PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Cardio

Dhair
10-31-10, 11:30 am
I'm 17 about to be 18. I'm currently bulking up for competition coming June 2011. I'm taking a weight gainer and eating lots of whole foods. I'm taking in about 6,000 calories a day. I'm about 5' 7" And weigh 210 at the moment. I was wondering if i should do cardio even though im in offseason and bulking up. If so when should i do it and how long? thanks.

BarbellManiac
10-31-10, 11:56 am
2-3 times a day 30 minutes a day should be good, nothing hardcore, but it will help when your cutting later. Since you won't have to lose as much fat. Plus it keeps the heart and your cardiovascular system healthy.

rmt0512
10-31-10, 2:09 pm
2-3 times a day 30 minutes a day should be good, nothing hardcore, but it will help when your cutting later. Since you won't have to lose as much fat. Plus it keeps the heart and your cardiovascular system healthy.

I hope you meant 2-3 times a week.

BarbellManiac
10-31-10, 2:31 pm
Oops yeah that's what I meant. Thanks for pointing it out.

BERSERKER1
10-31-10, 2:51 pm
2-3 Times a week is a good start at least in the off season. I would recommend keeping a close eye on the gains you will make to ensure you are gaining the quality mass we all strive for. Not tryin to call you out or anything but I see you are 17 and well, when I was 17 i made the mistake of simply worrying about putting on weight without paying too much attention to what I was eating. Shit dude, I bulked up to 270 but I looked like shit. I would recommend you learn about the different body types and figure out which one you are so you do not make the same mistakes that I made a few years ago. Talk to a trainer or look in up on the internet, that would probably give you the best insight on what exactly your body needs to get to where you wanna go. How big do you plan on getting???

best of luck to ya brotha

C.Coronato
11-01-10, 2:20 pm
6000 cals is a damn lot my man. Whats the diet looking like now?

S. Clarida
11-02-10, 2:30 pm
agreed...damn 6k is a might expensive food bill.

But, I was never a fan of off-season cardio but that was because I was always underweight in the off-season. I do suggest it for people, 2-3x a week, even if's a treadmill walk or morning jog. I think I'm going to incorporate it into my off-season. Probably on wknds

6000 cals is a damn lot my man. Whats the diet looking like now?

Dhair
11-02-10, 6:02 pm
Thanks. Breakfast, egg whites or regular eggs i switch it up and oatmeal and about an hour later a weight gainer shake. Then lunch usaully bbq chicken breast and rice (Sometimes a burger).Weight gainer shake with lunch. Then weight gainer post workout. Then about an hour after postworkout shake i eat usually chicken and rice. Then for supper whatever my mom fixes. And another weight gainer before bed.

Pizzalamp
11-02-10, 7:35 pm
too many shakes
too many calories

Deathride
11-02-10, 8:38 pm
I was thinking the same thing. I'm 210 and 6,2...not by any means a competing bodybuilder, but if I ate 6000 calories a day, I think I'd pop an aneurysm or something!

Cardio a couple of times a week just to keep your conditioning there is fine (I'm currently in a phase using barbell complexes on my off days just to get the pulse up and a sweat on....)

Dhair
11-02-10, 9:37 pm
most people do 3 shakes a day. I'm doing 4. The reason is im in high school and cant get many meals in. So instead i do shakes. And as the calories go ive seen people with offseason diets that go up to 10,000 calories a day.

Mauricio
11-03-10, 4:42 am
6k calories is nothing brother don't get scared by people who can't count calories, as far as weight gainer goes i'd say you're being a bit lazy on that part. you can cook a few chicken breasts, sliced eggs and tuna get some good taperware and you're gtg. brown rice, ezekiel bread, cooked yams are the best for carbs just find the way to not be ashamed of carrying a cooler around school.

Aggression
11-03-10, 8:32 am
Get more whole food meals in. Relying on too many weight gainers will be detrimental to your growth. I'd rather see you eat a 700 calorie whole food meal instead of a 1,000 calorie weight gainer. Your physique will change for the better. As far as cardio, it all depends on your body type. If you're still looking lean, then don't bother. If you're a little thick and smooth, then 2-3x/week for 20-30min would be great.

C.Coronato
11-03-10, 10:55 am
too many shakes
too many calories

Agreed.

most people do 3 shakes a day. I'm doing 4. The reason is im in high school and cant get many meals in. So instead i do shakes. And as the calories go ive seen people with offseason diets that go up to 10,000 calories a day.

Who cares what other people do my man. 10000 cals is going to make a fat ass person.

If you want to make gains, you need to reevaluate your diet my brother. Shakes are understandable as your in school, thats fine, its good your getting the food in. I personally would suggest 2 weight gainers a day for you. Simply two times you cant eat whole foods.

Breakfast
(inschool) - Shake
Lunch
(inschool) - Shake
Post workout
Dinner

BERSERKER1
11-04-10, 2:38 pm
Hey man, just a heads up, I did the same mistake you are making right now......... Dude if you throw in a weightgainer shake here and there its ok but dont be so reliant on the shakes dude. The whole foods will provide you with much better results and "quality calories" i know its hard cause you are in school, but, if you do this I would guarantee you, you will see much much better results. think about it, Fraco, Arnold, Lou and Sergio never used a shit ton of weightgainer shakes take a look at how their respective physiques looked as opposed to the dudes today...... just some food for thought

Dhair
11-04-10, 3:36 pm
This looks very similar to what im doing.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/animalpak68.htm

cfail
11-07-10, 8:20 pm
You should prob try myozene bro. too many calories...... too many shakes.......

Altered Beast
11-07-10, 9:32 pm
This looks very similar to what im doing.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/animalpak68.htm

Avoid soda at all costs, just trust me.

To the young one, you can always bring sandwiches to school and can eat between periods. The only time shakes are best absorbed by the body is immediate post workout and a pure micellar casein before bed time.

Otherwise the body absorbs everything too quickly and urea production is rapidly increased. This can make you shit, throw off insulin and blood sugar levels and can wreak havoc on your kidneys and liver by over producing homocysteine levels in the bloodstream.

I understand the convenience of shakes, but your health in the long term should be your primary concern; especially if you are serious about becoming a for real bodybuilder. Nothing beats whole foods, period. There is no drug, protein powder or amino acid stronger than genuine whole foods.

blaine
11-09-10, 10:13 pm
other than the pt test im not doing any cardio this month