PDA

View Full Version : Anti-flu vaccine?

100jan
10-26-10, 5:36 am
I was thinking of taking an anti-flu vaccine, just to make sure that I will not bother with that this winter. What do you think guys? Should I take it, or leave my body to fight with potential flu? Any experience or advice is appreciated.

BarbellManiac
10-26-10, 6:28 am
I would take it, your arm might be a little sore for a day or two, but it's worth it. Trust me, it's a real pain to train with a stuffy nose. If your taking the pack, training hard and eating right, your immune system should already be pretty strong, but taking precautionary steps are still good.

hjayss
10-26-10, 8:18 am
How old are you....those shots are putting the virus in your body then you are to fight it of with your natural immune system...if you are not someone who gets the flue then i would not do it.....if you are eating and dressing the right way it is not something you shoyld worry about.

100jan
10-26-10, 8:46 am
I'm 22. As BarbellManiac said I hate training with stuffy nose. Also, my appetite is going down when I have flu so my work-outs sucks.
hjayss - From the past 2 years that I'm training, every winter I had one minor flu, and at the end of the winter a "bigger" one with high temperature.Eating and dressing is right for sure, but still wanted to hear some opinions from the others here.

Flash419
10-26-10, 10:44 am
I did this once.. and will NEVER do it again.

All my life I get really sick once a winter. I am completely down and in bed for about 24 hours then I'm good the rest of the year. The year I got the Flu shot, I was sick 4 or 5 times that winter and each time lasted about a week, with at least a day or two when I was in bed, or walking around like the walking dead.

I know some people who swear by these, but my personal experience is if being sick isn't a constant problem for you all winter, then stay away from the shot and let your body do it own thing.

100jan
10-26-10, 3:29 pm
I hear you Flash. Thanks for sharing your experience. I've talked to people who said the same as you, and people with totally opposite experience. That is why I'm kind off "confused".

Cellardweller
10-26-10, 4:28 pm
The flu vaccine only covers ONE flu. There are many flues. The shot is the one they anticipate being the more common one. There's H1N1, H1N3, bird flu, swine flu etc. The flu is not just a drippy nose. That's the common cold. There's respiratory flu and there's intestinal flues. Respiratory flues involve bugger noses, coughing shit up, dehydration and fevers. This is something you'll be taking time off work/ school for. The shot gives you either a dead or weakened virus. You will experience mild flu symptoms after the shot as your body fights the easy fight and builds up antibodies. Mild symptoms are better than being fucked up sick for a week. For peeps on this FORVM having a sore arm shouldn't be a problem since most of us have pretty meaty shoulders. It's girls and guys with little or no shoulder muscles that have the soreness since they have nothing to absorb the shot in. End of public service announcement.

Howitzer
10-26-10, 4:58 pm
Cellardweller has the right idea. The flu shot cannot give you the virus, since it is composed of the protein shells that cover viral RNA (which together make you sick). The protein shell itself has the markers that your body recognize as foreign, and thus create antibodies. The virologists who make the flu shots pick the most likely few strains of flu to be most common in a given year using models, and then mix several of the strains into a single vaccination.

I have to get the flu shot because I'm a healthcare provider. As long as I get the shot, I haven't gotten the flu. You have to ask yourself if you're ready to pay the price the flu will take on you. A true respiratory flu does involve fevers, dehydration (vomiting/diarrhea) and being down for up to five days. That's a lot of time you're losing. Lot of mass you'll miss. Plus, even after you're no longer feeling like death, you'll be feeling shaky for additional days

I'd say the sore arm/ misgivings about receiving an injection are offset by the fact that you are likely to not get taken down for the better part of a week. A week you could be using to get bigger.

Howitzer

Cstlfx
10-27-10, 4:13 am
Its completely up to you. Do you often get the flu when it comes around? Are you prone to getting sick? If yes, then you should think about getting one.

I rarely get the flu whenever its going around so I've never gotten a flu shot. So for me its not all that beneficial if my body is all ready able to fight it off and I stay healthy enough.

100jan
10-27-10, 4:26 pm
Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate for the help.

Cstlfx- When the flu is around, I get it. Sometimes is just for one day, but sometimes it's up to week, and I can say, that week is a hell. I'm not able to train as I want, to eat as I need to.

kryptiq
10-27-10, 4:34 pm
I don't really get the flu so I rely on my diet/multi/training. Haven't gotten anything like a cold or the flu in a while...*knock on wood*

JasonG
10-27-10, 9:44 pm
I have to get the flu nasal spray and swine flu shot since I'm in the military. Even before I get these my immune system seems pretty damn good since I started training and taking the pak. I've had colds, strep, flu several times in my household and haven't gotten more than a cold.

100jan
10-29-10, 7:40 am
Thanks again for the replies bros, appreciate your help!