PDA

View Full Version : BB Shrugs question

ER1585
09-01-10, 8:57 pm
Is it ok to bent Your elbows a little bit While doing BB shrugs, I seem to be doing it from a video that my friend took. Hopefully i get the video online tonight to see What im doing Wrong .

Machine
09-01-10, 9:58 pm
Is it ok to bent Your elbows a little bit While doing BB shrugs, I seem to be doing it from a video that my friend took. Hopefully i get the video online tonight to see What im doing Wrong .

Keeping your elbows bent when performing shrugs can be dangerous in that you expose the biceps tendon to too much strain at the insertion point.

I bent my arms while doing a Farmers Walk and tore my biceps tendon at the bend in the arm...the good news was that particular injury didnt require surgery...the bad news is my biceps, while never pretty, is now shaped like a half eaten pare.

Details...details...

MACHINE

msktyshha
09-02-10, 12:24 am
if I bend my elbows a little I consider it cheating and stop the set right there.

D-Kev
09-02-10, 1:02 am
Even if it means lower the weight a bit -->Form over Ego...Thats' my mantra at least.

Peace

T. Kemble
09-02-10, 1:05 am
When you are shrugging think of your arms as 'hooks' that are supporting the weight as your traps and upper back are pulling. The shrug is not an arm movement whatsoever. Squeeze the piss out of the bar with whatever grip you decide (close, alternating, snatch grip, hook grip) and if you gotta use straps then use them when you can no longer grip the bar, but always pull with the traps and keep the arms out of it!!!

ER1585
09-02-10, 1:54 am
Thanks everyone for all the Help But im still trying to get the Video online so you guys can see exactly what im talking about.

Redbeard
09-03-10, 11:59 am
I think I know what you're talking about. I catch myself doing it sometimes too. I think it happens when I start to get tired and I'm not feeling like the shrug itself is getting the full ROM and so subconsciously the arms start to pull as well. Placing my grip a little further in (not much) seems to help

snowboardray
09-03-10, 2:17 pm
Is it ok to bent Your elbows a little bit While doing BB shrugs

No

Sprint
09-03-10, 5:33 pm
Yeah sounds to me like you're trying to squeeze a bit higher. Same when people are doing pull ups and end up bringing their knees up in front of them to try and get a bit higher.

As mentioned by Machine though, can result in injury.

Really, you should be shrugging loads more than you can curl,so your biceps shouldn't be able to do much & if you're asking them to, it's only a matter of time before something goes tits up.