PDA

View Full Version : Tonsillectomy help

BigTimCoats
08-31-10, 1:07 am
Hey guys. First off i apologize if this is in the wrong section but i believe this will not only help me out but other Animals out there going through this procedure. I have been diagnosed with Sleep apnea and chronic tonsillitis so they have to be yanked out which have been affecting my training this past year. I'm only 18 so weird huh? Anyways, Aprox. 400,000 Americans undergo a Tonsillectomy each year. I am going under the knife so to speak on Thursday the 2nd of September. I wanted to see if any fellow animals here have undergown this procedure and what they've done to cope through it. Recovery can take anywhere from one week up to three and my biggest worry is losing size and strength due to no being able to eat like normal. I am going to try and force down as much food as possible but it might be harder than expected. Can anybody comment or give some advice if they've been through a Tonsillectomy on what to eat since it'll be difficult with such a sore throat.

Another factor too this is the downtime from the gym. I plan on going on brisk walks on the treadmill and stairstepper(Medication/Drugs allowing.) But the doc told me to stay away from resistance training for ten days. What do you guys think about this process? I really am not looking forward to taking a break from my training and diet but it is necessary for me to be healthy. Thanks for the help and support guys and i hope my experience will help others out there who have to undergo this procedure.

mritter3
08-31-10, 8:11 am
alright brother...i was 29 when i had my tonsils out...and it was last year, the surgery was not bad, u start on clear liquids for a few days and slowly advance to soft foods, u will know when your ready for soft foods, everyone is different, i had eggs, toast, ice cream, protein shakes, flavor ice, make sure u dont over due it the first few days, cause i did and i was throwing up for 3 straight days, believe me its better to go slow then to take steps back and have to start over again, as far as when i got back to the gym it was probably like 12 days, and i started again very slow, light weights and cardio and slowly got back into it...hope this helps man.

BigTimCoats
09-02-10, 1:06 am
Thanks for the help. I am getting them ripped out bright and early at 7:30am tommorow morning. I will keep you guys posted on how everything goes! And i will keep a daily journal to help others who might be going through the same procedure. Wish me luck!

mritter3
09-02-10, 8:29 am
best of luck bud.