PDA

View Full Version : Build The Base

zHazzarD
10-11-10, 10:02 pm
Some of my Dads smartest words to help increase my bench. If anyone doesn't know what building the base means, it means in order to get your max higher, you must make the foundation strong enough to do the lift. For example if your going for a 225 max, then try to get 185 for 3x8. If your only getting 185 for 8x6x4 for example then continue working on the making your foundation strong and when you get 185 for 3x8, I'm sure you will be able to get 225 with ease, and perhaps more.

Build The Base.

Bayne
10-11-10, 10:57 pm
The first time I benched 315 I used a x15 x10 scheme. After warmups the first set would be 15 reps, and the second set would be 10 reps. I would pick 2 weights. Example would be 175lbs and 185lbs. Until I could get 175lbs x 15 on the first set, and then 185lbs x 10 on the second set, I wouldn't go up in weight. Then when I did the weights would be 185lbs and 195lbs. And so on. It takes time but I got a pretty solid foundation. When using new numbers you just keep doing max rep sets until you hit the goal rep.

pushin weight
10-12-10, 11:49 am
I use this technique to increase my bench strength. I pyramid up starting with 135 for 15 reps/185 for 10/225 for 8/275 for 4/315 for 1/then back down the ladder 275 for 1/225 to failure/185 to failure.i have made tremendous strength gains on my bench with this routine but i dont use it every week.

IcedAbz
10-12-10, 11:54 am
For me, i just see how i feel that day. If im leg-pressing 200kgs for 8 reps, and i feel i could have done a few more, ill throw another plate or two on, aim for 6. That's how i build my base. Whenever I can do something easier then before, i go heavier.

pushin weight
10-12-10, 11:57 am
For me, i just see how i feel that day. If im leg-pressing 200kgs for 8 reps, and i feel i could have done a few more, ill throw another plate or two on, aim for 6. That's how i build my base. Whenever I can do something easier then before, i go heavier.

Absolutely...

prowrestler
10-12-10, 12:58 pm
you get stronger off sub maximal weights. not randomly adding 5lbs to the bar and praying to god it goes up for some reason

zHazzarD
10-12-10, 1:06 pm
you get stronger off sub maximal weights. not randomly adding 5lbs to the bar and praying to god it goes up for some reason

Exactly my point

pushin weight
10-12-10, 1:32 pm

If your feeling good and strong whats wrong with upping your weight in any given workout at any given time?

prowrestler
10-12-10, 2:00 pm
If your feeling good and strong whats wrong with upping your weight in any given workout at any given time?

those days happen maybe 5 times a year.

whats wrong with training effectively 52 weeks a year?

mcbeast
10-12-10, 2:26 pm

I dont full agree with this.

Take advantage of those "5x" a year where you are really feeling "it". I was running a routine to hopefully throw 40 pounds on my deadlift in 12 weeks. 3 Weeks into it I was just feeling it, and pulled 585. 15 pound shy of my projected max. So whats that man? I evidently wasnt training hard enough. So now I know what my real strength is. So I re-assesed where I was at and went from there.

pushin weight
10-12-10, 3:40 pm

For me it happens alot more than 5 times a year,but im still building up to respectable weight limits for my size so im sure that will change with time.

I dont full agree with this.

Take advantage of those "5x" a year where you are really feeling "it". I was running a routine to hopefully throw 40 pounds on my deadlift in 12 weeks. 3 Weeks into it I was just feeling it, and pulled 585. 15 pound shy of my projected max. So whats that man? I evidently wasnt training hard enough. So now I know what my real strength is. So I re-assesed where I was at and went from there.

This is more of where im coming from.

IcedAbz
10-12-10, 11:35 pm
Personally, it depends on my day, my diet, my energy and my previous workouts. For example, a year ago, i used to dead lift 120kgs for 6 reps. ( Back when i was going hard out but im slowly getting there again ). I knew, back days, 12x 70, 10x 100, 8x 120... That's if my stretching and warm ups were good and I didn't thrash my back with other workouts. Usually, i go to the gym knowing what i can and cant do, i always push further though. BUT sometimes when i work out with real real strict form and heavy weights, i got nothing left in the tank at the end, and vice verse.