PDA

View Full Version : Set Back

Howitzer
10-13-10, 2:33 pm
Brothers and sisters! Howitzer has hit a wall. A few weeks ago I noticed my heart rate was much higher in the gym than normal. Every set I did sent my HR up to what it usually goes to for cardio (120-130). I thought this was odd. My friends said they had the same thing going on, but their heart rates quickly dropped back down to resting (55 for those bastards). Mine dropped back to 96 or there abouts. I was nervous about it, but decided it might go away. I'm about to turn 24. I checked myself for other symptoms of a heart problem (as I am a paramedic) and couldn't find any.

Fast forward 2 weeks. Problem didn't go away. Continued to interfere with performance at the gym. Making me really nervous. I asked a friend of mine who is also a paramedic to take my pulse. He told me to get into the doctor. So I went yesterday. I had a clean EKG, he took bloodwork, and did an overall assessment with history.

Basically I have a tremendous amount of stress (which I thought the gym was helping out with) and it's driven my heart rate up from the normal low 70s. The doctor wants to be sure, so he said no supplements. I told him all I took was a vitamin (PAK) and some aminos and protein powder. He said take nothing, not even my morning cups of coffee. Until my bloodwork comes back he wants me to run a trial where I just drink my gallon of water a day (he approved of that) and eat healthfully. He also said the gym shouldn't be a problem.

Since talking with them, my pulse has come down considerably. I think it is stress (and thinking about my pulse. If you have a little bit of medical knowledge, it's always the least bad thing for other people, and always cancer for you)

So I'm going more old school than I originally anticipated. I need some help now brothers. I want to keep getting my protein and healthy foods in without the powder. Any extra whole foods that you guys would recommend? I'm about to leave for the store to pick up a fresh gallon of milk and some veggies, but what more? Hopefully I'll be able to get that last 40-60 grams of protein in with powder again in a couple of weeks.

Howitzer

mritter3
10-13-10, 2:40 pm
sorry to hear about that man...maybe its a blessing in disguise...every year i take 2 months completely off supplements to give my body and kidney's a well needed break...i really think it helps...as far as food sources...i personally like ground beef...cause you can buy in bulk for cheap, london broil is always good, tilapia, tuna, chicken, and eggs, those are my main sources of protein, as far as carbs go i like good ole brocolli, salads, rice, beans, edamamme, quinoa, and throw in some bananas, apples, kiwi, melons...also some nuts like almonds, peanuts, walnuts are good choices for some healthy fats...i ya cottage cheese, yogurt, and peanut butter...ok im done.

PIJW
10-13-10, 2:45 pm
sorry to hear about that man...maybe its a blessing in disguise...every year i take 2 months completely off supplements to give my body and kidney's a well needed break...i really think it helps...as far as food sources...i personally like ground beef...cause you can buy in bulk for cheap, london broil is always good, tilapia, tuna, chicken, and eggs, those are my main sources of protein, as far as carbs go i like good ole brocolli, salads, rice, beans, edamamme, quinoa, and throw in some bananas, apples, kiwi, melons...also some nuts like almonds, peanuts, walnuts are good choices for some healthy fats...i ya cottage cheese, yogurt, and peanut butter...ok im done.

Well that list could not get any better for shopping, now i need to figure out how to slip that into my wife list, HAHA.

Sorry to hear about that hope everything works out for ya and as i mention that is a great list to start with.