PDA

View Full Version : Advice on training

DayDream
09-12-10, 11:50 am
Sup guys, I have a question to ask!

Heres the dilio, I play a lot of football and some of my strongest assets are my speed and agility, and I know from experience building too much muscles slows me down and causes other unwanted problems, such as shin splints.

So my question is how can I become stronger, up my lifts and get a great body figure without building too much muscle? I know this is the opposite of what most of you guys are trying to achieve but if you have any thoughts I'd really appreciate it.

msktyshha
09-12-10, 9:00 pm
Bruce lee had a lot of muscles and yet he had all the above that you mentioned. i guess you just don't want to get biggerrr muscles, so the way to do that is maintain your current calories

SpankyC
09-12-10, 9:11 pm

Heres the dilio, I play a lot of football and some of my strongest assets are my speed and agility, and I know from experience building too much muscles slows me down and causes other unwanted problems, such as shin splints.

So my question is how can I become stronger, up my lifts and get a great body figure without building too much muscle? I know this is the opposite of what most of you guys are trying to achieve but if you have any thoughts I'd really appreciate it.

Oh man, bro unless your some genetic freak or on "apple juice" your not gonna add "too much muscle", you think gaining muscle is fukn easy?! Thats going to take years and years of dedication, but you can certainly get your core lifts up which will lead in overall body strength. Look into a westside barbell program, in other words focus on presses,dips,chins,rows,deadlifts,squats and with a high protein/carb, moderate fat diet youl increase strength monthly, NEVER WORRY ABOUT GETTING "TOO BIG", cuz.....YOU AINT! lol, just the truth bro.

Oh and keep the form tigh ton your lifts, focus on the negative portion and there will be a pot of gold waiting for you.

prowrestler
09-12-10, 10:10 pm
Bruce lee had a lot of muscles and yet he had all the above that you mentioned. i guess you just don't want to get biggerrr muscles, so the way to do that is maintain your current calories

....no he didnt.. he was like a buck 40 lol

SpankyC
09-12-10, 11:20 pm

hahaah the "bro science" on forums are epic arnt they!

DayDream
09-13-10, 7:28 am
Oh man, bro unless your some genetic freak or on "apple juice" your not gonna add "too much muscle", you think gaining muscle is fukn easy?! Thats going to take years and years of dedication, but you can certainly get your core lifts up which will lead in overall body strength. Look into a westside barbell program, in other words focus on presses,dips,chins,rows,deadlifts,squats and with a high protein/carb, moderate fat diet youl increase strength monthly, NEVER WORRY ABOUT GETTING "TOO BIG", cuz.....YOU AINT! lol, just the truth bro.

Oh and keep the form tigh ton your lifts, focus on the negative portion and there will be a pot of gold waiting for you.

Don't know about freak but I'm genetically gifted for sure, my friend even joke saying I take roids but they know I don't.

I even stopped training completely for over a month just to try and lose any muscle I had gained to stop myself getting shin splints (because the pain was becoming unbearable), which apparently (amoung other things), is a symptom of unproportioned muscles in the body, and so far it's worked, coincidence? I doubt it.

But thanks for the advice, bro.

msktyshha
09-13-10, 7:55 am

well that buck 40 was all muscle with extremely less body fat and muscle definition everywhere. I gave his example cause when people see definition they think a person has a lot of musclesss and thus they can't be too agile and what so ever.

prowrestler
09-13-10, 2:14 pm
well that buck 40 was all muscle with extremely less body fat and muscle definition everywhere. I gave his example cause when people see definition they think a person has a lot of musclesss and thus they can't be too agile and what so ever.

....no dude loool

when people see a ripped body they think the guy can move like lightning and is a super athlete.

it is when they see a big bulked frame they think "can this guy even tie his shoes"

example, brock lesnar.

Universal Rep
09-13-10, 2:18 pm

Just for clarification, when you say "football", you mean what we Yanks call soccer, right?

SpankyC
09-13-10, 3:46 pm
Don't know about freak but I'm genetically gifted for sure, my friend even joke saying I take roids but they know I don't.

I even stopped training completely for over a month just to try and lose any muscle I had gained to stop myself getting shin splints (because the pain was becoming unbearable), which apparently (amoung other things), is a symptom of unproportioned muscles in the body, and so far it's worked, coincidence? I doubt it.

no problem

you saying your genetically gifted is making me "lol"

msktyshha
09-13-10, 10:37 pm
....no dude loool

when people see a ripped body they think the guy can move like lightning and is a super athlete.

it is when they see a big bulked frame they think "can this guy even tie his shoes"

example, brock lesnar.

k never mind I am confused now lol

Eric210
09-14-10, 7:40 pm
look at west sides method with a mix of ME and DE work, you wont gain a lot of size but focus on strength and speed

IRON-L
09-15-10, 3:41 am
LoL, funny thread here guys...

If you play soccer or "English football" you sure as hell run a lot - I think its like 10 km in a 90 minute match right? Now you must be "daydreaming" if you think you can gain when doin cardio like that...lol.

Yeah so, all those guys are very, very skinny - and maybe you're definition of "big muscles" differs from other guys here...whats your stats?

Anyway, to the guy here that thinks Bruce Lee was muscular and defined (in all his movies he ranged between 130 and 150 pounds with <4% fat?) bro thats pretty darn small in my point of view.

If you want to see muscularity/definition/symmetry - do yourself a favour and check out Shawn Ray.

Devil
09-15-10, 4:39 am
Your speed and agility will adjust with your strength but football is a contact sport. Better to be on the stronger end of things.

Juggernaut_Jones
09-15-10, 2:34 pm
LoL, funny thread here guys...

If you play soccer or "English football" you sure as hell run a lot - I think its like 10 km in a 90 minute match right? Now you must be "daydreaming" if you think you can gain when doin cardio like that...lol.

Yeah so, all those guys are very, very skinny - and maybe you're definition of "big muscles" differs from other guys here...whats your stats?

Anyway, to the guy here that thinks Bruce Lee was muscular and defined (in all his movies he ranged between 130 and 150 pounds with <4% fat?) bro thats pretty darn small in my point of view.

If you want to see muscularity/definition/symmetry - do yourself a favour and check out Shawn Ray.

Yeah or anyone else in the olympia lineup.

(My favorite...Kai)

d1sc1ple
09-16-10, 1:46 pm
Focus on Heavy Lifts Say 3X3 or 5x5's don't overdo your calories and you will be fine. Have You seen NFL players? They are huge fast and agile! Have you seen Marathon runners, not sprint fast and probably not agile, none that I have met anyways.

Try massaging your shins with wintergreen alcohol, increases blood flow, also try doing the mountain climber stretch but twist your back knee towards your other leg. this helped me. Also if it's a muscle imbalance problem why not try to strengthen the lagging muscles? it is more logical for an athlete to strengthen his weaknesses instead of making himself weaker. Or is that not common sense?

DayDream
09-17-10, 4:26 am
Just for clarification, when you say "football", you mean what we Yanks call soccer, right?

Yeah I meant soccer, sorry for the confusion.

Focus on Heavy Lifts Say 3X3 or 5x5's don't overdo your calories and you will be fine. Have You seen NFL players? They are huge fast and agile! Have you seen Marathon runners, not sprint fast and probably not agile, none that I have met anyways.

Try massaging your shins with wintergreen alcohol, increases blood flow, also try doing the mountain climber stretch but twist your back knee towards your other leg. this helped me. Also if it's a muscle imbalance problem why not try to strengthen the lagging muscles? it is more logical for an athlete to strengthen his weaknesses instead of making himself weaker. Or is that not common sense?

Yea I try to workout my legs more then anything these days anyway, I figured thats the right thing to do as a 'soccer' player.

I think I'll switch to a weight I can only get 3/4 reps out on for a while and see how it goes.. I'll also give that wintergreen alcohol and go with some stretches, thanks for the advice mate.

PORTERHOUSE
09-17-10, 4:29 pm
hahaah the "bro science" on forums are epic arnt they!

People always rag on "bro science" like there is some other kind of iron-clad science in this sport to fall back on.

Honestly I don't know what the difference is anymore. I just eat and lift and grow.

Sprint
09-17-10, 5:56 pm

Totally 100% agree. Bit harsh around the edges but the meat here is what to focus on.

You stopped training completely for over a month & the pain went away. Maybe it was a case of you were resting & your body recovered. If you rest completely for over a month & you're still in pain, from anything, then there's other shit going on that needs addressing.

....no dude loool

example, brock lesnar.

k never mind I am confused now lol

Not sure how you're confused. Brock Lesnar (as much as I can't stand him) is a big old lump who moves fairly quickly. You look at him being so big & think "He'll be lumbering around like a zombie in a 1950s film" then he's taken you to the ground & put dents in your face. See: Frank Mir.

Your speed and agility will adjust with your strength but football is a contact sport. Better to be on the stronger end of things.

Bang on, if you apply your training correctly then there's no reason why you can't be big, strong, fast and agile.

This isn't the first thread on here regarding this type of question & this isn't the first time I've given this response...

Plyometrics.

There, develops core strength, explosive strength, speed, power, agility, flexibility, co-ordination & body awareness. Incorporate this with your basic lifts as mentioned by Spanky, and you're set.
Deadlifts, keep form tight, slow on the way down. Touch the bar GENTLY on the ground, pause for a second, explode up. That's a controlled explosion, by the way.

Squats, keep form tight, slow on the way down, only go to halfway for these IMO using safety rods in the rack. Touch the bar GENTLY on the rods, pause, explode up.

Im a competitive sprinter bro, & I train on the track specifically for that, I use plyometrics to aid my sprinting, and I love the bodybuilding style of training & physiques that go with it so I train in the gym as a bodybuilder for the most part. I'm not going to start tooting my own trumpet, but suffice to say Im the number one sprinter at my club, & get asked on an almost daily basis what "stuff" Im on in the gym, as I have the physqiue of a bodybuilder. I even got asked by a rival sprinter from another club, on the start line of a race recently "Fucking hell mate, enough steroids?" (Im 100% natural, for the record)

Two separate people who work with me at my gym refused to believe I was a sprinter as I was "too big" & actually asked "How could you run?" until I showed them videos of me doing plyometrics drills. Until that point they'd only seen my physique & seen me training bodybuilder-style in the gym. Since they saw the videos, they've been asking about my next track competition & taking an interest in the athletics side of my training.

PM me if you like bro, if not then take away this advice...

Apply the correct training, in the correct way & your body will respond in kind.
If you train for size, you can aquire size (to a degree)
If you train for strength, you can aquire strength
If you train for speed & agility, you can aquire speed & agility
Guess what you can aquire if you train for all of the above?

Don't limit yourself by adhering to other people's stereotypical views.

AntoineV
09-19-10, 5:56 pm

Keep your reps below 6.... Look at the olympic weight lifters in special weight classes.... they lift some crazy ass weights... it's all about training your central nervous system and muscle coordination. Low reps will build strenght without building that much muscle.... Also having really strong hamstrings will greatly improve your sprinting ability.

DayDream
09-21-10, 5:34 pm
Nice one guys just the information I was looking for, knew this would be the right place to ask, thanks again.

Sprint
09-21-10, 6:36 pm
Nice one guys just the information I was looking for, knew this would be the right place to ask, thanks again.

Keep us updated on how you're getting on bro.