PDA

View Full Version : Mass to triceps?

Shark52
10-25-10, 12:02 am
Pretty sure this is already on here but i figured id make my own. I havent seen good results with my routine so i want to ask the animals how to big. How do i ass mass to my triceps. What exercises and what rep and set ranges should i be shooting for?

SomeDayI'llBeXL
10-25-10, 12:18 am
Close grip bench, both flat and incline..bb extensions to the throat, forhead and behind the head, JM presses and Tate presses for heavy movements. I do 3 or 4 sets for 5 reps.

Pushdowns with various handles, db rollbacks, bodyweight dips and close grip push ups are what i use on DE days. Reps are usually in the 15-30 rep range and ill do maybe 5 sets when im feeling good. If Im reay feelin froggy, Ill do timed sets. Ill pick a weight, say im doing pushdowns and ill do them for one complete song on my ipod. A few weeks ago, i did close grip push ups for the entire length of "Almost Easy" by Avenged sevenfold and they were smoked the entire week

Hope this gives ya some ideas

Good Luck Brothers

felipelpr
10-25-10, 5:34 am
Close grip bench, both flat and incline..bb extensions to the throat, forhead and behind the head, JM presses and Tate presses for heavy movements. I do 3 or 4 sets for 5 reps.

Pushdowns with various handles, db rollbacks, bodyweight dips and close grip push ups are what i use on DE days. Reps are usually in the 15-30 rep range and ill do maybe 5 sets when im feeling good. If Im reay feelin froggy, Ill do timed sets. Ill pick a weight, say im doing pushdowns and ill do them for one complete song on my ipod. A few weeks ago, i did close grip push ups for the entire length of "Almost Easy" by Avenged sevenfold and they were smoked the entire week

Hope this gives ya some ideas

Good Luck Brothers

well, I prefer lower reps
8-12. I love cable one arm tricep extension with reverse grip
http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/cable-one-arm-tricep-extension

it's really the deal for my triceps.

mritter3
10-25-10, 9:02 am
i really like working on my tri's...and to add some size to them i go with cgbp, heavy skulls incline, flat, and decline, and some weighted dips...i may throw in some heavy pushdowns from time to time...but these 3 are a must.

Razor
10-25-10, 9:19 am
heavy skulls incline, flat, and decline, and some weighted dips...i may throw in some heavy pushdowns from time to time...but these 3 are a must.

Right on bro! My triceps really started filling out as soon as i went heavy on everything. Heavy skulls and Heavy Overhead pulleys did me in easily. Still staples to this day.

Beach91
10-25-10, 9:21 am
Any pressing movements will help, as the Tris are forced to work hard during chest n shoulder sessions. Close grip presses and triangle/diamond pushups on Tricep days will work as well.

During Tricep workouts, tryout Decline skullcrushers, focus on form and feel and not necessarily the weight.

Mostly though, as with any muscle, consistency is key, consistencty in training it, resting it and feeding it with the proper nutrition to help it grow

Aggression
10-25-10, 10:01 am
Here is a tried and true tricep routine that I use. I may tweak an exercise or sub a similar exercise in, but for the most part, it goes like this:

Pressdowns: 2 warm ups, 3 heavy sets (8-12)
Close Grip Bench Press (BB or Smith): 3 x 6-12
Weighted Dips: 3 x F (~8-15 reps)

Sometimes I'll add in a set or two of single arm pushdowns. Simple and effective. Squeeze every rep of every set and it'll rock your work.

prowrestler
10-25-10, 3:25 pm
eat more calories, eat more protien.

get stronger on close grip benchs of various forms. pick 1 and stick with it. add 100lbs to it in the 10 rep zone

jrh0341
10-25-10, 4:49 pm
Go HEAVY with high reps.

Go HEAVY - If you tricep size, this is KEY. I mean, pick heavy excercises like dips and close bench over your lighter stuff like kickbacks. Of the three heads of your triceps, the long head is by far the largest. Thus, making sure you really hit the long head on all your excercises will give you the most overall girth. Since that long head is the biggest and strongest of the three heads, picking excercises with a very heavy load forces that long head to step up and move weight. Close grip bench, Two handed overhead tri extensions (seated), weighted dips (with your elbows into your sides), heavy pressdowns (try a vhandle), skullcrushers, etc. Go big, put a heavy load on your tris and it'll put size on.

High rep - Here's what I mean, moderate weight high reps are what give you size. As a general rule it grows you the fastest. This doesn't change just because you need to go heavy on tris. So, pick excercises that are big, heavy excercises, BUT still make sure to set your rep range onthose excercise for 8-12.

ironshaolin
10-25-10, 8:21 pm
It depends on where you're at. You didn't list stats, so it might be different. For anyone with less than 14 or 14 1/2 inch arms, I would say just keep doing weighted dips, until you can handle at least 120lbs for 6 good reps. I'm sure it would be possible to even get HUGE triceps, using nothing but weighted dips, and getting to where you can handle some serious poundages. Have you ever seen someone put more than 150lbs on dips and bang out reps that had small arms?
If you already have decent size, and you've been working something basic and simple like that, thats the only time I'd reccomend adding in isolation moves like pushdowns, extensions, etc. Just remember that what works for a 300lb Olympian to add size will not work for joe regular. Joe average needs something simple and basic, like one basic excersise, and a goal. A goal should be to add at least 60lbs to whatever you're doing now in a basic move, then measure your arms and re-assess the situation.

PORTERHOUSE
10-25-10, 9:31 pm
It depends on where you're at. You didn't list stats, so it might be different. For anyone with less than 14 or 14 1/2 inch arms, I would say just keep doing weighted dips, until you can handle at least 120lbs for 6 good reps. I'm sure it would be possible to even get HUGE triceps, using nothing but weighted dips, and getting to where you can handle some serious poundages. Have you ever seen someone put more than 150lbs on dips and bang out reps that had small arms?
If you already have decent size, and you've been working something basic and simple like that, thats the only time I'd reccomend adding in isolation moves like pushdowns, extensions, etc. Just remember that what works for a 300lb Olympian to add size will not work for joe regular. Joe average needs something simple and basic, like one basic excersise, and a goal. A goal should be to add at least 60lbs to whatever you're doing now in a basic move, then measure your arms and re-assess the situation.

This is an awesome answer.

Shark52
10-25-10, 11:51 pm
thanks for the help fellas!!

Shark52
10-25-10, 11:53 pm

Sorry i didnt list stats
185 lbs
5'10
i do weighted dips but i never feel it too much, maybe i dont go heavy enough or maybe im going to heavy. I always have pushdowns, extension close grip, skull crushers. But im not seeing any mass growing i just seem to stay the same.

prowrestler
10-26-10, 1:09 am
Sorry i didnt list stats
185 lbs
5'10
i do weighted dips but i never feel it too much, maybe i dont go heavy enough or maybe im going to heavy. I always have pushdowns, extension close grip, skull crushers. But im not seeing any mass growing i just seem to stay the same.

what is your plan/ goal?

thats where 9/10 lifters fail. they dont have any plan to their training

Shark52
10-27-10, 12:13 am
well since its the winter im just trying to add mass and then thin out when the time comes.

prowrestler
10-27-10, 1:27 am
well since its the winter im just trying to add mass and then thin out when the time comes.

based on that, you have no plan. those are goals. ill cut the questions and give the detials...

i dont know what your split is, but i dont believe in an arm day. if you do triceps after chest or shoulders, pick your favorite close grip press. i dont care what it is.

now what your gonna do is 4 sets with a goal of 30 total reps. rest only 1 minute between sets. if you get 30 total reps, add weight, if not, do more reps next workout. to start, choose a weight you can get 10-12 reps on your first set with.

Shark52
10-28-10, 11:31 pm
based on that, you have no plan. those are goals. ill cut the questions and give the detials...

i dont know what your split is, but i dont believe in an arm day. if you do triceps after chest or shoulders, pick your favorite close grip press. i dont care what it is.

now what your gonna do is 4 sets with a goal of 30 total reps. rest only 1 minute between sets. if you get 30 total reps, add weight, if not, do more reps next workout. to start, choose a weight you can get 10-12 reps on your first set with.

Much appreciated brotha!!