PDA

View Full Version : Ufc 118

HIGA MONSTER
08-29-10, 11:17 pm
I'm still pissed at BJ, Coronato.

Frankie was WAY better than what BJ faced in Abu Dhabi. My hats off to him cause he showed that he wasn't a fluke. That fucker is fast with his feints and is scary to think of in the future.

Its going to be an exciting fight between him and Maynard.

Higa's fight of the night: J-Lo whooping ass on Gabe! I still remember that fool not making weight on TUF that BJ & Pulver coached.

HIGA MONSTER

Girevik 69
08-30-10, 9:34 am
Frankie just utterly tooled B.J. He definitely showed that the first fight wasn't a fluke. He out-fought Penn on the feet again, despite B.J. not hanging back, like he did during their first meeting. Edgar also out-grappled Penn, using his superlative wrestling skills. He scored some impressive takedowns, and he out-scrambled Penn repeatedly. Props to Edgar for a great match.

It was also great to see Randy Couture show the boxing community what MMA is all about. There have been various high-profile folks in the boxing community, both fighters (eg., Floyd Mayweather) and boxing historians/sportswriters (eg., Bert Sugar) who have dismissed MMA. They clearly have no idea about the history of combat sports in general. If they did, they'd realize that there is indeed a science to MMA; it requires, in fact, competence in multiple skillsets. They'd also do well to note that there were countless "mixed matches" between Western boxers and various types of grapplers (catch wrestlers & judoka/jujutsuka), from circa 1900 onwards (long before the advent of the UFC, PRIDE, etc), and that the grapplers typically won those engagements. Now, if boxers choose to compete in MMA and actually cross-train in wrestling, jiu-jitsu, etc., that's a different story. But they won't get far in MMA just with boxing, and the Couture/Toney bout proved that yet again.

Girevik 69
08-30-10, 9:55 am
Props also to Edgar for his amazing cardio... it reminds me of what the legendary Karl Gotch said, "Conditioning is your best submission hold".

C.Coronato
08-30-10, 9:57 am
It was a great fight, im honestly surprised how well it turned out. Edgar's stamina is just unmatched so far. From the beginning of the fight to the end he is always bobbing and never stops. Im interested to see where BJ goes from here .. back up to welter? Or back with a vengeance?

PS i guess the GTL with the Jersey Shore helped hahah.

HIGA MONSTER
08-30-10, 10:41 am
It was a great fight, im honestly surprised how well it turned out. Edgar's stamina is just unmatched so far. From the beginning of the fight to the end he is always bobbing and never stops. Im interested to see where BJ goes from here .. back up to welter? Or back with a vengeance?

PS i guess the GTL with the Jersey Shore helped hahah.

Dude,
Frankie bobs around so much, I don't know how you could time your punches. It was ridiculous.
And he took BJ down so easy.

I don't like when BJ comes out calm like that. As soon as he walked out, I was not liking it. If he comes out looking nuts, thats the BJ I like to see fight.

HIGA MONSTER

Girevik 69
08-30-10, 10:55 am
Dude,
Frankie bobs around so much, I don't know how you could time your punches. It was ridiculous.
And he took BJ down so easy.

I don't like when BJ comes out calm like that. As soon as he walked out, I was not liking it. If he comes out looking nuts, thats the BJ I like to see fight.

HIGA MONSTER

B.J. is something of a paradoxical fighter. His talent is undeniable; he has excellent boxing skills and hits like a truck, his takedown defense is sick, and his Brazilian jiu-jitsu skills are legendary. That being said, his work ethic does not seem to be the best--he's the antithesis (training-wise) of folks like GSP (and Frankie Edgar, for that matter). His conditioning is usually questionable. He also seems inconsistent emotionally (much like Vitor Belfort, as well as old-time boxers like Jack Sharkey). Those factors make for a problematic MMA competitor.