PDA

View Full Version : Back to Westside Plan, Critique Please

suicidegripme
09-08-10, 2:48 pm
Thank you for checking out my thread. I hate to ask for critiques but I want to run this right. Ran a westside programs before with mixed success, a lack of knowledge of the methods, poor dieting, and too much partying caused minimal gains in the past. I ran a successful westside program for about 4 months 8 or so months ago. However, the constant strain on my lower back with the heavy pulling, squatting, driving hours to school and work, sitting constantly caused me a lot of problems. For my current schedule, I plan to do lower 1 day a week, adding in a 2nd lower DE lower day when my schedule allows. Heres what I plan to do.

DAY 1 ME Upper
Work up to a 3-5 Rep Max (2 weeks each lift)
Floor Press, Overhead Press, Close-Grip Bench, Bench Press

DB Presses (incline or flat) 3-5x6-12
Row/Lat Variant 3-5x6-12
Light Beach/Vanity Work

DAY 2 ME LOWER
Box Squat, Front Squat, Rack Pull, Back Squat

RDL's 3-5x6-12
Leg Press 3-5x6-12
Core Work

DAY 4 RE Upper
Light/Medium Form Bench Press (Work on form, nothing about 85%. Singles, doubles, triples)

Row/Lat Variant 3-5x6-12
Heavy Vanity Work (emhpasis on tris)

**Subbed out Dynamic Effort bench because I didnt feel like I was getting anything out of it. Need a higher bench before I start worrying about I think**

Let me know what you guys think. Im pretty torn on doing this or sticking to a traditional bodybuilding split.

Big D
09-08-10, 2:57 pm
Thank you for checking out my thread. I hate to ask for critiques but I want to run this right. Ran a westside programs before with mixed success, a lack of knowledge of the methods, poor dieting, and too much partying caused minimal gains in the past. I ran a successful westside program for about 4 months 8 or so months ago. However, the constant strain on my lower back with the heavy pulling, squatting, driving hours to school and work, sitting constantly caused me a lot of problems. For my current schedule, I plan to do lower 1 day a week, adding in a 2nd lower DE lower day when my schedule allows. Heres what I plan to do.

DAY 1 ME Upper

Row/Lat Variant 3-5x6-12
Light Beach/Vanity Work

DAY 2 ME LOWER

RDL's 3-5x6-12
Leg Press 3-5x6-12
Core Work

DAY 4 RE Upper
Light/Medium Form Bench Press (Work on form, nothing about 85%. Singles, doubles, triples)

Row/Lat Variant 3-5x6-12

**Subbed out Dynamic Effort bench because I didnt feel like I was getting anything out of it. Need a higher bench before I start worrying about I think**

Let me know what you guys think. Im pretty torn on doing this or sticking to a traditional bodybuilding split.

training like this is going to slap mass on you if thats what youre looking for.. this isnt going to give you the normal training to failure that a "typical" bb split will get you.. it all depends on your goals. thats why the westside template is so great because you can tailor it to each individual

suicidegripme
09-08-10, 3:00 pm
training like this is going to slap mass on you if thats what youre looking for.. this isnt going to give you the normal training to failure that a "typical" bb split will get you.. it all depends on your goals. thats why the westside template is so great because you can tailor it to each individual

Thanks for the reply. Im really just looking to pack on some size. I love getting stronger too but mass is definitly the main goal. Do you think a bodybuilding split would be better suited for that or do you think I can pack on equally as much size with this set up (with a high calorie diet of course). I was going to do this or a Max-OT inspired program.

Big D
09-08-10, 3:06 pm
Thanks for the reply. Im really just looking to pack on some size. I love getting stronger too but mass is definitly the main goal. Do you think a bodybuilding split would be better suited for that or do you think I can pack on equally as much size with this set up (with a high calorie diet of course). I was going to do this or a Max-OT inspired program.

i would stick with Westside for 6-8 weeks (about 2 cycles of it) and see where you are at.
if i can make some suggestions tho....

1. On your ME upper day make sure you work up to a true 3-5 rep max on your first exercise and really hammer your dumbells and shoulder press movement.
2. On your ME lower day really work your assistant work.. thats where you will add the size in your legs
3. on your RE upper day after you do your first exercise(rep work) pick a exercise to pack on size for your tris (close grip, board presses, jm presses) instead of dumbbell work again.

suicidegripme
09-09-10, 12:38 am
i would stick with Westside for 6-8 weeks (about 2 cycles of it) and see where you are at.
if i can make some suggestions tho....

1. On your ME upper day make sure you work up to a true 3-5 rep max on your first exercise and really hammer your dumbells and shoulder press movement.
2. On your ME lower day really work your assistant work.. thats where you will add the size in your legs
3. on your RE upper day after you do your first exercise(rep work) pick a exercise to pack on size for your tris (close grip, board presses, jm presses) instead of dumbbell work again.

Thanks man. Ill do that.

BamBam
09-09-10, 11:35 am

DAY 1 ME Upper

Row/Lat Variant 3-5x6-12
Light Beach/Vanity Work

DAY 2 ME LOWER

RDL's 3-5x6-12
Leg Press 3-5x6-12
Core Work

DAY 4 RE Upper

Row/Lat Variant 3-5x6-12

If size is he goal, then yeah, this will work and I agree with what Big D has touched on already. However I will say this... if the split you ran before worked, and the only problem was the strain on the lower back, then invest in a foam roller.. seriously, I did, and need a new one, but it is probably the greatest tool in my arsenal. That and bands. Also, if a big bench is your goal, then stick with the westside bench method of ME/DE work. It has it's purpose and give it time to work. Again, I tend to ramble but if size is your goal then this should be fine, but if strength is the goal, then cut the max effort work down to a true one rep max. 100% is maximum effort, not 85, 90, 95, or even 99 %. Just depends all on what you want to do..

BB-

suicidegripme
09-09-10, 11:43 am
If size is he goal, then yeah, this will work and I agree with what Big D has touched on already. However I will say this... if the split you ran before worked, and the only problem was the strain on the lower back, then invest in a foam roller.. seriously, I did, and need a new one, but it is probably the greatest tool in my arsenal. That and bands. Also, if a big bench is your goal, then stick with the westside bench method of ME/DE work. It has it's purpose and give it time to work. Again, I tend to ramble but if size is your goal then this should be fine, but if strength is the goal, then cut the max effort work down to a true one rep max. 100% is maximum effort, not 85, 90, 95, or even 99 %. Just depends all on what you want to do..

BB-

Thanks man. I foam roll almost every leg, lower, or back workout. I think the problem with my lower back was the constant sitting. At work Id either be sitting or moving boxes and kegs. With my current schedule I can hit the gym 3-4x a week. I think I will add DE lower days when I can, Im just not going to stress about it too much.

I have 4 Elitefts minis. I could probably do Dynamic Bench work before my rep work for bench and see how that works out.

J A Y
09-09-10, 11:50 am
if size is what you are after, as the others have said, the 3-5 rep maxes and hitting your supplementary/accesory hard is where you will benefit...

another idea... take a look at this if your set on 3 days a week

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/60-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1.html

basically set our structured for you, dont even have to think about it

BamBam
09-09-10, 11:57 am
Thanks man. I foam roll almost every leg, lower, or back workout. I think the problem with my lower back was the constant sitting. At work Id either be sitting or moving boxes and kegs. With my current schedule I can hit the gym 3-4x a week. I think I will add DE lower days when I can, Im just not going to stress about it too much.

I have 4 Elitefts minis. I could probably do Dynamic Bench work before my rep work for bench and see how that works out.

I have done this before, OR, do my rep work after some heavy singles on Max Effort Day (ex. do heavy floor presses for a single, then go hit flat bench or DB press for 5 sets of 10).

Glad to hear u foam roll bro. You are already smarter than most people lol.

intoodeep25
09-10-10, 11:48 am

this may be way off from what you have, but i was also having low back pain and decided to find out what it truly was. turns out my piriformis muscle was SUPER tight, and it caused me a tonnnn of low back pain that was crazy painful. foam rolling the wrong way on it can actually cause it to become very aggitated. after a few days of stretching it out, i no longer have back pain. i guess what im saying is, it might be worth looking into, just a suggestion

intoodeep25
09-10-10, 11:51 am
oh and something else i found that works great for legs before bed (besides foam rolling), is a baking rolling pin...i take it and iron out my quads hams and calves, and it allows me to get great leverage in there and really beat on em. its helped me alot with my lower body, again, just a little suggestion

jeff00z28
09-11-10, 9:50 am
i just started the jim wendler westside template. going good so far

BamBam
09-11-10, 11:22 am
i just started the jim wendler westside template. going good so far

What might this be? Care to post?

jeff00z28
09-11-10, 11:42 am
What might this be? Care to post?

basically this

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/westside-barbell-basic-template-469668.html

BamBam
09-11-10, 11:45 am
That is THE WSBB template.. it is what Louie taught me day one up there. I hope Wendler didn't take credit for this... he is a good guy but didnt come up with it on his own.

Oh well, this is the method I follow and I fucking love it.. it got my strength through the roof

jeff00z28
09-11-10, 11:55 am
dunno if he did that he just either posted it all over the internet or in one place and some other people copied it all over to different forums

BamBam
09-11-10, 11:56 am
dunno if he did that he just either posted it all over the internet or in one place and some other people copied it all over to different forums

Gotya, hope u like it man.