PDA

View Full Version : Uneven chest

dandrea101a
10-23-10, 1:53 am
Last year i had shoulder surgery on my right shoulder, and once I got back into lifting I feel like my shoulders the reason my left pec is bigger then my right, although my form feels identical. Obviously its giving me different results. So ive been doing uni-lateral sets with dumbells for incline and flat bench trying to catch my right pec up to my left. Is this the most efficient way, or is this even a good idea..? thanks guys.

zubda345
10-23-10, 2:44 am
Welcome to the Forum Brother...

I've once seen case like this. The man had some problem in his shoulder, He was new to workout. Some one told him to do bench with low weight one one side of the bench (The side which is injured). Now I am just sayin that I've seen this but I don't think this is gonna work n I don't know what happened to that person cause I left that gym....

dandrea101a
10-23-10, 11:06 am
alright, thanks. Any other input guys? This shits bugging the hell out of me, dying to get it even.

dandrea101a
10-24-10, 5:13 pm
Bump

jeff00z28
10-24-10, 5:55 pm
ittl correct itself over time. i used to be ridiculously unsymmetrical on every bodypart

dandrea101a
10-24-10, 6:31 pm
over time yeah, but should I maybe just do some slight unilateral or slight focused training at the area where it lacks?

Juggernaut_Jones
10-25-10, 4:25 pm
I have the same problem (although...due to ??? and not surgery). My left lat is bigger and it is driving me insane.

bigchuck000
10-25-10, 10:34 pm
I had hand surgery and am in the same sort of boat. I had some problems after so I was forced to do dumbbell work.
I would just stick to dumbbells or a machine that puts weight on each side, like a hammer strength press. so the strong side doesnt do all the work

JasonG
10-26-10, 3:40 am
I just saw a video with Cedric McMillian on MD where he stated he had a lat imbalance. He stopped training one side until the other caught up then he would train just the slower growing side every few workouts after that to maintain. Maybe you could incorporate something like that.

Howitzer
10-26-10, 3:51 am
Is there a strength imbalance? My right lat was much much bigger than my left, but you definitely don't want to train a pec unilaterally. That is a recipe for screwing yourself. Those muscles are designed to work in unison. What I did for my lat, and suggest doing for your chest, is continue hammering away at them together, just the same. If there is a strength difference, exercise both only as much as you can exercise the weaker one until there is no strength difference. Then hammer them together. Pounding out asymmetry takes time. Years even. Working out pecs unilaterally though is setting yourself up for injury though (shoulder, pectoral tear, pulls, etc) and that would set you back much farther.

Howitzer

dandrea101a
10-27-10, 2:32 pm
Is there a strength imbalance? My right lat was much much bigger than my left, but you definitely don't want to train a pec unilaterally. That is a recipe for screwing yourself. Those muscles are designed to work in unison. What I did for my lat, and suggest doing for your chest, is continue hammering away at them together, just the same. If there is a strength difference, exercise both only as much as you can exercise the weaker one until there is no strength difference. Then hammer them together. Pounding out asymmetry takes time. Years even. Working out pecs unilaterally though is setting yourself up for injury though (shoulder, pectoral tear, pulls, etc) and that would set you back much farther.

Howitzer

hardly a strength imbalance at all. just going to focus on strictly free weight bench and db's. thanks though dude appreaciate it.

Howitzer
10-27-10, 2:34 pm
Try to look at that as a boon then. Dumbbell chest press, for me anyway, skyrocketed my strength gains. Cheers man. Keep us updated.

scals
10-27-10, 9:59 pm
I think what youre doing is the best thing you can do for it. Keep hitting it with the dumbbells and it will work itself out.