PDA

View Full Version : Hi, question about legs

Ambushstealth
08-29-10, 12:40 am
Hello, for my 3 years of working out I have always had trouble gaining size on my quads, hamstrings and calves (I would like to add size so I look symmetrical and weigh more).
I do (3 sets 6 reps) of full squats, hack squats, stiff leg deadlifts, leg curls and calves (2 sets 6 reps) I super set donkey calves raise machine with a angled weighted calves raise machine.
my lower body gains haven't been so well, but I eat every 2 hrs which I just started this july, I am seeing the best results I have ever gotten in my upper body lol.
I wore pants all summer because my calves are very small and it makes me look unsymmetrical.
when I asked a trainer at the gym he told me that the sets that I am doing are great, but I am not doing enough reps.
I would like to know everyone's take on this.
I also just noticed that my left leg (19 inches) is a half inch smaller than my right leg (19.5 inches) should I be worried about this? O_o

BTW I workout my legs tomorrow this is why I am asking right now so I can kill it in the gym tomorrow.
also I am trying not to make this a unnecessary post I just would like personal opinions that I can try tomorrow.
Thanks for reading this

SpankyC
08-29-10, 2:41 am
Hello, for my 3 years of working out I have always had trouble gaining size on my quads, hamstrings and calves (I would like to add size so I look symmetrical and weigh more).
I do (3 sets 6 reps) of full squats, hack squats, stiff leg deadlifts, leg curls and calves (2 sets 6 reps) I super set donkey calves raise machine with a angled weighted calves raise machine.
my lower body gains haven't been so well, but I eat every 2 hrs which I just started this july, I am seeing the best results I have ever gotten in my upper body lol.
I wore pants all summer because my calves are very small and it makes me look unsymmetrical.
when I asked a trainer at the gym he told me that the sets that I am doing are great, but I am not doing enough reps.
I would like to know everyone's take on this.
I also just noticed that my left leg (19 inches) is a half inch smaller than my right leg (19.5 inches) should I be worried about this? O_o

BTW I workout my legs tomorrow this is why I am asking right now so I can kill it in the gym tomorrow.
also I am trying not to make this a unnecessary post I just would like personal opinions that I can try tomorrow.
Thanks for reading this

Typically quads respond to some what higher reps around 8-20, hams most of the time demand heavy low reps 6-8. Calves is really a genetic bodypart but with hardwork doing insane shit may do the trick, I mean Ahhnold did insane stuff like train his calves every freakin day for awhile and it triggered some growth for him....mix it up everytime you train here for example follow this and tweak it--

oh and train like a maniac...drop sets...supersets.....blood and guts baby...

warm up knees with 5 min cardio leg ex 3x25 light, 3 light warm up sets of squats

front squats 3x8-20 (what ever stance is comfortable)
leg press or hacks 2x20-30 (narrow stance,knees to chest)
squats 5x20 (killer!)

for hams

leg curl 4x6-10
stiff deads 3x6-8

then after your back day, after your regular deads, double up with hams and do another 2 sets of stiff deads of 6-8 reps, developing those hams are very important, i use to get all sorts of knee pain and squat balance issues, now after training my hams hard, boom, nailed it, pain free

for calves really any kind of calf press or raise, high sets, high reps, squeeze the postive and the negative, low rest time between sets

Offerstoff
08-29-10, 2:49 am
how long have you been doing 3x6? I would suggest to change it up. Go to 4x12 or 3x15 or something similar. I'd also throw in some leg extensions after hacks to really fill out and fatigue the quads. I've had good results going from a low rep scheme to a high rep scheme. Just find what setup works for you. Personally I get the best growth out of 4-8, but changing over to higher reps (12+) I can really shock the muscles out of plateaus.

Another thing that has worked for me is focusing more on the eccentric portion of the lift. Really focusing on keeping the muscles tight with slow eccentric (3-5 sec) and explosive concentric along with a higher rep scheme really tears up my muscles, giving me a crazy pump.

Just change it around (different order of lifts, different lifts, set/rep schemes, etc), sticking to a different program for 4-6 weeks and see how it works for you. Almost everything about weight training is anecdotal, so you just need to keep changing it around until you find something that works for you.

noend
08-29-10, 3:14 am
push yourself harder...

Many people stop working legs when the real work is just starting... Your legs can handle a beating so thrash them and they'll grow. Do some 20 rep sets with what you feel is moderately heavy weight(have someone you trust telling you to keep going behind you). You'll tear through a mental barrier that's holding you back.

If you don't feel like walking death after training legs you need to think again before you grab your keys to leave.

Ambushstealth
08-29-10, 3:55 am
Typically quads respond to some what higher reps around 8-20, hams most of the time demand heavy low reps 6-8. Calves is really a genetic bodypart but with hardwork doing insane shit may do the trick, I mean Ahhnold did insane stuff like train his calves every freakin day for awhile and it triggered some growth for him....mix it up everytime you train here for example follow this and tweak it--

oh and train like a maniac...drop sets...supersets.....blood and guts baby...

warm up knees with 5 min cardio leg ex 3x25 light, 3 light warm up sets of squats

front squats 3x8-20 (what ever stance is comfortable)
leg press or hacks 2x20-30 (narrow stance,knees to chest)
squats 5x20 (killer!)

for hams

leg curl 4x6-10
stiff deads 3x6-8

then after your back day, after your regular deads, double up with hams and do another 2 sets of stiff deads of 6-8 reps, developing those hams are very important, i use to get all sorts of knee pain and squat balance issues, now after training my hams hard, boom, nailed it, pain free

for calves really any kind of calf press or raise, high sets, high reps, squeeze the postive and the negative, low rest time between sets

thanks SpankyC I will try the higher reps and also I have never done front squats before maybe that's why my quads are bad who knows lol. Thank you a lot for the setup I really appreciate it, I will try it tomorrow and increase my food intake on leg days from now on.

Ambushstealth
08-29-10, 4:02 am
how long have you been doing 3x6? I would suggest to change it up. Go to 4x12 or 3x15 or something similar. I'd also throw in some leg extensions after hacks to really fill out and fatigue the quads. I've had good results going from a low rep scheme to a high rep scheme. Just find what setup works for you. Personally I get the best growth out of 4-8, but changing over to higher reps (12+) I can really shock the muscles out of plateaus.

Another thing that has worked for me is focusing more on the eccentric portion of the lift. Really focusing on keeping the muscles tight with slow eccentric (3-5 sec) and explosive concentric along with a higher rep scheme really tears up my muscles, giving me a crazy pump.

Just change it around (different order of lifts, different lifts, set/rep schemes, etc), sticking to a different program for 4-6 weeks and see how it works for you. Almost everything about weight training is anecdotal, so you just need to keep changing it around until you find something that works for you.

thanks Offerstoff I've been doing 3x6 for almost 3 months now, before that I used to pyramid 7,5,3. I will def change up the sets, reps and try new exercises. also I think I am going down too fast on the exercises (squats and hack squats) I will go slower and drop the weight. thanks again I appreciate it

Ambushstealth
08-29-10, 4:15 am
push yourself harder...

Many people stop working legs when the real work is just starting... Your legs can handle a beating so thrash them and they'll grow. Do some 20 rep sets with what you feel is moderately heavy weight(have someone you trust telling you to keep going behind you). You'll tear through a mental barrier that's holding you back.

If you don't feel like walking death after training legs you need to think again before you grab your keys to leave.

thanks noend I will def try 20 reps it sounds fun but hard. I will give it my all on leg day from now on, thanks for the boost I appreciate it

Ambushstealth
08-29-10, 4:21 am
thanks to all who posted I will tell you how today's leg day goes and I subbed to your journeys. I think I will begin a journey for myself later on today!

mcbeast
08-29-10, 3:28 pm
thanks to all who posted I will tell you how today's leg day goes and I subbed to your journeys. I think I will begin a journey for myself later on today!

Good stuff. Like some of the other members said, legs can take a huge beating. For 20 rep squats, pick something you know will be pretty hard for 10. Then you grow a pair, and keep em going til 20. 1,2,3 at a time, whatever. Just get to 20. Good luck.

MassMonster
08-29-10, 3:40 pm
I think you should take a different approach from what the normal bodybuilding design is set upon... I say this because when i used to bodybuild for shows and such my legs really didn't pull thru all that much.. and like the others said they can take a real beating... My legs didn't really kick start until i started powerlifting and even tho i don't do all the other things to hit legs every which way they have grown significantly more and more than they ever have and i really don't go over 5 reps... so heres my throw at you... take it or leave it for what it's worth.. Squat off percentages do like a warm up set so say 50-60% rep set of 5 then go up 10% do 2 sets of 4-5 then go up to maybe 80-85% and do 4-5 sets of 3-4 5 if your up to it

then after wards hop on the leg press and pyramid for 5-8 reps or do front squats and pyramid on percentages again

then i would say finish up with Glut ham raises aka good mornings for about 5 sets that 'll hit all the things you need them to

SpankyC
08-29-10, 5:46 pm
so howd your leg training go bro?

Ambushstealth
08-29-10, 6:18 pm
went to the gym today and this is how my leg day looked
did the 5 min cardio machine
2 warm up sets on the leg extension machine
2 warm up sets of squats
3 sets of full squats 10,10,15 tried to get 20 but I failed (my legs gave out good thing I always use the squat rack with the saftey bars because my spotter wasn't here today lol)
3 sets of hack squats 10,10,20 I was really mad that I missed 20 on the squats so I got it on the hack squat and when I was done I felt like throwing up (serious)
3 sets of 6 on the stiff leg dead lifts and lying hamstring curls (tried to do 4 sets for curls but my legs were wobbling)
2 sets as many as I can do super set with the donkey calves raises and the other weird angled calves machine.
I lowered the weight that I use, went down slower and more controlled.
today's workout felt better than any other leg workout I've ever done.
I tried to do front squats, but my form was bad so I have to work on those.
when I get the movement down I will definitely add them to my routine.
do you suggest that I keep doing this for a month?

intoodeep25
08-29-10, 6:41 pm
heres my leg routine that i follow

first up is squats. i do these 5/3/1 style, hard and heavy, always making strength progress

next is leg extensions. i pyramid these starting with 100 lbs for 20, going up to 225/250 for 8-10. usually 5/6 sets total

next is front squats. by this time my legs are fried, and these kill me. i stay in the 8-12 rep range and keep it heavy. you should really focus on feeling your quads here and getting a good stretch. great lift

most sessions i add ham curls in here, but some days i cut them out based on how i feel by this time.

i finish with lunges. usually 20 reps here for 4 sets.

after that i hit the neck harness for 3 sets and my leg day is done

just a sample for you to nibble on and see if you like

SpankyC
08-29-10, 6:41 pm
went to the gym today and this is how my leg day looked
did the 5 min cardio machine
2 warm up sets on the leg extension machine
2 warm up sets of squats
3 sets of full squats 10,10,15 tried to get 20 but I failed (my legs gave out good thing I always use the squat rack with the saftey bars because my spotter wasn't here today lol)
3 sets of hack squats 10,10,20 I was really mad that I missed 20 on the squats so I got it on the hack squat and when I was done I felt like throwing up (serious)
3 sets of 6 on the stiff leg dead lifts and lying hamstring curls (tried to do 4 sets for curls but my legs were wobbling)
2 sets as many as I can do super set with the donkey calves raises and the other weird angled calves machine.
I lowered the weight that I use, went down slower and more controlled.
today's workout felt better than any other leg workout I've ever done.
I tried to do front squats, but my form was bad so I have to work on those.
when I get the movement down I will definitely add them to my routine.
do you suggest that I keep doing this for a month?

always keep the full squats in there week after week, itl def pay off, but alternate with the hack squat and leg press, oh and alternate foot positions every week so that you wont get bored with doing the same thing over and over again

Ambushstealth
08-29-10, 6:56 pm
Good stuff. Like some of the other members said, legs can take a huge beating. For 20 rep squats, pick something you know will be pretty hard for 10. Then you grow a pair, and keep em going til 20. 1,2,3 at a time, whatever. Just get to 20. Good luck.

thanks EXCESSIVE I will always keep that in mind and try to pull through next time with the 20 reps. I appreciate it

Ambushstealth
08-29-10, 7:10 pm
I think you should take a different approach from what the normal bodybuilding design is set upon... I say this because when i used to bodybuild for shows and such my legs really didn't pull thru all that much.. and like the others said they can take a real beating... My legs didn't really kick start until i started powerlifting and even tho i don't do all the other things to hit legs every which way they have grown significantly more and more than they ever have and i really don't go over 5 reps... so heres my throw at you... take it or leave it for what it's worth.. Squat off percentages do like a warm up set so say 50-60% rep set of 5 then go up 10% do 2 sets of 4-5 then go up to maybe 80-85% and do 4-5 sets of 3-4 5 if your up to it

then after wards hop on the leg press and pyramid for 5-8 reps or do front squats and pyramid on percentages again

then i would say finish up with Glut ham raises aka good mornings for about 5 sets that 'll hit all the things you need them to

thanks MassMonster I think this is a great idea for when I switch between high and low reps. I appreciate it, I will keep this in mind.

Ambushstealth
08-29-10, 7:24 pm
heres my leg routine that i follow

first up is squats. i do these 5/3/1 style, hard and heavy, always making strength progress

next is leg extensions. i pyramid these starting with 100 lbs for 20, going up to 225/250 for 8-10. usually 5/6 sets total

next is front squats. by this time my legs are fried, and these kill me. i stay in the 8-12 rep range and keep it heavy. you should really focus on feeling your quads here and getting a good stretch. great lift

most sessions i add ham curls in here, but some days i cut them out based on how i feel by this time.

i finish with lunges. usually 20 reps here for 4 sets.

after that i hit the neck harness for 3 sets and my leg day is done

just a sample for you to nibble on and see if you like

thanks intoodeep25 5/3/1 I will have to look that up, the routine looks good. I cant wait till I get down the correct form for front squats. thanks for posting your routine I appreciate it.

Ambushstealth
08-29-10, 7:35 pm
always keep the full squats in there week after week, itl def pay off, but alternate with the hack squat and leg press, oh and alternate foot positions every week so that you wont get bored with doing the same thing over and over again

thanks once again SpankyC. I will do leg press and I will try the new foot positions next week.

VANDAL340
08-30-10, 8:59 am
You should definitely try 10x10 on squats. I don't have problem with quads but 10x10 helped me and many others.

And 3x6 all the time in squats is definitely to low, you should try more reps. And you should fuck out all extensions/curls and do lunges with BB or DB... so More squats + lunges + stiff leg DL will do the trick definitely!!!

Aggression
08-30-10, 10:08 am
For quads, I typically stay a big higher on the reps. For Leg Press, its usually 10 at the lowest, with most sets being 15-20. Hacks and BB Squats I go for 8-12 or w/e. Hammer them legs bro. I saw some great gains when I split them up into different workouts; quads alone on Sunday and hamstrings after shoulders on Thursday.

Don't worry about the .5in differential. Everyone has a stronger side.

Here's a typical overall leg workout for me:
Leg Curl: 2 warm ups and 3 full sets 10-12
Leg Press: 1 warm up, 3 x 15-20
BB Squat: 1 warm up, 3 x 6-10
DB Lunge: 3 trips up and back
DB Stiff Leg Deadlifts: 3 x 10

Quad only:
Leg Extensions: 2 warm ups, 3 x 15-20
Hack Squat: 4 x 6-10
Front Squat: 4 x 8-10
Single Leg Press: 3 x 15-20

Hamstrings after shoulders: