PDA

View Full Version : Abs before or after cardio?

MRmichael.hooker
09-26-10, 3:43 pm
Does it matter? I've heard that doing abs first because it gets everything in the stomach moving and your fat burn is already ramped up from the workout, and ive also heard that doing abs first could put your core at risk during cardio. So, just looking for advice. Thanks bros!

BarbellManiac
09-26-10, 4:58 pm
To be honest, half the things you (as in general people) hear aren't true. It doesn't matter do em one way or the other, but personally I would do cardio first to warm up the body first and then hit abs.

SpankyC
09-26-10, 7:02 pm
People still train abs? lol

Mauricio
09-26-10, 8:10 pm
People still train abs? lol
pretty much this. if you're eager to train your abs just do it after your leg workout, your core will be at is maximum "warmed up" state and safest state to train. don't forget to do hyperextensions after your back workout too, hit both sides of your core once a week and you should be fine.

jrh0341
09-26-10, 9:11 pm
pretty much this. if you're eager to train your abs just do it after your leg workout, your core will be at is maximum "warmed up" state and safest state to train. don't forget to do hyperextensions after your back workout too, hit both sides of your core once a week and you should be fine.

For what its worth, (and I'd guess the difference is probably minimal) you might want to train abs BEFORE cardio. Everybody has their own logic, but this is just one more theory.

Spot reduction. Remember that? Remember how everybody told you it was impossible? Apparently, mayyyyybe not. No, you can't do crunches to melt fat off your abs BUT,

a few white lab coated science types are starting to find evidence that training a certain area immediately before cardio can actually mobilize the fat in that area and make you burn it slightly prferentally.

Basically, say you were to hit abs for 20 minutes, then do your cardio, it theoretically might cause you to burn a higher percentage of fat from the midsection.

Again, at this point this is still single source, so this shit is just THEORY.

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/00215.2006v1

never_2_big
09-26-10, 10:41 pm
I dont think it really matters... Personally if I train another bodypart on a particular day I'll train abs after that part but before my cardio, however if im only doing abs and cardio I'll do the cardio first and finish with the abs as well as a good 20 minute stretch session.

Mauricio
09-27-10, 1:33 am
i don't think you get my point, i said after legs and back because you shouldn't be hitting your abs that much. so it doesn't matter if you train it before or after cardio because you shouldn't be doing abs that much. as far as i know the body has a completely selective process when it comes to burning fat, if that weren't the case everyone would have ripped legs since you burn the largest amount of calories on leg day.