PDA

View Full Version : 5/3/1 vs 5x5

mk53220
11-03-10, 7:39 pm
For gaining brute strength what has worked for you best.. Will be pairing this up with hill sprints but when it snows will be doing stair sets and 100yrd shuttles. I am trying to gain my strength and cardio up for Rugby in the spring then Football (usa) next fall. Sprained my wrist early football season dropped 15lbs sitting at 195 right now.

pushin weight
11-03-10, 7:46 pm
For gaining brute strength what has worked for you best.. Will be pairing this up with hill sprints but when it snows will be doing stair sets and 100yrd shuttles. I am trying to gain my strength and cardio up for Rugby in the spring then Football (usa) next fall. Sprained my wrist early football season dropped 15lbs sitting at 195 right now.

Both are great routines,and when done properly will give you some very nice results.

mritter3
11-04-10, 8:43 am
i have been running 531 for about a year now....strength has gone up tremendously in all my lifts....def. would recommend it.

naturalguy
11-04-10, 9:19 am
I am a fan of 5/3/1, I've never tried 5 x 5 however

c-doll
11-04-10, 3:44 pm
You will likely see results with either program. But, you must consider which will help you more for your sport.

rmt0512
11-04-10, 11:28 pm
You will likely see results with either program. But, you must consider which will help you more for your sport.

Completely agree with the c-doll, it's all about what is best for you, but I've personally seen gains using both programs, perhaps moreso with the 5x5. Everyone's body reacts differently, so find what works for you.

Deathride
11-05-10, 12:59 am
Personally, I like the 5/3/1 program. I like having a day for a big lift where I can concentrate entirely on practicing that lift, perfecting it and shifting some weight....then working on assistance for that lift.....then moving on the next day.

But that's only cos I use it ;-) Both will make you bigger and stronger, the 5/3/1 just appeals to my logical mind more!

Howitzer
11-05-10, 1:20 am
I've never run a 5/3/1, but when I ran the 5x5 on a tight schedule I had tremendous gains in strength.

T. Kemble
11-05-10, 1:27 am
5/3/1 will keep you athletic and you will grow overall and keep you lean for the most part and the program has good and bad days built into it.

5x5 will make your primary lifts go up without a doubt but your body will grow like a powerlifter ie. thick traps, back, legs

both excellent programs. I like 5/3/1 better though for the aforementioned reasons

Big D
11-05-10, 9:34 am
5/3/1 will keep you athletic and you will grow overall and keep you lean for the most part and the program has good and bad days built into it.

5x5 will make your primary lifts go up without a doubt but your body will grow like a powerlifter ie. thick traps, back, legs

both excellent programs. I like 5/3/1 better though for the aforementioned reasons

who wouldnt want thick traps, back or legs??

T. Kemble
11-05-10, 11:23 am
who wouldnt want thick traps, back or legs??

i miss my traps :'(

i hate being skinny.

Big D
11-05-10, 2:02 pm
i miss my traps :'(

i hate being skinny.

you brought that onto yourself.. who in their right mind wants to be 198?? booooooooo

BamBam
11-05-10, 4:05 pm
you brought that onto yourself.. who in their right mind wants to be 198?? booooooooo

250+ FTW!! hahaha

As far as the question stated above, both program will provide results, or they would have just faded out one or the other, but both have remained staples. What you could do, is run 5x5 for a while, and then what you have built from there, add on and transform with 5/3/1.. just an idea. Don't ever take anything over the other when training bro. Just remember, it's not what you AREN'T doing that is what's going to work... learned that from OX

IN IRON,
BB-

ironshaolin
11-06-10, 8:55 pm
I've run both, they are both awesome. For me personally, I prefer 5/3/1, just because it provides a bit more variety. On the 5 rep week of 5/3/1, you're basically doing a 5x5 anyway, but then you also get 3 reps and 1 rep mixed in. Also, Wendler has made it a part of it to do hill sprints or the like 3 days on the program, so that may go with you. I found doing 3 sets of 5 with the same weight made me a bit more sore than 5/3/1, which may hurt the running.

suicidegripme
11-07-10, 11:25 am
Never ran the 5/3/1 directly but the set up is something similiar to one of Ive used in the past. For lifters with ADD and cant stand the montony of some 5x5's, 5/3/1 is a great program.

prowrestler
11-09-10, 3:52 am
5x5 for a newb.

any % program for new athletes is FUCKING STUPID. what are you basing the % off of? do you remember your first days training properly? its like you added reps in your sleep and weight every time you looked at a barbell.

a newb will gain off a linear program far better. texas method 5x5 is my pick

bu 5.3.1 is cool for guys that have actual maxes and wanna train smart.

suicidegripme
11-09-10, 9:36 am
5x5 for a newb.

any % program for new athletes is FUCKING STUPID. what are you basing the % off of? do you remember your first days training properly? its like you added reps in your sleep and weight every time you looked at a barbell.

This is a great f*cking post.

TheBeef
11-09-10, 11:33 am
I've ran the 5/3/1 program for a couple of cycles, but benching, deadlifting, and squating every week seems a bit overkill. I didn't make gains like I thought I would, and I think it may be due to that.

I respond better to leaving a target move for a couple of weeks, train the assitance exercises heavy, and come back to it after that.

I heard the westside boys use the conjugated method to get freaky strong, and if I remember right, they do not do their "big 3" very often, especially not every week.

Any thoughts?

(Not dissing 5/3/1 BTW)

Shukin
11-09-10, 7:50 pm
Thank you for this thread!

I had not heard of 5/3/1 before your question here, got the book yesterday and read it and tried it today, AWESOME!

Thanks,
Shukin

GC
11-10-10, 6:33 pm
Any competitive bodybuilders try 5/3/1 in their off season?

Deathride
11-11-10, 10:16 am
I've ran the 5/3/1 program for a couple of cycles, but benching, deadlifting, and squating every week seems a bit overkill. I didn't make gains like I thought I would, and I think it may be due to that.

I respond better to leaving a target move for a couple of weeks, train the assitance exercises heavy, and come back to it after that.

I heard the westside boys use the conjugated method to get freaky strong, and if I remember right, they do not do their "big 3" very often, especially not every week.

Any thoughts?

(Not dissing 5/3/1 BTW)

See, thats what I like about the 5/3/1....its simple, you practice your big lifts and get better at the technique of them, rather than 18 different variants of them. And as the Wendler says, you don't gain quickly.....its not a sprint, you're in the long haul.....

shizz702
11-11-10, 10:56 am
5x5 for a newb.

Texas Method is an advanced program, Starting Strength for the newbs.

ironshaolin
11-11-10, 3:51 pm

Any thoughts?

(Not dissing 5/3/1 BTW)

I use the 3 day method of 5/3/1. So, basically I hit every lift every 8 days or something. What works for me is that I can focus on that, and then do assistance based on my energy levels. I train martial arts as well, so if I know I have a tough training session later, or just did one, I can do the main lift, maybe 1 other thing and be done. If its a weekend and I got nothing to do, I go nuts. As Jim says, its only too much is you suffer vaginitis.

I ran Defranco's version of westside for a while. He used changing teh lower body ME lift every 2-3 weeks. My problem I ran into with that is if I'm not doing the lift, I don't get better at it. I.E, GM's help my squat and deadlift, but if I do them INSTEAD of squatting or deading, those lifts suffer. Squatting especially. When I did westside for skinny bastards, I would squat for 3 weeks, make improvements. Then dead for 3 weeks, and when I went back to squatting, I was right back where I started.

TheBeef
11-11-10, 11:25 pm
I use the 3 day method of 5/3/1. So, basically I hit every lift every 8 days or something. What works for me is that I can focus on that, and then do assistance based on my energy levels. I train martial arts as well, so if I know I have a tough training session later, or just did one, I can do the main lift, maybe 1 other thing and be done. If its a weekend and I got nothing to do, I go nuts. As Jim says, its only too much is you suffer vaginitis.

I ran Defranco's version of westside for a while. He used changing teh lower body ME lift every 2-3 weeks. My problem I ran into with that is if I'm not doing the lift, I don't get better at it. I.E, GM's help my squat and deadlift, but if I do them INSTEAD of squatting or deading, those lifts suffer. Squatting especially. When I did westside for skinny bastards, I would squat for 3 weeks, make improvements. Then dead for 3 weeks, and when I went back to squatting, I was right back where I started.

Interesting. Perhaps I should run 5/3/1 for a couple of more cycles. I'm sort of the opposite. I can leave the squat for a while and do heavy leg presses, leg curls etc...and come back with a heavier squat. We all got different training styles. I think I am the way I am because that's the way I have always trained. I always try to hit the same bodypart with different exercises, and I've never followed an actual training program before.

prowrestler
11-12-10, 2:04 am
Texas Method is an advanced program, Starting Strength for the newbs.

whoops lol

was readin on texas method that day...my botch

Operation Guns
11-15-10, 9:54 pm
Noob here, can anyone post a link that outlines the 5x3x1 workout?
Or just gimme the down low on it, I have been running a 5x5 workout for a while now, Deadlift is up to 365, would like to try something new though it's been going stale the last month or so

Shukin
11-16-10, 12:57 am
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength
Here is a good article. You can get the ebook

Deathride
11-17-10, 12:34 pm
Noob here, can anyone post a link that outlines the 5x3x1 workout?
Or just gimme the down low on it, I have been running a 5x5 workout for a while now, Deadlift is up to 365, would like to try something new though it's been going stale the last month or so

Buy the e-book. Tremendous wealth of information, a constantly challenging workout that has you constantly attempting a variety of PR's, and has taken me from about 300 to a potential 405+ deadlift in 9 months (when I try it soon!)

SOLDIER X
11-17-10, 5:01 pm
Good luck