PDA

View Full Version : How old do you have to be to attend Animal events?

BarbellManiac
10-25-10, 7:50 pm
How old? 18?

Cstlfx
10-25-10, 9:43 pm
How old? 18?

Do you mean events such as Animal Barbell Club events? Ours has had younger than 18 show up and I havent seen any age restrictions as of yet.

BarbellManiac
10-25-10, 9:59 pm
Do you mean events such as Animal Barbell Club events? Ours has had younger than 18 show up and I havent seen any age restrictions as of yet.

Yes that and the cage at the expo. It would be awkward though, standing next to guys who are 100 lbs heavier than you are and can lift 3x what you can.

Hercules
10-25-10, 11:11 pm
Yes that and the cage at the expo. It would be awkward though, standing next to guys who are 100 lbs heavier than you are and can lift 3x what you can.

Awkward???? Those are the guys you WANT to stand next to. Its called inspiration...

Cstlfx said it already: we've had guys of all ages attend our ABC Events. As a high school coach I recruit the young guys to encourage them to appreciate the beauty of the iron.

I look at it from this perspective: I'm the oldest guy at most of our ABC Events; I'm almost 33. There's a guy (boom) who squats a ton more than I can - at age 19! I could feel sorry for myself and wonder why I can't do that, or I can encourage and support him to achieve higher goals and focus on what I need to do to improve upon my lifts and further my training. Be selfish: focus on you and your own training.

Hercules
10-25-10, 11:17 pm
As a side note on ABC Events...

Some gyms require you to be a certain age before you train there. That may be the only 'problem' you may encounter.

Howitzer
10-25-10, 11:19 pm
I have to agree with Hercules. I can't wait till I find a nearby ABC event. I'll be a good 20 lbs lighter and a ton weaker than the average guy there (I think), but that's the kind of environment you want to be in. You gotta be able to see the results of the work others have done and know it's within your reach.

Howitzer

Birdman
10-25-10, 11:52 pm
Anyone is welcome bro, no matter what age or experience level you are. Shit, I'm only 19 and I'm a coordinator! Gyms usually require you to be anywhere from 14-16 (insurance reasons). And as far as the cage goes, no age limit whatsoever. Come on out and get inspired.

Cstlfx
10-26-10, 1:21 am

I compete at 242 in powerlifting meets and this is always the case. Hell, there are guys 100 pounds lighter than me that can lift more than me! It only makes me want to lift heavier.

Its a bit daunting at first, but it will only make you better. At my first ABC I was 205 and was lifting around McFly, Big Al, Vinny, and Powerfreak. Totally got my drive up and havent stopped.

BarbellManiac
10-26-10, 4:52 am
Damn, Now I'm inspired to attend ABC events in my area. Thanks guys!