PDA

View Full Version : Barbell complexes....thoughts?

Deathride
10-27-10, 2:38 pm
Haven't posted a random thread for a while, so here it goes.....

Have been doing a bit of reading regarding the joys of barbell complexes and have seen mostly positive ones. I was wondering if anyone uses them here, if anyone has used them and thinks they're shit, and really what people think?

From my perspective, I got a good cardio workout and a half decent pump, but don't feel too knackered (no more knackered than if I go for a run) with the benefit that my feet and ankles don't want to shrivel up and drop off. I'm also quite fired up for my squat workout tomorrow so don't feel its hindered my energy levels by doing it on the off days....

Any takers?

shizz702
10-27-10, 2:47 pm
I used to do the Bear, which is take an empty barbell, power clean it, then front squat, then push press, lower it on your back then back squat it, then behind the neck press. That's one rep.

It is an insanely good HIIT workout, do 5+ sets of 5 of that with -1 min rest between sets and your heart will be moving lol.

suicidegripme
10-27-10, 2:49 pm
I used to do complex/circuit training as GPP work. Allows for a lot variations and keeps things interesting. Dumbells, barbells, kettlebells, sandbags, tires, bodyweight, whatever. You can get really creative and if youre schedule sucks, get in a good fullbody workout in quick. The only problem arises Ive noticed is when you beat the sh*t out of yourself too much on the GPP/Conditioning work, your strength training suffers.

shizz702
10-27-10, 3:12 pm
Sandbag complexes are also really good as are dumbbells.

You can take a moderate sized dumbbell and do one arm snatches for reps, light power cleans are also good. I aggree with suicide's comment though, you got to watch your recovery when implementing these things.