PDA

View Full Version : Gunning for a Strongman Pro-Card at Nationals 11/12/2010

Strachan
09-24-10, 3:26 pm
I’m 5 weeks into training for North American Strongman (NAS) Nationals. A package arrived at my house yesterday; 2 cans FLEX, 2 cans PAK, 2 cans STAK and 2 cans TEST. Animal Test Explosion Stack baby, it’s the shit that helped me f-close 1st place in Nor-Cal and get the invite to nationals.

I don’t who else is qualified, I don’t care who I‘m competing against. The weights are heavier, the runs are longer and there’s more on the line. For the winner of my class, an American Strongman Corporation (ASC) Pro-Card and a slot to compete at the Amateur Strongman at The Arnold. Fuck; lightweights ain’t that impressive, but you got to start somewhere, right?

My goal is simple; to be the biggest, meanest, baddest, ugliest mother fucker on the face on the planet under 105K. If I don’t take home a W, I want to be able to hold my head up knowing that I trained hard, prepped right and gave it my all. My Warrior Ethos demands no less of me.

machineman
09-24-10, 3:29 pm
good luck, bro! Along for the ride to see how this plays out...

Strachan
09-24-10, 3:38 pm
good luck, bro! Along for the ride to see how this plays out...

Welcome aboard the R Train Machine Man.

Next stop, American Iron in Reno, NV for some events training.

Strachan
09-26-10, 4:41 am
American Iron Gym, Reno, NV

Barbell Clean / Press 70K x4 90K x3 110K x2
Axle Bar Clean / Press 85K x3 105K x1 115K x2 115K x1 115K x1 115K x1 115K x1
Kegs (2) Carry 228xXLong 228xLong 228xLong 228xXLong
Sled Pull 450xLong 510xLong 630xLong 705xLong
Dead Lifts 445x3 445x3 445x3 495x3 545x1 585xFAIL 585xFAIL 535x1 535x1 535x1
Sand Ball Toss over Squat Rack 10,20,30,40,50,60,70 x's 2 sets

Thoughts
Good work on the Axle Bar today, my form can still use a lot of improvement - I don't continental clean the fuckin' thing, I Power Clean it because I don't have a fuckin' continental shelf to set it on - this was the greatest amount of times that I've locked 115K out overhead in one workout. The kegs are light at 228, but it's all I have to play with at American Iron, so I played with some different carrying techniques. I'm up to weight at the Sled Drag, now I need to work on foot speed and test the best way to use the arms. I'm disappointed that I didn't pull 585 today. For both attempts I got the bar to about knee height and then lost it. I can't pinpoint what went wrong, it just wasn't there today. Another interesting thing to note is that I trained in mt old wrestling shoes, may have helped in the Axle and Sled Drag, doubt they did anything for me in any other events.

I will pull 700 at some point in the future and I have a feeling that it may happen before Nationals, I'm not making it a goal but there's a good chance it will. For now I feel pretty good, nothing is too stiff or sore, my hands are tore up and I'm going to go work on my calluses before I go to bed. More Events tomorrow; Yoke, Tire, Stones at The Unit in Elk Grove, CA.

ANiMAl Products Used Today
Flex, PAK, M-Stak, Intra-Aid

Strachan
09-26-10, 9:44 pm
Back to back Events Training is brutal, I didn't sleep enough this weekend, probably didn't eat enough last night, my battle buddy showed up at the pad before I was showered or adequately for the voyage to The Unit. But, the hell with it, Nationals will be a two day show; after Yoke/Sand Bag Medley, Giant DB Clean & Press and Car Dead Lift, I get to wake up on day two for Axle Clean & Press, Keg Load / Sled Drag, Frame Carry and Atlas Stones.

The Unit, Elk Grove, CA

Stone Load from Hips 230, 285, 250, 285, 285, 250, 285, 250, 250, 285
Tire Flip HWx5, HWx5, LWx6, LWx6
Car Dead Apparatus 1Tire x3 1Tire x3 2Tires x1 2Tires x1 2Tires x1
Stones from Ground 300x1 330x1
Yoke 495xLong 495xLong 595xLong 595xLong

Thoughts
My grip was pretty damn shot after all the Axle and Dead work yesterday so I decided to work on technique is events that I didn't train yesterday. Two weeks ago I loaded the 300 3 times and couldn't budge the 330, last week I lapped both the 300 and 330 a few times but couldn't load either. Today I focused on the hip-pop and load portion of the lift for 10 reps and then did Tire Flips and played with the Car Dead Lift.

The Car Dead Apparatus is going to take some getting used to, it feels like more of a Leg Press than it does a Dead Lift motion. Had I not done Deads yesterday I may have put some impressive numbers up. It wasn't on the menu, but I wanted a little face time with it.

When I got back to stones my forearms were red and raw, I wrapped a little bit of athletic tape around the developing boil on my right forearm, chalked up the hands and left forearm and attacked the bigger ones. I loaded both the 300 and 330 for one rep, ripped the tape off and I was done. I didn't go super heavy in the Yoke but my last 'run' was a nice Long one. No Yoke drops today, all and all; a successful events weekend.

Flex, PAK, M-Stak, Intra-Aid[/QUOTE]

Brick By Brick
09-26-10, 9:57 pm
Subbed! Training looks good. See ya at Nats, I am competing in the women's HW class.

Strachan
09-26-10, 11:44 pm
Subbed! Training looks good. See ya at Nats, I am competing in the women's HW class.

Thanks for the subb. This will be my first Nationals so if you got any tips for me, I'm all ears. I train about 2 miles from the Grand Sierra Resort (American Iron) if you need to know anything about the area, let me know.

How's your training going?

Brick By Brick
09-27-10, 12:12 am
Thanks for the subb. This will be my first Nationals so if you got any tips for me, I'm all ears. I train about 2 miles from the Grand Sierra Resort (American Iron) if you need to know anything about the area, let me know.

How's your training going?

This is my first Nationals as well. I can only pass along the advice I've received - train hard, train smart, keep your diet on track, and do your best. And have fun!

Strachan
09-27-10, 8:45 pm
This is my first Nationals as well. I can only pass along the advice I've received - train hard, train smart, keep your diet on track, and do your best. And have fun!

I'll save the fun for the craps table the night of the 13th ;)

6 the hard way pays 9 to 1 !

machineman
09-27-10, 8:55 pm
training looks intense! you will definitely do some damage at nats!!

Strachan
09-27-10, 9:16 pm
training looks intense! you will definitely do some damage at nats!!

It was a pretty good weekend. I trained 6 of the 9 disciplines that I'll see at Nationals. I ordered one of the Mega Bells form SlaterHardware, that should show up soon and I'll have at least 5 weeks to learn on it before Nats.

Do you compete? Will you be there?

machineman
09-27-10, 9:17 pm
It was a pretty good weekend. I trained 6 of the 9 disciplines that I'll see at Nationals. I ordered one of the Mega Bells form SlaterHardware, that should show up soon and I'll have at least 5 weeks to learn on it before Nats.

Do you compete? Will you be there?

I haven't done anything in strongman. I am trying to get a meet (powerlifting) set up right now, but the whole thing of money (lack thereof)is getting in the way. I love to watch the strongman stuff.

Strachan
09-27-10, 9:21 pm
I haven't done anything in strongman. I am trying to get a meet (powerlifting) set up right now, but the whole thing of money (lack thereof)is getting in the way. I love to watch the strongman stuff.

Strongman's brutal, but a lot of fun. That gym, American Iron, has a lot of heavy power lifters there, big, strong boys throwing weight around like it's nothing. It's very inspiring to watch. Well, I don't need to tell you if you're from OH.

Strachan
09-29-10, 6:18 pm
North Side Fitness , Yuba City, CA

Lunges 24 24
Leg Extension 70x20 70x20 70x20
ss/ Iso Leg Curl 25x12 25x12 25x12
Squats 140K x3 140K x3 150K x 3 150K x 3 150K x 3 160K x 3 160K x 3 160K x 3 160K x 3 160K x 3
Hang Clean 70K x5 80K x5 80K x5 80K x5 80K x5
Calves 270x75
HIIT

Thoughts
Again I brought the stopwatch to the gym to time rest periods; 30-60 seconds. This became especially important during squats and turned it into a conditioning workout. My form was good, I feel like I was going deeper with 160K that I was with 140K. I was thinking about bumping up to 170K but it didn’t happen today.

I’ve never worked Hang Cleans before and asked one of the Oly guys in the gym to spot my form. I’m not interested in Oly lifting other that I believe it will help me in the Axle Clean / Press. I finished up with 22 Mins of HIIT on the Arc Trainer and I was dripping with sweat at 5 Mins in. Not a bad workout.

Flex, PAK, M-Stak, Intra-Aid

HIGA MONSTER
09-29-10, 6:27 pm
I’m 5 weeks into training for North American Strongman (NAS) Nationals. A package arrived at my house yesterday; 2 cans FLEX, 2 cans PAK, 2 cans STAK and 2 cans TEST. Animal Test Explosion Stack baby, it’s the shit that helped me f-close 1st place in Nor-Cal and get the invite to nationals.

I don’t who else is qualified, I don’t care who I‘m competing against. The weights are heavier, the runs are longer and there’s more on the line. For the winner of my class, an American Strongman Corporation (ASC) Pro-Card and a slot to compete at the Amateur Strongman at The Arnold. Fuck; lightweights ain’t that impressive, but you got to start somewhere, right?

My goal is simple; to be the biggest, meanest, baddest, ugliest mother fucker on the face on the planet under 105K. If I don’t take home a W, I want to be able to hold my head up knowing that I trained hard, prepped right and gave it my all. My Warrior Ethos demands no less of me.

This is going to be a good one to watch...

My friend Zack Nims will be competing in your class. He was 1 point away from winning his Pro Card in the 231 lb class at Nationals last year.

And he is HUNGRY just like you. I'm gonna love watching you guys battle. Best of luck!
HIGA MONSTER

Strachan
09-29-10, 7:25 pm
This is going to be a good one to watch...

My friend Zack Nims will be competing in your class. He was 1 point away from winning his Pro Card in the 231 lb class at Nationals last year.

And he is HUNGRY just like you. I'm gonna love watching you guys battle. Best of luck!
HIGA MONSTER

Thanks a lot HIGA, my first NAS comp was a blast and I like the event list at Nationals this year. I don't know if you've been to the Grand Sierra Resort before but it's a great place, lots of tables and a decent buffet on-site.

I'm heading to San Diego on Friday for the So-Cal Strength Challenge, I’m doing HWT, it’s a Silver comp and there’s going to be some big heavies there but some of the weights are lighter than my class for NATs. I need to get some face time with the Car Dead Lift and Stones.

I'm all ears for any suggestions you might have.

Shukin
09-29-10, 7:51 pm
my first NAS comp was a blast and I like the event list at Nationals this year. I don't know if you've been to the Grand Sierra Resort before but it's a great place, lots of tables and a decent buffet on-site.

Great work out posts with comments, well done, like your style gonna adopt it if you don't mind, real journal style.

Just a quick question, are you going to win your card in the contest or at the craps table?

Shukin

Strachan
09-30-10, 12:31 pm
Great work out posts with comments, well done, like your style gonna adopt it if you don't mind, real journal style.

Just a quick question, are you going to win your card in the contest or at the craps table?

Shukin

By all means, I try to boil it down to things that I'd enjoy reading.

Hopefully both, and I think it could be debated either way as far as which would be harder to ‘letter’ in goes.

Drop by any time.

Shukin
09-30-10, 7:43 pm
By all means, I try to boil it down to things that I'd enjoy reading.

Drop by any time.
Will do, Good Luck man... Do your best possible on that day, bet a hard 6 for me...lol...

Respect,
Shukin

Strachan
10-01-10, 3:15 am
Will do, Good Luck man... Do your best possible on that day, bet a hard 6 for me...lol...

Respect,
Shukin

Got you it!

Strachan
10-01-10, 3:26 am
I've been in the gym and on the track a few times during the week, but there's nothing worth posting about.

It's 12:06 AM, I'm going to sleep for a few hours and then head down to San Diego, CA for the So-Cal Strength Challenge. It's a Silver level NAS show and I'll be competing as a Heavyweight. I'm currently 245 which isn't terribly above the 231 I'll need to be for Nationals.

Am I ready for my first NAS Heavyweight comp? In a word; 'no'. If I were truly going to compete as a heavy I'd want to weigh at least 262, if not 275. But, I am ready for the heavy weights at the show.

Saturday's Events List:
240 Axle Clean / Press for Reps
Car Dead Lift for Reps
Yoke (700) / Keg (250) Medley
700 Tire Flip
240, 275, 295, 315, 340 Stones to Platform

Most of theses weights are right under what they are rate at for Nats. I'm really going down for the experience and to get some face time with the car dead and the stones. This will give me a good feel of what I need to focus on for the last 6 weeks before Nationals.

As far as goals for Saturday, I want 5 reps in the clean press, 5 reps in the car dead, finish the Yoke / Keg with no drops, finish the tire flip without getting too winded and loading all 5 stones before the whistle.

Do I want to place well? Absolutely! Am I going to be crushed and unmotivated if I get my lunch fed to me by some of the monsters that I'm betting will be there? Absolutely not!

Write up will be posted when I get back.

Shukin
10-01-10, 6:00 am
Unleash Hell my friend!

Respect,
Shukin

Strachan
10-04-10, 8:34 pm
The drive down to San Diego from Beale AFB was long. My wingman; NAS Masters Lightweight, Gary Montoya and were on the road by 9AM, we hit Los Angeles County around 3:30 and finally made it to Donnie Rhodes's Strength Asylum Gym around 6:45 in the afternoon. My knees were killing me the entire drive, I'm very glad I decided o go as a heavyweight because I can't imagine having to worry about coming in below 231.5 after all damn day on the road.

After getting familiar with the gym and some of the gear, we checked into the hotel, got some grub and crashed. I woke up at 4:45AM, I couldn't get back to sleep so I laid there thinking about the events to come.

I didn't get on the scale but my body weight was about 245, two were two other Open Heavies there weighing 265 and somewhere over 300. What I like about strongman is the way events are scored, especially with a comp of this size, it's anyone's win, right up to the last event; stones.

Events:

240 Axle Clean / Press for Reps

This was my first time working with the axle on tires, I train with the bumpers all the time but the axle added another dimension to the lift, having to follow the damn thing down to the ground and not catch it in the face. I pressed 6 good reps, so did both the other heavies.

Car Dead Lift for Reps

Car Dead lift was another first for me, I’ve work on a few with tires loaded on it, one was a little more narrow grip than this and the other a little higher of a pick. After adjusting the handles, Donnie kicked his shoes off, set an industrial scale under his feet and pulled the car up. The way that Donnie Rhodes set it read between 725-750. The lighter of the two other guys went before me. It was a new events for him as well and he got one good rep I went second. I was looking at the other heavyweight and in my mind, he was going to get 20 reps. I ended up pulling it for a solid 10, I was ready to unstrap when I heard, ’15 seconds left’ and I managed another 2 reps. Big boy pull 4 or 5 reps, he said he knew that he wasn’t going to pull more than 12 so he was happy. If I would have known this, I only would have pulled 6 or 7, this event fucked my back up and quickly changed the tone of the contest for me

Yoke (700) / Sand Bag (250) Medley

My back was really tight at this point. Donnie and wife Kristin kept the events running smoothly and I didn't have much time before the medley but I did what I could to try to stretch it out. I had my doubts about this event, the 265pounder said he wasn’t good at the Yoke and made it about half the course, as the current leader I wanted to make it past his mark. If I can just managed to stand up with 700 pounds, I’ll finish the 60’ I’ve watched the tape a few times since the comp, I pathetically limp along with 700 strapped across my back, gingerly remove my belt, grab the sand bag run it back it about 41 seconds. Big Boy finishes the course to 29 something and we’re tied for first in the cumulative standing.

700 Tire Flip

If there’s an event that I’m particularly good at, it’s the tire flip. I noticed most of the guys were following the tire down to get into position for the second flip but I’m more of a power-slam tire flipper. I got to flip third, Big Boy graciously went second as I went second in the Yoke (order went by Yoke Height, not standing). It was a very tight race in the tires and the 265 pounder was a damn fine tire flipper, I edged him out of first by something like 4/10th of a second. Going into the stones I had 10 points and Big Boy had 8, thankfully I got to go last.

240, 275, 295, 315, 340 Stones to Platform

265 loaded the 315 stone but ran out of time on the 340, Big Boy loaded the 340 in something like 42 seconds. I wrapped my forearm up (I still have open wounds from stone practice) and got a little bit of Tacky. I grabbed the first stone too far back and it rolled out of my hands about 1/2 up to the platform. It was my only mistake in the stones, I recovered and loaded the set in under 33 seconds, securing the win.

It’s two days later: I strained my back pretty fucking hard in the Car Dead Lift and sitting for any amount of time makes my back seize up, I’ll be out for the week for sure. But, on the other hand, the trophy was a big fucking sword that’s in my trunk right now. I got a good feel for where I’m at and what I need to work on for Nationals.

I also have a decision to make, to go as a Lightweight or a Heavyweight as I am now dually qualified.

Shukin
10-04-10, 9:52 pm
So does that mean you got the pro card?
Well done man, great recap of the event.

Respect,
Shukin

Brick By Brick
10-04-10, 10:17 pm
Congrats on your win! Hope your back feels better soon. See ya in Reno.

Strachan
10-04-10, 11:04 pm
So does that mean you got the pro card?
Well done man, great recap of the event.

Respect,
Shukin

No, no. This was a North American Strongman sanctioned event at the Silver Level. It was a good show and the other Heavies has a bit of experience.

The shot at the Pro Card will be on 11/12/2010 in Reno, first in the parking lot, and then at the craps table. Hard 6 all the way!

Congrats on your win! Hope your back feels better soon. See ya in Reno.

Thank you, me too.

I can definitely feel that I did battle last Saturday

Shukin
10-04-10, 11:24 pm
No, no. This was a North American Strongman sanctioned event at the Silver Level. It was a good show and the other Heavies has a bit of experience.

The shot at the Pro Card will be on 11/12/2010 in Reno, first in the parking lot, and then at the craps table. Hard 6 all the way!

Recover well and keep us posted, again congrats,

Respect,
Shukin

HIGA MONSTER
10-04-10, 11:30 pm
Great job man. You can't control what happend in the Car Dead, so beat yourself up on it.

Don't let a bigger guy fool you that he will "pull" more than you, or in any other event. Just stay consistent. Winning one event doesn't mean anything when the overall is based on cumulative scoring.

Good job again!
HIGA

Strachan
10-04-10, 11:52 pm
Recover well and keep us posted, again congrats,

Respect,
Shukin

I will. Yesterday I went for a massage. The gym also had a hot tub and ice plunge side by side. I went back and forth between the two a few times trying to flush blood and fluids though the veins and cells. I felt better today but still stiff after sitting or driving.

Great job man. You can't control what happend in the Car Dead, so beat yourself up on it.

Don't let a bigger guy fool you that he will "pull" more than you, or in any other event. Just stay consistent. Winning one event doesn't mean anything when the overall is based on cumulative scoring.

Good job again!
HIGA

Thanks Higa. At the end of the day, I'm glad that I went all out. I got the face time with some of the events I was looking for, met some great athletes and brought home some nice hardware. Now just a little R&R and hopefully I'll be back soon.

Strachan
10-10-10, 12:53 am
I'm not proud to say that with the exception of some stretching and massage I haven't been very active since last Saturday. I saw the doctor on Tuesday, mostly to get diagnosed; he said I have a back spasm and gave me some muscle relaxers, I've been taking one a night. His recommendation was, of course, rest/relaxation and no lifting. Last Sunday, day after the comp, when I got out of bed my first thought was, 'my back is fucked, there's no way I'll be able to compete in Nationals.' After a week of backing off, I'm feeling better, Nationals is back in the picture. For the most part it's only a leaning motion that causes discomfort, and when I sit for a little while it takes a second to two to feel normal again.

There's no sharp pain and all and all I'd say that I am less beat up than after 4th of July. No problems with my hands, wrists, grip and save some tire dust the day of, there's no evidence of the tire flips I did.

Tomorrow I'm going to go to The Unit for a technical Events workout, probably light moving events like Tire, Yoke, Sand Bags, Sled, Kegs and Maybe some Stones. Cleans and Dead will be out of the question tomorrow. Monday I'll be seeing my chiropractor, and if all is well Tuesday, I'll start easing back into the routine again.

I've asked myself once or twice if going to So-Cal and competing in the heavies was a bad idea. My answer is an unequivocal; "No." Athletes compete, I went all out, no regrets.

Shukin
10-10-10, 7:25 am
unequivocal; "No." Athletes compete, I went all out, no regrets.
You did good my friend, Just heal and continue to grow!

much respect,
Shukin

Strachan
10-12-10, 11:36 pm
The Unit, Elk Grove, CA

Today was one of the most humbling days of me life. I had gone to The Unit with a few guys I met at the Red Bluff show to train events. Saturday morning I went for a massage and to use the hot tub and ice plunge, I stretched later that night and again on Sunday morning. I took adequate time to warm up, flipped a LWT rated tire five times and felt every fuckin' flip pull on my back spasm. With that, I was done.

I spent the rest of the session watching the rest of the crew train, I can't remember a time that I've been as embarrassed as I was today, I felt like going home and falling on the sword I won in San Diego.

_ _ _ _ _ BREAK _ _ _ _ _

The entry from for Nationals has to be post marked by the 18th of this month; next Monday. I saw a chiropractor yesterday you put me back in line and gave me the words no man likes to hear; "More time off and more rest, that's the only thing that will help you out at this point."

Strachan
10-12-10, 11:38 pm
You did good my friend, Just heal and continue to grow!

much respect,
Shukin

I'm trying to be patient but it's tough to sit on the fence.

IRBS
10-19-10, 1:33 pm
Good stuff man, good luck at Nats

Strachan
10-19-10, 1:44 pm
Going into the gym after 12 long, miserable days of rest the goal was simple; test a few muscles out and not re-injure myself.

Oct 15, 2010: Gym Workout - American Iron Gym, Reno, NV

Squats 225x6 225x6 225x6 225x6
1 Hand DB Press 100x3/3 110x3/3 120x3/3 130xFAIL each hand
Deficit Deads 225x5 225x5 315x5 315x5
Seated Press Behind Neck 135x6 135x6 135x6 135x6 135x6
Dip Shrugs 8 8 8

Oct 16, 2010: Gym Workout - American Iron Gym, Reno, NV

Tire Flip LWTx5 LWTx5
Hang Cleans 50K x3 50K x3 50K x3
BB Cleans 80K x3 90K x3 100K x3 110K x3 120K x1 120K x2 90K x3 90K x3
Sled Pull 450xLong 450xLong 450xLong 450xLong
T-Bar Shrugs 90x12 90x12
ss w/ Pullovers 30x12 30x12
Leg Press 10x7 12x7 14x7 16x7 18x7
Viking Press 90x5 135x5 180x5 225x5 270x5
Incline Bench 185x8 205x8 225x8 250x5 250x3
Seated DB Press 50x8 50x8 50x8

Oct 17, 2010: Events Training - West Coast Unit, Elk Grove, CA

Yoke 275xLong 275xLong 475xLong 495xLong 605xLong (1 Drop) 645xLong 645xLong
Stones 280x1 285x1 300xLap 280 form Keg to Loadx3 330xLap 365xFAIL

Weekend Roll-Up
I may have been pussying around too much with some of the lifts Friday night, namely Squats and Deficit Deads, but in other things I felt my performance was on. I entered new territory in 1 hand DB presses and Barbell Cleans. I failed to lock the 130 out overhead on Friday night, that’s where the Viking Press work and Incline Bench came in Saturday. The Pull Work burned like hell in my lungs it’s apparent to me that I haven’t done much HIIT in the 12 days of recovery, that’s going to have to come back over the next few weeks.

Events day was a little fucked up. Somewhere between the place we grabbed breakfast, The Unit and dropping the truck off to get washed I lost my fucking wallet. It’s gone, I’ll never see it again. So, I was ‘off’ for the session. I wasn’t going to go above 500 on the Yoke, but it was raining and fuck, it felt right. I think the two runs I did with 645 felt a lot better than I thought it would, I need to work on yoke speed. I didn’t have any hip drive on pop on stones, I’m about 80% with my back.

The only thing the weekend left to be desired was Kegs, Sand Bag and Heavy Deads, I skipped them for obvious reasons, hopefully with some more rest/recovery time I’ll be back on track.

Strachan
10-22-10, 2:00 pm
October 19, 2010: Garage Gym Workout - The Stronghold

Sand Bag Rows 204x3 204x3 204x3 204x3 204x3 204x3 204x3 204x3 204x3 204x3
Pull-Downs 150x12 160x12 170x12 180x12 190x12
Unilateral Dumbbell Rows 125x5 130x5 140x5 150x5
Log Curls 115x15 125x10 125x10 115x15
Dumbbell Curls 50x5 55x5 55x5 55x5 55x5
Concentration Curls 30x12 35x12 40x12

October 20, 2010: Gym Workout - Harris Fitness Center, Beale AFB, CA

Concept II Rower 2 sets 500 meters
Dynamic Tri-Sets
* Body Weight Squats (15) Med-Ball Push-Ups (12) V Sit-Ups (10) x's 3 sets
* Squat Jacks (10) Tripod Push-Ups (12) Flutter Kicks (30sec) x's 3 sets
* Mountain Climbers (15) Side Triceps Rise (10) Crunchy Frog (15) x's 3 sets
Hammer Strength Deadlift 360x3 450x3 540x3 540x3 540x3 540x3 630x3(top grip) 630x3 720x3(top grip) 720x3
Seated Calves Extensions 190x20 190x20 175x20 175x20 175x20

October 21, 2010: Gym Workout - North Side Fitness, Yuba City, CA

Recumbent Bike 15 Mins
Smith Machine Upright Rows 205x3 205x3 205x3 205x3 205x3 205x3 205x3 205x3 205x3 205x3
1 Hand DB Clean / Press 100x3/3
Barbell Push-Press 100K x3 100K x3 100K x3 100K x3 100K x3 100K x3
1 Hand DB Clean / Press 100x3/3
Close Grip Dumbbell Press 90x2 95x2 100x2 105x1 110xFAIL
Cable Press-Down 85x15 100x12 115x8 130x6 130x6
Narrow Bench 185x5 185x5 185x5 135x10
Arc Trainer 18 Mins

Week Roll-Up
After three days of supportive workouts I’m feeling good about Nationals again. One highlight this week weret the Hammer Strength Dead Lift ending with 16 plates of 3 consecutive singles. I know it’s not a substitute for the Car Dead Lift but, I’m doing what I can and walked away without injuring myself. Fuck it. Another highlight was my push-press work, 100K’s for 6 sets of 3 is good for me. I wanted 10 sets but I failed to warm-up properly and my wrists were killing me after 5 sets, I knocked one more set out and called it good. I haven’t starched as much as I know I should be over the past few days but I have ben using and electro-stimulation device on my spasm and it hasn’t been giving me much pain. Bottom line, I’m almost back to where I was going into San Diego and I didn’t reinjure myself yet.

Weekend schedule:
* Fri – Events training & Gym Work, Tehama Family Fitness Center, Red Bluff, CA
* Sat – Clean & Press Work, North Side Fitness, Yuba City, CA
* Sun – Events training @ West Coast Unit, Elk Grove, CA

Brick By Brick
10-22-10, 2:05 pm
Wow, your training so far looks great! Congrats on your DL and Push Press numbers, that kind of weight is no joke. Glad to hear you're feeling better, also. Have a great weekend!

wedge
10-22-10, 2:30 pm
In for this one. I've recently started doing strongman (LW), mostly YMCA shows and likely my national comp in Dec. I have the feeling I can learn a lot in here.

Strachan
10-22-10, 2:46 pm
Good stuff man, good luck at Nats

Thanks!

Wow, your training so far looks great! Congrats on your DL and Push Press numbers, that kind of weight is no joke. Glad to hear you're feeling better, also. Have a great weekend!

Thanks! Brick. I'm going to try to try with all my implements above events weight this weekend to see how it goes. Will you be staying the the Grand Sierra Resort?

In for this one. I've recently started doing strongman (LW), mostly YMCA shows and likely my national comp in Dec. I have the feeling I can learn a lot in here.

Thanks Wedge and welcome. This is my rookie year in sanctioned shows and I'v been having a blast. What org is hosting the comp in December?

Brick By Brick
10-22-10, 9:35 pm
Best of luck this weekend with your training - show the implements who's boss! I will be staying at the Grand Sierra Resort from 11/11 to 11/14.

Strachan
10-25-10, 3:29 pm
Best of luck this weekend with your training - show the implements who's boss! I will be staying at the Grand Sierra Resort from 11/11 to 11/14.

Nice! I hope you got a good rate at the hotel.

Strachan
10-26-10, 4:54 pm
October 22, 2010: Events / Gym Workout - Tehama Family Fitness Center, Red Bluff, CA

Concept II Rower 4 minutes
Frame Carry 200xLong 200xLong 380xShort 380xShort 560xShort (4 Picks) 580xShort 600xPick 380xShort 380XShort
Axle Holds 305x:10 305x:10 305x:10 305x:10 305x:10
Karlsen Squats 270x8 320x8 360x8 410x8 450x8 Elliptical 10 minutes

October 23, 2010: Gym Workout - North Side Fitness, Yuba City, CA

15 Minutes Bike
Axle Bar Hang Cleans 64K x3 64K x3
Axle Bar Clean / Press 84K x3 104K x3 114K x3 Axle Bar Clean 114K x2 114K x2 124K xFail 124K xFail
1 Arm Dumbbell Clean/Press 120x4 120x2/2 120x3/3 120x6 10 Minutes Arc Trainer

October 24, 2010: Events Training - West Coast Unit, Elk Grove, CA

Yoke 475xShort 475xShort 575xLong 625xLong 675xLong 725xLong (2 picks)
Stones 204x3 280x1 300x1 330x2(Lap)/1(Load) 365x3(Lap)
Hyundai Accent Dead Lift 5 5 5 5 12

Assessment
This was a Viking training weekend. All of the moving events I did, and the Car Dead, were out in the rain. All and all, a damn good three days of events. I sort of fucked myself with the Frame Carry. I swear to God, I thought I had 600 system weight for my 5th carry but when I slammed the frame down and recovered I realized that I had 100 on each of the front pillars and 90 on each of the rear pillars. I threw another 5K plat on each of the rear pillars and picked it up, walked a few steps and dropped it, I was shot. My Axle Clean/Press work was the best to date and I’m getting some practice in on the 1 hand Dumbbell Press. I talked to Steve Slater and the Giant Dumbbell is en route. Stone went well. I didn’t expect to get the 365 lapped 3 times, I rolled it up to the standing position 3 times but I didn’t have the hips to load it. At this point I need to get more focused on the cardio and drop more weight.

Strachan
11-03-10, 6:09 pm
October 26, 2010: Gym Workout - The Stronghold of Strength

Sand Bag Load to 54" Platform 204x3 204x3 204x3 204x3 204x3
Pull-Ups 3 3 3 3 3
Axle Upright Rows 125x8 135x8 145x8 155x8 165x8
Jump Rope (Skips) 50 50 50 50 30
Simulated Keg Picks 125K x4 125K x4 125K x4 125K x4 125K x4
T-Bar Shrugs 90x10 90x10 90x10 90x10 90x10

October 27, 2010: Gym Workout - Harris Fitness Center, Beale AFB, CA

Barbell Curls 115x15 125x12 145x8 165x6 185x4
Dumbbell Curls 60x6 70x6 65x6 70x6 70x6
Concentration Curls 35x10 40x10
Cable Rope Curls 100x10 100x10
* 40 Minutes Functional Training
Axle Push-Press 94K x3 94K x3 94K x3 94K x3 104K x3 104K x3 104K x3 104K x3 114K xFAIL 114K x1 114x FAIL
18 Minutes Arc Trainer HIIT

October 28, 2010: Events Support Training - West Coast Unit, Elk Grove, CA

Tire Flip LWTx3 LWTx3 LWTx3 LWTx3 LWTx3
Yoke 475xLong 525xLong 575xLong 575xLong 625xLong
Yoke Pick Practice 625 Pick & 10 Feet x 5 Picks
Stones 204x5 250x5
Stones from Keg to Platform 300x2 300x2 330x1 330x1
Keg Relay 275xLong/250xLong x's 2

Assessment
There were some highs and lows over these three days. When I left the gym with only 1good push-press at 114K chalked up, I was ready to spit the bit and quit. The next night’s Event Support Workout was exactly what I need for a lot of reasons; 1. I did excellent yoke work. 2, I had missed 330stone the previous events day workout and it was good to load it twice from the keg to platform. 3, I finally found a place where I belong. I’ve been the honorary guest when training with this crew out of the storage until for the past three months, today the guy who holds the key had no reservations about lending me the key and letting me attack the weights by myself. I feel like a regular member of Team Big Sac,

Strachan
11-03-10, 6:18 pm
October 29, 2010: Events Workout - Tehama Family Fitness Center, Red Bluff, CA

Frame Carry 380xLong 380XLong 560xLong 600xLong 420xLong 420xLong
Karlsen Squats 360x8 410x8 450x8 500x8 540x8
Leg Press 14x12 16x12 18x12 20x12

October 30, 2010: Events Workout - American Iron Gym, Reno, NV

Axle Clean/Press 84k x 3/1 94k x 3/3 94k x 2/2 104k x 2/2 104k x 2/2 114k x 4/4
Axle Clean for Blocks 124k x1
Giant Dumbbell Clean Press – A lot of cleans and attempt presses, total of 4 good presses with left hand, zero good presses with the right hand
Viking Presses 180x5 230x5 270x5 300x5 320x3
Sled Drag 660xLong 660xLong

October 31, 2010: Events Training - West Coast Unit, Elk Grove, CA

Yoke Walk 425xShrt 425xShrt 575xShrt 575xShrt 705xLong
Stones 204x3 280x1 300x1 330x1 365xLap (x’s 2)
Hyundai Car Dead Lift 1 1 1

Assessment
I walked away from the weekend with some good indicators for Nationals. This was my first time actually working with the MegaBell. I only had it loaded to 127lbs and this will be my worst event at Nationals. I am feeling good about the moving events.

After 6 days of consecutive training, I’m fucking wrecked. I’m slightly overweight, I’m going to take a few days off of training, I’ll clean the diet up and hopefully I’ll be able to hold my head high when the bloodbath is over and done with.

Shukin
11-06-10, 6:30 pm
Looking good bro!

Keep us posted.
Respect,
Shukin

HIGA MONSTER
11-17-10, 1:10 am
Hey man, how did you place in Reno? Hope you are injury free.

HIGA

Strachan
03-12-11, 11:17 pm
Hey man, how did you place in Reno? Hope you are injury free.

HIGA

Higa,

It's been a while since I logged in. I have been injury free since Nationals, I made a few mistakes and I embarrassed myself there;

1, I should have competed in Donnie Rhodes's show in Oct, I ended up with a back spasm that sideline me for two weeks. When I recovered and started training again, I was 5 weeks from Nats.
2. I didn't start to cut for weigh-ins until way too damn late. A week out I was 245 and that Thursday of weigh-ins I woke up at 240 at 8AM, by 6PM I cut to 230.5 to make weight. This was very unhealthy, I did it through the sauna, spitting in a bottle and doing cardio in a garbage bag. This took a heavy toll and I was far from being 'on' at Nationals

Day 1:
- Yoke/SandBag: I dropped the Yoke, re-picked, finished the course with the sand bag relay: 29.02
- MegaBell: I zeroed. I just it just shy of lockout about 7 times, this was embarrassing
- Car Deads: 12 reps. I was being conservation because this was how I hurt my back in San Diego and I knew I wasn't a contender at this point

Day 2: Feeling a lot better and body weight rebounded to 252lbs
- Axle Clean/Press: 7 reps. I was happy with this because I cleaned each rep and thie was strong than my previous 240 for 6
- Kegs/Sled: 41.94 seconds here, I didn't make any mistakes, just could have been faster
- Frame: 10.22, slow on the pick, could have moved faster
- Stones: I loaded the first two and pulled the 330 into my chest about 3 times, 54" inches was too high for that day and the hip pop wasn't there

It was a humbling experience and I learned a lot of lessons at my first Nationals. I've already taken some corrective actions. I rested for a week and I've been back on the warpath since November 21, 2010.

My goals for 2011:
- Compete in 8-10 sanctioned show
- Correct my weaknesses in overhead events
- Pull 700+ at a show
- Maintain bodyweight below 240 pounds and be 235 two weeks out from a contest
- Place top 5 at Nationals 2011

If I thought I was hungry for Nats 2010, I was wrong, I didn't know what hungry was until I walked away from the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno with blood dripping from my mouth.

If possible, could one of the mods please lock this thread.