PDA

View Full Version : Facebook is for narcissists

Beowulf
09-01-10, 10:48 am
Many believe bodybuilding is a sport of narcissists. So if you are a bodybuilder who has a facebook page, what does that say?

http://www.science20.com/news_releases/narcissists_can_be_identified_by_their_facebook_ac counts_psychologists

IronWilson
09-01-10, 11:28 am
According to writers of this article, everyone is narcissistic. Everyone is "self-promoting" in one way or another. If you are not, everyone calls you "self-loathing."

When looking at a bodybuilders Facebook, some just want to show the work they have put in to their body. Why should they not be proud of the progress they made? It is the same as an artist posting a painting on their Facebook. Should one not be proud of something they have created?

I am sure that the article may just be addressing the few people that take a picture of themselves in a mirror (always with a cell phone of course.), revealing their abs with a smug look on their face. They want to appear sexy. In that instance, I don't really know what to think. They just may be narcissistic. A great measure of the degree of narcissism is the captioning of the photos. You'll often see captions such as "I'm so jacked" "I'm Cockdiesel" or ""You know you want me."

Some people want compliments from their Facebook friends. Some people want to appear intimidating because of their physique. I think these two examples of people are just plain pathetic.

In conclusion, I guess whether or not posting "bodybuilding" type poses or shots on your Facebook is narcissistic is in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion, it all depends on the reason it is being done. If you just want to show your progress or show that you competed in a bodybuilding show, it is not narcissism. If you want to appear intimidating or hope to attract someone from your pictures, I find it narcissistic.

G Diesel
09-01-10, 11:34 am
It is fair to say that I'm narcissistic.

That said, I think Facebook is representative of human loneliness and our inherent need to find meaning in our lives and to connect with someone out there somewhere. There is a real sadness to Facebook if you look closely enough.

Peace, G

Beowulf
09-01-10, 11:38 am
It is fair to say that I'm narcissistic.

That said, I think Facebook is representative of human loneliness and our inherent need to find meaning in our lives and to connect with someone out there somewhere. There is a real sadness to Facebook if you look closely enough.

Peace, G

All of us have a narcissistic streak, that's for sure. Some are clinical.

We all want to believe that what we say, what we think, matters to the world. Quite frankly, it doesn't. If people have to go to Facebook to "connect" with others or to "find meaning", we, as a society, are in serious trouble. Virtual connections are replacing real, honest-to-goodness relationships.

Who grew up having to see photos or videos of your aunt and uncle's trip to the Grand Canyon when you were young? Who hated it? We've all become our aunts and uncles.

intoodeep25
09-01-10, 11:39 am
i freakin hate facebook with a passion. i do not have one, nor will i ever have one

Beowulf
09-01-10, 11:40 am
i freakin hate facebook with a passion. i do not have one, nor will i ever have one

Why do you hate it so much?

intoodeep25
09-01-10, 11:50 am
theres a couple reasons i suppose. i know my little sister has one. shes in 8th grade. seems like she is CONSTANTLY on it, updating things, looking through peoples pages, and whatever else goes on on there. to me its sad. there is so many other things she could be doing with her time. nobody cares that she "bought some cute boots" or "is watching tv!". to me its so mind numbing. and does there really need to be a site that you can find out everybodys personal information about there lives at the push of a button? is nothing sacred anymore? it seems like she is always talking to my parents about " oh man guess about so and so", and " i cant believe she did that, gasp!" blehhh. who freakin cares. i feel like its an extremely negative tool, and only brings about very few positives compared to the extreme amount of negatives. just dont care for it at all

U Mad Brah?
09-01-10, 11:52 am
at the end of the day brahs, it all depends on how u use fb/technology brahs... gots to be narcisstic to a certain point in order to succeed my good brahs... just gotta keep in touch with reality h hav a healthy perspective of connecting with others my highfallutintootinselflovinbrahonies... dont be overly obsessed braholics

Beowulf
09-01-10, 11:53 am
theres a couple reasons i suppose. i know my little sister has one. shes in 8th grade. seems like she is CONSTANTLY on it, updating things, looking through peoples pages, and whatever else goes on on there. to me its sad. there is so many other things she could be doing with her time. nobody cares that she "bought some cute boots" or "is watching tv!". to me its so mind numbing. and does there really need to be a site that you can find out everybodys personal information about there lives at the push of a button? is nothing sacred anymore? it seems like she is always talking to my parents about " oh man guess about so and so", and " i cant believe she did that, gasp!" blehhh. who freakin cares. i feel like its an extremely negative tool, and only brings about very few positives compared to the extreme amount of negatives. just dont care for it at all

In other words, it pulls you away from real life so that you can sit in front of your computer to enter your virtual life, one that is devoid of face to face conversations.

Beowulf
09-01-10, 11:55 am
at the end of the day brahs, it all depends on how u use fb/technology brahs... gots to be narcisstic to a certain point in order to succeed my good brahs... just gotta keep in touch with reality h hav a healthy perspective of connecting with others my highfallutintootinselflovinbrahonies... dont be overly obsessed braholics

I think to be successful, you need to have confidence and a belief in yourself and a willingness to get your hands dirty and do hard work. As for narcissism, I'm not sure where selfishness, conceit and vanity fit into the picture?

intoodeep25
09-01-10, 11:59 am
In other words, it pulls you away from real life so that you can sit in front of your computer to enter your virtual life, one that is devoid of face to face conversations.

yes. i guess im just not one to care about other's lives that i have no business knowing about. worrying/knowing about some of that stuff tends to get you in more trouble than you bargain for

U Mad Brah?
09-01-10, 12:08 pm
I think to be successful, you need to have confidence and a belief in yourself and a willingness to get your hands dirty and do hard work. As for narcissism, I'm not sure where selfishness, conceit and vanity fit into the picture?

bbers need a little -maybe a lot at times brahs- narcissism beobrahonie to succeed... vanity ftw brahs... think about it brahs... quite a selfish, timeconsuming selfinvolved sport brahs... heck brahs... think about wat u do on a daily basis brahs... a decent amount of wat we do cold be considered selfish good brahonies... think about my good brahs... not always bad to be narcisstic if u get teh result u want brahs... just gotta balance it brahonies...

intoodeep25
09-01-10, 12:11 pm
some dont do this for narcistic purposes. some do it just to stay sane

U Mad Brah?
09-01-10, 12:20 pm
some dont do this for narcistic purposes. some do it just to stay sane

i hear u brah... but aint we all narcissitic to sum point... maybe moreso in sum than others... at heart i think humans hav a tendecy to be selfish n narcissitc brahs... maybe u brahs dont like teh term but it is what it is brahonies

intoodeep25
09-01-10, 12:26 pm
i hear u brah... but aint we all narcissitic to sum point... maybe moreso in sum than others... at heart i think humans hav a tendecy to be selfish n narcissitc brahs... maybe u brahs dont like teh term but it is what it is brahonies

i agree with you man. everyone has a bit of it in them. i think a heavy dose of humility tends to keep it at bay though. it does peak its ugly head out from time to time, however.

Universal Rep
09-01-10, 12:27 pm
I am not a fan of facebook either. I guess I just don't get it. I ain't looking to find and hook up with my old high school sweetheart... What am I missing?

FewL4no1
09-01-10, 12:28 pm
It doesn't really matter, does it?

All of this intolerance on this topic is rather amusing, considering who it is coming from (see the P.S.). People do what they want to do. A lot of people I know that don't workout stereotype bodybuilders and powerlifters as narcissistic, egomaniacal tools. This isn't true, of course, but it doesn't stop the stereotype from being spread around.

In life, to each their own. If you don't like it, then don't use it. No one has a gun to your head.

P.S. Is posting your "training log" with your big lifting numbers, perfect diet, and stellar body dimensions inherently narcissistic as well?

intoodeep25
09-01-10, 12:36 pm

All of this intolerance on this topic is rather amusing, considering who it is coming from (see the P.S.). People do what they want to do. A lot of people I know that don't workout stereotype bodybuilders and powerlifters as narcissistic, egomaniacal tools. This isn't true, of course, but it doesn't stop the stereotype from being spread around.

In life, to each their own. If you don't like it, then don't use it. No one has a gun to your head.

P.S. Is posting your "training log" with your big lifting numbers, perfect diet, and stellar body dimensions inherently narcissistic as well?

bro we're just having a general conversation about the topic. no ones looking to get into a heated argument here. sharing thoughts and view points is ok, is it not?

Beowulf
09-01-10, 12:39 pm

Intolerance? Lol.

We're just having a conversation and stating opinions and justifying our opinions. I call it a friendly debate.

But since you raise the point, what is this "stereotype" you are referring to? Are you talking about Facebook users or bodybuilders?

Aggression
09-01-10, 12:41 pm
Facebook, twitter, myspace, and even texting will cause the eventual downfall of our society. Online gaming can also be included in this genre. They all encourage conversation outside the 'real world', in a sense. No one just goes outside for a walk anymore. Kids don't play Spudd or kickball, they play Call Of Duty and Madden online for hours. How many times do people post something up, whether a comment on a photo or just a thought, that they would never say face-to-face, in real life? I've seen legit arguments over someone's facebook status. Don't get upset over someone butting into your business when you plaster your every move on FB/Twitter. I can't remember the last time my cell phone actually rang. It always beeping with new texts, bbms, etc. Sure, I contribute, we all do. I'm not saying I'm innocent. I like Facebook for the ability to keep in touch with my college friends whom I don't see quite often, as they're scattered across the Garden State.

I wish we can go back to a more simple time. A time where if you called your friend's house and didn't get an answer, you were shit out of luck. A time where Facebook status' didn't exist. Where people didn't know who you started dating/broke up with before you even knew the deal. Fuck it. I'm deleting Facebook now.

/rant.

Beowulf
09-01-10, 12:45 pm
Facebook, twitter, myspace, and even texting will cause the eventual downfall of our society. Online gaming can also be included in this genre. They all encourage conversation outside the 'real world', in a sense. No one just goes outside for a walk anymore. Kids don't play Spudd or kickball, they play Call Of Duty and Madden online for hours. How many times do people post something up, whether a comment on a photo or just a thought, that they would never say face-to-face, in real life? I've seen legit arguments over someone's facebook status. Don't get upset over someone butting into your business when you plaster your every move on FB/Twitter. I can't remember the last time my cell phone actually rang. It always beeping with new texts, bbms, etc. Sure, I contribute, we all do. I'm not saying I'm innocent. I like Facebook for the ability to keep in touch with my college friends whom I don't see quite often, as they're scattered across the Garden State.

I wish we can go back to a more simple. A time where if you called your friend's house and didn't get an answer, you were shit out of luck. A time where Facebook status' didn't exist. Where people didn't know who you started dating/broke up with before you even knew the deal. Fuck it. I'm deleting Facebook now.

/rant.

Downfall? That's a bit hyperbolic, Aggression. But I agree with your basic premise. To me, it's not the technology that is creating the problem, but rather, our use (or misuse) of it. Growing up as a kid, I was outdoors every single day playing stickball or riding my bike with my friends. I wasn't texting anyone or playing video games (though I had a sweet system, lol). The sun would go down and my mom would call us in. Then, we'd sneak back outside just a little longer. We used to play this game where, when it got dark and the streetlights came on, we'd take a tennis ball, stand under the light and try to hit it. Anyone remember that? Have we lost those experiences? I can vividly remember those times, my friends, those memories. If I spent two hours on the computer last week sending emails or whatever, can I remember that? No way.

rev8ball
09-01-10, 12:49 pm
I am not a fan of facebook either. I guess I just don't get it. I ain't looking to find and hook up with my old high school sweetheart... What am I missing?

Not much. I understand people who like to use social networks to network themselves and their businesses, but the rest, it's just not for me.

I'm too busy with my life in the "now," and I'm not concerned with living in the past, or dealing with people who would rather live in a virtual world than enjoy what's really out there. I guess it's just my Red-type personality.

Memories are good, but they are just that - memories - and should not interfere with moving forward...

BamBam
09-01-10, 12:53 pm

God Bless you... I dont have a FB and won't do so. I had one, and it was the most pointles thing I've evr done with my time

G Diesel
09-01-10, 12:54 pm

Yes it is definitely narcissistic in many cases and much nut powdering goes on in relation to stats (whether they be real or imaginary).

As people we all are our own "brand". How you portray and represent that brand to the outside world is entirely up to the individual. I'm not going to call any of it good or bad, but what I will say is that much of it is born out the need to fill a void in our lives.

Peace, G

Aggression
09-01-10, 12:57 pm
Aggression is no longer on Facebook.

U Mad Brah?
09-01-10, 12:57 pm
maybe our overuse of teh internets/email my good brahs... leaves a brah emotionally disconnected from our good brahs around us... human brahs need to have personl interaction to develop there emotional n social intellegnce brahonies... cant get much of tat from teh internets my sociallynemotionallydisillusionedbrahonies

Beowulf
09-01-10, 12:58 pm

This is the first step, lol.

Beowulf
09-01-10, 12:59 pm
maybe our overuse of teh internets/email my good brahs... leaves a brah emotionally disconnected from our good brahs around us... human brahs need to have personl interaction to develop there emotional n social intellegnce brahonies... cant get much of tat from teh internets my sociallynemotionallydisillusionedbrahonies

You want to know what's scary? I've seen boyfriends/girlfriends, husbands/wives sitting next to each other or in the same room, texting each other.

U Mad Brah?
09-01-10, 12:59 pm
Yes it is definitely narcissistic in many cases and much nut powdering goes on in relation to stats (whether they be real or imaginary).

As people we all are our own "brand". How you portray and represent that brand to the outside world is entirely up to the individual. I'm not going to call any of it good or bad, but what I will say is that much of it is born out the need to fill a void in our lives.

Peace, G

what kind of brah doesnt luv a good nut powdering evry now and then G brah

U Mad Brah?
09-01-10, 1:00 pm
You want to know what's scary? I've seen boyfriends/girlfriends, husbands/wives sitting next to each other or in the same room, texting each other.

i hear ya beobrah... sum crazy stuff tehre my good brahonie

Aggression
09-01-10, 1:00 pm

This is the first step, lol.

Don't worry. I'm not gonna do what everyone THINKS I'm gonna do and freak out, man. All I wanna know is ..... WHO'S COMING WITH ME? WHO'S COMING WITH ME, MAN?

Beowulf
09-01-10, 1:01 pm
Don't worry. I'm not gonna do what everyone THINKS I'm gonna do and freak out, man. All I wanna know is ..... WHO'S COMING WITH ME? WHO'S COMING WITH ME, MAN?

I am. Lead, brother.

B. Rowe
09-01-10, 1:01 pm
FB is great to keep in contact with people that are outside your normal social circle. I dont live near my home town so its good to stay in contact with people I grew up with and in college you meet so many different people and you all split off on your separate ways so its good to keep in touch with them. There are people out there that use it just to try to meet new people (romantically) but thats not my style nor do i like when someone comes on to me through FB. As far as relationships go, FB IS A RELATIONSHIP KILLLLLER. Because some asshole is always going to write some bullshit thing on your partners wall or what not and it just elicits jealousy which may typically not be in the relationship.

Mr. Dead
09-01-10, 1:02 pm
Moderation, I believe is a key to this... Yes, I have a facebook... No, I'm not on it, everyday... It was fun for awhile, but then you get people from work getting in your face, because you didn't "friend" them, or join their mafia or send them a farmville gift... To which I reply... "Uhm... I see you every day, practically... I can just walk over and talk to you... If... I wanted to... And, I spend enough time around you as it is..." This usally pisses them off, but oh well... I've been able to get in touch with old friends from both school and the Army, and some I've even inspired to change their lives around... I got in touch with a local pro bodybuilder that is going to let me train with him, this fall... I've been able to talk to several people that I normally never would have had the chance to talk to, and gotten valuable tips and information... And, as far as the pics and the workout numbers... We do the same on this very FORVM... Our posts in here aren't much different from texting or blogging... Just my 2 cents... And, I'm out of this thread...

BamBam
09-01-10, 1:03 pm
Is posting your log being narcissistic, or being proud of your hardwork? I would rather post my training log and be proud of my hard work rather than 1000 pictures of my car I washed once w/ my shirt off flexing with m hat backwards in some t-pain oakleys to impress people on FB, or pics of some drunk morons at a party acting like slobs or whatever. Oh well, just my 2 cents.

I'll take being a person who likes to interact face to face rather than page to page. I believe the episode of South Park put the whole FB thing in perspective the best..

"Hey, do you want to be my friend on FB..?
"Yeah sure.."
"Ok sweet.. but you gotta stop by my farm and leave a comment"
"Ok.."

The whole episode put it in view. And if bodybuilding is for narcissists, then someone call the Governor of California and let him know.

Beowulf
09-01-10, 1:03 pm
FB is great to keep in contact with people that are outside your normal social circle. I dont live near my home town so its good to stay in contact with people I grew up with and in college you meet so many different people and you all split off on your separate ways so its good to keep in touch with them. There are people out there that use it just to try to meet new people (romantically) but thats not my style nor do i like when someone comes on to me through FB. As far as relationships go, FB IS A RELATIONSHIP KILLLLLER. Because some asshole is always going to write some bullshit thing on your partners wall or what not and it just elicits jealousy which may typically not be in the relationship.

Facebook and jealousy? There's a study on that.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/Facebook+shown+increase+jealousy+relationships/1877827/story.html

Big C
09-01-10, 1:04 pm

DUDE! Say it ain't so...u srs?

BamBam
09-01-10, 1:05 pm

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/Facebook+shown+increase+jealousy+relationships/1877827/story.html

Do people really have nothing better to do with their time?

BamBam
09-01-10, 1:05 pm

Jerry McGuire... good work. I jumped ship with you bro.

Beowulf
09-01-10, 1:07 pm
Do people really have nothing better to do with their time?

They are researchers. This is what they get paid to do, their life's work. I don't think it's any better or worse than any other profession.

Aggression
09-01-10, 1:09 pm
I am. Lead, brother.

We're growing already, who else??

I'll take being a person who likes to interact face to face rather than page to page. I believe the episode of South Park put the whole FB thing in perspective the best..

"Hey, do you want to be my friend on FB..?
"Yeah sure.."
"Ok sweet.. but you gotta stop by my farm and leave a comment"
"Ok.."

Haha yeah I remember this episode. Well done.

I totally agree with that. I've seen it happen. "Who's that girl posting on your wall/Why did she comment on that pic of you??" Maannnnnn.

DUDE! Say it ain't so...u srs?

SRS as my training, my friend.

BamBam
09-01-10, 1:10 pm
They are researchers. This is what they get paid to do, their life's work. I don't think it's any better or worse than any other profession.

Not bashing a profession... just do that many people care about jealousy in other peoples relationship to sell papers? I mean yeah, if it goes on in your relationship then duh, it should be discussed... but who gives a shit if John Doe and Mary Jane are jeaous because of someones postings on a website? Their relationship is none of their business as mine is mybusiness and not theirs.

"DO YOU.."

BB-

Beowulf
09-01-10, 1:12 pm
Not bashing a profession... just do that many people care about jealousy in other peoples relationship to sell papers? I mean yeah, if it goes on in your relationship then duh, it should be discussed... but who gives a shit if John Doe and Mary Jane are jeaous because of someones postings on a website? Their relationship is none of their business as mine is mybusiness and not theirs.

"DO YOU.."

BB-

I don't think the researchers were concerned with actual people and their personal problems.

Universal Rep
09-01-10, 1:14 pm
Not much. I understand people who like to use social networks to network themselves and their businesses, but the rest, it's just not for me.

I'm too busy with my life in the "now," and I'm not concerned with living in the past, or dealing with people who would rather live in a virtual world than enjoy what's really out there. I guess it's just my Red-type personality.

Memories are good, but they are just that - memories - and should not interfere with moving forward...

Using it for business makes sense. It's a tool, plain and simple. But making it an extension of your personal life?

G Diesel
09-01-10, 1:14 pm

I see people with their whole families up there--kids and loved ones, their girl, their mom. Pictures of their house, status updates of where they are 24/7 (which tells when they aren't home). Shit. What ever happened to having a private life?

what kind of brah doesnt luv a good nut powdering evry now and then G brah

What's a little powdering between old friends?

Peace, G

Aggression
09-01-10, 1:15 pm
Shit. What ever happened to having a private life?

I'm afraid its long gone, my friend. Facebook and the like take the word 'stalking' to a whole new level. And its not a good thing.

BamBam
09-01-10, 1:16 pm
I don't think the researchers were concerned with actual people and their personal problems.

Could be... but nowadays... everyone is in everyone elses business so it seems..

shizz702
09-01-10, 1:20 pm

I wish we can go back to a more simple time. A time where if you called your friend's house and didn't get an answer, you were shit out of luck. A time where Facebook status' didn't exist. Where people didn't know who you started dating/broke up with before you even knew the deal. Fuck it. I'm deleting Facebook now.

/rant.

Well said.

Something that really boggles my mind is how kids don't even play anymore. When I was growing up we were playing football, basketball, street hockey, fuck it you name it, and we played it. Back then the obesity rates were seemingly lower too.

Nowadays kids are either on their computers or cell phones, engaging in little to no physical activity. Hell PE programs in schools are a joke, if they even have one considering the plethora of budget cuts.

There is good and bad with everything, and granted computers and technology have done a lot of good, but they have also done a lot of bad too. They are causing introversion, apathy, and minimizing genuine communication. I too receive more texts then calls, and even though I'm texting right back, deep down I know I would be better off dialing that persons number and actually speaking to them from time to time.

As far as narcissism goes, I will say this: it is better to be a narcissist then nihilist. It certainly is better to love yourself and your body than to hate it. I'd rather be building my body up with the iron then breaking it down drugs or drinking.

Aggression
09-01-10, 1:24 pm
Something that really boggles my mind is how kids don't even play anymore. When I was growing up we were playing football, basketball, street hockey, fuck it you name it, and we played it. Back then the obesity rates were seemingly lower too.

There is good and bad with everything, and granted computers and technology have done a lot of good, but they have also done a lot of bad too. They are causing introversion, apathy, and minimizing genuine communication.

As far as narcissism goes, I will say this: it is better to be a narcissist then nihilist. It certainly is better to love yourself and your body than to hate it. I'd rather be building my body up with the iron then breaking it down drugs or drinking.

All solid points that I agree with. I meant to state that in my post; technology has done us very well, but its also causing most of the younger generation to be 'numb' when it comes to real social interaction. Dating sights can be thrown into this too. You need to go on a dating sight to comfortably talk to girls? C'monnnn nowww.

BamBam
09-01-10, 1:25 pm
Hey, anyone who wants to know about Agent Orange... check the threads... new info released..

Seems to be a lot of chatter in here and I think we all care a little more about the FORVM than facebook

Universal Rep
09-01-10, 1:26 pm
You need to go on a dating sight to comfortably talk to girls? C'monnnn nowww.

I shy.

Universal Rep
09-01-10, 1:26 pm
Hey, anyone who wants to know about Agent Orange... check the threads... new info released..

Seems to be a lot of chatter in here and I think we all care a little more about the FORVM than facebook

Wait wut???

BamBam
09-01-10, 1:28 pm
Wait wut???

I am the official cat out of the bag guy.. aside from you of course.

PORTERHOUSE
09-01-10, 1:30 pm
The only thing I really like facebook for is for keeping in touch with old friends from middle school and such. If it wasn't for facebook, I would not know what happened to so many of my childhood friends/classmates, so I like it for that.

charlievanriper
09-01-10, 2:00 pm
The only thing I really like facebook for is for keeping in touch with old friends from middle school and such. If it wasn't for facebook, I would not know what happened to so many of my childhood friends/classmates, so I like it for that.

X2 and I have made good friends all over the world on FB.
ess I'm a Narc
if you use it with common sense its a great tool.
I have relatives that I actually get to talk to thru FB.
Its a Social Network like this one and valable in its way.
With anything thier are those that get addicted to stuff and abuse it, worry about yourself and not them!

I for one spend more of my time thier on FB as thiers more interreaction there. When I am onlinIIIIe I want to talk to people and learn about them and what they like, share what I know not just post a comment that gets looked at and never gets a response.

I guess I'm a narcissist then!!

PROUD TO BE A NARCISSIST, GO NARCISSIST'S,

NARCISSIST'S UNITE TO CONQUER THE WORLD ANDALL ITS JEALOUS STUPIDITY!!

Beowulf
09-01-10, 2:10 pm
I guess I'm a narcissist then!!

Not really. It depends on why you use Facebook and what you hope to gain from it.

N. Motta
09-01-10, 2:32 pm

Jerry McGuire??? Half Baked my man! Haha

Yea, researching the sociology involved with the use of facebook is just as noble and useful as finding a cure for cancer.

Aggression
09-01-10, 2:36 pm

Jerry McGuire??? Half Baked my man! Haha

Half Baked!

BamBam
09-01-10, 2:39 pm
Half Baked!

Oh come on.. I'm a Cruise fan, although a damn good movie..

IronWilson
09-01-10, 2:45 pm
As with anything, Facebook will be what you make of it. I don't know why everyone cares what everyone else is saying so much.

But it is really funny to see how all the pretty girls you went to high school with got fat....lol.

Thrawn
09-01-10, 2:50 pm
I couldnt care less what ppl think about me. That includes the regular man and scientist all alike. I do what i want, i live life my way. That may or may not include facebook.
Why should it matter what a scientist proves or finds wrong in his papers?
I live life my way.

Beowulf
09-01-10, 2:52 pm
I couldnt care less what ppl think about me. That includes the regular man and scientist all alike. I do what i want, i live life my way. That may or may not include facebook.
Why should it matter what a scientist proves or finds wrong in his papers?
I live life my way.

Ah, if we all really believed sentiments like these when we said them.

Aggression
09-01-10, 2:55 pm

truth

Thrawn
09-01-10, 2:57 pm

I do believe it and i live by it.
I do not like being doubted, but i cant say it any clearer then i already have. if you dont believe it, so be it.

Howitzer
09-01-10, 3:00 pm
Does it count as narcissism if under my bodybuilding album, all I post are pictures of my meals? Lol.

Big C
09-01-10, 3:05 pm
There are some very good points in this thread and I value everyone's opinion on this Facebook topic.

But when I honestly step back and think about it........I waste a lot more time on there than what I should. I remember earlier this decade when I was in school my first time round and these social networking sites didn't exist....the closest thing we had was Yahoo instant messanger or something. It was SO much better without all the social networking sites IMO...

I don't think (at least for me) anything bad has ever came from having a FB account - but nothing positive either. A lot of wasted time on my part...I may need to re-think some things. I mean when I post a status, I may care that I'm heading to the gym to kill some legs .....but does anyone else?

Aggression
09-01-10, 3:11 pm
I may need to re-think some things. I mean when I post a status, I may care that I'm heading to the gym to kill some legs .....but does anyone else?

Delete it. Its invigorating, lol

Universal Rep
09-01-10, 4:06 pm
Does it count as narcissism if under my bodybuilding album, all I post are pictures of my meals? Lol.

Do your meals look like you? If so, mebbe.

Aggression
09-01-10, 4:09 pm

You are what you eat, right?

Universal Rep
09-01-10, 4:14 pm
You are what you eat, right?

That's what they say. Speaking of narcissism, why is it that many dog owners look like their dogs (or vice versa)?

charlievanriper
09-01-10, 4:53 pm

lol

charlievanriper
09-01-10, 4:54 pm
Big C
I may need to re-think some things. I mean when I post a status, I may care that I'm heading to the gym to kill some legs .....but does anyone else?

I do, I am interested in all my friends and what they are up to, whats good and bad in thier lives.

naturalguy
09-01-10, 5:02 pm
That's what they say. Speaking of narcissism, why is it that many dog owners look like their dogs (or vice versa)?

What are you trying to say brah?

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/Dogs/5-1-10002.jpg

Universal Rep
09-01-10, 5:03 pm
What are you trying to say brah?

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/Dogs/5-1-10002.jpg

Game, set and match.

JUGGERNAUT
09-01-10, 5:05 pm
Anyone happen to notice the article is being promoted on all the social networking sites? May the real narcissists please stand up.

FewL4no1
09-01-10, 5:12 pm
Intolerance? Lol.

We're just having a conversation and stating opinions and justifying our opinions. I call it a friendly debate.

But since you raise the point, what is this "stereotype" you are referring to? Are you talking about Facebook users or bodybuilders?

The title of your thread is 'Facebook is for narcissists.' That statement is inherently stereotyping a group of people (facebook users) as being of one train of thought (narcissism). It would be similar to someone creating an account on the FORVM and postin a topic saying 'Bodybuilding/Powerlifting is for narcissists.' We on the FORVM would be very quick to point out how that statement is a stereotype.

I find myself wanting to get deeper into the language and semantics of the issue, but that wouldn't be constructive or helpful; it would just be me liking the sound of my own voice. I apologize for taking what you said to heart. My combative nature can sometimes get the best of me.

Personally, people's values system and what they choose to do with their time should not be under anyone else's scrutiny (exceptions being good friends, family, etc). If people want to spend hours on Facebook, then so be it. They could probably be doing what some would deem "more constructive" activities, but it takes all kinds.

B. Rowe
09-01-10, 10:26 pm
what are you trying to say brah?

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/dogs/5-1-10002.jpg

priceless!!!!

Howitzer
09-01-10, 10:39 pm

Big and lean? Sometimes I suppose! Hahaha, that was great dude.

adidas
09-01-10, 11:01 pm
The level of irony in here is overwhelming...LMAO

Beowulf
09-02-10, 12:21 pm
The level of irony in here is overwhelming...LMAO

And sarcasm too, lol.

Beowulf
09-02-10, 12:32 pm
The title of your thread is 'Facebook is for narcissists.' That statement is inherently stereotyping a group of people (facebook users) as being of one train of thought (narcissism). It would be similar to someone creating an account on the FORVM and postin a topic saying 'Bodybuilding/Powerlifting is for narcissists.' We on the FORVM would be very quick to point out how that statement is a stereotype.

I find myself wanting to get deeper into the language and semantics of the issue, but that wouldn't be constructive or helpful; it would just be me liking the sound of my own voice. I apologize for taking what you said to heart. My combative nature can sometimes get the best of me.

Personally, people's values system and what they choose to do with their time should not be under anyone else's scrutiny (exceptions being good friends, family, etc). If people want to spend hours on Facebook, then so be it. They could probably be doing what some would deem "more constructive" activities, but it takes all kinds.

The title of the thread references the article and the study.

If I started a thread called "Bodybuilders are narcissists", then I would expect people to argue for or against it, and we'd hopefully have a lively, reasonable and rational discussion.

I'm not judging anyone who is a Facebook fan. I don't think anyone here is. We're just talking about Facebook as a social phenomena and the implications of it as a practice. As a tool, it can be a valuable way to stay in touch. Abused, it can be problematic.

violator
09-02-10, 3:33 pm
a bit off topic, but interesting nonetheless.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B37wW9CGWyY&feature=related

BamBam
09-02-10, 3:36 pm
Someone needs to pucn Al Gore for inventing the interweb and we wouldn't even have to talk about this stuff..

BB-

Universal Rep
09-02-10, 4:08 pm
a bit off topic, but interesting nonetheless.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B37wW9CGWyY&feature=related

Facebook is for narcissistics who don't care about their own privacy???

Vinny G
09-02-10, 4:33 pm
Hi my name is VINNY, and i'm a NARCISSIST

Beowulf
09-02-10, 4:33 pm

I have heard of your brand of narcissism.

BamBam
09-02-10, 4:35 pm

Bwahaha... prob not the worst thing you have ever been called eh' Vin?

U Mad Brah?
09-02-10, 5:12 pm
remember good brahonies... for any narcissitic brahonie... tehres always a venue whether its facebook or somewere else my highfallutintootinselflovinbrahonies

Firedrake
09-02-10, 7:34 pm
I'm on facebook -- I posted all of my progress pics leading up to my show there, because there were family and friends who wanted to see them. I've found old friends from high school, discovered things about my cousins I never knew (good things!), and made a few new acquaintances. Am I a narcissist? Yeah, maybe.

I also reach out to help others. I also played team sports in high school, volunteer at various social service efforts and political campaigns, and try to serve the greater community. Why do I mention all that? Because people like to be recognized -there-, too. Does that make -them- narcissists? Every social service club has an award banquet each year, in which peoples' efforts are recognized. Psychologically, humans have a psycho -social NEED to be recognized and approved of, by their peers and others. It's a normal part of being a social animal.

As bodybuilders, we like to have our efforts recognized -- we like to show off what we've done. That's part of the game. Facebook is just a larger forum.

Like anything else, it is what you make of it. I think the rest of this discussion has been so much jaw jacking and chest beating.

G. -- You're right -- modern kids spend too damn much time on the computer or video games. That's not the whole reason for the epidemic of youth obesity, but it's a chunk of it. However, it falls to the PARENTS to teach them otherwise, and those parents are also glued to the sofa.

How to fix that, I don't know.

TigerAce01
09-02-10, 8:29 pm
I was a military kid, so I moved every few years. Facebook has allowed me to find the old friends from when I was just a little kid. Facebook has also allowed me to stay in touch with the friends I have since moving around after high school and college. If it wasn't for social networking sites like Facebook, most of the connections I made would most likely be lost. It's great to be able to go on a road trip and have couches to crash on, and even better when you find a long lost friend on a search page.

-Ace

U Mad Brah?
09-02-10, 9:14 pm
every brah luvs a good powderin evry now and then brahs... keeps a brahonie sane... heck even teh forvm is filled wit it my good brahs

BamBam
09-02-10, 9:23 pm
every brah luvs a good powderin evry now and then brahs... keeps a brahonie sane... heck even teh forvm is filled wit it my good brahs

I am a big fan of powder... keeps me from chaffing. LOLz

Straight2ThaBank
09-03-10, 3:01 am
Everyone is a narcissist in some way. We all strive for perfection and happiness with all aspects of our lives. I believe the focus should be more on the process then on the judgement of the way one ultimately looks.

adidas
09-03-10, 8:54 am
As bodybuilders, we like to have our efforts recognized -- we like to show off what we've done. That's part of the game. Facebook is just a larger forum.

Did you JUST equate Facebook to a...wait for it...a forum?

*snickers*

Blondie Weapon X
09-03-10, 9:24 am
Nope not me!!!
I do love my Facebook!!! Yep you can call me whatever you wish, but the truth is I love having connections at my finger tips!!!
Yes I have made lots of friends and have connected again with old friends.
Here's an example of why I stay connected:
Brian: Crap my driveshaft went out on my truck!!!
Me: Really, hold on I may be able to help.

Me: Hey Andy can you help me out on a driveshaft?
Andy: Sure can, check with Diana P. She works for a salvage yard. You get one and I'll put it on for Brian.
Me: Thanks Andy!

Me: Hi Diana, do you have a driveshaft for a Dodge truck?
Diana: Sure do! You can pick it up today. You can use my discount too!!
Me: Wow!! Thanks Diana!!

Taadaa!! Problem solved is 5 mins!!

See this is just one of the many things I use Fb for!!!

Sprint
09-03-10, 9:47 am
Here comes my tuppence...(plus several more tuppences)

I use Facebook, I post pics of myself on my Facebook. Pics of me hitting poses, pics of me pumped after a workout and so on.

Reason being is Im a self employed PT & if I wanted I could spend some hard-earned, well-stretched money on putting an advert in the local paper (read mostly by retired folk who don't care to try and bust their sleeves with their guns) or I can stick pics up on my facebook page. Said pic is commented on by a few friends, which then pops up on THEIR friends' news feeds. Now, Im not saying Im the biggest, but I have a decent physique. A lot of mutual friends are about the same age. A mid-20s chap is more likely to want a decent physique for the beach than a retired guy reading the local paper. So...by posting pics of myself (therefore advertising myself, which is actually advertising my business, my only source of income) Im reaching my target market and doing it for precisely zero cost to myself.

I also find facebook useful for keeping in touch with people from school who I hardly see these days due to our respective work/family commitments, and former work colleagues. My best friend & old training buddy works nights, so ringing each other up isn't really a viable option because our body clocks are totally out of synch & we avoid texts at times due to the same reason. Messaging on facebook doesn't wake the other up & we keep in touch that way along with other methods to arrange getting together for a session at my old gym.

Also, on a personal note, I used facebook to get in touch with my ex (well, she got in touch with me) because we lost contact as you do, but I wanted her to see how I was getting on because she always accused me of not being ambitious & I wanted to be able to show her "Look, you said I wasn't ambitious, now Im the Managing Director of my own business" (Yep, I still love her 2 years after we broke up, & she's the missing piece of the jigsaw puzzle of my life).

Having said that, and explaining my reasons for having facebook, I agree with what has been posted already about it taking over people's lives.
Status updates such as "Going shopping" and such, what's the point? Who cares?
My friend is completely obsessed with the whole thing, and updates his status usually every hour or so at most. What he's watching on TV, what he's having for dinner, he's a postman & we get updates as he does his rounds.

Whilst Im having myself a slight bash at facebook, I'll let you all know what really boils my piss about it...people who put "So fucking pissed off" as their status, then the usual replies of "Why, what's up?" and the answer is "Doesn't matter, don't want to talk about it"

YOU FUCKING WHAT? IF YOU DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT, DON'T TELL THE FUCKING WORLD.
Shit, when I have things I don't wish to talk about, know what I do? I don't talk about them.

That kind of thing comes down to attention seeking, plain and simple. But that leads me to my next point...
Humans need social interaction, at some level. We need to know we're cared about, it's natural rather than being an ego-boosting thing. As much as it winds me up, people telling everybody they don't want to talk about something is just them basically screaming "TELL ME YOU CARE!"

It becomes damaging when it replaces actual real-life relations. My cousin spent years not talking to anybody in the real world. He just used to be in chat rooms, talking to girls (or who he thought were girls) because he has social issues. It became such an issue that he would keep an empty 2 litre bottle in his room so he didn't have to leave his computer to go for a piss. He'd send his little brother out to bring him food & drinks. Didn't work, just borrowed money from his mother until he'd ran up several thousand pounds' worth of debt to her. He even sold his car because he was that broke, but didn't want to get a job because he'd have to leave the house. He figured the money from the car would be better than money from a job & 8 hours a day away from his virtual life.

The best one was he "met" somebody who apparently was a member of the Mormon/Morman (don't know which is right) religion. He became convinced she was his girlfriend (she was in America, he's in the UK)...HE BECAME A MORMON to please her. He was going to the Mormon's church every sunday. Arranged to fly to America to see her, brought plane tickets, then at the last minute she announced she was going away that weekend he was due to visit. He didn't get a refund as it would mean leaving the house an extra time.

In addition to this, another time he became a devout born-again Christian & would sit in his room online with gospel music playing on repeat.

It's at times like these where virtual worlds become damaging. Use them wisely (i.e. in moderation) and they can be very beneficial. From a business or social point of view. Using them to get back in touch with old friends who otherwise would be lost, and meeting up in real life, then meeting each others' friends, thus increasing your own social circles.

There you go, cases for and against facebook & the like.

As mentioned in another post, it is slightly ironic than a debate like this has sprung up online. However, for the most part this Forvm is much more supportive & helpful than most chatrooms etc. We're here to learn from each other, and support each other. Not tell people when we're going to the shops or say we're pissed off but don't want to say anything else about it.
The closest we get to that kind of thing is sharing with each other why our training is in a slump because somebody here may have the answer, & as a result, the remedy. Sometimes we share what we had for dinner, but again because eating healthy can be boring. Eating effectively can be difficult. As soon as somebody comes up with a healthy way to make the bland taste exciting, we're all ears.

For those reasons this Forvm can't really be compared to various other chatrooms or indeed facebook.

Sorry for the essay, I do go on a bit at times.

jeff00z28
09-03-10, 6:29 pm
I just have a fb account for the lulz. Didn't know anyone cared

andrewT
09-04-10, 10:21 am
Facebook, twitter, myspace, and even texting will cause the eventual downfall of our society. Online gaming can also be included in this genre. They all encourage conversation outside the 'real world', in a sense. No one just goes outside for a walk anymore. Kids don't play Spudd or kickball, they play Call Of Duty and Madden online for hours. How many times do people post something up, whether a comment on a photo or just a thought, that they would never say face-to-face, in real life? I've seen legit arguments over someone's facebook status. Don't get upset over someone butting into your business when you plaster your every move on FB/Twitter.

/rant.

This is why I don't have facebook and can't stand this texting/blackberry/touch screen nation. Where would people be without their constant 100% electronic social stimulation these days?

Simplicity is key!!

the guys at work are always talking about using it to pick up chicks. I would rather do it the same way my dad had to do it, in person-succeed or fail.

just me.

DEADn
09-05-10, 5:10 pm
Fortunately or unfortunately facebook has its place in the world. Some people use it to tell their life story for attention. Narcissim. Others use it to keep up with their own circle of friends. I have had one since Feb and I have mine for 2 reason. To keep up with family who are out of state. Also stay in touch with some friends and even classmates in college after our class is over so that maybe we can get together again.

What I hate is when I see people post their feelings, the kind the seemingly come from a teenager type personality as well as the stupid games, which I ban on my 'wall'. I like to keep conversations humorous to serious and stay away from stupid.

I also put some news links on my FB as well as links I hear from radio shows that I want to keep in touch with. With this I can use FB to learn about what is going on in society. I don't have a blackberry or any other high tech phone. I just have a simple trac fone.

Universal Rep
09-07-10, 2:35 pm
What about those instances where employees badmouth their employers on facebook? Crazy.

BamBam
09-07-10, 2:54 pm
What about those instances where employees badmouth their employers on facebook? Crazy.

Yeah... thats dumb as hell... badmouthing in anyone over a computer screen is not only dumb, but it is cowardly IMHO. Say it man to man or whatever.. Oh well..

Sprint
09-08-10, 8:06 am
My mate's into that farmville shit. He was telling me how he was going to "harvest his crops" that night, and proceeded to tell me the yield on various different veggies.
After a few minutes he twigged that me saying "that's a good return for such a small amount" & various other encouraging words were purely a complete piss-take.

Bless him, he was getting really excited over it until the penny dropped...

Now he harvests in secret & doesn't share his latest "yields of crops" with me.

PORTERHOUSE
09-08-10, 4:06 pm
Is it possible to have facebook and be a narcissist? yes.

Is it possible to not have facebook and be a narcissist? yes.

Does not having facebook because you think everyone that has it is stupid (or any other negative adjective of your choice) suggestive of narcissism? probably.

The unfortunate truth of the matter is that modern psychology will tell us that we are all narcissists. Like any other other personality trait, narcissism is graded on a scale, not diagnosed as a disease.

This means that (this should have been pretty obvious anyways) narcissists can either have facebook or not. If this study (I didnt bother reading it) attempted to correlate a higher level of narcissism with people who have facebook pages, I give my sincere congrats, as that is an enormous task which I would never want to undertake because of the level of obscurity involved in diagnosing narcissism.

Either way, just because you have facebook doesn't mean you are a narcissist, and just because you are a narcissist doesn't mean you have facebook. So who honestly cares?

Now quit flexing in the mirror and go lift. You narcissist.