PDA

View Full Version : Who likes training in a tank top and who does not?

AntoineV
09-27-10, 2:48 am
I trained in a tank top today... usually I train in loose t shirts. I used to never train or wear tank tops because people would ''judge'' me as a show off meat head or whatever. Now I try not to care too much about people's opinions.... I mean the skinny guy can wear the tank top without being judged as a show off but when the big bodybuilder does it it's showing off.

I'm sure you can add some experience or opinion on this!

Howitzer
09-27-10, 3:00 am
I feel like people are watching me when I train in a tank. I also feel like I'm showing off something I don't have (being a skinny guy). I think if you're physically more comfortable training in a tank, train in a tank. If you feel more comfortable rocking a T, do it. Do whatever doesn't distract you from what you're at the gym for in the first place.

Howitzer

jrh0341
09-27-10, 4:07 am
Yeah, F* what anybody else thinks. Hell, I know a lot of people have an "opinion" of those guys they see constantly posing and looking at themselves in the mirror.

Well, now that I am actually setting my sights on a BB competition I'm posing in the mirror a lot between sets. Might not matter for everything else, but IMHO if you actually have a show in your sights, if you don't pose in the mirror here and there, you're doing it wrong.

Besides, the hell with it. If you're a skinny 160lb high school freshman, but making a few muscles in the mirror between sets, and seeing the pump or seeing whatever progress you are making is what keeps you motivated, so be it.

F* what others think, its your workout.

(time to contradict myself)

With all that said, I still won't wear a tanktop myself. Fact is, I have a bad, poorly done tattoo from when I was younger, and I haven't had time to get it covered yet. Until I get that tattoo fixed, I don't want to wear tanks, in the gym or out.

D-NUTZ
09-27-10, 5:07 am
When i lift at my school(rarely) i will wear a tank or a cut off. Normally when im at the Y, i will wear one of my 10 "Special Lifting Shirts". Im just not comfortable lifting in a tank or cutoff right now. Once i start with my cut this winter i will probably wear them more and more and most likely make some of my "Special Shirts" into a cutoff.

I feel like when i can see more of my body, the better the MMC i have.

Lonestar
09-27-10, 5:47 am
I prefer to wear loose t-shirts or a hoodie. I feel like you guys do, it seems like like ppl stare and judge you if you wear a tank top or tight shirt and what not. I get in, do my work then leave. I aint there to impress anyone or showoff, im there to work. My Animal hoodie is my best friend!

never_2_big
09-27-10, 7:03 am
Give me a loose shirt any day of the week. Whether its bulking season or cutting season i just feel more comfortable with a t-shirt, sometimes I'll even wear long sleeves just coz its comfortable.

Sprint
09-27-10, 8:47 am
I feel suffocated doing a full session in a t-shirt. Same as at the track, if it's cold I'll wear a lycra t-shirt but other than that it's a tank top.

No matter what stage you're at with training and/or experience, it's good & helpful to see the muscles working & seeing progress.
I do a couple of warm up sets in a t-shirt then strip down to a tank.

I did a few sessions with my cousin a while ago, unfortunately he's always been a really competitive & insecure type of person. If he's good at something, or thinks he can get good at something then that's all he'll do & talk about (case in point, table tennis at school. I beat him when we first played, but it didnt matter because to him it was "just a game" but it was close so he ended up going in at 7:00 every morning when the teachers arrived so he could practise by himself for a couple of hours. He ended up being the best in the year, & until we left it was all he'd talk about).

In areas where he's a long way behind (for example, bodybuilding. My 5 years' experience compared to his none) he'll try & pull people down rather than try to build himself up, by finding the smallest thing to criticise.

He said he wanted to get bigger & asked if he could train with me. I said of course he could.
Now, I did the exact same thing I used to do in my garage on my own at home, and carried on doing when I joined a gym with a training partner, and carried on doing when that training partner quit & I was training in the gym by myself. Warm up in a t-shirt, strip down to a tank.

Every time I did this with my cousin, and I mean EVERY SINGLE TIME, as soon as I took my t-shirt off he said WORD FOR WORD "Oh, here we go. Showing off."
The first couple of times I explained my reasons for it, & that I do the same thing when I'm shut in my garage, by myself, without even a mirror. I wasn't doing it for his or anybody else's benefit, I just feel comfortable training like this.

After the first few times, when he kept on saying it, I just either ignored him or just said "Yeah..." and carried on doing my thing.

You're always going to get judged doing this. Either by people not at your level thinking you're showing off, or admiring what you've achieved so far, or by people above you thinking "He's making decent progress" or "He aint shit, who's he trying to impress" depending on the person doing the judging.

Bottom line, in my experience, is to do whatever feels comfortable & works for you.

Universal Rep
09-27-10, 1:23 pm
Tank under T. Best of both worlds...

Mr. Dead
09-27-10, 1:25 pm
I always train in a tank top... (Aside from leg day...) I prefer the freedom of movement...

mritter3
09-27-10, 1:26 pm
i used to give a shit what people thought of me when i worked out...now i go in there and get my shit done....dont care what i wear..usually a loose shirt..but if the tank fit right...hell yah id rock it out.

Birdman
09-27-10, 1:38 pm
I dont mind Tanks, but I prefer just cutting out a T-shirt, it breaths better. Some tanks make me feel constricted, especially under the arms in the pit area.
And yes, the stigma that goes with the tank holds true at my gym, you are looked at as a show off. But for me...its all about function. If I get to hot I lose my lunch quicker than normal haha.

almosteasy
09-27-10, 1:41 pm
its tough to lift in cutoffs at school cause everyone automatically assumes youre doing it so the girls see "the gun show" or whatever..its dumb..i like the t shirt and long sleeves from time to time

Howitzer
09-27-10, 1:44 pm
I'm definitely seeing the common denominator here as being "Comfort." Whatever works best to get your animal on.

thelittleguy
09-27-10, 1:45 pm
i like training in a tank top. yea i get judged but i also don't care. when im in the gym im there for me, to train. but i don't wear it to show off im only 175 so im a pretty small guy. tank tops are just better for me to train in i can see my muscles working. like some of men on here have said before they just work better.

dannynb
09-27-10, 2:34 pm
I really don't care...it's what ever I happen top grab as I'm getting ready to lift. I used to always train in a tank and than went to just loose t-shirt to baggy hoodie...now it's whatever.

Big C
09-27-10, 2:43 pm
I like to train in either......but if I'm feeling particularly large that day, I'll throw a tank on - and that was more oft than not this summer esp with the crazy heat wave.

I definately wear a larger t shirt on leg day though b/c I'm not getting an upper body pump of any sort.

I don't care if a skinny dude is rockin a tank or not.....but if they act like an ass and show improper gym etiquette - that's what irks me the most.

wedge
09-27-10, 3:41 pm
It all depends on the weather. I've trained in tanks, t's, sweats, hoodies, whatever.

PIJW
09-27-10, 4:02 pm
I train in everything, what ever is clean and i throw in the truck that day, be it a tank, cutoff, shirt, shorts, sweats doesnt matter to me. Im going in getting the job done and getting out. I could care less what people think about me. Every now and then i get asked a question, so ill stop and give them an answer and then i go back to the weights, when im done i head out. I grew up not caring what people thought about me and i still done care. if they want to stare they can, if that want to judge they can, be cause in the end I DONT GIVE A FUCK.

metfan
09-27-10, 5:21 pm
Always train in a t shirt. Just not comfortable training in something tight.

Just my preference.

Legacy
09-27-10, 5:41 pm
I train in a t-shirt, in the winter time usually a sweat shirt as well. When I train I like being warm, if I am in a tank top and that AC hits me and I'm sweating I get cold and its hard for me to train when I am cold. I prefer a t-shirt.

Flash419
09-27-10, 5:46 pm
I wear a tank all the time.. t shirts are too tight around the shoulders for upper body training, and I like the feel of the cold bar digging into my traps when I squat. People are going to look and make comments at some point anyway.. turn up the head phones and put on another plate. Your there to grow and improve.. they'll still be staring and talking next year.. you'll be another year better.

For those who say they need the shirt for warmth... TRAIN HARDER!!

Big Wides
09-27-10, 10:27 pm
I prefer to train in t-shirts and sweatshirts. Not a big fan of tanks, even if its lounging around....

kryptiq
09-27-10, 11:16 pm
Tank tops are my preference. Mobility is key don't give a flying fuck who judges how I look.

Oz_78
09-28-10, 1:59 am
As its been said, go for whatever you're comfortable with. For what its worth, I train in a loose fitting tee-prefer that over the tank top.

D-Kev
09-28-10, 2:05 am
I like a well fitted T or an Underarmour shirt underneath a thin henley or thin thermal, or thin long sleeve tshirt....I like to keep the over shirt on as long as possible trough the lift session...It keeps me warm and my joints moving better...I get a better sweat goin' too.
Just trying to maintain every edge I can think of in my quest...it may be a small thing but they add up...

I am not a germophobe (hah like that Seinfeld episode) but I think tanks are kinda nasty...Meaning, there's some shit in the gym I don't want getting on me..and there's some guys that wear tanks gettin' their shit on everything lol...

Crematia
09-28-10, 10:00 am
I wear t-shirts 3 sizes too big, nice and comfortable.

IRN-NML
09-28-10, 10:11 am
If your training form, foculs work ethic, dedication are legit it doesn't matter what you wear. More important, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Aggression
09-28-10, 11:21 am
Tank under T. Best of both worlds...

This^. I usually rock a tank under a bigger T when I head into the gym. I let myself warm up a bit and then take off the big T-shirt and wear just the tank. Is it because I'm vain? Or cocky? No. Its because I always sweat my ass off in the gym. However, if its a little colder, I'll keep the T-shirt on.

Flash419
09-28-10, 4:48 pm
I wear t-shirts 3 sizes too big, nice and comfortable.

Do they make a 5X Animal shirt????

pushin weight
09-28-10, 5:03 pm
I like training in a close fitting white tshirt...i like seeing the pumps in the gym fill out my shirt and the full tshirt absorbs sweat better.it keeps me working harder with every rep.i wasnt gifted with above average genetics and i have to straight up bust my fuckin hump for every gain i make and if i wanna take a look at the fruits of my labor in a place i pay hard earned money to be in then fuck anybody who doesnt like it....:)

G Diesel
09-28-10, 5:21 pm
I usually wear a tank under my tee, but I have to have a solid pump and be feeling especially good to actually take off my t-shirt. It is really more about how I see myself than anything else.

Peace, G

Beowulf
09-28-10, 5:25 pm
This^. I usually rock a tank under a bigger T when I head into the gym. I let myself warm up a bit and then take off the big T-shirt and wear just the tank. Is it because I'm vain? Or cocky? No. Its because I always sweat my ass off in the gym. However, if its a little colder, I'll keep the T-shirt on.

I usually wear a tank under my tee, but I have to have a solid pump and be feeling especially good to actually take off my t-shirt. It is really more about how I see myself than anything else.

Peace, G

Same here.

S. Clarida
09-29-10, 12:22 pm
Personally, I wear a T-shirt to the gym esp. when I'm dieting down. Reason being is that the less I can see of myself, the harder I train. Let me explain...If you wear a tank and continously look at yourself in the mirror your mind is gonna tell you "damn, I'm huge" so your intensity may begin to slow down a bit, which affects your training. If you never see your muscles, you're forced just to go in the gym and train and not worry about what you look like.

I'm only about 5'2" but reach for my XL shirt every morning. Some days, I'll rock a sweatshirt the whole time. I train as heavy and as hard as hell with the goal of attempting to fill out that XL. Plus, I need to stay warm and sweat a bit. I'll wear a tank or sleeveless usually when I'm in the non-competing season.

GK

TRNHRD
09-29-10, 12:43 pm
I wear a muscle shirt, I like to see the range of motion and my form so I dont like baggy clothing. People stare but I stopped caring about what other people thought long ago.

ronald1919
09-29-10, 2:25 pm
tank top. Muscles are your life...show them off.

desertman
09-29-10, 2:54 pm
It depends on the temperature. I train in all temperatures but I like training in the heat. I don't know why. I sweat A LOT and I like to sweat a lot when I train. Sometimes my weights are without a/c and I have virtually no rest between sets. T-shirts are good but they can get a little disgusting when soaked compared to tanks. However the opposite is true. I dont like sweats or hoodies in the winter. T's in the winter, tanks in summer.

G Diesel
09-29-10, 2:56 pm
Personally, I wear a T-shirt to the gym esp. when I'm dieting down. Reason being is that the less I can see of myself, the harder I train. Let me explain...If you wear a tank and continously look at yourself in the mirror your mind is gonna tell you "damn, I'm huge" so your intensity may begin to slow down a bit, which affects your training. If you never see your muscles, you're forced just to go in the gym and train and not worry about what you look like.

I'm only about 5'2" but reach for my XL shirt every morning. Some days, I'll rock a sweatshirt the whole time. I train as heavy and as hard as hell with the goal of attempting to fill out that XL. Plus, I need to stay warm and sweat a bit. I'll wear a tank or sleeveless usually when I'm in the non-competing season.

GK

Awesome perspective bro.

Peace, G

Tony
09-29-10, 2:58 pm
I trained in a tank top today... usually I train in loose t shirts. I used to never train or wear tank tops because people would ''judge'' me as a show off meat head or whatever. Now I try not to care too much about people's opinions.... I mean the skinny guy can wear the tank top without being judged as a show off but when the big bodybuilder does it it's showing off.

I'm sure you can add some experience or opinion on this!

haha I feel the same way. but sometimes you gotta say f*ckit and show what the bi product of hard work is. Screaming and stomping around angry is another story haha

Bard of Rage
09-29-10, 4:25 pm
I have a tendency to wear one under my regular shirt when I work out and generally will get to the point where I feel too restricted or warm and just were the tank top, so I have no issues here. Though I'm willing to bet it probably is a little bit of narcissism too.

Crematia
09-29-10, 5:08 pm
Do they make a 5X Animal shirt????

They make 3X's and that's what I wear :D

mfl5027
10-02-10, 9:22 pm
I wear a tank at home but not at the gym any more (they allow cut offs but not tanks as of last year). For me it started just b/c I've always worn tanks so I had a nice collection by the time I started lifting. Now I hate Ts on upper body days. They just feel restricting.

As for other gym goers, I notice stares but don't care. I'm in my own world in the gym plus I get a kick from making stare-ers uncomfortable when I make eye contact.

MassMonster
10-02-10, 10:01 pm
I say screw them... your not siting there in front of them posing so , they can shove it... I wear a tank from time to time, because like a few guys said... it's less restricting on certain days... only reason i dont wear one everyday is cuz i squat alot and damn if that bar doesnt tattoo its damn name unto my back

Machine
10-03-10, 9:39 am
The smart money says to stay covered from head to toe...lest you come out of the gym with a nasty staph infection.

MACHINE

Carpe Diem P.T
10-03-10, 9:53 am
The smart money says to stay covered from head to toe...lest you come out of the gym with a nasty staph infection.

MACHINE

i got the staph infection and managed to pass it on to my wife. gotta be sure to wipe those sweaty benches down before you jump in to position. They are invisible nasties, especially here in australia with our tropical climate. a breeding ground for that shit.

BarbellManiac
10-03-10, 10:43 am
I always get my best workouts in my animal gear. Mostly animal Ts. You know, the best thing to train in is something you like to train in. Screw people, My friends tease me, because I have Animal Posters in my room they laugh at the "Squat till you puke" one because they think it's gay, but who cares?? They're not the ones growing now are they? I would say if your gym allowed you to train shirtless, you should do that.

Legacy
10-03-10, 11:10 am
I would say if your gym allowed you to train shirtless, you should do that.

Funny you bring that up. When I train at the gym, I always wear a t-shirt keeps me a lot warmer than a tank and I like staying hot during a workout.

However I am a lucky few who the owner gave a key to so I can go in after hours, and when I go in when the gym is closed I always train no shirt, no shoes, and just shorts. Take it back to the golden era how those guys use to train and I'll tell ya what, its very comfortable training like that, nothing holds back.

BarbellManiac
10-03-10, 3:53 pm
That's more like it! Train in what you want!!!

Sprint
10-03-10, 5:24 pm
I always get my best workouts in my animal gear. Mostly animal Ts. You know, the best thing to train in is something you like to train in. Screw people, My friends tease me, because I have Animal Posters in my room they laugh at the "Squat till you puke" one because they think it's gay, but who cares?? They're not the ones growing now are they? I would say if your gym allowed you to train shirtless, you should do that.

Squat till you puke...gay?? And lo, the green-eyed monster doest its ugly head once more rear.

Funny you bring that up. When I train at the gym, I always wear a t-shirt keeps me a lot warmer than a tank and I like staying hot during a workout.

However I am a lucky few who the owner gave a key to so I can go in after hours, and when I go in when the gym is closed I always train no shirt, no shoes, and just shorts. Take it back to the golden era how those guys use to train and I'll tell ya what, its very comfortable training like that, nothing holds back.

That sounds awesome bro.

BarbellManiac
10-03-10, 5:38 pm
Squat till you puke...gay?? And lo, the green-eyed monster doest its ugly head once more rear.

Ehh there eyes are directed towards his glutes, They're the ones that are gay IMO

theharjmann
10-03-10, 5:55 pm
i love training in a tank when ive been dieting as i like seeing all those veins...it gets me even more pumped...i can lift heavier and i can lift more. therefore that is a positive for me. so fuck what everyone else thinks/says

AntoineV
10-04-10, 11:41 am

MACHINE

good point. I always bring a towel too

Diesel Rocket
10-04-10, 1:13 pm
Suns out ---- guns out

is my motto

soonerbigd
10-04-10, 2:48 pm
I have a drawer full of "lifting cut" tee-shirts. When I'm lifting uppper body, particularly back or shoulders, I go for those. Neck line cut out a little so it doesn't rub the neck or try to choke me. Sleves and armpit areas cut out so it doesn't rub or restrict. Even when I wear tanks, I usually cut the armpit area out a little to give some room for the lats. On chest day, it could be a tee shirt or a lifting shirt. Legs day, it's usually a tee shirt to minimize slipping when I do front squats.

BB-J
10-04-10, 9:57 pm
I think like most people have said it comes down to personal preference.

For me I find in winter and colder months wearing a T/hoodie is the way to go as keeping warm and keeping the blood in the muscles is just as important as the weight/sets your doing.

As summer/warmth comes around, I basically always opt for the tank/singlet option, or start with a t and strip down to a tank.

All in all I think F*** the haters, go loud and go proud regardless of what your wearing and keep yourself comfortable (you dont wanna be wearing a hoodie in summer etc)

Csned
10-11-10, 1:04 am
I rock a hoodie, I like when people look at me like I'm crazy wearing a hoodie when it's 90 degrees....

Redbeard
10-11-10, 5:50 pm
I wear tanks on shoulder days. Like to see the muscles I'm working.

prowrestler
10-11-10, 5:58 pm
t shirt.

chiapeteater
11-03-10, 8:22 pm
I wear a t-shirt when training. Specifically, I will be wearing these when I train from now on. They just showed up in the mail at my hotel today and had a few unexpected extras with them(thanks Universal for the bumper sticker, pin, and free Torent 0 sample!!!)! I ordered them Sunday and they are here already! SWEET!

http://yfrog.com/n0dsc03970kj

DetroitMuscle
11-04-10, 10:13 am
I usually rock a tank under a 2x tshirt in the summer and then add a hoodie in the mix if its fall/winter. I feel it out, really it depends on how my workout is going if I take off the shirt and rock the tank. If my workout is going good and I really feel that pump and I want to SEE what im working on I take it off. Sometimes I am not feeling it though.

BUT...as of late I got some nasty acne on my arms where they rub against my chest in movements...so I have been keeping the shirt on LOL.

Preston
02-23-11, 2:34 pm
T-shirt man, I make a tank-top turn into a bra. No shit.

Imjorman
02-25-11, 12:30 am
Usually I rock a tank top or a cut off, but might switch to being completely covered because of what machine said...

Punishir
02-25-11, 12:37 am
I wear all 3, tanks, T's, and Wife beater.

zubda345
02-25-11, 6:52 am
I like to train in a tank top and a thigh short shorts.... But everything goes, tank top, ts, full sleeves, pants, trousers...

conjugalburns
02-25-11, 7:41 am
I prefer to wear tanks, sadly my school gym does not let us