PDA

View Full Version : Scared of getting crushed while squatting :/

krindal
09-30-10, 10:41 am
Hi guys,

The squat is one of my favourite excercises, but for some reason when I try to go and squat more weight I feel like I'm getting crushed. I know I can squat that weight but it feels like my mind just blocks..

Should I go to the smith machine and squat there until I get used to the weight or just keep trying it with the freeweight? With the freeweight I cant use the savity pins.

If I cant squat as heavy as I would like to squat my whole leg workout feels like not done.

Thanks in advance,
Emiel

C.Coronato
09-30-10, 10:49 am
Keep the weight low and work your way up. Use a spotter. If your not comfortable, you WILL get hurt.

Aggression
09-30-10, 10:52 am
Why can't you use the safety pins? When I'm squatting alone, I always squat in the power rack with the pins in. Its the safest way. And your squat form might be off a bit. I used to feel the same way. I re-worked my form and it feels like a brand-new exercise.

Bard of Rage
09-30-10, 10:53 am
Are you going the full parallel distance when you squat/using proper form? If not you may need to reevaluate your form, or possibly get a training partner to help spot you if you don’t have one. Other wise all I can say is keep at it with a sense of purpose and try to get past that mental block. I was the same way when I first started and I'm just now getting to the point of ensuring I do parallel.

shizz702
09-30-10, 10:56 am
Don't bother with smith squats. Squat in a power rack with the pins set at a safe spot to where you can just drop the bar if need be.

krindal
09-30-10, 11:18 am
I can't squat with the pins bc there are no pins at our squat rack. I asked the instructors if my form was good and they told me it was. I think it's all in my head, and for some reason I can't get it out. When I do squat heavier I do half squats while I try to do full squats..

Thanks for the fast replies already.

Aggression
09-30-10, 11:20 am
Be smart. Work your way up slowly. Its all mental. You just have to break through it.

shizz702
09-30-10, 11:50 am
Half squats aren't gonna do anything but give you a false sense of strength gains and quad/ham imbalances.

If you can't squat in a rack just get your technique down and learn to hold a rep in the tank, meaning if you grind one out and have a hard time locking it out, save the last one.

You can also ask for a spot, and if your gym has bumper plates you can just dump the bar if need be, though it is a rarity to see those in commercial gyms.

pushin weight
09-30-10, 12:08 pm
Why can't you use the safety pins? When I'm squatting alone, I always squat in the power rack with the pins in. Its the safest way. And your squat form might be off a bit. I used to feel the same way. I re-worked my form and it feels like a brand-new exercise.

agreed 100 %

I was lucky enough to have a good trainer teach me how to feel the form when you squat.Once you feel all your bodies muscles engage in the excersise you know ur doing it properly and it feels very good with the proper weight.I suggest you find someone in your gym who is knowledgable,maybe one of the trainers, to help you with your form.Remember to leave your ego at the door when your doing squats, its the form that counts,be careful.

T. Kemble
09-30-10, 12:39 pm
How do you get past the other fears you had in your life? You found a way to overcome and persevere. If you want to squat and be strong, you'll find a way.

just get under the bar and put in work.

SpankyC
09-30-10, 2:02 pm
I can't squat with the pins bc there are no pins at our squat rack. I asked the instructors if my form was good and they told me it was. I think it's all in my head, and for some reason I can't get it out. When I do squat heavier I do half squats while I try to do full squats..

Thanks for the fast replies already.

Thats why leave the ego at the door. Dont use super heavy weights until you can do full reps with a managable weight. You dont have to go all out on your max weights every workout, some workouts go slower on the range of motion and shoot for 10-20 reps deep. That will build more mass and power than doing 3-5 reps with half squats.

pushin weight
09-30-10, 2:41 pm
Thats why leave the ego at the door. Dont use super heavy weights until you can do full reps with a managable weight. You dont have to go all out on your max weights every workout, some workouts go slower on the range of motion and shoot for 10-20 reps deep. That will build more mass and power than doing 3-5 reps with half squats.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

pushin weight
09-30-10, 2:47 pm
How do you get past the other fears you had in your life? You found a way to overcome and persevere. If you want to squat and be strong, you'll find a way.

just get under the bar and put in work.

Thats like throwing a book at some one who cant read and expecting them to because they have a book.When i first got under a squat bar i had no idea what i was doing and i wouldnt have if someone hadnt worked with me to get my form in check.This kind of advice will get someone injured man.Not flamin ya, just saying..

krindal
09-30-10, 5:23 pm
Thanks for all the tips and advices guys :)

I'll just go light and try more reps with good form. Then slightly increase the weight.
How many sets do you guys advice? Like 4, 5 sets and 12-15 reps?

Thanks in advance, Emiel

SpankyC
09-30-10, 5:44 pm
Thanks for all the tips and advices guys :)

I'll just go light and try more reps with good form. Then slightly increase the weight.
How many sets do you guys advice? Like 4, 5 sets and 12-15 reps?

Thanks in advance, Emiel

This is another thing alot of beginners get confused on....how many sets? reps? Go by how it feels bro, aslong as your training with form that feels "right" to "you", do it. Whether you feel like doing 3 sets to failure or maybe you may only have energy to do 1 set to all out failure, just aslong as your training hard with proper form!

krindal
09-30-10, 5:55 pm
Alright, thanks a lot.

SpankyC
09-30-10, 6:23 pm
Alright, thanks a lot.

yep no problem! hit it hard!

Muscleguy93
09-30-10, 8:34 pm
Grow a pair. this game is for MEN, if your a gutless bastard quit now.

hope this lite the fire under you.

Legacy
09-30-10, 10:28 pm
Sounds like you need to start training your mind. If your mind says you can't do it, then your body won't do it. You need to mentally prepare yourself and get through it.

Sprint
10-01-10, 8:08 am
This is another thing alot of beginners get confused on....how many sets? reps? Go by how it feels bro, aslong as your training with form that feels "right" to "you", do it. Whether you feel like doing 3 sets to failure or maybe you may only have energy to do 1 set to all out failure, just aslong as your training hard with proper form!

X2

And as mentioned above as well, leave the ego behind. Quarter reps with a shitload of weight doesn't impress anybody apart from the ones who havn't got a clue.

Just build it up slowly, get the mind-muscle connection & remember the feeling from doing it correctly with less weight. Just concentrate on keeping that feeling as you increase the weight. Too many folk end up ramping the weight up really quickly & losing that feelng.

That's why you see guys & you can't work out if they're doing tricep pressdowns, or a lat pulldown.

Build it up slowly, this shit takes time. Sure, everybody wants it now, but if they rush they'll never get it.

krindal
10-01-10, 9:30 am
X2

And as mentioned above as well, leave the ego behind. Quarter reps with a shitload of weight doesn't impress anybody apart from the ones who havn't got a clue.

I am not training to impress other guys, but I get ur point man.
The weights I am working with won't impress anyone YET.

Emiel.

Sprint
10-01-10, 9:37 am
I am not training to impress other guys, but I get ur point man.
The weights I am working with won't impress anyone YET.

Emiel.

If you're pushing yourself with good form, you'll be impressing more people than you think.

Keep your eyes on the prize bro.

rockyIV
10-01-10, 12:01 pm
Hi guys,

The squat is one of my favourite excercises, but for some reason when I try to go and squat more weight I feel like I'm getting crushed. I know I can squat that weight but it feels like my mind just blocks..

Should I go to the smith machine and squat there until I get used to the weight or just keep trying it with the freeweight? With the freeweight I cant use the savity pins.

If I cant squat as heavy as I would like to squat my whole leg workout feels like not done.

Thanks in advance,
Emiel
If you feel like you are getting crushed make sure to use your core. If you just focus on your legs it's easy to get this feeling going heavy. Squats recruit more than just your legs. Keep your core, especially your lower back tight and ready to work and see how that works.

ronnie
10-01-10, 12:23 pm
start light, always hit full range of motion, add a bit more weight each week, nothing wrong with asking someone to spot.

also, never, never use the smith. the smith should only ever be used by someone training around an injury. if thats not you, dont do it.

Sprint
10-01-10, 6:40 pm
start light, always hit full range of motion, add a bit more weight each week, nothing wrong with asking someone to spot.

also, never, never use the smith. the smith should only ever be used by someone training around an injury. if thats not you, dont do it.

Tried to squat once using the smith, out of morbid curiosity than anything else. NEVER again. It was fucking shit.

msktyshha
10-02-10, 8:58 pm
best thing to do is squat with a weight you're comfortable and then add 5-10 lbs each week on and just work your way up, this way you'll be sure that you can squat the weight you chose

metfan
10-02-10, 9:10 pm
As everyone has said, just keep at it and build slowly.

Don't be afraid to ask or watch and learn from others. No shame in doing so as you want to learn to train smart and do this for this long haul.

Have seen too many guys who want it all now get hurt, never to return again.

I have always been more impressed with those that give 100% to effort and proper form instead of the guy piling on pies and doing 1/4 reps.

Do what you can and what feels right. The only guy that matters is the one looking back at you.

Sprint
10-03-10, 6:33 pm
Do what you can and what feels right. The only guy that matters is the one looking back at you.

Love this.

Machine
10-03-10, 8:03 pm
Squating is a lot like fucking...everybody with a dick thinks he's doing it right.

You must understand the make up of a proper squat...I have posted many times on this...and written countless articles on the subject...not sure on the status of those articles...but I am quite certain that they would illuminate many lifters out there.

In the interest of saving time I will address your problem specifically. You are leaps and bounds ahead of the curve because you are contemplating the most valuable element in any athletes life...the squat. The thing you are missing is the attacking mindset...you dont have to be careless, you dont have to add weight to the bar prematurely, and you dont have to lift a lot of weight to possess the attcking mindset. You only need to believe in yourself and in what you are doing. Find some of the many technical squating articles on this site and do your research...then get ready to find out what you are made of.

Good luck

MACHINE

zubda345
10-04-10, 1:31 pm
Machine's the man Can't agree more!

MRmichael.hooker
10-04-10, 1:37 pm
Tried to squat once using the smith, out of morbid curiosity than anything else. NEVER again. It was fucking shit.

why? I never tried it until I saw a vid on MD of Jay Cutler using it for the Olympia and tried it and I like to swap it in every 3 or 4 weeks. I like it, it has worked good for me to bring a good balance to my quads

Bard of Rage
10-04-10, 3:16 pm
Squating is a lot like fucking...everybody with a dick thinks he's doing it right.

Couldn't agree more Machine, mind if I quote you on that?

Sprint
10-04-10, 5:10 pm
why? I never tried it until I saw a vid on MD of Jay Cutler using it for the Olympia and tried it and I like to swap it in every 3 or 4 weeks. I like it, it has worked good for me to bring a good balance to my quads

I think for the same reason I stay away from shoulder press machines. It didn't let me follow the exact natural pathway for my body.

Plus I feel you get more core activation from a free weight squat as opposed to using the smith machine.

never_2_big
10-04-10, 5:17 pm
Hey man! My advice would be to squat at the end of routine...

1. Youre already feeling the rest of your workout thus you wont need to put on 100's and 100's of LBS.

2. You'll get that crushing fear at a lighter weight that you know you can lift with ease.

As a psych student I've learnt exposure is the best medecine. So get under the bar, have someone spot you and lift that fucking weight... You've got it bro... Nothin but a peanut!

Sprint
10-04-10, 5:21 pm

1. Youre already feeling the rest of your workout thus you wont need to put on 100's and 100's of LBS.

2. You'll get that crushing fear at a lighter weight that you know you can lift with ease.

As a psych student I've learnt exposure is the best medecine. So get under the bar, have someone spot you and lift that fucking weight... You've got it bro... Nothin but a peanut!

A very interesting approach. Some outside the box shit right there, I'm always up for some of that.

krindal
10-04-10, 5:48 pm

this sounds good man, ill give this a try the next time ill squat!
thanks!

ronnie
10-04-10, 8:14 pm

i guess it would be best if we knew the purpose of him squatting, and what his goals were before we commented, if he is strictly bodybuilding, smith away, if he is powerlifting, no smith.

krindal
01-30-11, 1:43 pm
I just want to say this: I don't got this problem anymore. I am working out with a strong workout partner now. And my squat has improved a lot with his help.

Now I am squatting 3 times a week with the stronglift program just because I freakin' love to squat now. :)

Machine
01-30-11, 2:17 pm
Stop performing Barbell Squats immediately...you have a pedestrian attitude concerning your training and you will become injured very soon.

MACHINE

krindal
01-30-11, 5:21 pm
You must be kidding me.

Machine
01-30-11, 7:23 pm
You must be kidding me.

No not kidding...No disrespect intended...but you are not mentally ready to perfrom the Barbell Squat...this exercise must be perfomed in an attacking and very deliberate manner.

Just my opinion...but then...who the fuck am I anyway...its your training.

MACHINE

BarbellManiac
01-31-11, 5:19 pm
IMO it's all mental shit like everyone said, read a couple articles on this site and get that mind set going. "It's the mind that creates the body, the mind that visualizes what the body will look like" and the mind that pushes you beyond your own capabilities. Just my 2 cents...

Good Luck

Carrnage
01-31-11, 5:35 pm
Machine is right!!

Hey listnen to this little story....(its true by the way)

Bob was a young but confused kid, he wanted to skateboard on top of a building, but he was scared he would fall on his little ass, so he asked people if he should go on top of the building and skate. (why he wanted to skate on a building? who the fuck knows why!? he just wanted to!) So instead of properly asking why and how to properly put on his skating equipment and skate the right way and learn the biomechanics of the skateboard and how his body functions, he continuly asks his friends and forum members if he should go on top of that damn building and skate on it....his friends and forum members give him advice on why and how to properly skateboard but Bob doesnt care about the advice and how to skate. All he cares about is "how much" respect hel get skating on top of the building. So he goes on top of the building, falls on his little ass and breaks every damn bone in his body. Meanwhile in the hospital he just keeps on thinking...man....i wish i listnened to my friends.....

Tifferzzz
01-31-11, 11:26 pm
When I started Olympic lifting, it changed the way that I did squats. Rather than having toes forward, knees going to 90 degrees, I had to learn to train squats DEEP. Want a good way to get strong and evaluate your form - I recommend at least trying to squat butt to calves. That'll give you a different sense of strength with legs. Remember - toes pointed slightly out, feet hip width apart, chest up and hips back.

If you're not sure about your form or are having problems - video it and upload it. I'd be glad to help evaluate.

keep in mind that deep squatting fatigues the hips so don't go too heavy if you try it. Since I'm shorter and my legs are short, and since hips have to drop lower than knees in Comps, I'm really glad that I learned how to do this. Now I can't squat my old way! It's too weird!

krindal
02-01-11, 3:47 am
No not kidding...No disrespect intended...but you are not mentally ready to perfrom the Barbell Squat...this exercise must be perfomed in an attacking and very deliberate manner.

Just my opinion...but then...who the fuck am I anyway...its your training.

MACHINE

I think you misunderstood my post. I am just slightly going up on weight only if I am going below par, with good form and with self convidence.

Cellardweller
02-01-11, 1:40 pm
You also said you're squatting 3x per week. That's crazy shit. Go all out once a week then rest and grow. Squats are probably the most intense weight training exercise.

Here, check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8

krindal
02-01-11, 4:54 pm
I've watched that video many times now, but thanks for posting it anyway.

If you know Rippetoe and his program it's based on compounds only and there you squat 3 times a week.

krypto
02-01-11, 7:29 pm
Grow a pair. this game is for MEN, if your a gutless bastard quit now.

hope this lite the fire under you.People like you give this brotherhood a bad name.

Machine
02-01-11, 7:48 pm
I think you misunderstood my post. I am just slightly going up on weight only if I am going below par, with good form and with self convidence.

I would like for you to post some film of you squatting and lets see if we can make some adjustments...

You must understand that sometimes I need to make certain statements to see what your response will be...mission accomplished...we can work together.

MACHINE

BarbellManiac
02-01-11, 7:54 pm
I would like for you to post some film of you squatting and lets see if we can make some adjustments...

You must understand that sometimes I need to make certain statements to see what your response will be...mission accomplished...we can work together.

MACHINE

Smart man, clearly you payed attention in psychology class.

jeff00z28
02-01-11, 10:17 pm
sounds like poor form