PDA

View Full Version : Use the SEARCH function

hjayss
02-28-07, 8:26 am
Here is what I notice and I think we all will agree here. The search option here is a great tool and needs to be utlilized. I know everyone here is just itching to post something when they get tot the forum, but we need to because nothing like going into a thread and thinking well I am going to help out, but youo have answered the same question maybe 3-4 times. I love to help do not mind at all my knowledge pick my brain clean and I am sure the other pros, watchman, henchman etc will agree like we all see big jawn when he says use the search option already a thread on this ha ha ha lol.

mgmmaze
02-28-07, 10:10 am
Damn skippy bro

focused
02-28-07, 11:50 am
Here is what I notice and I think we all will agree here. The search option here is a great tool and needs to be utlilized. I know everyone here is just itching to post something when they get tot the forum, but we need to because nothing like going into a thread and thinking well I am going to help out, but youo have answered the same question maybe 3-4 times. I love to help do not mind at all my knowledge pick my brain clean and I am sure the other pros, watchman, henchman etc will agree like we all see big jawn when he says use the search option already a thread on this ha ha ha lol.

THANK YOU!!!! brothers, we gotta keep THE FORVM clean and clear of all that excess thread, think of it as excess fat and waterweight, no one wants it, we want to get rid of that shit. to do so, the search function works wonders, now think of that as CUTS and Cardio, it does the trick, but it doesn't come easily, you need to work with those two items. Much like the search function, you gotta work with it and READ to see if your topic has been posted. I hate saying this, but all of us ANIMALS rip on and trash other people in the world for bein "lazy" but when you put up a new thread that already has a similar or exact same topic as you, you're becoming lazy. Lazy doesn't cut it here in THE FORVM or the gym or this live we endure. So ladies and gents, all we're asking is PLEASE use the search function to your advantage. Or if you want to think of it like the excess threads are little dumbbell islands that people just leave on the floor. WE ALL fuckin hate those people, so let's pick it up and carry on. there's my 2 cents for this thread

peace

ghost
02-28-07, 11:53 am
I'll be nice about this one.

EVERYONE has been e-mailed a copy of the Forvm rules. If you did not take the time to actually read it, that is not my fault. I know that Punisher took the time to write them, so you could take the time and read them.

For those of you that have NOT read them yet... here is the main problem that we KEEP seeing, even after people are informed.

10) Be On Point...
You're inspired... Yeah, great. But chances are, the thread you're gonna start or the question you're about to ask has already been posted here... Shit, and probably more than once. So do us a favor and use the search function. Trust us, we don't want to see another thread asking what music you listen to when you train or how much protein you should take... Understand? We also want you to pay attention to where you're posting. When you post in the wrong section, we gotta move that post and this will keep us from what we really want to do--contribute here on this forum. And we don't like that. Post appropriately.

in short. use the search feature. it will help EVERYONE in the long run.

Strength and Honor.

mgmmaze
02-28-07, 2:39 pm
you guys need to pin this in every section it seems

TheNaturalG
02-28-07, 3:46 pm
Was waiting for something like this to be stickied. Hopefully seeing how this forum is truly unlike most others, I hope it actually works. When I first started here I was answering tons of threads and typing long answers to. Now I keep seeing the same questions over and over in cycles taht have been answered already.

dtrain
03-01-07, 1:52 am
hat is a good idea hope everybody reads this one if they did not read the email ha ha . Good shit four star shit bro. I see people answering the same stuff numerous times.

Kiwi129
03-02-07, 12:08 am
Amen. I just recruited another member last night and made sure I told him to START WITH THE SEARCH BUTTON. He probably won't listen heh...

COLE
03-02-07, 10:44 am
Some Post I don't even need to bother opening. It's not that I don't care because I do, but I know just by reading the Title that someone has already answered with a "Do a Search" and you will find answers you are looking for.

C'mon Brothers and Sisters, If you have been here for more than a couple of post. I bet you have read or heard a million times to do a search before you just start a new Post.

For those that don't know or that are new to the Forvm, please Read all rules first thing. This apparently cant be stressed enough. You should do this before you even think about starting a new post period.

Once you have read the rules and see that you need to do a search using the search option provided at the top of your page, please do so before you ask a bunch of questions that most likely have already been covered several times.

Maybe we need to reply to this post every time we see someone ask a question that is followed up with the answer "DO A SEARCH"

Brute Strength
03-22-07, 6:51 pm

Definetly, i always see these pains articles when you can look up one and it has all the info in them? i search before i post.

JUGGERNAUT
03-22-07, 6:56 pm
I'm so hardcore I search google before I post here haha! Thanks for the post though, it's a common; never ending problem that seems to have some long roots.

dIdDy
04-02-07, 5:05 am

word, maybe we need Machine to write an article on it. maybe then all the Animals would listen:D

spanish.iron
04-02-07, 8:51 pm
this isn't animal in any sense... but I think all forum newbs should watch this.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Mean Machine
04-03-07, 3:59 pm
this isn't animal in any sense... but I think all forum newbs should watch this.

Hahaha nice video man. Really sums things up nicely. I gotta say though everyone has been a lot better lately. There don't seem to be nearly as many repeat threads.

loiacanoa
04-18-07, 8:43 am
wasn't there already a thread on this issue?????

hjayss
04-19-07, 4:13 am
wasn't there already a thread on this issue?????

LOL GOOD ONE BRO..

loiacanoa
04-19-07, 7:33 pm
:)

Phil800101
05-01-07, 7:35 pm
I just wanted to bump this thread. There seem to be a lot of new threads popping up about subjects that there are already pre-existing threads on, well, more so than usual anyway. As it has already been said, please use the search function before posting. The Watchmen and Henchmen do alot for us, the least we can do for them is to help make their jobs easier by taking the time to search before posting, so that they won't have to keep moving stuff and/or closing redundant threads.

Ricky P
05-01-07, 7:40 pm
Yeah I can't count how many times I've seen brandona close a thread in the last week.

brandonA
05-01-07, 7:42 pm
Thank you for the bump and solid words of advise....Also let it be known that you may recieve an infraction for starting a thread that is already in play... Or you post may be deleted or merged to an existing thread without notification. Use the search function, if you cant find anything but you are still not sure, P.M. a Henchmen or Watchmen...i would hate to have to give anyone an infraction for asking a question, so take a bit of time to search or P.M.

-B

spanish.iron
08-09-07, 8:06 pm

that was on the 1st page, but please... EVERYBODY, watch it. lol. Especially newbs. Make it a sticky or something.

Barron
08-09-07, 8:46 pm
yes, i agree, use the search engine but sometimes when you serach you gotta look through hundreds of posts.... and if yous would spend less time lecturing about using the search engine there's be a lot less posts too... instead of replying "use the search engine, read the rules.. blah blah blah"... use that post to answer someone's question instead of wasting your time and their

saint of the gym
08-09-07, 8:55 pm
I agree with what is being said, but sometimes the search isn't as clear as water... more like mud... you look for "deadlifts" or something and stuff not even close to it comes up. The search helps but sometimes its a more specific question to what they find and someone says... "SEARCH BRO" without helping... Ive done it, I searched and no answer, and then ppl tell me to search and my question was more specific then what was said in another thread.

ghost
08-30-07, 2:26 pm
people. there is a search function for a reason. To help cut down on the clutter.....PLEASE use it.

brandonA
08-30-07, 2:33 pm
people. there is a search function for a reason. To help cut down on the clutter.....PLEASE use it.

And if you still cant find it, send a PM to a Watchmen or a Henchmen...we are here to help....chances are very good that we have talked about it at least once....

-B

ghost
08-30-07, 2:33 pm
And if you still cant find it, send a PM to a Watchmen or a Henchmen...we are here to help....chances are very good that we have talked about it at least once....

-B

or twice......lol.

hjayss
09-01-07, 3:50 am
or twice......lol.

trust me do a search for bicep man or chest gonna se like ten threads..lol...

MassMonster
09-02-07, 10:10 am
trust me do a search for bicep man or chest gonna se like ten threads..lol...

more lke 20 bro...

hjayss
09-05-07, 7:27 am
more lke 20 bro...

I was being to nice huh..I am gonna start puting this thread on every one that is not using the search option...lol...

JMC
09-16-07, 8:54 pm
I know it may not be my place, but just a friendly reminder to some of the new folks. I'm seeing a lot of redundancy the past week or so, overtraining, fast food, etc. Remember to hit up the search function then ask the questions.

Giant Killer
09-16-07, 9:01 pm
We've been at this thing since January, so the idea is-very, very, very few new posts should actually be...new posts. Search for the topic you are asking about and ask it there. People will still look at "old topics" and answer your questions.

hjayss
09-18-07, 4:18 am
We've been at this thing since January, so the idea is-very, very, very few new posts should actually be...new posts. Search for the topic you are asking about and ask it there. People will still look at "old topics" and answer your questions.

Even beyond that you might answer it by reading...simple..stuff..even with the internet it appear some people are just lazy it is simple as broaden the search to fit your needs...

Big Wides
09-28-07, 4:26 pm
bump

JMC
11-06-07, 10:08 am

Bump once again...seeing a lot of redundancy lately....

hjayss
11-23-07, 7:05 am
bump...bump...

ReLoaDeD57
11-29-07, 10:07 pm
AGREED I do get tempted like everyone else to post something new or a question but just search the same thing you're looking for a few times and what you're looking for might or might not show up

Carpe Diem P.T
11-30-07, 4:50 am
with so many threads, over quite a time period, one could assume that everything possible has been covered. Posting a new topic here is a scary thing.

I searched tendonitis in the search box and got about 40 threads where people said they had it, but none explaining ways to train around it. I posted my topic, looked down through the other threads and there is another topic titled 'wrist pain'. lol its freakin tough ;)

Big Wides
01-25-08, 10:00 am
bump

Wasteland
01-25-08, 10:12 am
Here's a nifty Search feature you may not know about. You can refine your search, to look specifically for thread titles. Makes your searching a whole lot easier. Here's how.

1. Click on the "Search" button on the upper right

2. Instead of typing the word(s) in the blank box, click on the text "Maybe something more specific?" below that box.

3. Now you'll be taken to a new page where you'll have many more options. You can do a very specific key word search, looking at just thread titles, or entire threads. You can even select which specific section in the Forvm you want to search in, threads by date, sort results, etc.

4. Here's an example. Do a title search for the keyword "Torrent". If you use the regular search box, you'll get over 30 pages. Now try it the way I just described, looking for all threads with the word "Torrent" just in the title. Now you get about 4 pages. Now refine the search even further by only looking in the "Supplements 101" forum. Even fewer hits.

Try it out. It's a great way to find threads on specific topics that already exist. Good luck out there.

Cstlfx
01-25-08, 2:52 pm
Why thank you Wasteland. Good find and specific instructions.

So...if you search for something, find out that there are 100's of posts with your keyword, be more specific. Use Wasteland's tip.

Brute
01-25-08, 3:05 pm

Try it out. It's a great way to find threads on specific topics that already exist. Good luck out there.

You bet. I especially like doing "search titles only" as that narrows down my search results considerably.

Wasteland
01-25-08, 3:18 pm
You bet. I especially like doing "search titles only" as that narrows down my search results considerably.

Me too. Makes the Forvm much more accessible.

Wasteland
04-02-08, 12:05 pm
Here's a nifty Search feature you may not know about. You can refine your search, to look specifically for thread titles. Makes your searching a whole lot easier. Here's how.

2. Instead of typing the word(s) in the blank box, click on the text "Maybe something more specific?" below that box.

3. Now you'll be taken to a new page where you'll have many more options. You can do a very specific key word search, looking at just thread titles, or entire threads. You can even select which specific section in the Forvm you want to search in, threads by date, sort results, etc.

4. Here's an example. Do a title search for the keyword "Torrent". If you use the regular search box, you'll get over 30 pages. Now try it the way I just described, looking for all threads with the word "Torrent" just in the title. Now you get about 4 pages. Now refine the search even further by only looking in the "Supplements 101" forum. Even fewer hits.

Thought bumping this might be useful. It may help your thread from being locked or merged.

ghost
04-02-08, 12:07 pm
Thought bumping this might be useful. It may help your thread from being locked or merged.

That it can do, and many times, people forget to read the PMs that we send them, until after they PM us wondering where their thread went.. haha.

Universal Rep
04-02-08, 12:11 pm
Whether your old or new, let's be mindful of the search function fellas. Unlike on other forums, the management here doesn't want the clutter of hundreds of threads on the same exact topics. The Watchmen and Henchmen are on the lookout for redundant threads. So before you start a new thread, especially one that you think is pretty popular, do a search by title or post. In the long run, it helps out all the members, cuz when you're looking for a topic, it's easier going through a few key ones, than hundreds of the same ones. Thanks.

callme47
04-02-08, 11:29 pm

I agree

steelarms
04-03-08, 10:02 pm
this SEARCH function is great. It helps me find the stuff that I'm looking for in helpping me reach my goals.

rbh84
04-15-08, 5:36 pm

I dont know how the search works, like if it searches for key words your searching for in the actualy post or the subject line. I am not sure. I can seem to ever find what I am looking for,because of what people type up. All I know is it would make it nice is if when people write there post they put something actually helpful in the subject line rather than trying to make up some amazing headline would be great and very helpful.

Carpe Diem P.T
07-18-08, 11:02 pm
Apparently I am retarded because i try to use the search function and I always come up with nothing helpful.

Does everyone else find it useful and easy to use?

Pizzalamp
07-19-08, 1:27 pm
i do not find it easy to use

atrain11b
07-19-08, 1:32 pm
I love it, I always seem to find exactly what I am looking for everytime. It works better if you go to advanced search and select search title only and throw in the exact "keyword" you are looking for. Thats how I do it anyways.

Fury317
07-19-08, 1:40 pm
i cant use it either....but Im not very computer savy haha

ghost
07-19-08, 3:16 pm
i find exactly what i need to..

if you are having problems, please feel free to PM any of the watchmen with your questions and we will be more than glad to help you find what you are looking for.

Wet and Squirmy
07-19-08, 4:59 pm
I always find it easier to get the topic I'm searching for if you go to the last page of the search results with a high volume search, then work backwards from the last page. It usually turns up on the last or second last page.

I always found what I need and never had any problems.

killyouintheface
07-20-08, 10:25 am
I've not had any problems with it.

Use the advanced search. You can narrow things down a little more, and whittle the list down to where it's a more manageable task to sift through it.

Also, you might want to set it to search for posts instead of threads, depending on what you're looking for.

brandonA
08-01-08, 5:27 pm
Time to bring this back to the fore front. We all need a reminder every now and again that the questions we have on our minds may have already been asked....

-B

Big Wides
08-15-08, 10:31 am
Seeing a lot of redunant threads about topics that have been posted before. Please use the search function

GJN5002
12-22-08, 12:42 pm
Bump this post.

There are way too many questions being posted on this forum that have been answered mutliple times and answered very well by knowledgeable people. I understand we all start somewhere and dont all have the same knowledge but its becoming aggravating to see the same questions posted over and over.

Just my two cents

simpleguy
12-22-08, 12:46 pm
I know others have said it before, but you really will have a much better chance of finding what you want when you use the advanced search ('maybe something more specific?')

say you are a beginner trying to find info about the squat... if you only type squat, you'll probably get loads of threads here, some of them personal logs, where the word 'squat' has been used (yeah virtually in every log)... instead use the advanced stuff, and select to only search titles

Wasteland
01-07-09, 1:50 pm
I know others have said it before, but you really will have a much better chance of finding what you want when you use the advanced search ('maybe something more specific?')

say you are a beginner trying to find info about the squat... if you only type squat, you'll probably get loads of threads here, some of them personal logs, where the word 'squat' has been used (yeah virtually in every log)... instead use the advanced stuff, and select to only search titles

Definitely true. The Advanced Search ("Maybe something more specific?") is a thing of beauty. I don't bother to use the basic Search feature anymore.

FUNKYZOMBIE
05-06-09, 1:55 pm
I'm new and still learning... and this helped. Thank you!

Wasteland
05-20-09, 4:40 pm

The trick is and always will be how members title their new threads.

fenix237
12-02-09, 3:43 pm
i've been a member here for over a year now, so i do see the repetitve threads/posts/questions which we are trying to reduce. i got to thinking that some threads (with the OP's okay) should be deleted- i have a couple threads i started that could be deleted and i don't think important information will be lost

for example threads like:

1. i ended up eating to much at a family reunion last night- what should i do?

2. what's the name of that song that is in joeblows posing video?

3. i injured my shoulder doing behind the neck presses

4. KFC is offering free chicken on tues the July 17th!!

these are just a couple of examples- i'm not criticizing the OP's intentions, just that as the Forvm grows and expands, i'd like to see nothing but relevant, intelligent questions and answers that contribute to an archive of great value

peace- bibendum

Beowulf
12-02-09, 3:54 pm
My top ten list of the most common thread topics/questions.

10. I'm eating a lot but I'm not gaining any weight.
9. I've got girl problems. Help!
8. What do you guys listen to when you train?
7. How much ______ is too much? (fill in with cardio, milk, eggs, tuna, whatever)
6. I have this injury, what should I do?
5. I'm stuck at a plateau on my _______, help!
4. How can I get cut while gaining muscle?
3. How's my supplement stack?
2. What do you think of my diet?
1. Can you comment on my split?

Feel free to add yours.

skychof09
12-27-09, 4:23 am
Had a model C, bought for £500, but it became a clothes airer So sold after 2 years for £420. Now on Model Ds at the gym.

Wish I had had time to use it at home though.