PDA

View Full Version : When your not at your best

pup
10-11-10, 3:17 am
Hey brothers the other day I was doing chest and just for some reason i couldnt push the weight I usually do. I usually do my three sets of 90kg at round ten reps each but this day i was struggling to get five out. What do all you animals do in this situation? Just keep on pounding or would you drop some weight and get your ten reps out?

Cheers bros

Pup

Back To Basics
10-11-10, 7:05 am
Drop a little weight so you can maintain great form while still pushing some heavy weight, if you are struggling to push out the reps try to hit 6 reps instead.. Have you been eating well or what bro?

Topher
10-11-10, 7:43 am
I was that way and figured out I needed some rest and more calorie intake. Done chest this morning and was the best and heaviest I've gone yet!!!

zubda345
10-11-10, 10:29 am
This happened 2 me once. I was on 55 kgs I dropped to 48kgs n then again I went for a set did bout 15 reps then again made the weight 50kgs n did all 10 but they were difficult. But I just continued my workout for the day and the next month I Increased the weight to 56 kgs n the set I did was good 1st was of 10 reps 2nd was of 10 reps last one was with a supporter went to 8reps.

Now I am at 72kgs n am gonna increase weight soon.

All in all I would say that it's not a big deal It's the game it happens nothing to be worried about. Just don't let it top ur mind up...

Cool...

Redbeard
10-11-10, 1:57 pm
It happens occasionally. Sometimes it's something as simple as not being well rested enough. Sometimes something's just not working right. Sometimes it's just for one set. Sometimes you just have to drop the weight a little that day. 10 pounds can make a world of difference. Just come back for your next workout and hit it the way you should. If it becomes a trend, re-evaluate your workload/volume, form, diet, and rest.

prowrestler
10-11-10, 3:21 pm
Hey brothers the other day I was doing chest and just for some reason i couldnt push the weight I usually do. I usually do my three sets of 90kg at round ten reps each but this day i was struggling to get five out. What do all you animals do in this situation? Just keep on pounding or would you drop some weight and get your ten reps out?

Cheers bros

Pup

when was the last time you took a few good days off to recover?

Chosen One
10-11-10, 3:44 pm
I say keep pounding, a coach once told me, you'll never get 315 without increasing the weight, I say grab a spotter get the 7 or 8 and have help with the last couple.

Aggression
10-11-10, 3:46 pm

Cheers bros

Pup

Shit happens. It can be attributed to several factors. Most of the time its something to do with your diet for that day/the previous day and/or sleep. When I have a bad day, I just lighten the weight a bit and hit it hard. Its only numbers bro. Your body doesn't know if its pressing 100lbs or 50lbs, only your eyes see the numbers. Just hit a hard workout, go home, refuel and go back in there next week ready to take souls.

Razor
10-11-10, 3:48 pm
This can be attributed to lots of factors. But you have to understand that this happens to everyone and i mean EVERYONE. It mostly happens from lack of sleep, stress, or lack of rest. When this happens to me it's usually from a long day of work or tossing and turning in my sleep. Have to just to try and get back at it the next training session with a slight chip on your shoulder.

Legacy
10-11-10, 5:49 pm
Shit happens, theres always next week

Cellardweller
10-11-10, 5:54 pm
Ironicly this happened to me yesterday on deads. I pulled 6 at 275 when I usually get 8-9. I kept the weight the same and only got 1. Previous day was an off day and I ate and slept awesome. The rest of my WO went fine. I think its good, for me anyway, to skip deads once a month.

Machine
10-11-10, 7:15 pm
You need to learn to look at problems as opportunities...the only thing more important than perception is perspective. I suspect you were at your low period in the Krebs Cycle...its the body's version of the power band.

I wouldn't have overreacted; I would have simply tailored my session to the natural direction it was taking all on its own. I would have gone with 5-8 rep range and tried to push a little more weight than usual. Please understand that there are many ways to generate training intensity...repetitions, weight (plus or minus), advanced training techniques, changes in rep speed or torque, etc. Any one of these factors can deliver you to the training promised land. The trick is to be effective at transitioning into and out of training modes depending upon that particular session, be flexible, be fluid, and be willing to think on your feet to drive aceptable outcomes.

Good luck

MACHINE

msktyshha
10-11-10, 8:12 pm
when was the last time you took a few good days off to recover?

The million dollar question!!!

pup
10-12-10, 2:08 am
Cheers for all the awesome info bros, im guessing that the 9 hour day at work wouldnt of helped me in the gym thats for sure. Next time this happens I will just listen to my body and take a little weight off and get my ten reps. Ive been eating really clean but could probably bump my carbs up a bit because lately ive been a little flat once gym time comes round.

Cellardweller
10-12-10, 7:48 am
You need to learn to look at problems as opportunities...the only thing more important than perception is perspective. I suspect you were at your low period in the Krebs Cycle...its the body's version of the power band.

I wouldn't have overreacted; I would have simply tailored my session to the natural direction it was taking all on its own. I would have gone with 5-8 rep range and tried to push a little more weight than usual. Please understand that there are many ways to generate training intensity...repetitions, weight (plus or minus), advanced training techniques, changes in rep speed or torque, etc. Any one of these factors can deliver you to the training promised land. The trick is to be effective at transitioning into and out of training modes depending upon that particular session, be flexible, be fluid, and be willing to think on your feet to drive aceptable outcomes.

Good luck

MACHINE

Thanks for the kick in the shorts Machine. I feel guilty now for not buckling down and making something of my set. Next time I'm not bitching out.