PDA

View Full Version : What is UP with my Doctor?

no f*ing around
10-29-10, 11:00 am
ok I do not claaim to be a dr at all, however yesterday I had my yearly physical exam. My dr told me I was overweight because I am 5'8" and I weight 200lbs!

Now here is the deal. I am at 16% BF.

Why does he say that?

Thanks

C.Coronato
10-29-10, 2:40 pm
Its based on old school measurements. http://www.annecollins.com/weight-loss/obesity-chart.htm

Check that out. There are guys much over their weight, with lower BF that arent "obese" but technically overweight.

no f*ing around
10-29-10, 3:17 pm
Its based on old school measurements. http://www.annecollins.com/weight-loss/obesity-chart.htm

Check that out. There are guys much over their weight, with lower BF that arent "obese" but technically overweight.

So do I only go by BF%?

C.Coronato
10-29-10, 3:19 pm
Go by what you feel is right. Dont measure yourself by the world as a whole, as if yo here, and working out, chances are you much more healthier than 95% of the world. 16% isnt a bad number my man. Im 5'6" 210 prob 15% or so and im def overweight as well. Its all about how you take care of your personal body.

no f*ing around
10-29-10, 3:27 pm
Go by what you feel is right. Dont measure yourself by the world as a whole, as if yo here, and working out, chances are you much more healthier than 95% of the world. 16% isnt a bad number my man. Im 5'6" 210 prob 15% or so and im def overweight as well. Its all about how you take care of your personal body.

ok thanks

Beach91
10-29-10, 3:39 pm
Yep, your doctor is going by generic charts that measure your Body Mass Index, a basic measure of your mass vs. your height.

Listen to Christian, its about how you feel and take care of your body, 16% isnt a bad no., could be a tad lower, but no worries

PORTERHOUSE
10-29-10, 6:12 pm
yea man thats exactly right, BMI will call bodybuilders overweight because it doesn't take into account bf%.

The problem your experiencing is because our health system is based on BMI, so if you don't fit the profile, your overweight. Technically, most of us in here are "overweight", but not obese.

The biggest bullshit about it though, is that insurance companies will use BMI and rate you as if you were obese. Either refusing to cover you or jacking your rates as if you were a health risk.

MRmichael.hooker
10-29-10, 6:38 pm
dude, i fail every single Army height/weight check. For 5'9, im suppose to be 175lb. Im around 215lb now and with under 15%. Like TTL said, its just old school measurements

Jay
10-29-10, 6:55 pm
Yea im 5'5 and approaching 200. Doc said I am overweight as well as he pointed to my midsection- yet I still have some abds showing. He said i should be around 150... f that.

Pizzalamp
10-29-10, 10:24 pm
maybe you are more than 16%
being heavy isnt the best for your heart and health
perhaps its time to lean down a bit
heart failure doesnt care about the glory of being a member of the 200 lb club

Mauricio
10-30-10, 7:16 am
you do know cardio is called "cardio" for a reason. go do that, fuck your doctor and fuck heart failure, keep training and eat what you're supposed to the only thing worse than being overweight is being underweight.

no f*ing around
11-01-10, 10:38 am
maybe you are more than 16%
being heavy isnt the best for your heart and health
perhaps its time to lean down a bit
heart failure doesnt care about the glory of being a member of the 200 lb club

wtf???

Maccabee
11-01-10, 4:25 pm
I checked out my status on the BMI Chart and I am considered obese. I am some what bulky, but I do not look like the typical obese person because I train.

These charts and standards dont apply to people like us.

Appollonian
11-01-10, 5:00 pm
wtf???

Get your BF% tested and maybe your cholesterol levels, too. If everything is in check, then maybe you should seek advice from another source.

At Pizzalamp, I agree that bigger is not always better. Just as 200 is one man's heavy, for another person it is relatively small (I am 6'5" and 200 is small for me). I try not to get hung up on a number, rather how I look, feel, and the numbers I post at the doc's test and the BP monitors.

Cellardweller
11-02-10, 4:27 pm
My doc pulled the same crap on me too. I'm 37 and can hit 315 x3 on a flat bench and can hit 315 x5 in the squat rack. How many of his other 37 year old patients can do that? I'm going to play it his way though and put my strength goals on hold and loose 20 lbs.