View Full Version : help reducing calories

MRmichael.hooker
10-07-10, 2:38 pm
Here are my current calorie totals:

DAILY TOTALS:

CALORIES: 3,478

PROTEIN: 412g

CARBS: 170g

I don't know exactly my calories from fat, I know i'm getting around 360-370 (all my fats come from Udo's Omega Oil, Animal Omega and tilapia). I have dropped down to around 211 and have hovered there for a few weeks now. I want to slowly start dropping calories to keep the fat coming off, but not sure where to lower. My protein is about 1.9g per lb, and my fats are moderatly high (which has helped because I have grown into my diet) and my carbs are already on the lower side. Advice, tips, w/e is appreciated. Thanks guys

kryptiq
10-07-10, 3:01 pm
What are your goals with those totals? Trying to maintain what you've got or continue building?

MRmichael.hooker
10-07-10, 3:04 pm
What are your goals with those totals? Trying to maintain what you've got or continue building?

no, ive gone from 246-211. Bodyfat from 26% (super high, i know, but all i had in iraq was weight gainer shakes) to 16%. Been at 211 for a few weeks now. Prepping for a show, still a while to go and thats the goal, slow fat loss so it stays off and i can hold onto more muscle. Im not aiming for a date, im aiming for a bf% goal THEN i'll look for a show.

C.Coronato
10-07-10, 3:04 pm
Can you give us a break down of your full diet?

MRmichael.hooker
10-07-10, 3:10 pm
Meal 1: 9 egg whites, 2 whole, 1/3c oatmeal with 1 TBL udo's oil & 1/2 a banana

Meal 2: 7 oz Tilapia, 1/2c green beans, 1/3 c brown rice

Meal 3: 7 oz Chicken, 1/2c broccoli, 1 c b. rice , 1 TBL udo's oil

Meal 4: 2 scoops Myofusion protein, 8 blueberries, 3 strawberries, 1/2 banana

Meal 5: 7 oz Chicken, 1c salad , 1 TBL udo's oil

Before Bed: 2 Scoops Myofusion protein, 1 TBL udo's oil

PRE: 25g whey isolate
POST: 50g whey isolate, then solid around a hour later (99% of the time it is either meal 2 or 3)

C.Coronato
10-07-10, 3:24 pm
Personally .. What i would do is pull out the Oil, keep in the Omega, also pull out the fruit (in an every day case, i would say keep the fruit, but when trying to get your BF low for a show, i was say pull it) I would also say try to limit the shakes. Are you having 4 shakes a day? Try to cut it back, have just a shake post workout, then whole foods the other times. It takes longer to process whole foods, and actually causes your metabolism to ramp up.

kryptiq
10-07-10, 3:32 pm
Personally .. What i would do is pull out the Oil, keep in the Omega, also pull out the fruit (in an every day case, i would say keep the fruit, but when trying to get your BF low for a show, i was say pull it) I would also say try to limit the shakes. Are you having 4 shakes a day? Try to cut it back, have just a shake post workout, then whole foods the other times. It takes longer to process whole foods, and actually causes your metabolism to ramp up.

Agreed I would pull the fruit a few weeks out from your show, the oil seems to be the main issue here as well as the amount of shakes you've included.

MRmichael.hooker
10-07-10, 3:35 pm

yeah my first thought was cut out the fruit. and what I was planning on doing was first cutting out the fruit, then when the weight stopped coming off again, switch the mid-day shake for solid protein and that would revamp it up again. One ? is if i cut out the omega oil, that is over 300 cals from fat im taking out. wouldnt that put my fats awfully low?

PIJW
10-07-10, 3:39 pm
I would like to suggest make sure you have you carbs in all before lunch, and try to lower that down some, 170g of carbs seems high to me, but i have been keeping my LOW around 20ish on low days and upwards of 60ish on high days(thanks wife) and it has seemed to work well for me.

MRmichael.hooker
10-07-10, 3:46 pm
I would like to suggest make sure you have you carbs in all before lunch, and try to lower that down some, 170g of carbs seems high to me, but i have been keeping my LOW around 20ish on low days and upwards of 60ish on high days(thanks wife) and it has seemed to work well for me.

i dont want to start cycling yet though, im a long ways out and like ive said, i have lost 30 lbs since May. Im not huge on the low carb stuff because I always look better and fuller with carbs. My metabolism can take brown rice very nicely. And i honestly cant take all carbs by lunch. I leave for gym either at 830am or 1030am everyday, so id be up at like 4am everyday, which would be fine but i dont even get home till close to 10pm everynight lol

Pizzalamp
10-07-10, 10:47 pm
yeah my first thought was cut out the fruit. and what I was planning on doing was first cutting out the fruit, then when the weight stopped coming off again, switch the mid-day shake for solid protein and that would revamp it up again. One ? is if i cut out the omega oil, that is over 300 cals from fat im taking out. wouldnt that put my fats awfully low?

u def dont want to have your fats too low
i never understood why people have such low fat intake in their diets
fats help u burn fat build muscle and keep u healthy
im ripped year round at 5-6% bodyfat and i eat a lot of fat all day

i think u should keep your protein the same at each meal-shoot for about 50g protein, and have 16g good fat at each meal-veggies at each meal-and in 2 meals have a small amount of blueberries or grapefruit
post workout have about 50g carbs...or on the days u dont lift eat those carbs with breakfast instead...once week have cheat meal
thats from the diet solution book by derek charlebois and ive used that diet and had great success

C.Coronato
10-08-10, 9:39 am

When im dieting for a show, the only fats i add in are 2 whole eggs in the AM and Omega. Nothing else has fat in it. When bulking and being healthy, yes good fats are good for you, as are fruits. But i personally wouldnt suggest so much fat while trying to get very lean. That is my opinion and for the past two years of competing, thats worked for me. Pizzalamp has different opinions .. just see what works for you my man. If your stalling, you have to pul cals from some where.

MRmichael.hooker
10-08-10, 11:52 am
When im dieting for a show, the only fats i add in are 2 whole eggs in the AM and Omega. Nothing else has fat in it. When bulking and being healthy, yes good fats are good for you, as are fruits. But i personally wouldnt suggest so much fat while trying to get very lean. That is my opinion and for the past two years of competing, thats worked for me. Pizzalamp has different opinions .. just see what works for you my man. If your stalling, you have to pul cals from some where.

I have about a weeks worth left of fruit, so ima finish it because, i already bought it lol. Im gonna cut out the fruit, and drop the udo's oil to 1/2 tbs instead of 1tbs. that will pull out over 200 cals, which should be enough to continue my fat loss over the next few weeks, then i'll switch out the midday shake for solid protein, which will revamp my metabolism yet again. Then lower the udo's again to 1/4c, cutting out another 100 cals. When I stall again, cut out the udo's to only 2 meals, then eventually drop it all together. If I just pull it all out now, i'll have nothing left to drop later when I stall again

C.Coronato
10-08-10, 11:54 am
I like your plan my man. Finding what works, keep us updated and how it goes!

MRmichael.hooker
10-08-10, 11:56 am

O i will!

T. Kemble
10-12-10, 1:12 am
O i will!

hows it going so far since you changed things up bro?

MRmichael.hooker
10-12-10, 11:17 am
hows it going so far since you changed things up bro?

well yesterday was first day of lower cals, lol, so we will see. Im going to weigh myself in the a.m. then again next wed. usually I do it on sat, but I have national guard this weekend, so will be busy. I know weight doesnt really matter much, but its easy way to see if diet is working. goal is always about -1lb per week

MRmichael.hooker
10-23-10, 12:06 pm

It's been over 2 weeks since I dropped the cals. Dropped morning and midafternoon fruit, and dropped udo's oil from 1 TBL to 1/2 TBL. Haven't been on the scale in a while, but the mirror shows. My midsection is very much leaner. My obliques are tighening up nicely. Working great

NJC_Manhattan
10-23-10, 1:29 pm

x2. True words right there

pushin weight
10-25-10, 9:30 am
Good luck with the diet.I wish dieting was as easy as training.