PDA

View Full Version : The Box Jump

Big Bay
09-02-10, 11:26 pm
Hey bros,

I have always been one of those guys that has had a run for my money when it came to training legs. Always busting my ass to often to see little result in growth. Anyways, I know Im not the only tall lanky one in here that has a hard time building well rounded legs. So anyways, I switched up my routine a few months ago and have seen significant difference then I have in the past. So for the arm and leg people, give this a try; do Box Jumps twice a week on a non leg day, 20 reps for 3 sets. For your cardio, do sprints, or hill sprints. Nothing will pump blood into your legs like sprinting up a hill. Also, I made sure to incorporate lunges into every leg workout.

I incorporated deadlifts into back day. Every other week was a heavy DEAD/Hamstring day and the alternate week was a heavy SQUAT/quad day.

I did this for two months, amped up the calorie intake, and am seeing good results. In closing, I just want to emphasize some disciplines in our sport that are being lost more and more it seems. And those are things like the box jump, hill sprints, and lunges.

mcbeast
09-02-10, 11:28 pm
Good stuff bro. I recently became addicted to box jumps. I always get looks, like they never seen na 230 pound guy jump a 40" box before. Ha!

BamBam
09-03-10, 10:59 am
Good stuff bro. I recently became addicted to box jumps. I always get looks, like they never seen na 230 pound guy jump a 40" box before. Ha!

Gotta love the 40" plus boxes. Good work bro (OP) with your continual adaptation and training evolution. Any help i can be let me know. Hit it hard.

Redbeard
09-03-10, 11:32 am
Box jumps scare the shit out of me. I'm clumsy.

BamBam
09-03-10, 11:37 am
Box jumps scare the shit out of me. I'm clumsy.

Start low.. explode up from there. Trust me.. if u r unsure about the jump, and then try.. more often than not u will miss it even though u r probably capable of hitting it.

Give them a shot and try em out and see how much your explosive capabilities grow

Big Bay
09-03-10, 5:23 pm
Start low.. explode up from there. Trust me.. if u r unsure about the jump, and then try.. more often than not u will miss it even though u r probably capable of hitting it.

Give them a shot and try em out and see how much your explosive capabilities grow

Very true. And once you get 'comfortable' with jumping forward mix it up. For example, I recently started doing one legged box jumps. Also, try jumping from the sides, and backwards onto the box. If your going to do this though, I think its better to have someone there to spot you if you fall. Food for thought.

AntoineV
09-03-10, 11:03 pm
I used to do that to improve my vert back when I did alot of tricking (artistic martial arts)

The Misfit
09-04-10, 1:51 am
I used to do that to improve my vert back when I did alot of tricking (artistic martial arts)

I've seen your "tricking" vid. That stuff is sick.

T. Kemble
09-04-10, 1:14 pm
The way you are training your jumps may be limiting your athleticism. Try changing the rep schemes and going for 3 reps and 10 sets working up to a high box. Each week change your method of jumping wither seated box jumps, weighted jumps, depth jumps, jumping onto foam, many methods are out there. I was 218 when I hit my 56" box, explosive power is a mighty tool in the strength world.
If you have any ?'S hit me up!

Big Bay
09-04-10, 3:18 pm
The way you are training your jumps may be limiting your athleticism. Try changing the rep schemes and going for 3 reps and 10 sets working up to a high box. Each week change your method of jumping wither seated box jumps, weighted jumps, depth jumps, jumping onto foam, many methods are out there. I was 218 when I hit my 56" box, explosive power is a mighty tool in the strength world.
If you have any ?'S hit me up!

Thank man. I'll take all of that into consideration and apply some new techniques like you suggested. If I have questions, i'll let you know.