PDA

View Full Version : Fruits and cardio

MRmichael.hooker
09-04-10, 11:12 am
Is it good or bad to take in fruit post cardio? A buddy of mine asked me because he does cardio on seperate days and I didn't know the answer so thats why im askin the brothers in here. His plan was cardio, then whey & apple. He only takes multi & whey, not enough $ for bcaas. Thanks bros

Howitzer
09-04-10, 12:18 pm
When I eat fruit with cardio in mind, it's always before. You get some fructose and some complex carbs for energy. So yeah, an apple with a preworkout meal is a good call in my book. Don't know about afterwards.

Fearless Rabbit
09-04-10, 12:55 pm
If he wants to lose weight (drop bf), then cardio on empty stomach, and fruit afterwards. Sugars in fruit would restore depleted glycogen after the session, and prevent muscle breakdown.

JamesRange62
09-04-10, 3:18 pm
fructose restores mainly liver glycogen, not muscle glycogen. you want glucose to better restore muscle glycogen.

Mauricio
09-04-10, 3:39 pm
at what time of the day is he doing cardio? for how long? if it's during the day his glycogen storages should be sufficient for a balanced cardio session, so eating fruits before it wouldn't really help him with endurance.

MRmichael.hooker
09-04-10, 4:43 pm
at what time of the day is he doing cardio? for how long? if it's during the day his glycogen storages should be sufficient for a balanced cardio session, so eating fruits before it wouldn't really help him with endurance.

not before, post cardio

Mauricio
09-04-10, 8:18 pm
post cardio shouldn't matter, you're replenishing your body with needed carbs.

Straight2ThaBank
09-07-10, 7:34 pm
I intake fruit pre and post since the cardio session is pretty brutal. HIIT really kills.

C.Coronato
09-08-10, 9:21 am
If hes not cutting for a show, then there is nothing wrong with Fruit. Its an important part of every day food.

Littlefry
09-08-10, 12:14 pm
Yea, depending on his goals it can vary. Right now Im bulking and Ill hammer back a bananna with 3tbs peanut butter directly after my workout. Approximately 30mins after that its a whole meal or a shake+oats for me.

Tony
09-08-10, 2:14 pm
If hes not cutting for a show, then there is nothing wrong with Fruit. Its an important part of every day food.

I agree. It's when you're six weeks out and a little behind when you might reconsider the fructose.

C.Coronato
09-08-10, 2:24 pm
I agree. It's when you're six weeks out and a little behind when you might reconsider the fructose.

Agreed for sure.

Howitzer
09-08-10, 7:51 pm
I believe fruit falls in under the "whole foods" category. You should definitely have them somewhere in your diet. They aren't healthy or unhealthy because of their specific macros content. They're healthy because they ARE fruits. The sum in this instance is far greater than the whole.

NJC_Manhattan
09-08-10, 9:50 pm
I've always done fruit post workout as my carbs with my protein shake. Grapes, blueberries, or a banana are personal favorites.

Kuclo
09-08-10, 10:39 pm

BINGO!!!
Couldnt have said it better... i eat fruit year round. Its natural and been around forever!

Fearless Rabbit
09-10-10, 8:05 am
I personally think fruits are overrated. At least most of the fruits - I take only avocados, apples, lemons and oranges. The rest is just too bloated with sugars I just don`t need, and the amount of vitamins you get in are not enough even for average-Joes.

But than again, it`s just an amateur point of view.

TRNHRD
09-12-10, 1:40 am
My opinion is there is worse out there for you than fruit and the sugar content in it. Id rather have a bowl of berries than a bowl of icecream, so if it curbs my craving for something sweet it's what I do :)