PDA

View Full Version : Gym does not fit my schedule need help

tony4
10-07-10, 11:26 pm
i dont have the time in my schedule to go to the gym during their off peak hours, the trip to the gym alone is an hour.
So i decided to build my own gym in my basement. I want to mix it up and throw in machines and free weights as I feel the diversity of the two help build my body most.

Question is what machine(s) should i get?

I was looking into bodysolids leverage system seen here..
http://www.bodysolid.com/Home/item.cfm?id=249

I have Olympic plates that work with my dumbells and barbell for the free weights.

i will mix my work outs to incorporate both.

What do you guys think?

Zieben
10-07-10, 11:34 pm
That's a lot of cash to drop on a machine bro. Personally, I think you'd be okay with the dumbbells and barbells, and probably a bench with a leg attachment of some sort.

If you got the cash for it, and really want to invest, then it seems like a pretty versatile machine.

tony4
10-07-10, 11:41 pm
That's a lot of cash to drop on a machine bro. Personally, I think you'd be okay with the dumbbells and barbells, and probably a bench with a leg attachment of some sort.

If you got the cash for it, and really want to invest, then it seems like a pretty versatile machine.

only costing me 700 : ) for that leverage set up. then i will just buy some more plates to add on.

msktyshha
10-07-10, 11:49 pm
If I was you i would just get a power rack with a bench and a olympic bar and weights

Cellardweller
10-08-10, 1:49 am
Go with a power rack, an incline/ decline bench and some sort of multi leg attachment. That home gym thing is a beast. If you got the money and the space go for it, but I'm all about the basics. Add something once a year instead of paying gym dues and you'll be set for life.

T. Kemble
10-08-10, 1:53 am
heres an idea of a simple home gym you can put together.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=120&pid=576

best of luck bro

Chosen One
10-08-10, 3:02 am
I don't understand how time at home and how time in the gym are different? It's still going to take up TIME. Maybe you just need to find a routine that's quick and intense, something has to fit. Good luck.

JasonG
10-08-10, 3:45 am
I agree with making a home gym around a power rack. Then I'd get the leverage machine thing if space/money allows. That sucks there isn't a gym near you.

fenix237
10-08-10, 5:14 am
it's your choice of course, but i would take a power rack setup over that any day of the week- a rack allows you to do the MOST productive lifts

ontheEDGE
10-08-10, 8:06 am
Keep in mind too that a machine like that is nice but it will restrict your movement in all your lifts. I say get the power rack if you can, an incline/decline bench with leg attachment, and dumbbells. You can't go wrong and as long as you keep an open mind there are tons of exercises you can do with those 3 things alone. Chin up bar is nice too though! Good luck

D-NUTZ
10-08-10, 9:38 am
I don't understand how time at home and how time in the gym are different? It's still going to take up TIME. Maybe you just need to find a routine that's quick and intense, something has to fit. Good luck.

He mentioned in his first post that his drive to the gym is an hour. So training at home will save him 2 hours of driving.

Aggression
10-08-10, 9:50 am
heres an idea of a simple home gym you can put together.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=120&pid=576

best of luck bro

I think this will be a much better investment that what you're looking at, bro. Sure, a high-tech piece of equipment like the one in your first post would be nice, but when it comes to building a home gym, build it around the essentials. Barbell press is much better than that incline hammer press anyway. Do pullups instead that little lat pulldown mechanism. Squat instead of using that leg extension piece. Basics bro.

T. Kemble
10-08-10, 11:32 am
I think this will be a much better investment that what you're looking at, bro. Sure, a high-tech piece of equipment like the one in your first post would be nice, but when it comes to building a home gym, build it around the essentials. Barbell press is much better than that incline hammer press anyway. Do pullups instead that little lat pulldown mechanism. Squat instead of using that leg extension piece. Basics bro.

Yeah sorry for not elaborating i was beat last night. Simplicity wins and when you get big and strong and when you outgrow a machine, free weights and a power rack allow you to constantly try new exercises and add more weight without limits. I put the Elitefts rack up there because I know for a fact it's a quality piece that will last your whole lifting career without bending/failing.

500 dollars now and 500 dollars again every 5 years?

or 2 grand now and that's that?

not to mention Gym memberships go for 30-100 dollars a month, you pay for your home gym in a few short years anyways.

IRBS
10-08-10, 11:57 am
www.snpequipment.com Scott builds all my stuff and it is very high quality. Get a rack and DB bench from him and a Texas Power Bar and look on Craigs List for plates.

Much better investment than any machine you will ever find.

tony4
10-08-10, 2:18 pm
Thank you for all the replies, I have a hook up with Body Solid that is why I am looking at their catalog.

Following you recommendations I pieced together this.
Pro power rack - http://www.bodysolid.com/Home/item.cfm?id=489
Lat attachment - http://www.bodysolid.com/Home/item.cfm?id=490
Incline/ Decline Olympic bench with the leg developer (without the bench press attachment that is shown) - http://www.bodysolid.com/Home/item.cfm?id=42

reason for the lat attachment is so I can in corporate a bit of machinery at the end of my work out to make sure I really work them.

This is only running me $550...

I know these items wont be the only thing in my home gym in the future but just as a starting point until i can afford some more equipment.

what do you guys think?

Thank you for all the replies!

tony4
10-08-10, 2:19 pm
Also I have heard body solid equip is very durable has anyone had any experience with them?

fenix237
10-08-10, 4:10 pm
a quick google search shows they appear to be pretty solid. if it's what you want, pull the trigger, but it sounds like the main reason for wanting one is a steep discount...

tony4
10-08-10, 4:21 pm
a quick google search shows they appear to be pretty solid. if it's what you want, pull the trigger, but it sounds like the main reason for wanting one is a steep discount...

From what i was told they are good but you cant blame me for wanting to save a large amount of cash if i can.

Its the same thing as what other forum members posted...a rack is a rack.

IRBS
10-08-10, 4:35 pm
Its the same thing as what other forum members posted...a rack is a rack.

Not always, just depends on what kind of beating it will take. If its just you and the loads arent crazy high, youll probably be fine.

Sounds like youve made up your mind, go for it man.

fenix237
10-08-10, 6:01 pm
From what i was told they are good but you cant blame me for wanting to save a large amount of cash if i can.

...a rack is a rack.

not being argumentive, but that bodysolid is not a rack in any means

if you spend the same amount of $$$ on a power rack as you do on the Bodysolid, you're not saving any money. you would be saving big money if you otherwise would spend the retail $2200.00. again not being a smartass.

if you think about it, don't you think you would get bored with those same exercises/stations? free weights/barbells are timeless.

-plus a rack takes up a lot less space than that behemoth lol!

fenix237
10-08-10, 6:10 pm
i need to retract my last post about that rack- i thought you was referring to the original piece you linked to- good choice to get a rack bro! you will not regret it!