PDA

View Full Version : Iron and Brass - my 5-3-1 experience

AlphaBrass01
09-12-10, 7:59 am
I already have this log going on a couple of other sites, but wanted to run it here as well, just to get as much feedback as possible. I can't promise I'll take everyone's advice all the time, but I will consider it.

I'll start out by copying what I already have from my first couple weeks of 5-3-1.

In addition, know that I'm also starting a new supplement stack this week, and I'm excited about it.

Pak
Pump
Flex
Omega
PM
M-Stak

Beef Aminos
Intra-Aid

Protein
Greens Product

AlphaBrass01
09-12-10, 8:05 am
A little background. I started lifting as part of losing weight. I started at a little over 280 and lost a lot of weight. I think I was 156 or so at my lightest. Since then, I've been trying to gain strength. I'm just finished about twelve weeks worth of a WS4SB template. While using this program, I saw how much I enjoyed training for strength, and have decided to give 5-3-1 a try. It appeals to me largely because it is very regimented. The percentages leave less to chance, which is good for someone who is a bit OCD like me. Also, sticking to Wendler's "Boring But Big" idea of assistance exercises gives will force me to stay simple with what I do.

I'm a little nervous about not having any direct arm or calf work (my calves are one of my favorite groups), but I think this will be good, as I tend to over-complicate programs. I'm planning on using weighted exercises for one lower and one upper day and body weight exercises for the other two days. I won't be including ab work, as I prefer to do that with cardio. I know my cardio will seem like A LOT to most people, but I find some cardio after lifting makes me feel better for the rest of the day, and a couple of endurance days keeps me feeling good. It may not fully support the strength goal, but I spent way too many years being the fat kid who couldn't finish the mile run in gym class, and doing it makes me feel good.

I'll start tomorrow with legs and we'll see how it goes from there!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a little bit more information to start out. I mentioned that I'm pretty OCD, which has been a part of what has helped me get to where I am from where I was. It has been a part of how I approach things for a long time, and interestingly enough, helped a lot with my musical development (I've played [French] horn for years, and play freelance whenever possible, hence my user name and the title of the thread) as well as my diet and training. I find that the way I practice horn has fed naturally into the way I train. The similarities surprise me, but really make sense.

Well, I figured I should start this thing with a bang, so squats it was this morning.

Warmup Squats: 5x155; 5x190; 3x230
Work Squats: 5x250; 5x290; 9x325
Assistance Squats: 5x10x190
Standing One Leg Hamstring Curls: 5x10x80
Elliptical: 2.52 miles in 10 minutes

I expect some of my assistance stuff to be pretty low. I'm trying to use lifts or variations of lifts that I don't have a lot of experience with. I've never used this particular ham machine. I've never done much one armed row stuff. I've shied away from pullups in the past. Also, I'm thinking GHRs will happen, and I've NEVER done one before, so this whole thing will be pretty new to me.

This day definitely accomplished one thing I was after. I wanted to cut the time of my workouts down. Over-complicating my routine, as I have a tendency to do, had added too much time to everything, and I as sure that I had reached a point of diminishing returns. This simplified things and I got out of the gym much more quickly and still felt pretty much dead when I left. Good deal.

------------------------------------------------------------

So, it felt strange to bench reps at such a low weight, but I felt it. It didn't push me quite as much as squats did yesterday; I was probably a bit more conservative on my 1MR estimate for this.

I think I hit my right side harder with the rows. I need to concentrate on the form with my left side - might have gotten a little loose with it because my left hand grip isn't quite as strong and wasn't as steady.

Warmup Bench: 5x95; 5x120; 3x145
Work Bench: 5x160; 5x185; 9x210
Assist Bench: 5x10x120
One Arm Dumbbell Row: 5x10x45
Elliptical: 2.49 miles in 10 minutes

I can feel my legs a lot from yesterday - good stuff. I can also feel my face from my horn practice session last night - killed my embouchure. It's interesting how much playing and lifting equate when I think about it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Endurance and heavy abs today - I know it's a lot, but like I've said, it leaves me feeling good, and actually feels like it loosens up my legs a bit.

Stepmill: 55 stories in 10 minutes
Arc Trainer: 0.69 miles in 10 minutes
Free Motion Weighted Crunch: 15x145; 15x145; 15x150; 15x150
Elliptical: 2.45 miles in 10 minutes
Stationary Bike: 7.57 miles in 20 minutes

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, GHRs were NOT going to happen after deadlifts today. I did some bodyweight back raises, instead, which still got my glutes going, in a more limited capacity, and REALLY exhausted my erector muscles - pretty tiring session.

Warmup Deads: 5x145; 5x180; 3x220
Work Deads: 5x235; 5x275; 10x310
Assistance Deads: 5x10x180
Bodyweight Back Raises (to failure): 26; 22; 21; 19; 19
Elliptical: 2.58 miles in 10 minutes

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elliptical: 2.47 miles in 10 minutes
Stationary Bike: 7.55 miles in 20 minutes

I will say that I don't feel as completely beat directly after my workouts as usual, but I sure as heck feel it more the next day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, Saturdays will definitely be my b**** days on this setup. They involve two exercises I've never really focused much on. When I started working out, I sucked at pullups, and never really incorporated them, and I've always just done other things for shoulders.

The good thing is that I definitely feel the military presses in my traps as well as the rest of my shoulder area, and I feel the pullups in my bis a lot more than I expected.

Warmup Military: 5x45; 5x60; 3x70
Work Military: 5x80; 5x90; 10x100
Assistance Military: 5x10x60
Bodyweight Wide Grip Pullups (to failure): 16; 13; 11; 11; 11
Elliptical: 2.56 miles in 10 minutes

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So, here are some thoughts on the first week of this template. I know I can't really speak too much to effectiveness or anything like that because, well, it's only been a week, but I still have some initial observations.

First, one thing I was worried about was the fact that i'm losing direct arm and calf work. I know that in the long run, this in't a big deal, especially if you're focusing on strength anyway, but we all have our hangups. I'm glad to say that in this week, I haven't seen anything negative from this. I have definitely felt my biceps and triceps working through the exercises I'm including, and my calves are still being worked with the cardio stuff I do. The stepmill hits them especially well.

Second, I was wondering how so the assistance work I've chosen would leave me. The truth is that it left me VERY sore. It's pretty interesting. The way these workouts have left me feeling confirms my suspicion that I had just overcomplicated what I was doing before. I'm doing fewer sets, and a much simpler and smaller set of lifts, but I feel like I'm getting a better training session in anyway. Maybe my body just reacts better to this type of thing. We'll see how it goes as I settle into the program a bit further.

Regarding individual sessions, they are shorter, but feel much more intense during the workout. I feel completely beat afterwards, but not mentally destroyed.

I really like the boring but big assistance work right now. I've gotten a couple of weird looks and questions when people see me doing so many sets of one exercise, but it doesn't bother me. I get weird looks just for deadlifting at all sometimes.

I'm also feeling that certain muscle groups (especially my back and shoulders) are getting hit from different angles.

Overall, I'm happy with this week and excited to see what happens as this goes on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Happy Labor Day...and by labor, I mean squats.

Work Squats: 3x270; 3x310; 7x345
Standing One Leg Hamstring Curls: 3x10x80; 2x10x85
Elliptical: 2.54 miles in 10 minutes

...and now to let the remainder of the long weekend waste away...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Work Bench: 3x170; 3x195; 7x220
One Arm Dumbbell Row: 3x10x45; 2x10x50
Elliptical: 2.53 miles in 10 minutes

All in all, a good day. My chest felt a lot less fatigued than it did after last week's workout...hmm...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've always treated these endurance days as my version of GPP. It's basically a sort of maintenance of an area of fitness that I don't want to lose, but is not really first on the list to push toward improvement. After today, I can tell that I won't be getting as much distance in on the cardio machines during these days while on 5-3-1. My legs seem to stay sore a lot longer and that obviously limits that. I pushed myself HARD this morning, and the number are the lowest I've seen from this type of workout in a long time. I won't get upset about it, though.

I'll also blame work a little bit for this morning. It's been crazy for the past couple of weeks, and I didn't get out of the office until about 9:30 last night, after which I had to drive home, cook for today, and then eat (I was hungry) before hitting the sheets. I slept well, but that doesn't make about 4.5 hours enough. I know sleep is incredibly important, but earning a living has to come first. Hopefully I can get some good rest tonight.

Elliptical: 2.39 miles in 10 minutes
Stationary Bike: 7.44 miles in 20 minutes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this was one of the toughest sessions I've had in a long time. I still haven't gotten the best sleep - ANOTHER late night at work last night, but I'm happy with how today went.

Work Deads: 3x255; 3x290; 7x330
Bodyweight Back Raises (to failure): 28; 22; 22; 19; 19
Elliptical: 2.55 miles in 10 minutes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Free Motion Weighted Crunch: 15x150; 15x150; 15x150; 15x150
Elliptical: 2.48 miles in 10 minutes
Stationary Bike: 7.51 miles in 20 minutes

My legs have recovered a lot more from squats and weren't completely destroyed by deadlifts yesterday. Today felt good, if that can be said of an endurance day.

BTW, I am RIDICULOUSLY ready for the weekend. I'm exhausted, and I'm excited to get to see former and current music students of mine perform tomorrow.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm really excited about working on my overhead press. Obviously, as I've said, I haven't done a lot with it in the past, so I'm starting light, but like a buddy of mine said, "There's just something awesome about lifting heavy stuff above your head."

Work Military: 3x85; 3x95; 7x110
Bodyweight Wide Grip Pullups (to failure): 17; 14; 11; 11; 11
Elliptical: 2.58 miles in 10 minutes

AlphaBrass01
09-12-10, 10:51 am
It was awesome to get out there to see my students perform yesterday. It was also great to see some people from the music education scene who haven't seen me in a while, and hear them comment on the changes in my build. I do get a bit uncomfortable when I'm complimented a lot, but when you've worked really hard for something, it's still great to hear some outside confirmation of the results!

AlphaBrass01
09-13-10, 8:19 am
It was an okay morning. I probably could have pushed another rep on my heavy set, but part of the reason I'm using this program is to avoid complete failure sets on the core lifts (for the most part). It's okay, since the next light sets of squats completely did my legs in.

Work Squats: 5x290; 3x325; 4x365
Standing One Leg Hamstring Curls: 5x10x85
Elliptical: 2.51 miles in 10 minutes

mritter3
09-13-10, 8:21 am
very cool man...i have been running 531 for awhile now and love it....your routine looks solid man...subbed.

AlphaBrass01
09-13-10, 8:25 am
Glad to see others who have had success with 5-3-1. After my weight loss, I was basically obsessed with the split idea and trying to hit every muscle possibly individually. When I started wanting to focus more on strength, I let that go, but only a little bit, using a WS4SB template and incorporating a bodybuilding type assistance scheme. I finally convinced myself that the best thing to do next was to just go back to basics - get strong by lifting heavy things. I like it so far.

AlphaBrass01
09-14-10, 8:40 am
Work Bench: 5x185; 3x210; 4x235
One Arm Dumbbell Row: 5x10x50
Elliptical: 2.54 miles in 10 minutes

AlphaBrass01
09-15-10, 8:42 am
It's so funny how sometimes you feel like you've really pushed hard through a cardio session and then realized you didn't do as much as you thought, at least distance-wise. I guess it's due to existing muscle fatigue or whatnot. Either way, that's how it was on the bike for me this morning. I felt like I was driving all the way through it and came out with at least a tenth of a mile less than I expected. I know that on a bike, that's really not much at all, but it's just the idea of it. Whatever.

Free Motion Weighted Crunch: 15x150; 15x150; 15x150; 15x150
Elliptical: 2.43 miles in 10 minutes
Stationary Bike: 7.34 miles in 20 minutes

Also, I'm going to deload next week. I want to stick with a deload every wave for a while. I'm just wondering how you feel the best way to deal with the assistance lifts would be, specifically with the setup I've been using. Any help would be appreciated.

AlphaBrass01
09-18-10, 12:05 pm
Here's the end of this week. I've been ridiculously busy, which is why I haven't posted after my sessions. Basically, for the last few days, I've either been working, training, sleeping, eating, or cooking, so the computer has been left alone.

Thursday

Work Deads: 5x275; 3x310; 5x345
Bodyweight Back Raises (to failure): 29; 23; 22; 20; 20
Elliptical: 2.43 miles in 10 minutes

Friday

Free Motion Weighted Crunch: 4x15x150
Elliptical: 2.39 miles in 10 minutes
Stationary Bike: 7.47 miles in 20 minutes

Today

Work Military: 5x90; 3x100; 5x115
Bodyweight Wide Grip Pullups (to failure): 17; 15; 12; 12; 11
Elliptical: 2.50 miles in 10 minutes

T. Kemble
09-18-10, 12:14 pm
looks good bro, remember in the 5/3/1 book Wendler says to always leave 'one rep in the tank' and not to take stuff to failure. That may attribute to you feeling shot also. Do you live somewhere where you dont have access to a hill to sprint or a sled to push/drag? All your cardio is being done on machines which may be limiting you as well. I know you gota play the hand you're dealt with equipment/training facilities and all but little tweaks can make a huge difference in your training. If you have any questions feel free to PM me, I've been running 5/3/1 for a while.

TK

AlphaBrass01
09-18-10, 1:07 pm
Yeah - I know it's less than ideal. Unfortunately, with my schedule and the fact that I don't have anywhere near me that would be good for hill sprints, or access to sleds/prowlers, it's tough to do a whole lot else. I do really want to keep a lot of cardio and endurance work involved in my training, and I'm trying to do my best with what I have to get that working.

Also, I do avoid going all the way to failure. I think some of the feeling beat lately has simply come from the rest of the day's activities. Work's been long lately, and I haven't gotten as much sleep as I would like. This weekend should help reset me a bit. Along with a week of lighter lifting, I'm really interested to see how I feel strength-wise the next week. I've never really deloaded before, so I don't know exactly what to expect.

AlphaBrass01
09-20-10, 7:55 am
This is my first experience with taking it easy and deloading without a specific reason, like an injury, so it's a little bit different for me. I realize I'm not going really low on the assistance stuff, but I am planning on hitting a week like this every cycle, so I don't know how much I need to drop everything. I think that, like everything else, it will be a process of trial and error to see what works best for me. I'm just taking it easy on everything for the week, including my cardio.

Deload Squats: 2x5x155; 2x5x190; 5x230; 3x230
Assistance Squats: 5x10x155
Standing One Leg Hamstring Curls: 5x10x50
Elliptical: 1.48 miles in 10 minutes

mritter3
09-20-10, 8:50 am
deload is a necessity on 531 man...your joints need a break from the heavy weights...you can even take the week off completely..but if your going to deload there are percentages to follow in the manual.

AlphaBrass01
09-21-10, 8:16 am
I agree with deloading being a good thing. Also, for the main lift, I am using the percentages given in the manual - 40, 50, 60 - along with the three sets of the same percentages I would have used for a warmup. For the assistance work, I'm using 40% on the main lift and about 60% on the secondary lift. I know it may not follow everything precisely, but the template leaves how you deload on assistance work pretty open, and also readily states that some prefer not to deload every cycle. As I have said, I've never really done a deload before, and I know this is a little bit heavier than it could be, but I also haven't felt a whole lot of stress after the first three weeks other than the initial tired feeling directly after a session, which I think is pretty normal for anyone who pushes himself. Also, like I've said, I'll evaluate how this week affects everything and perhaps adjust accordingly the next time I back it down. I appreciate your point - this is a place to start and see how it goes.

Anyway, here was today:

Deload Bench: 2x5x95; 2x5x120; 5x145; 3x145
Assistance Bench: 5x10x95
One Arm Dumbbell Row: 5x10x30
Elliptical: 1.66 miles in 10 minutes

AlphaBrass01
09-22-10, 8:26 am
So, I am starting to understand what one of my friends told me about lighter weeks/deloading. It's good for you, but it's almost more stressful than lifting heavy, in that basically, it's boring.

Stepmill: 37 stories in 10 minutes
Arc Trainer: 0.58 miles in 10 minutes
Free Motion Weighted Crunch: 4x15x90
Elliptical: 1.39 miles in 10 minutes
Stationary Bike: 6.01 miles in 20 minutes

AlphaBrass01
09-23-10, 7:59 am
Deload Deads: 2x5x145; 2x5x180; 5x220; 3x220
Assistance Deads: 5x10x145
Bodyweight Back Raises: 17; 13; 13; 12; 12
Elliptical: 1.59 miles in 10 minutes

mritter3
09-23-10, 8:21 am
gotta love the deload man...give those joints a well needed rest

AlphaBrass01
09-23-10, 8:35 am
Yeah, it's interesting. I'm REALLY interested to see how next week feels. I feel stronger, if anything, though I was anticipating feeling a loss of strength, even if it would have been a false indication.