PDA

View Full Version : Need editor for my diet.

haveAvarice
08-31-10, 8:05 pm
First let me say thanks to everyone who contributes to this.

I'm a college freshman who's been in the lifting scene for 4 years, though due to some injuries from sports those 4 years unfortunately were not consistent. Up until a year ago I lived my life relying on supplements only (i.e. eating anything, then taking supps and expecting gains...) Well... I was fuc_ _ _ _ wrong wasn't I?

I want to get into the bodybuilding scene and have made a rough draft of a diet, I haven't much money, but I did buy some grains in bulk a month ago for school (60 lbs of brown rice, 60 lbs of white rice, 25 pounds of oatmeal (not the sugar coated flavor crap))

Here's the meal plan, please tell me if I need to drop/add/modify anything.

7:00 a.m. wake up
Meal 1-- 3/4 cup of oatmeal, 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites, multi-vitamn

10:30 a.m.
Meal 2-- 1 cup of brown rice, boiled chicken breast

1:30 p.m. pre workout
Meal 3-- Banana?

3:10 p.m. post workout
Meal 4-- White rice, chicken or tuna or ground beef (what ever meat is in the fridge) Whey protein shake

5:30 p.m.
Meal 5-- I guess some veggies and proteins should be thrown in here, suggestions?

8:30 p.m.
Meal 6-- Not sure, again, but it's bed time @ 9:00 p.m. and I do not have money for casein protein. Any suggestions?

9:00 p.m. Bed

I weigh 180 lbs, I'm 5 foot 10 inches, and just turned 19 a month ago.
As I said I know my way around a gym and have cycled through dozens of workouts in the past four years...
I just never dieted, this diet is for muscle size, in 6 mos I'll construct a cutting diet...
I need a diet that will give me the proteins and what not to pack on some muscle size.

-haveAvarice

IronJD
09-01-10, 12:40 am
Here's something you can try based on the info you have given...

Meal # 1- 7am (you can also do 6 whole eggs instead to up your cals)
6 egg whites, 1 cup oats, Multi-Vitamin

Meal # 2- 10:30am (I would try and get the chicken to a 6oz serving)
boiled chicken breast, 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup greens

Meal # 3- 1:30pm (I would get a meal in here and train at 2:30, adjust this if necessary)
1-2 cans tuna, 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup greens

Train - 2:30-3:30

Meal # 4- 3:30pm (I would hit 1-2 scoops of whey with 1 or 2 bananas immediately after)
1-2 scoops whey, 1-2 bananas

Meal # 5- (Here I would do what you have suggested for meal # 4)
Moderate to Large serving of protein available, 1 cup white rice

Meal # 6 (Try and get a hold of cottage cheese and become friends with it before bed)
1-2 cups of cottage cheese

I'm not sure if this will help you, and you may require even more cals..this was just merely a suggestion based on the info you provided, a key to muscle gain is the consisten supply of aminos every 2-3hrs..milk, cottage cheese, tuna, and eggs are affordable protein options that will help you pack on the mass..Best of luck to you

Jengyz
09-01-10, 6:13 am
You want muscle, then increase the amount of eggs.

haveAvarice
09-01-10, 10:23 am
IronDj
thank you for the revisions

2 questions however,

Could I replace the pre workout meal with an apple with some type of nut butter as opposed to the bananas, i was questioning using bananas since the glycimic index and sugar content is high, would an apple be any better?

Is there a way to prepare fat free cottage cheese without making it taste like shit? I mean I have read from another forum post a guy who blends ff cottage cheese with an egg white, some berries, cinnamon and natural peanut butter then frys it on a skillet like it's a pancake (how about that!) I'm considering doing this. I spent $4 bucks on a couple containers of fat free cottage today at the market.

Should I add some almonds to my diet, their expensive but I've heard only positives about them, if there's a cheaper alternative by all means throw it at me.

-haveAvarice

IronJD
09-01-10, 6:23 pm
Hey haveAvarice,

I think you are mixed up about the pre-work out and post-work out meals, but the reason why I suggested the bananas post-work out is because of their sugar content when a spike in insulin levels is not a bad thing..most any type of simple sugars at that time would work...the key to diet is experimentation just like your training...set a meal plan and stick to it for a while..see how your body reacts...keep tweaking it until you are satisfied with the results it is giving you..I experiment with different foods all the time..and to adress your cottage cheese question..i usually just eat it as is..or throw some black pepper on it..you can also blend it with some flavored whey and get it down fast...one more thing..you're in college which means you need to enjoy yourself..don't miss out on opportunites to go out with your friends here and there just because you have to adhere to your meal plan..this is a great time for you- IronJD

JamesRange62
09-01-10, 6:37 pm
Hey haveAvarice,

I think you are mixed up about the pre-work out and post-work out meals, but the reason why I suggested the bananas post-work out is because of their sugar content when a spike in insulin levels is not a bad thing..most any type of simple sugars at that time would work...the key to diet is experimentation just like your training...set a meal plan and stick to it for a while..see how your body reacts...keep tweaking it until you are satisfied with the results it is giving you..I experiment with different foods all the time..and to adress your cottage cheese question..i usually just eat it as is..or throw some black pepper on it..you can also blend it with some flavored whey and get it down fast...one more thing..you're in college which means you need to enjoy yourself..don't miss out on opportunites to go out with your friends here and there just because you have to adhere to your meal plan..this is a great time for you- IronJD

i wouldnt recommend a banana postworkout because its sugar is fructose, not glucose. Fructose mainly restores liver glycogen and glucose restores muscle glycogen. So you're looking for glucose postworkout. white rice post workout would be a better option compared to bananas.

IronJD
09-01-10, 6:59 pm
Ya you're right about the fructose..I just suggested that so he could bang it down right after and get his insulin elevated directly after the work out..then he would follow that up with a protein/white rice meal...there are many many different post work out alternatives..hell honey would work as well..for a long time I used good old fashioned grape juice when money was tight lol

JamesRange62
09-01-10, 10:46 pm
yeah there are endless drinks to spike insulin forpostworkout recovery. I am an Ex. Science major at ETSU and had to take a sports nutrition class from Doc Stone (former head physiologist at the Olympic Training Center in CO) and he even suggested adding whey protein to a Yoohoo!

IronJD
09-02-10, 12:43 am
Not to hijack...but what was his reasoning behind this whey protein/yoohoo protocol JamesRange62? It's interesting he suggested doing that...did the olympians follow this as well?

T. Kemble
09-02-10, 1:00 am
Not to hijack...but what was his reasoning behind this whey protein/yoohoo protocol JamesRange62? It's interesting he suggested doing that...did the olympians follow this as well?

Milk is anabolic in itself, add fast digesting proteins and different types of sugars and you are in business.

JamesRange62
09-04-10, 3:44 am

No he said if you were just on a budget it could be used and that it would taste pretty good with a chocolate protein powder. The olympians definitely had the top resources/nutritionists/guidance/discipline in their diets that most untrained (non-elite) athletes like us dont have the availabiltity to.

it was just a suggestion, not a 1st option recommendation.