PDA

View Full Version : Howitzer's ultimate oatmeal

Howitzer
09-17-10, 4:48 pm
Oatmeal. Boring. Plain. Absolutely essential!

Choking down oatmeal is something we do. But it doesn't have to suck. Here are some things you can do to make yours... THE ULTIMATE OATMEAL!

Oatmeal-required
Scoop of vanilla whey- recommended
Tablespoon of honey- recommended
2 servings of milled flax seed - delicious
1 tablespoon natural peanut butter - delicious
Fresh cut berries or fruit - delicious (I don't want to hear shit about fruit. It's group of whole foods that we ignore too much!)
Milk - can be substituted for water to make your oatmeal richer.

Basically, if you rock some or all of these ingredients, you will succeed in making your oatmeal more nutrient dense, more delicious, and not a chore to eat. I mean, eat it anyway, but don't pretend variety isn't nice.

I'm rocking 2 cups of oatmeal, the whey, peanutbutter, honey, and flax seed as my post workout meal currently. I've always found I gain the most quality mass when I hit the oatmeal and protein post workout.

KABOOM!

Howitzer

C.Coronato
09-20-10, 10:41 am
Looking good, thanks man.

Sandman
09-21-10, 12:11 am
I've been eating steel cut oats, I had heard they were better for u. Is there any real reason to eat one over the other?

I'll for sure be tryin this out to help me get down more oatmeal each day.

Howitzer
09-21-10, 12:43 am
Your question made me curious Duner. Thank you! I love being curious. So the difference between steel cut oats and rolled oats is that steel cut oats are technically a whole grain. They contain pieces of oat bran (rich in dietary fiber, b vitamins, omegas, and protein). Rolled oats is just the interior portion of the oat which has been pressed flat and lightly steamed.

If you have the time and don't mind your oats chewier than "normal" then you can totally eat steel cut oats. If you want something fast, eating rolled oats is the way to go. I solve the lack of fiber and omegas by adding the milled flax seed to my rolled oats. That way, I get them fast and I get the benefit (I think roughly) of cut oats.

Thanks for the question!

Howitzer

PM
09-21-10, 1:50 am
Oatmeal. Boring. Plain. Absolutely essential!

Choking down oatmeal is something we do. But it doesn't have to suck. Here are some things you can do to make yours... THE ULTIMATE OATMEAL!

Oatmeal-required
Scoop of vanilla whey- recommended
Tablespoon of honey- recommended
2 servings of milled flax seed - delicious
1 tablespoon natural peanut butter - delicious
Fresh cut berries or fruit - delicious (I don't want to hear shit about fruit. It's group of whole foods that we ignore too much!)
Milk - can be substituted for water to make your oatmeal richer.

Basically, if you rock some or all of these ingredients, you will succeed in making your oatmeal more nutrient dense, more delicious, and not a chore to eat. I mean, eat it anyway, but don't pretend variety isn't nice.

I'm rocking 2 cups of oatmeal, the whey, peanutbutter, honey, and flax seed as my post workout meal currently. I've always found I gain the most quality mass when I hit the oatmeal and protein post workout.

KABOOM!

Howitzer

Oatmeal straight out of the tin or cooked?

Howitzer
09-21-10, 1:55 am
I pour my oatmeal out of a bulk 10 lb box, mix in the ingredients, and then add boiling water. Then you just stir it in and let it sit for about a minute and it's ready. Takes 3 minutes for the ultimate oatmeal.

PM
09-21-10, 2:01 am
I pour my oatmeal out of a bulk 10 lb box, mix in the ingredients, and then add boiling water. Then you just stir it in and let it sit for about a minute and it's ready. Takes 3 minutes for the ultimate oatmeal.

Thanx bro, gotta try it out today...

Howitzer
09-21-10, 2:05 am
Let us know how it goes!

Sandman
09-21-10, 4:04 pm
Your question made me curious Duner. Thank you! I love being curious. So the difference between steel cut oats and rolled oats is that steel cut oats are technically a whole grain. They contain pieces of oat bran (rich in dietary fiber, b vitamins, omegas, and protein). Rolled oats is just the interior portion of the oat which has been pressed flat and lightly steamed.

If you have the time and don't mind your oats chewier than "normal" then you can totally eat steel cut oats. If you want something fast, eating rolled oats is the way to go. I solve the lack of fiber and omegas by adding the milled flax seed to my rolled oats. That way, I get them fast and I get the benefit (I think roughly) of cut oats.

Thanks for the question!

Howitzer

Interesting. I guess i'll keep some of both around for a change of pace every once in awhile.

Howitzer
09-27-10, 12:21 am
So I've got this crazy friend right. I gave him my ultimate oatmeal and he took it upon himself to make it more ultimate! Instead of my cheapshit leftover stale ass vanilla whey (which still tasted pretty good) I was told to try it with a scoop of my fresh chocolate Just Whey. What do you know? It's tastes even fucking better. It's like a desert. 2 cups oatmeal, 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter, and a scoop of chocolate flavored Just Whey. Total victory.

Howitzer

bigrobb
09-29-10, 6:46 pm
thanks for the suggestion bro

MRmichael.hooker
09-29-10, 6:56 pm
if your looking for a lil leaner of a meal, i've found much joy in this one too:

Real Oats (however many you need based on your carb situation)
water
1 Tablespoon Udo's Oil
1/2 banana

Howitzer
09-29-10, 8:43 pm
Nice. I gotta try it with the banana.

metfan
09-29-10, 8:55 pm
May sound crazy to some, but I have occasionally added 1/2 cup almonds or trail mix to my oats just to give it some flavor and get a little added protein and EFA's in there.

But liking the ideas in here, may give some of them a go.

Howitzer
09-29-10, 9:21 pm
Almonds does sound good. You chop 'em or leave 'em whole? Trail mix has too much sugar for my liking (don't get me wrong... delicious).

Oatmeal is like a reflection of what you are trying to do in the gym. It has a place wherever you decide to go. Carbs, protein, fats, fiber, vitamins... We can control these things in our oatmeal. In a way, you can see where you are in your process by looking into your oats.

metfan
10-03-10, 1:06 pm
Almonds does sound good. You chop 'em or leave 'em whole? Trail mix has too much sugar for my liking (don't get me wrong... delicious).

Oatmeal is like a reflection of what you are trying to do in the gym. It has a place wherever you decide to go. Carbs, protein, fats, fiber, vitamins... We can control these things in our oatmeal. In a way, you can see where you are in your process by looking into your oats.

I just leave the almonds whole and mix them up in there. As for the trail mix, I eat it occasionally as I find there is too much sugar too. But it is a nice treat on occasion. Also add cashews or skip the PB and just have unsalted peanuts. When you eat oats daily, you have to get creative at times.

Great analogy by the way, never viewed the journey in quite that sense.