PDA

View Full Version : Inner Upper Chest

sideburnz
10-20-10, 2:00 pm
Bros, I've gotta pretty decent chest,the lower,mid and outer upper chest are well developed but the inner upper chest isn't the standard i want it to be right now. There's good centre separation of the pecs from the lower to the mid, but at the top the separation just isn't there. I usually do incline db bench for upper chest but i only feel and see results on the outer of my upper chest.A lil weird but yeah.So i'm thinking if i should do a slightly closer grip on an incline bb bench & on the negatives bring it all the way down till it touches the pecs? Need your feedback & advice badly. Chest day is around the corner. Thanks Animals.

prowrestler
10-20-10, 2:40 pm
muscle attachment. sorry.

all you can do is add muscle mass to your chest and it will fill out over time

Beach91
10-20-10, 3:50 pm
Yep, you cant change the way the pectoral attaches or genetically is shaped, you can add mass to the area though, incline presses, inc. dumbell press and incline flys AND overall chest work, but you can't pre-determine where it will go

sideburnz
10-20-10, 4:04 pm
I get it but do you think doing instead of the conventional grip,incline BB benches with a closer grip would make more sense??

boyer77
10-20-10, 4:10 pm
I have the same issue and I have been concentrating more on using DB and dropping the bench to about half way between a 45 and flat. I have also incorporated reverse grip flat bench which has really targeted my upper pecs. Don't go too heavy or you will get more tris into it... Hope that helps!

prowrestler
10-20-10, 4:14 pm
I get it but do you think doing instead of the conventional grip,incline BB benches with a closer grip would make more sense??

no. its actually a stupid idea when you get rid of the "bro" science

close grip = more tricep involvement. there is no such thing as inner or outer pecs, there is an upper and lower head. your focus should be to incline bench 100lbs more then you are right now for 10+reps. eat 2 grams of protien per lb of bodyweight and enough cals to ensure weight gain.

boyer77
10-20-10, 4:16 pm
I like that Pro... "bro" science...so true!

MrMonday
10-20-10, 5:16 pm

close grip = more tricep involvement. there is no such thing as inner or outer pecs, there is an upper and lower head. your focus should be to incline bench 100lbs more then you are right now for 10+reps. eat 2 grams of protien per lb of bodyweight and enough cals to ensure weight gain.

Although I would echo prowrestler's suggestion to simply take your incline benching to the next level strength-wise, there is something to be said for improving the shape or fullness of certain muscle groups by emphasizing the overload on the stretch or contraction during exercises.

Littlefry
10-20-10, 8:34 pm

Yea, bb.com has to much broscience flowing thorugh it lets try to keep that crap out of the forvm. I have to agree though there is no inner and outer pec, only a upper/lower head. Sadly its probably genetics and you will have to work 2x as hard to develope it. But, hey busting ass is what you should be aiming for anyways.

sideburnz
10-21-10, 4:32 am
sorry what's this 'bro' science all about??

never_2_big
10-21-10, 6:12 am
I remember reading an article in MD about roelly winklar and how his upper chest was lacking the same oomph as the lower region. He said he utilized the guillotine style incline press to swith the line of movement and therefore change the muscle mechanics to focus more of the upper portion of fibres.

He has a pretty good chest!!!

SpankyC
10-22-10, 12:53 am
With Incline Dumbbell presses, change your hand position, change it to a position so your doing a fly motion, dont extend your elbows too much out like a fly though, go down just like a press, stretch it out deep, then press and squeeze your upper,outer,inner chest like crazy....that movement is really the only movement that adds mass to my upper pecs.....