PDA

View Full Version : Training on empty

The_Genius
09-19-10, 10:01 pm
I'm sure some of us have a common problem, I'm busy as HELL. Five days a week I gotta hit the gym first thing in the morning. I always down a protein shake and a cup of coffee before I head out. Are there any cons to training before I have any meals down? I always eat as soon as I finish my session. Does your body make better use my meals if I train after I've downed a couple plates. Or is it just as good to get the training in before the food.

C.Coronato
09-20-10, 11:12 am
I personally always like to eat before i train, simply because without the food in me, i feel so run down and drained.

The_Genius
09-21-10, 8:59 am
That is definitely understandable, I have trained later in the day this summer. But lately I have been able to get up have a shake and get plenty amped before I hit the gym in the am. I don't feel like I lose any performance by training empty.

Sprint
09-21-10, 9:09 am
I know what you're saying, I don't like training without at least having chowed down something.

If you're pushed for time, try an apple for a quick-fix. I've trained many times on just an apple due to work commitments. Seems to do the trick for me.

theharjmann
09-21-10, 11:48 am
Steady state cardio on empty? Yes!

Lifting weights? NOOOO!

Aggression
09-21-10, 12:00 pm
I always suggest training with some food; a shake and a piece of fruit in the least. You need to supply your body with energy to use. Otherwise, it'll turn to your muscle to use as fuel. Then you're just spinning your wheels yet not getting anywhere.

That's my understanding...

Sandman
09-22-10, 4:34 am
On the days i have to train right after I get up I always make sure to have my Eggs and Oats before I go to the gym. It means I have to get up 20mins earlier but I think it's worth it.

Sprint
09-22-10, 9:12 am
On the days i have to train right after I get up I always make sure to have my Eggs and Oats before I go to the gym. It means I have to get up 20mins earlier but I think it's worth it.

That's it bro. Cut out the late night shit on tv, get to bed a bit earlier, get up a bit earlier & prepare some grub.

intoodeep25
09-22-10, 11:57 am
i usually down a shake with natty pb, and then have an apple, pak, and some ALA. 45 mins later i take 2 scoops shock and 4 GH max pills and at that point im ready to go savage on the weights....just what ive been doing lately, dont see a problem with it

Boxer
09-22-10, 2:17 pm
First post guys, hope Im doin this right.

Ive often wondered this same question with my schedule. Ive heard cardio is appropriate on an empty stomach, but as for lifting Ive heard different.

Ive also wondered about this, if I try to deplete glycogen in the early morning workout by lifting and did 20-30 min cardio after. Would this be effective for cutting. Or would this be burning too much muscle tissue.

Sprint
09-22-10, 6:01 pm
First post guys, hope Im doin this right.

Ive often wondered this same question with my schedule. Ive heard cardio is appropriate on an empty stomach, but as for lifting Ive heard different.

Ive also wondered about this, if I try to deplete glycogen in the early morning workout by lifting and did 20-30 min cardio after. Would this be effective for cutting. Or would this be burning too much muscle tissue.

What're your goals & experience bro?

BarbellManiac
09-22-10, 6:45 pm
It's important, For me it's sleeping at 7:30-8:00 PM (dinner eaten right before I sleep) waking up at around 12:00-1:00 having a shake or just 2 glasses of milk with olive oil and a banana. Going back to sleep, waking up at 3:30, drinking water and training.

kryptiq
09-22-10, 6:52 pm
I know how you feel man sometimes I wake up at 7am for 8am workout, I feel these are by FAR my worst. I can easily do 2/3 more if I have a full meal or even a half assed meal with a protein shake before.

Devil
09-22-10, 7:20 pm
Make your breakfast meals before you go to bed that way when you get up bam it's ready to go and instead of making a shake and the coffee you're eatin your pre-made meal.

71bbo455
09-22-10, 8:25 pm
I used to train at 5 am and got up at 4. I would eat a package of instant oatmeal with a squeeze of honey and that was quick fuel for my workouts. Once done and showered then the real breakfast of eggs etc would take place.

The_Genius
09-22-10, 8:52 pm
Thanks for the input guys, Ill try an mix it up over the next few days, try a few different size meals in before training

Redbeard
09-22-10, 10:33 pm
I do it every day. My protein shake is about 550 cals. I wake up, piss, put my gym clothes on, mix my shake, drink it over about 20 minutes as I take the dog out and get my shit together, use the last gulps to down Stak or M-Stak (I cycle them), head out to the subway and hit the gym floor about 30 minutes later. Another shake after my workout and then my first solid meal an hour later. I'm not huge by any stretch but my lifts have been going up steady for the last 3-4 months as I've been doing this.

rmt0512
09-23-10, 12:53 am
Make your breakfast meals before you go to bed that way when you get up bam it's ready to go and instead of making a shake and the coffee you're eatin your pre-made meal.

Couldn't agree more. It's much less to worry about first thing in the morning if you know you have your meal already prepared.

jrh0341
09-23-10, 7:53 am
Couldn't agree more. It's much less to worry about first thing in the morning if you know you have your meal already prepared.

Dude oatmeal and protein shake. I've tossed this out 3 posts inthe last 5 minutes lol. I'm going to get flagged as a suspected quaker oats spokesman or something. Seriously though, it takes 30 seconds to mix a protein shake, and it takes 90 seconds to microwave a bowl of oats. Meal accomplished.

Unless you have the other problem (a lot of us do) that you just can't muster the appetite to get down a whole food meal first thing in the AM. That's a whole nother discussion, but if that's a problem, consider a full on meal replacement shake then. I used to do a shake preworkout and a shake postworkout. I don't prefer this, since that means your preworkout carb source is going to be simple carbs (malto/dextro or whichever your brand uses) but its better than nothing. (Assuming you are not on a cut. Then again during a serious cut, your nutrition is critical enough to just suck it up and set your alarm earlier.)

hjayss
09-23-10, 8:16 am
I think it all depends on what you are doing......The one thing that has helped me before hitting the iron is to eat before I work out if i am just doing cardio it taps in to my fat stores a little more so i would not eat before a cardio day, however you need that to replenish your muscles if you are doing a day of serious lifting or you lift for no purpose you grow from what you eat......

Sprint
09-23-10, 8:18 am
I think it all depends on what you are doing......The one thing that has helped me before hitting the iron is to eat before I work out if i am just doing cardio it taps in to my fat stores a little more so i would not eat before a cardio day, however you need that to replenish your muscles if you are doing a day of serious lifting or you lift for no purpose you grow from what you eat......

Most insightful post on this entire thread.