PDA

View Full Version : Tuna or Tilapia?

_Trainlikeafreak
09-28-10, 10:54 am
Hey bros I was wondering which would you prefer, tuna or tilapia (or both).. I gotta start increasing my fish intake so I was wondering which one is more popular/better than the other.

Thanks
- Zach

Universal Rep
09-28-10, 11:05 am
Hey bros I was wondering which would you prefer, tuna or tilapia (or both).. I gotta start increasing my fish intake so I was wondering which one is more popular/better than the other.

Thanks
- Zach

Why limit it to one? Both are good. If you're doing contest prep that's one thing. But if you were, you'd already know which worked better for ya. So go for variety brother. Your physique and your taste buds will thank you. This is one of those questions people could def fall into the trap of overthinking... Keep things simple. Add variety.

thelittleguy
09-28-10, 11:42 am
i agree with the watchman. keeping a variety in your diet makes it much easier to stick to your diet and not go and stuff yourself with less than healthy food.

_Trainlikeafreak
09-28-10, 11:43 am
Sounds good... Thanks for the advice U-REP

Universal Rep
09-28-10, 11:44 am

It's why we're here brother. Good luck with the diet.

T. Kemble
09-28-10, 11:52 am

best of luck bro! Listen to Urep and keep the variety in the diet!!

mritter3
09-28-10, 12:08 pm
if i had to choose one...it would def. be tilapia...but tuna is convenient and cheap...so cant go wrong there either...

kryptiq
09-28-10, 12:27 pm
Tilapia if you aren't on a tight budget, and especially if this is a cut.

Whoops my bad already got answered, well good luck with the clean eating bro.

Deathride
09-28-10, 1:07 pm
Personally love the tuna....more portable and easy to get hold of here in the UK! (haven't seen Tilapia at all to be honest!) A can a day at least (either neat or as a sandwich does it for me).

rmt0512
09-28-10, 1:25 pm
Tuna in a can and frozen tilapia fillets. Both cheap and full of protein.

desertman
09-28-10, 1:38 pm
salmon. Not a fan of mercury or pork like hormones in tilapia.

kryptiq
09-28-10, 1:38 pm
Personally love the tuna....more portable and easy to get hold of here in the UK! (haven't seen Tilapia at all to be honest!) A can a day at least (either neat or as a sandwich does it for me).

Ahh that sucks, it's all over the place at least here in NY.

desertman
09-28-10, 2:03 pm
Orange roughie and herring are awesome

Deathride
09-28-10, 2:12 pm
Orange roughie sounds like a Dutch tobacco (or sexual position) :-D

Is Tilapia known by another name or is it just not that available over here?! we tend to have more cod etc available...

wedge
09-28-10, 2:51 pm
Talapia is great with a little seasoning.

Pizzalamp
09-28-10, 10:41 pm
tilapia is one of the worst fish to eat

its got little nutritional value and is typically raised in filthy conditions

its basically like an unwashed iceberg lettuce of the fish world

Beowulf
09-29-10, 10:35 am
tilapia is one of the worst fish to eat

its got little nutritional value and is typically raised in filthy conditions

its basically like an unwashed iceberg lettuce of the fish world

Sound the alarm! Sound the alarm! Everyone stop eating tilapia immediately! Put that fork down now!

Girevik 69
09-29-10, 11:21 am
Never cared for tuna, personally. A smelly greasy fish, and a huge one too, which makes it higher on the food chain and therefore considerably more toxic.

Tilapia is apparently lacking in Omega-3s, which is a major bummer. But it's a nice, mild-tasting fish, so I enjoy it on occasion.

My personal choice for fish is salmon--high in Omega-3s, and it's a smaller fish. Salmon sushi at a good sushi place is one of life's finer pleasures, IMO.

rickey55
09-29-10, 11:31 am
As mentioned before,,it really depends on YOU. I can tell you, I prefer tiliapia, its a vegetarian fish so it doesnt have that distinct fishy taste like canned tunna..

_Trainlikeafreak
09-29-10, 12:53 pm
Thanks for all the feedback guys... I gotta bump my fish intake up so I figured this was a good way for me to start.. Show in 5 weeks and 3 days from today..

Pizzalamp
09-29-10, 4:52 pm
Sound the alarm! Sound the alarm! Everyone stop eating tilapia immediately! Put that fork down now!
were trying to have a solid discussion on bodybuilding foods in this thread

lets try to keep this thread on track and leave the hatearade at the door

thanks bro

Beowulf
09-29-10, 4:56 pm
were trying to have a solid discussion on bodybuilding foods in this thread

lets try to keep this thread on track and leave the hatearade at the door

thanks bro

If we want to have a rational discussion, we should leave talk like "unwashed iceberg lettuce of the fish world" and other alarmist language at the door. If we want to have a productive conversation, then making statements like "tilapia is one of the worst fish to eat" should be clarified and contextualized. Whenever I hear people say "best" or "worst" like they know what they're talking about, I usually walk the other way. If you want to do neither of the above, then let sarcasm reign;-)

Pizzalamp
09-29-10, 5:26 pm
If we want to have a rational discussion, we should leave talk like "unwashed iceberg lettuce of the fish world" and other alarmist language at the door. If we want to have a productive conversation, then making statements like "tilapia is one of the worst fish to eat" should be clarified and contextualized. Whenever I hear people say "best" or "worst" like they know what they're talking about, I usually walk the other way. If you want to do neither of the above, then let sarcasm reign;-)a rational discussion does not involve sounding an alarm to warm people to stop eating foods

it is one of the worst fish to eat-crappy omega profile and nasty farming conditons

iceberg lettuce is crap and so is tilapia

i hope u come back after walking the other way

Beowulf
09-29-10, 5:30 pm
a rational discussion does not involve sounding an alarm to warm people to stop eating foods

it is one of the worst fish to eat-crappy omega profile and nasty farming conditons

iceberg lettuce is crap and so is tilapia

i hope u come back after walking the other way

Lol. Not worth my time. Good luck with this thread and the very broad generalizations with which you are painting here.

Nick101
09-29-10, 9:12 pm
haha well anyway, i eat alot of tuna and im always hearing people talking about like mercury levels and stuff, so how much is too much? im obviously not looking for a number of cans or something jus maybe a guideline?

desertman
09-30-10, 2:23 am
Lol. Not worth my time. Good luck with this thread and the very broad generalizations with which you are painting here.

Sounds pretty specific. And all farm raised fish are not good. Saturated with antibiotics (especially Chinese) and all kinds of crap. But the omega profile really does suck it up. But lets not overreact. I'm not saying be afraid I'm saying eat salmon instead. I've eaten it, and I've eaten McDonalds too but that is absolute crap.

JasonG
09-30-10, 4:25 am
I eat both and often. Orange Roughy, Mahi Mahi are good too. Hell just look at the macros and go for as much variety as makes sense for your diet/wallet.

rockyIV
10-01-10, 12:09 pm
salmon. Not a fan of mercury or pork like hormones in tilapia.

There is a mercury concern in tuna as well but like others said keep both. You can't beat talapias price

Pizzalamp
10-01-10, 10:32 pm
Sounds pretty specific. And all farm raised fish are not good. Saturated with antibiotics (especially Chinese) and all kinds of crap. But the omega profile really does suck it up. But lets not overreact. I'm not saying be afraid I'm saying eat salmon instead. I've eaten it, and I've eaten McDonalds too but that is absolute crap.

good post-i agree

Girevik 69
10-02-10, 8:36 am
haha well anyway, i eat alot of tuna and im always hearing people talking about like mercury levels and stuff, so how much is too much? im obviously not looking for a number of cans or something jus maybe a guideline?

I wouldn't eat tuna at all, personally. It's a big friggin' fish, and thus it's higher on the food chain, which makes it much more toxic. Strength Coach Bill Starr once wrote a good article on fish and Omega-3s for MILO magazine, and he advises against eating tuna--he prefers far smaller fish.