PDA

View Full Version : looking for a unique fighting style

MassMonster
08-20-10, 5:54 pm
On the side of what i'm doing with powerlifting I really wanted to get into a fight style... always wanted to and i feel it'll help alot. BUT!! i don't want to learn karate, Kung Fu, or Jui jitsu. sorry it's not that i dont feel those are adiquete (SP?) but I wanted to learn something a bit more odd ... Svat sounded cool but then again it's kinda like kick boxing is it not? ... If i could find a Da Sheng school I'd deff hit that place up cuz stone monkey sounds awesome, but then again i'd have to move to china.. lol so any ideas on this?

ZombiePower
08-26-10, 4:12 pm
I would have to say honestly wrestling it so damn versatile the way you can train and actually better than brazilian jiu jitsu if you ever get a chance on youtube search wrestling versus brazilian jiu jitsu not that i have but its just more of a dominating style or ground game.versatile training types:honestly bro theres grappling competitions you can join to just get way more ground game expierience and be better than everyone else try it more people do wrestling or greco roman than bjj i dont know the usual price range for grappling tournament but google a local grappling organization that could give you some info.

Girevik 69
08-30-10, 9:38 am
On the side of what i'm doing with powerlifting I really wanted to get into a fight style... always wanted to and i feel it'll help alot. BUT!! i don't want to learn karate, Kung Fu, or Jui jitsu. sorry it's not that i dont feel those are adiquete (SP?) but I wanted to learn something a bit more odd ... Svat sounded cool but then again it's kinda like kick boxing is it not? ... If i could find a Da Sheng school I'd deff hit that place up cuz stone monkey sounds awesome, but then again i'd have to move to china.. lol so any ideas on this?

If you want to train in unarmed fighting methods that are genuinely effective, stick with striking styles like Western boxing and muay Thai, as well as grappling methods like Brazilian jiu-jitsu, judo, and Western wrestling (freestyle/folkstyle, & Greco-Roman); essentially, the arts that have proven effective in MMA competition.

Girevik 69
08-30-10, 9:45 am
I would have to say honestly wrestling it so damn versatile the way you can train and actually better than brazilian jiu jitsu if you ever get a chance on youtube search wrestling versus brazilian jiu jitsu not that i have but its just more of a dominating style or ground game.versatile training types:honestly bro theres grappling competitions you can join to just get way more ground game expierience and be better than everyone else try it more people do wrestling or greco roman than bjj i dont know the usual price range for grappling tournament but google a local grappling organization that could give you some info.

Son, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Claiming that wrestling is "actually better than" Brazilian jiu-jitsu is utter nonsense. Western wrestling is an excellent base for an MMA competitor to have, but it's only one component in a very complex fighting method. You have to keep in mind that EVERYONE in MMA these days cross-trains in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, including all those wrestlers. Modern Western wrestling styles (Freestyle, Folkstyle, & Greco-Roman) are great for teaching takedowns and takedown defense, as well as control on the ground, but they don't have submissions. That being the case, one has to learn the art of submission from elsewhere, and the single best method, which has proven itself over and over again, is Brazilian jiu-jitsu. More than any other single grappling art, Brazilian jiu-jitsu changed how NHB and MMA fighting developed. Other arts (eg., judo, sambo, CACC wrestling/Japanese shootwrestling) have submissions too, but none have a repertoire that is quite as comprehensive as that found in Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

MassMonster
08-30-10, 10:16 am

Claiming that wrestling is "actually better than" Brazilian jiu-jitsu is utter nonsense. Western wrestling is an excellent base for an MMA competitor to have, but it's only one component in a very complex fighting method. You have to keep in mind that EVERYONE in MMA these days cross-trains in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, including all those wrestlers. Modern Western wrestling styles (Freestyle, Folkstyle, & Greco-Roman) are great for teaching takedowns and takedown defense, as well as control on the ground, but they don't have submissions. That being the case, one has to learn the art of submission from elsewhere, and the single best method, which has proven itself over and over again, is Brazilian jiu-jitsu. More than any other single grappling art, Brazilian jiu-jitsu changed how NHB and MMA fighting developed. Other arts (eg., judo, sambo, CACC wrestling/Japanese shootwrestling) have submissions too, but none have a repertoire that is quite as comprehensive as that found in Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

judo I might do but I'm not into mma so again I didn't want to do bjj or wreslting muay Thai is a def yes but it's hard finding a place to learn it

Girevik 69
08-30-10, 10:57 am
judo I might do but I'm not into mma so again I didn't want to do bjj or wreslting muay Thai is a def yes but it's hard finding a place to learn it

Judo is certainly useful to learn, and should be considered. Another functional art that might fit into the "odd" (i.e., less common) category is sambo, which is a Russian synthesis of Kodokan judo, and around 20 indigenous Eurasian wrestling styles. It emphasizes high-amplitude throws and straight leglocks.

MassMonster
08-30-10, 2:24 pm
Judo is certainly useful to learn, and should be considered. Another functional art that might fit into the "odd" (i.e., less common) category is sambo, which is a Russian synthesis of Kodokan judo, and around 20 indigenous Eurasian wrestling styles. It emphasizes high-amplitude throws and straight leglocks.

do you currently study a martial art grievik?

cstmgp
08-30-10, 2:56 pm
I've trained muay thai for over 3 years now, best cardio I've ever done. It is in my opinion, a very effective stand up style, and will help greatly with your flexibility and coordination. A good gym can sometimes be hard to find as they dont always advertise, but if you ask around the local mma/gyms I'm sure you'll find one.
Shaun

TigerAce01
08-30-10, 4:22 pm
The oddest style I've ever seen is Capoiera. It will be difficult to find a good teacher, and even more difficult to find a teacher that teaches the actual combat style. Another great martial art to look into is Russian Sport Sambo. Sambo is actually a mix of every type of grappling, including wrestling, judo, jiu jitsu, and others. There is also Combat Sambo which mixes in striking, but is not a sport focused art, it was designed solely for combat. If you were in Greece, I would suggest Pancratia, but the art is basically dead other than in that part of the world.

-Ace

ZombiePower
08-30-10, 7:32 pm

sorry i dont know more about bjj but i am a wrestler and from watching many mma fights wrestling greco roman wrestling etc. is better but hey we all have our opinions

machineman
08-30-10, 9:20 pm
sorry i dont know more about bjj but i am a wrestler and from watching many mma fights wrestling greco roman wrestling etc. is better but hey we all have our opinions

It is better to start wrestling then move on to BJJ or JCJ after your wrestling is over. I love it when we get wrestlers in the Dojo because the first 6 months you guys do nothing but give up your back! It is a great building block going into MMA, but wrestling has some limitations. Just like I feel that BJJ has it's limitations. I study the art of Japanese Combat Jujitsu. It involves Judo, Jujitsu and Aikido. Don't get me wrong, as I have already stated, wrestlers have an advantage over someone coming in off the street without and wrestling experience. But, wrestling is not superior to BJJ/JCJ.

MassMonster
08-30-10, 9:26 pm
lol when did this become a mma thread lol

jrh0341
08-30-10, 11:55 pm
I don't know if "odd" or exotic is really the criteria you want to be choosing by. IF you intend ONLY to do show forms or competition then sure maybe, but still...

I'd say you want to look for a form that's effective and suited for you, not just a form that "sounds cool" when you talk about it.

While any person can learn and get good at any MA with enough practice, I'd say what you REALLY want to look at is what style is best suited to your bodytype. After all a skinny, flexible guy, a short wiry guy, a short stocky guy, and 6'4" 260lb iron pushing monster are all going to be a little bit better suited for different styles. Just something to think about.

Better to be very good at a mainstream or "ordinary" style that works than to be mediocre at some exotic cool sounding style .

jrh0341
08-31-10, 12:02 am
Also, while they have similarities, I wouldn't really call Savate "just kickboxing". I mean, Savate and Muay Thai can both be called kickboxing, but they are really different. If you want to get a pretty good general overview of some different styles, google or dload a show called "fightquest" and one called "human weapon". Both shows are pretty much the same. Basically, each episode the study a different fighting style. They explain it, the osts go to the country of origin, they do some interviews, and the hosts spend the week training with some master teacher for the style, then at the end of the show they do an exhibition or sparring match with a fighter from the style.

MassMonster
08-31-10, 12:48 am
by no means am i doing this to brag or sumthing cool.... like i said savate and muay thai would be something i would really be interested in... i dont want to do things like BJJ or anything required for MMA .. personally i rather not learn those and the reason i dont want to learn karate or kung fu is the fact when you walk into some of these schools dojos or what have you you don't learn the authentic style you learn a watered down strike and kick class.... not that i'm saying this is always the case... but every corner theres some tiger schulmanns knockoff claiming to teach those two.... personally for me martial arts training is a spiritual training as well as a physical ... so if i have to hunt for the place thats no problem hence the request for an odd style... not for the coolness bc who the fuck cares right? i certainly don't... the odder the style the more likely it will be a school or dojo that will teach you a clearer session of the true art... but thats my opinion on this... so If i confused people into thinking i want to compete in a style or want to look cool using a fighting style thats not what i meant, and apologize if i came off like that... now what i was considering so far

Judo
Muay Thai
JKD -maybe im seeing too many concepts schools around here
Aikido
Kendo -not a striking MA but like stated not really entirely what i'm looking for

Girevik 69
08-31-10, 8:49 am
do you currently study a martial art grievik?

Not currently. Over the years I have trained in Western fencing (modern French foil & saber), Filipino eskrima (stick, sword, & knife fighting), and Brazilian jiu-jitsu. I am considering a return to both fencing (classical Italian and Spanish saber, this time) and BJJ.

Girevik 69
08-31-10, 8:53 am

Hate to break it to you, but it's not something open to debate. We're not dealing with "opinion", we're dealing with hard facts. Wrestling is only one of several components in MMA, and those wrestlers you see in the UFC and other MMA venues all cross-train in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. That should tell you something right there.

Girevik 69
08-31-10, 9:00 am
The oddest style I've ever seen is Capoiera. It will be difficult to find a good teacher, and even more difficult to find a teacher that teaches the actual combat style. Another great martial art to look into is Russian Sport Sambo. Sambo is actually a mix of every type of grappling, including wrestling, judo, jiu jitsu, and others. There is also Combat Sambo which mixes in striking, but is not a sport focused art, it was designed solely for combat. If you were in Greece, I would suggest Pancratia, but the art is basically dead other than in that part of the world.

-Ace

I personally question the actual effectivenes of capoiera as a fighting system. It appears that individual techniques from it have practical application, but for the art as a whole, I'm not so sure.

Sambo is comparable to judo. The "Combat Sambo" is a recent development, resulting from the popularity of MMA.

As for the Greek art of pancration (or, as the Romans called it, pancratium), it's been dead for centuries. There are various folks (both native Greeks, and Americans of Greek descent) who are trying to "reconstruct" pancration, but it's not as if the art actually survived from Ancient Greek times. The closest thing these days to pancration is modern MMA.

Girevik 69
08-31-10, 9:08 am
Also, while they have similarities, I wouldn't really call Savate "just kickboxing". I mean, Savate and Muay Thai can both be called kickboxing, but they are really different.

"Kickboxing" is simply a general term for martials arts of the combat sport type (i.e., where the training centers on working with resisting opponents, and honing one's skills via competitions), that focus on fighting with the fists and feet. That being the case, both muay Thai and savate are indeed "kickboxing" methods. In addition to the fists and feet, muay Thai makes a judicious use of knee and elbow strikes. Thai boxers kick with the shin, and it feels like getting hit with a baseball bat. Savateurs, on the other hand, wear hard-toed kicking shoes, and getting hit with such kicks reportedly feels like being struck by a ballpeen hammer.

Girevik 69
08-31-10, 10:09 am
Here's an art you don't see every day... jukendo (Japanese bayonet fencing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v0QEwZmiIU

Good luck finding an instructor, though. And the equipment is expensive.

MassMonster
08-31-10, 1:55 pm
Here's an art you don't see every day... jukendo (Japanese bayonet fencing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v0QEwZmiIU

Good luck finding an instructor, though. And the equipment is expensive.

going to PM you

Legacy
08-31-10, 2:12 pm
If you want to learn a martial arts form you really need to understand what you want to achieve. Are you fighting to do tournaments, do you want to step in a ring, or do you just want another activity? You also need to learn a base. It is good to learn a lot of arts because it gives you a lot of leeway, however having a base and building from that is your best option, you can never know too much.

I train in martial arts and my specific base is Karate. Although that is my base, my main practice is Wing Chun. I prefer Wing Chun because it is a close combat technique and it incorporates a lot of sensitivity training and being able to flow from one movement to another if something fails.

But like I said earlier bro, you really gotta understand what you want to accomplish. I go to seminars and learn other arts from some of the top Sensais. I myself do not compete in tournaments. I train for one specific purpose and that is knowing when I step out of the front door of my house I will return that same day. I am not going to let someone else dictate where how and when my life will end, I train so I have ability to protect myself in any given situation. There is a big difference between stepping on a tournament stage and going head to head with a guy for points VS. being attacked in the street by someone who may or may not have a weapon as well. Your life is the one thing you have, don't let someone else take it from you without a fight.

ZombiePower
09-01-10, 11:43 pm
It is better to start wrestling then move on to BJJ or JCJ after your wrestling is over. I love it when we get wrestlers in the Dojo because the first 6 months you guys do nothing but give up your back! It is a great building block going into MMA, but wrestling has some limitations. Just like I feel that BJJ has it's limitations. I study the art of Japanese Combat Jujitsu. It involves Judo, Jujitsu and Aikido. Don't get me wrong, as I have already stated, wrestlers have an advantage over someone coming in off the street without and wrestling experience. But, wrestling is not superior to BJJ/JCJ.

true true i'll do more research on that

ZombiePower
09-01-10, 11:45 pm
Hate to break it to you, but it's not something open to debate. We're not dealing with "opinion", we're dealing with hard facts. Wrestling is only one of several components in MMA, and those wrestlers you see in the UFC and other MMA venues all cross-train in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. That should tell you something right there.

i get the point now just leave it at that

Topher
11-17-10, 7:53 am
If you are already used to western fencing why not do Jeet kune do. Bruce lee started jeet kune do from the basis of western fencing/ fighting distance/measure.If you need more info just reply of pm me.

damn just seen this is a 2 month old thread but o well. 2 cents.

jandirigma
12-02-10, 8:15 pm
Wing Chun and Shuai Jiao seem to complement each other well. I've never studied them, but looking at the execution, they're rather practical and seem to mesh well. The low kicks of Wing Chun seem like they can easily be transitioned into Shuai Jiao's trips. Plus, the hand techniques of Wing Chun look like they can easily be used to do the grapples in Shuai Jiao. Either way, both arts can provide a practical alternative for the usual striking and grappling arts commonly practiced, such as Muay Thai and BJJ. The movements of boths styles are pretty efficient too. Hope this helps, bro.

Girevik 69
12-03-10, 11:28 am
Wing Chun and Shuai Jiao seem to complement each other well. I've never studied them, but looking at the execution, they're rather practical and seem to mesh well. The low kicks of Wing Chun seem like they can easily be transitioned into Shuai Jiao's trips. Plus, the hand techniques of Wing Chun look like they can easily be used to do the grapples in Shuai Jiao. Either way, both arts can provide a practical alternative for the usual striking and grappling arts commonly practiced, such as Muay Thai and BJJ. The movements of boths styles are pretty efficient too. Hope this helps, bro.

You make an interesting point about combining Wing Chun with a grappling art, because Wing Chun is severely lacking in one obvious aspect--i.e., it's a close-range boxing style that has no grappling of its own, and since WC practitioners are always "in the pocket", they're vulnerable to the clinch, takedowns, and groundwork. However, shuai jiao is problematic as well, for a couple of reasons. It is not competed on the same level as, say, sambo or judo; therefore, the talent pool is smaller and arguably lower. Also, unlike sambo, judo, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and catch wrestling/shootfighting, there's no groundwork, which is a serious weakness.

Western boxing and Thai boxing, on the other hand, have very large talent pools. When these proven striking arts are combined with grappling (wrestling, BJJ, etc), the result is a very potent MMA mix.

MassMonster
12-03-10, 4:32 pm
i think this has turned into quite the interesting debate ... and i ask all of you this. the ma guys now are seen as some potent fighters across the world. but would you guys say alot of them are "watered" down fighters? i see an effectiveness for mixing styles especially for mma. although for the most part if an MMA striker was to be put up again a pro boxer or perhaps a seasoned thai fighter don't you think the authenticity of their art would actually be seen? I know this isn't what i originally asked but at this point in time i've been asking this question alot of myself especially now that i have taken up boxing. As well as been in the pursuit of finding a gym to train it at. Alot of MMA fighters boast to be the best fighters out there. Tho i see many items lack in the styles they are said to use so i wanted to see what everyone else thought since most of the time i get asked why box when u can just learn bjj and mma styles?

Girevik 69
12-03-10, 6:32 pm
i think this has turned into quite the interesting debate ... and i ask all of you this. the ma guys now are seen as some potent fighters across the world. but would you guys say alot of them are "watered" down fighters? i see an effectiveness for mixing styles especially for mma. although for the most part if an MMA striker was to be put up again a pro boxer or perhaps a seasoned thai fighter don't you think the authenticity of their art would actually be seen? I know this isn't what i originally asked but at this point in time i've been asking this question alot of myself especially now that i have taken up boxing. As well as been in the pursuit of finding a gym to train it at. Alot of MMA fighters boast to be the best fighters out there. Tho i see many items lack in the styles they are said to use so i wanted to see what everyone else thought since most of the time i get asked why box when u can just learn bjj and mma styles?

Western boxing is an excellent martial art and combat sport, and is considered by many to be the premiere method for employing one's hands. When the Republican-era Chinese Army was working on a new hand-to-hand system for its troops in the 1930s, they turned to Western boxing, for hand technique. They actually came to the conclusion that Western boxing was superior to their own methods (kung-fu), in terms of producing competent fighters in a reasonable amount of time. And so, Western boxing formed the basis for san shou's punching arsenal. Boxing is certainly well worth training in.

However, striking with the hands is merely one of many elements, to be found in unarmed combat. That's where MMA comes in. The idea is to become competent in all the areas of unarmed fighting--eg., standup striking, clinchwork, throws, takedowns, takedown defense, ground control, submissions, striking on the ground, etc. To do this, MMA fighters obviously have to train in multiple skillsets, which takes time. Because they have so many things to study, MMA fighters occasionally receive critical commentary, regarding their abilities in specific skillsets. For example, boxing trainer Freddie Roach is sharply critical of the boxing skills of most MMA fighters today, though he points out that there are still some competitors with top-level boxing skills in the game--folks like Anderson Silva, B.J. Penn, and Andrei Arlovski. Some people say, "put an MMA fighter against a boxer in a boxing match, and the MMA fighter will lose"--but that really shouldn't come as a surprise. An MMA fighter who does not originally come from a boxing background himself will logically lose more often than not, to a seasoned boxer in a boxing match. But, if you reverse the situation, and place a boxer with little or no MMA skills against an MMA fighter in an MMA match, the boxer will quickly fall (as James Toney did to Randy Couture).

That's why MMA started in the first place. When the UFC began in the early 1990s, it was not "Mixed Martial Arts"--it was a No-Holds-Barred "Style vs. Style" competition--eg., karate vs. judo, savate vs. BJJ, et al. One thing that the contestants quickly learned is that, when a pure striker (like a boxer or kickboxer) faces a pure grappler (like a BJJ player or even a freestyle wrestler who doesn't know submissions), the grappler will win 9 times out of 10. This was shocking in the martial arts community at the time, but people who were cognizant of the history of combat sports were not shocked, because during the early 1900s, there were frequent "mixed matches" between Western wrestlers, Western boxers, and Japanese jujutsuka/judoka. Even famous boxing champs like "Gentleman" Jim Corbett conceded that boxers were ill-equipped to face wrestlers. During these bouts, the grapplers usually won. Thus, the early 1990s UFC was simply history repeating itself.

With that being the case, certain strikers decided to even the playing field, and started to cross-train in wrestling and BJJ. This, in turn, forced pure grapplers to learn how to punch and kick. And thus, the UFC went from the "Style vs. Style" format to true Mixed Martial Arts--essentially a modern incarnation of the ancient Greek pankration. The methods which have actually been proven to have genuine application include Brazilian jiu-jitsu; sambo; judo; Western freestyle, Greco-Roman, & catch-as-catch-can wrestling; Western boxing; muay Thai; Japanese shootfighting (which is itself a synthesis of catch wrestling, judo, & Thai boxing); and some hard-styles of karate, like kyokushin. Despite the fact that some of these methods are for striking, and some are for grappling, the one thing they all have in common is that they are combat sports, and thus they embrace the training methodology of constantly working with resisting opponents, which enables the practitioners to develop the necessary attributes to apply their techniques in real situations.

So MassMonster, what exactly do you find "lacking" in MMA?

MassMonster
12-03-10, 10:14 pm
by no means am I putting down the sport . so let me get that notion out of the way right off the bat. I see many guys train hard and work hard no doubt but for alot of fighters, and let me point out i'm not sayin all MMA artists but alot seem over rated in a sense. I get that you will find this in every sport but my main problem is the way it's presented, almost like your watching a wwe scripted event of drama, trash talking, and bloated boasting. but when the fight comes on even tho they show some strikes grapples and etc. it leaves u with a bad taste in your mouth. I understand this is what happens to sports thats are over televised but if one said person says they are the best and no one is their equal you expect more from said individual and even tho i havent watched UFC and XFC , etc in a while from what i have watched and seen from common bouts from various people i know in the area, i see poor form wild punches little to no defense , and without such things isnt that just considered brawling?

just my thoughts on the matter. I respect all the guys who train hard to compete , no matter the sport.

Girevik 69
12-04-10, 6:50 pm
by no means am I putting down the sport . so let me get that notion out of the way right off the bat. I see many guys train hard and work hard no doubt but for alot of fighters, and let me point out i'm not sayin all MMA artists but alot seem over rated in a sense. I get that you will find this in every sport but my main problem is the way it's presented, almost like your watching a wwe scripted event of drama, trash talking, and bloated boasting.

This isn't unique to MMA. The trash-talking and sensationalism are seen in boxing, too.

but when the fight comes on even tho they show some strikes grapples and etc. it leaves u with a bad taste in your mouth. I understand this is what happens to sports thats are over televised but if one said person says they are the best and no one is their equal you expect more from said individual and even tho i havent watched UFC and XFC , etc in a while from what i have watched and seen from common bouts from various people i know in the area, i see poor form wild punches little to no defense , and without such things isnt that just considered brawling?

There are good strikers and not-so-good strikers in MMA, just as there are good grapplers and not-so-good grapplers--but the key is that the competitors have to have at least some competence in all the areas of unarmed combat, if they are going to be successful. Many MMA fighters start out with a foundation in one art, and build around that. Some remain "specialists," known for potent striking or slick submissions, while others are much more well-rounded.

You can find plenty of MMA athletes these days that have top-notch skills. For boxing, I already mentioned Anderson Silva, B.J. Penn, and Andrei Arlovski. And there have been other good strikers, who come from kickboxing, muay Thai, and san shou backgrounds--folks like Maurice Smith, Bas Rutten, Mirko "CroCop", and Chung Le. Grappling is obviously well represented in MMA, with many top-level Brazilian jiu-jitsu exponents (eg., Renzo Gracie, B.J. Penn, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, etc.); International- and Olympic-level freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestlers (eg., Randy Couture, Matt Lindland, Dan Henderson, Jon "Bones" Jones, etc.); sambo and judo players (Fedor Emelianenko, Andrei Arlovski, Sergei Kharitonov, Karo Paryisian, Hidehiko Yoshida, & Kazuhiro Nakamura); and catch wrestling exponents (Kazushi Sakuraba & Josh Barnett, for example). There are fighters with extremely well-rounded skillsets, like Georges St. Pierre, Anderson Silva, B.J. Penn, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, Jon "Bones" Jones, Fedor Emelianenko, Andrei Arlovski, and so on.