Seated Rows - 3x10-12
Barbell Rows - 3x8
Reverse Barbell Rows - 3x8
Deadlifts - 3x8-10
Pulldowns - 3x8-10
Dumbbell Shrugs - 3x10-15
Barbell Shrugs - 3x8-10
Rear Barbell Shrugs - 3x8-10

I feel like I'm getting stronger, and i've increased my dumbbell row from 33lbs to 68lbs within about 3 months, and my back is more defined. I haven't had any back problems as of so far, but I just want to make sure that I'm not overdoing myself or am going to run into any long term problems by doing this.

Any feedback?

Cole673a
09-16-10, 11:17 pm
not hating or bashing in any way but you have 33 and 68 pound dumbbells or maybe im misreading?

TRNHRD
09-16-10, 11:41 pm
I don't think what you are doing is overly wrong however you should start with the big compound move and then work more on isolation IMO. As well, you have a lot of the same movement just done in different ways. I would recommend switching out two of the movements for something to work your lats and hits your back differnetly... My back workout (not in order), currently is: Lat pulldowns, Dumbell Pullovers, Dead Lift, One-Arm Dumbell Row, T-Bar Row, and Chin ups

SpankyC
09-16-10, 11:53 pm
I could use a couple of opinions here.

This is my current set-up for Back Day (a.k.a Thursday):

Warm-Up: Pullups 2x5

One-Arm Dumbbell Rows - 3x8-10
Seated Rows - 3x10-12
Barbell Rows - 3x8
Deadlifts - 3x8-10
Pulldowns - 3x8-10
Barbell Shrugs - 3x8-10

I feel like I'm getting stronger, and i've increased my dumbbell row from 33lbs to 68lbs within about 3 months, and my back is more defined. I haven't had any back problems as of so far, but I just want to make sure that I'm not overdoing myself or am going to run into any long term problems by doing this.

Any feedback?

chins
bent rows (change grip every workout)(over, underhand, or t-bar)
Pulldowns (change grip every workout)
deadlifts (alt with rack deads every other week)
cable rows (change grip every workout)
shrugs (bar or dumbbells)

Zieben
09-16-10, 11:56 pm
not hating or bashing in any way but you have 33 and 68 pound dumbbells or maybe im misreading?

I don't think what you are doing is overly wrong however you should start with the big compound move and then work more on isolation IMO. As well, you have a lot of the same movement just done in different ways. I would recommend switching out two of the movements for something to work your lats and hits your back differnetly... My back workout (not in order), currently is: Lat pulldowns, Dumbell Pullovers, Dead Lift, One-Arm Dumbell Row, T-Bar Row, and Chin ups

The gym I go to has weights set like that - [33lb dumbbell = 3lb handle, 2 - 10lb plates and 2 - 5lb weights], [68lb = 3 lb handle, 6 - 10lb plates and 2 - 2 1/2lb plates]. I guess it's odd, but it gets the job done.

Thanks for the advice - I'll sub out some moves to switch things up.

Zieben
09-16-10, 11:59 pm
chins
bent rows (change grip every workout)(over, underhand, or t-bar)
Pulldowns (change grip every workout)
deadlifts (alt with rack deads every other week)
cable rows (change grip every workout)
shrugs (bar or dumbbells)

Also good advice, much appreciated bro.

ronald1919
09-17-10, 12:16 am
this back routine is overkill.

Deads 5x5
BB or DB row 4x5
weighted chins 3x8

go heavy and u wont need to do anymore useless moves

S. Clarida
09-17-10, 12:46 am
No such thing as overtraining, in my book. I believe in lots of volume and my training can last up to 2 hours or better. When I train back, I do a lot of exercises to work the width, thickness, detail and lower back.

If your're making the gains you need, keep at it. I suggest changing up the workouts each week but starting with pull-ups is a smart idea!

GK

theharjmann
09-17-10, 10:39 am
^^^agreed.

each to their own.

i read somewhere once that Phil heath does a LOT of volume for his back. And he has an amazing back.

Dorian always believed in low volume, high intensity, and it served him well.

Do what works

Lowdown5
09-17-10, 1:53 pm
No such thing as overtraining, in my book. I believe in lots of volume and my training can last up to 2 hours or better. When I train back, I do a lot of exercises to work the width, thickness, detail and lower back.

If your're making the gains you need, keep at it. I suggest changing up the workouts each week but starting with pull-ups is a smart idea!

GK

That right there says it all. Great post.

Devil
09-17-10, 2:26 pm
I'm inexperienced but from the looks of things you've got all the workouts in. I think the reverse grip ones could be taken out you don't want to overtrain your back. How often do you do this routine? Once a week?

Zieben
09-17-10, 8:19 pm
I'm inexperienced but from the looks of things you've got all the workouts in. I think the reverse grip ones could be taken out you don't want to overtrain your back. How often do you do this routine? Once a week?

Yeah this is once per week, on Thursday.

Zieben
09-17-10, 8:21 pm

GK

That right there says it all. Great post.

Thanks brothers, I was a little worried about over stressing myself, but if my back can take the beating then I should go for it a guess. Better to train too much than not enough, no? At least I'd have the discipline and determination part down!

mm_tris
09-20-10, 6:20 am
i am using the following back routine and its a great read on the whole if you are interested; http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/animalpak79.htm

you only have 18 sets of "back work" so you're on track. i tend to train my traps on top of this twice a week. as previously mentioned id probably just bump your bb rows further up the workout so uv got more energy to throw at them. also, 4 "rows", id ditch the 3 extra reverse sets and just alternate grips each week.

msktyshha
09-20-10, 1:08 pm
I could use a couple of opinions here.

This is my current set-up for Back Day (a.k.a Thursday):

Warm-Up: Pullups 2x5

One-Arm Dumbbell Rows - 3x8-10
Seated Rows - 3x10-12
Barbell Rows - 3x8
Deadlifts - 3x8-10
Pulldowns - 3x8-10
Barbell Shrugs - 3x8-10

Any feedback?

is your deadlift and barbell rows going up in weight?

Sprint
09-20-10, 2:23 pm

GK

^^^agreed.

each to their own.

i read somewhere once that Phil heath does a LOT of volume for his back. And he has an amazing back.

Dorian always believed in low volume, high intensity, and it served him well.

Do what works

That's it right there. I don't fancy getting involved in another overtraining thread, but this one is sounding much better than a few others bouncing around. Do what works for you, try stuff out, mix stuff up. Find your groove & off you go.