PDA

View Full Version : Deloading Strategy

Redbeard
10-04-10, 5:05 pm
Over the past several months I've gotten serious again about lifting after a relative lull for a while. I've pushed quite hard for a while, put on some good hard muscle (maybe a little less size than I'd prefer, but I prefer being hard to being puffy) and my lifts are the biggest they've ever been now with good form. Diet is a struggle, but is pretty good. I've recently gone from a 6-day split to a 4-day. 6 wasn't sustainable forever and the bigger my lifts got the less I began to feel like I was getting because my energy level suffered over the week. 4 Days is working out pretty good and I've decided to put a deload week in, but I don't have a lot of experience with it.

I decided to start doing it every fourth week (I'm doing it right now) by simply going 5x5 on all my regular exercises at 60% 1RM (and shorter rest periods than usual). As I understand it the purpose in deloading is mainly to give your body something of a rest/reset/refresh without losing any of your gains. I figure this weight and volume will keep my body primed without taking too much wind out of me.

But, I'm curious to ask those of you who have more experience doing this. What is your deload strategy? How often do you deload? What does your workout look like when you do? Do you change your supplementation or schedule your supplement cycles around it? Any assistance is appreciated.

prowrestler
10-04-10, 5:30 pm
the fact your complicating a deload strategy defeats the purpose of a deload...

hell, deloads can be simply not training. heres a basic strategy.

1, remove half of your training days
2, do half the sets
3, use half the weight youd use on a normal day
4, half the exercises
5, focus on stretching and foam rolling. stress relief things like sauna, hot baths, massages..all that good shit

Deathride
10-04-10, 6:49 pm
Tis true. I am on the 5/3/1 program (who isn't?) and as such my deloads are basically

1) do the basic exercise - I usually do about 60% of the weight and do speedy reps. Not quite a Westside speed day, but I do the reps fast and the sets close together to get it done!

2) do some assistance work. Again, nothing flashy, nothing heavy. Do strict reps and enjoy the feeling of getting a pump without having to force yourself to squeeze out that extra pound etc

3) As pro says....RELAX into it! My deloads are a time to take stock of what I've accomplished in the previous months, get a little bit of a sweat on and enjoy the week off! I do keep the number of sets of the same, but with much less weight.....seems to be working so far!

Redbeard
10-05-10, 9:03 am
the fact your complicating a deload strategy defeats the purpose of a deload...

Not quite sure how I'm complicating it. 5 sets of 5 reps at 60% 1RM seems pretty straightforward. Thanks for the advice though - given your tips it seems like I might be overdoing it. I did go for a massage the other night and decided to have that be part of my cycle.

The big question for me is how frequently should I be deloading.

Redbeard
10-05-10, 9:10 am
I am on the 5/3/1 program (who isn't?) and as such my deloads are basically

Well I'm not doing 5/3/1 although I intend to when my current system fails me; but I decided to add a deload after reading about it. I kind of realized the importance of deloading and basically borrowed the deload frequency and weight from that, but going 5x5 was just pulling something out of my ass that seemed not too much and not too little.

blaine
10-05-10, 12:36 pm
i have been lifting for about 6 months with out a break or a deload. should i deload or break. if i deload can i just do my legs normally and everything else half sets and half weight.

T. Kemble
10-05-10, 12:37 pm
taking one step back can allow you to take many steps forward.

id recommend you deload your entire body completely for a week, you will come back much stronger and it will not effect your strength levels.

Deathride
10-05-10, 12:46 pm
i have been lifting for about 6 months with out a break or a deload. should i deload or break. if i deload can i just do my legs normally and everything else half sets and half weight.

Deload everything. Do a nice light workout with good form and you'll be refreshed and ready to go the next week with so much more vigor. You can't lift 100% for six months....take two weeks out and you'll be so much more eager / ready to lift heavy!

prowrestler
10-05-10, 2:44 pm
Not quite sure how I'm complicating it. 5 sets of 5 reps at 60% 1RM seems pretty straightforward. Thanks for the advice though - given your tips it seems like I might be overdoing it. I did go for a massage the other night and decided to have that be part of my cycle.

The big question for me is how frequently should I be deloading.

your last phrase is where you over complicate shit.

the deload should be done every 4-6 weeks, depending on training intensity used

J Wong
10-05-10, 2:52 pm
I have been deloading every 4th week, so 3 weeks on, 1 week off. It's awesome. After 3 weeks of heavy/hard training, a week of skipping deadlifts, going easy on the compound movements, and just doing regular DB/machine work makes me feel fresh after a week.