PDA

View Full Version : Curious about Hypertrophy

blaine
09-20-10, 5:16 pm
my buddies who I introduced HRT to want to try Hypertrophy Specific training.

is a method of training designed to quickly and effectively induce whole body muscular development. It is based on physiological principles of muscular hypertrophy. These principles were first discovered in the laboratory, and then organized into a method of training that would produce predictable and repeatable hypertrophic effects.

The article they gave me to read; http://hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

Personally I am always up for a challenge and trying new things.
What do you guys think?

Devil
09-20-10, 5:57 pm
This is just a low set total body workout? For people who do nothing of course it could be beneficial but I would think more sets would call for a more intense workout, try it and repost with results. I'm always down for new things.

SpankyC
09-20-10, 8:20 pm
All that is true, but id still mix it up every now and then so you wont get bored, but obviously stick with the basics every workout, presses,dips,chins,rows,deads,squats and so on. But everyworkout throw in a machine movement or pre exhaust, do drop sets, super sets, always have fun in the gym! And hit it hard with the basics and youl grow, no matter what!

blaine
09-20-10, 9:47 pm
I hit legs hard with their 2 set 15 rep just to gauge the intensity.

Extensions 2s 15r
Curls 2s 15r
Leg Press 2s 15r
Squats 2s 15r
Seated Calf Raises 2s 15r
Calf Extensions 2s 15r

It was legit.

Here is my experiment;

A day 2 sets 15 reps deadlifts, wide chins, squats, leg extensions, calf raises, incline press, dips, military press, side laterals, shrugs, close grip bench, reverse barbell curls, reverse forearm curls, high rep abs

Rest

B day 2 sets 15 reps deadlifts, wide grip pull ups, leg press, leg curls, calf extensions, flat bench, dips, military press, up right rows, shrugs, skullcrushers, dumbbell curls, forearm curls. high rep abs

Rest

C day 2 sets 15 reps deadlifts, narrow chins, squats, leg extensions, calf raises, if i can hit a decline bench if not incline press again, dips, military press, side laterals, shrugs, rope pull downs, hammer curls, weight on a rope forearms, high rep abs

Rest 2 days

the second week its the same thing, the third and fourth week of training will be 10 reps and the fifth and six will be 5 reps. The seventh and eight week incorporating HRT. Of course going up in weight each week or even each workout. After the eight week I will take either one or two weeks off. These sessions can be split up to two a days if necessary. I will do warm ups and maybe move the abs to the first thing i do on these training days. I will find my 15, 10, and 5 reps maxes before i start this eight week routine. I am required to run at work but on other days off light cardio won't hurt.

I think i hit the nail on the head here. Am I miss anything?

blaine
09-20-10, 10:04 pm
One thing to add is on the C day instead of side laterals, some rear delts.

blaine
09-21-10, 1:52 pm
deadlifts, squat, bench, military press are the only lifts necessary but i enjoy spending time in the gym and i think i can handle throwing in all those extras. if there are time constraints i will just do the basics i listed above

SpankyC
09-21-10, 2:35 pm
I think you may be overthinking things, here common sense, keep things basic

day 1 chest,triceps

incline barbell
flat barbell
flys

weighted dips
pushdowns
skullcrushers

day 2 quads, hams

squats
leg press
lunges

stiff deads
leg curls

day 3 rest

day 4 delts

seated press
upright row (side delts)
bent laterals

day 5 back,biceps

underhand pulldowns
bent rows
wide or close chins
deadlifts (rack)
shrugs

incline hammer curl
barbell curl

day 6, 7 rest

Done.

In Flames
09-21-10, 2:42 pm
RAGE’S MASS ROUTINE

Day 1 - Arms

Tricep pushdowns 2 x 10
Partial Dips weighted 2 x 10
Dumbell Tricep Ext 2 x 10
Incline Dumbell curls 2 x 10
Hammer Curls 2 x 10
Cable Curls 2 x 10
Abs

Day 2 – Quads, Hamstrings, Calves

Leg Extension-pre-exhaust 3 x 40/30/20
Leg Press 3 x 15
Squats 2 x 10
Lying Leg Curls 3 x 10
Standing Leg Curls 2 x 10

Day 3 – Chest and Shoulders

Barbell Press 2 x 10
Incline Dumbell Press 2 x 10
Smith Neck Press 2 x 10
Smith Military Press 2 x 10
Dumbell Shoulder Press 2 x 10
Side Laterals 2 x 10

Day 4 – Back, Traps, Rear Delts and Calves

T Bar Rows 2 x 10
Dumbbell Rows on Incline 2 x 10
Wide Grip Pull Downs 2 x 10
Bent Laterals 2 x 10
Barbell Shrugs-Heavier each set 3 x 20
Calf Extensions 3 x 15
Calf Raises 3 x 15

Focus on adding weight to these exercises and follow a good diet and you will grow and get strong. You can change exercises around every 6-8 weeks, but nothing major, still stick to the basics (Squats, Military, Row and Bench). Rest between sets anywhere from 60 seconds to 2 minutes. I like to get in do my business and get out of the gym fast so I stick to around 60-90 seconds MAX. I might do around 2-3 minutes for Squats though since they take a lot out of me. The routine might look simple on paper, but try busting your ass on those 2 sets and keep trying to add weight/and or reps each week. Once 10 reps are possible on both sets add weight next workout.

SpankyC
09-21-10, 3:23 pm
RAGE’S MASS ROUTINE

Day 1 - Arms

Tricep pushdowns 2 x 10
Hammer Curls 2 x 10
Cable Curls 2 x 10
Abs

Leg Press 3 x 15
Squats 2 x 10
Lying Leg Curls 3 x 10

Barbell Press 2 x 10
Smith Neck Press 2 x 10
Side Laterals 2 x 10

T Bar Rows 2 x 10
Bent Laterals 2 x 10
Calf Extensions 3 x 15
Calf Raises 3 x 15

Focus on adding weight to these exercises and follow a good diet and you will grow and get strong. You can change exercises around every 6-8 weeks, but nothing major, still stick to the basics (Squats, Military, Row and Bench). Rest between sets anywhere from 60 seconds to 2 minutes. I like to get in do my business and get out of the gym fast so I stick to around 60-90 seconds MAX. I might do around 2-3 minutes for Squats though since they take a lot out of me. The routine might look simple on paper, but try busting your ass on those 2 sets and keep trying to add weight/and or reps each week. Once 10 reps are possible on both sets add weight next workout.

that one is good solid plan too!

blaine
09-21-10, 9:10 pm
i tailored those lifts in the split above so it would be possible to do at my gym at work. it has limited equipment so i have to improvise.

thanks for the input but those are split routines i wanted input on:

Hypertrophy Specific Training where u just about do full body every training day. first and second week working around a 15 rep max then the third and fourth week working with or around a 10 rep max and then the fifth and sixth week just work with a 5 rep max. the seventh and eight week i want to do hrt before i heal up for two weeks.

Mauricio
09-22-10, 5:07 am
RAGE’S MASS ROUTINE

Day 1 - Arms

Tricep pushdowns 2 x 10
Hammer Curls 2 x 10
Cable Curls 2 x 10
Abs

Leg Press 3 x 15
Squats 2 x 10
Lying Leg Curls 3 x 10

Barbell Press 2 x 10
Smith Neck Press 2 x 10
Side Laterals 2 x 10

T Bar Rows 2 x 10
Bent Laterals 2 x 10
Calf Extensions 3 x 15
Calf Raises 3 x 15

why do all the exercises call for 10 reps? i don't think you'll be working at max intensity with that many reps per day. i also love how that hypertrophy training calls for 10 reps on pec decs but 6-8 on incline bench press. why not bust your ass with 6? so much contradiction.
"Now HST incorporates a few other things such as higher reps (for lactic acid) to prepare the muscles and tendons for future heavy loads." muscles don't respond to heavy loads, your nervous system does. in order to stimulate growth the load must be heavy all the time. so much for a good, sound routine.

blaine
09-22-10, 12:26 pm
yeah but thats on his split set routine. what about the hypertrophy routine i posted above... and the hypertrophy specific training concept?

In Flames
09-22-10, 1:08 pm
why do all the exercises call for 10 reps? i don't think you'll be working at max intensity with that many reps per day. i also love how that hypertrophy training calls for 10 reps on pec decs but 6-8 on incline bench press. why not bust your ass with 6? so much contradiction.
"Now HST incorporates a few other things such as higher reps (for lactic acid) to prepare the muscles and tendons for future heavy loads." muscles don't respond to heavy loads, your nervous system does. in order to stimulate growth the load must be heavy all the time. so much for a good, sound routine.

Rage suggests 10 reps. For size, he uses the 10-12 rep range sometimes even 12-15 reps. Why don't you ask the mass monster himself under "Ask the Animals". He has his own QA thread.

blaine
09-24-10, 2:43 pm
i guess some of the peeps just post to post...
and don't have any input on hypertrophy specific training

SpankyC
09-24-10, 3:08 pm

look its prolly a good plan, go ahead and do it, eat, rest and youl def grow from it, THERE IS NO PERFECT PLAN, theres a time and place for everything, do that plan for a few weeks then change it up! OUR POINT IS TO HAVE FUN AND DONT OVERTHINK YOUR TRAINING!

aslong as your going brutal on your presses ,squats, rows ,deads, your gonna grow....plain and simple

MRmichael.hooker
09-24-10, 3:12 pm

lol

machineman
09-24-10, 3:17 pm

So it works for Rage and has worked for other Anilmals that he has trained. Give it a shot and see how it works for you. See if you are giving max intensity on the last set of 10 reps. If not, you could try the cutting routine for awhile! Guarandamtee you the 50 rep leg presses will get your intensity going!!

Mauricio
09-25-10, 6:39 am
So it works for Rage and has worked for other Anilmals that he has trained. Give it a shot and see how it works for you. See if you are giving max intensity on the last set of 10 reps. If not, you could try the cutting routine for awhile! Guarandamtee you the 50 rep leg presses will get your intensity going!!

sorry bro, i'd rather give max intensity on every single rep. if i do it right i reach muscle failure before i even hit 10 reps, and can only 2 sets. i feel like throwing up after my 6th leg press, 50 sounds like i might be using my grandpa's wheelchair before my time. telling people how other big dudes achieve gains with a certain routine isn't really explaining the "why" but just skipping the question altogether.

machineman
09-25-10, 1:43 pm
sorry bro, i'd rather give max intensity on every single rep. if i do it right i reach muscle failure before i even hit 10 reps, and can only 2 sets. i feel like throwing up after my 6th leg press, 50 sounds like i might be using my grandpa's wheelchair before my time. telling people how other big dudes achieve gains with a certain routine isn't really explaining the "why" but just skipping the question altogether.

I told you the why. It works FOR HIM. I am not saying this routine and rep scheme will work for you. That is why people try various training types and routines to see what they respond best to. If someone has only trained a certain way, they don't know what does and doesn't work. That is all I am getting at. Not everyone responds to every routine the same way.

fenix237
09-28-10, 3:17 am
sorry bro, i'd rather give max intensity on every single rep

if this was the case, then you would be doing sets of 1