PDA

View Full Version : How can I help your bench?

Tiny1102
11-11-10, 11:37 pm
Hey, this is Tiny Meeker. How can I help your bench?

J Wong
11-11-10, 11:53 pm
What do you think the best bench variations for somebody that is weak at the mid point of their bench?

Tiny1102
11-12-10, 12:42 am
Well if a person is weak at the mid-point, then I think they should do more back work. I would also do lockouts and reverse bands. Reverse bands work great. You can really overload using them.

richvanv
11-12-10, 11:43 pm
Hey just curious what your thoughts are on fixin weak points. Do you think that workin the lockout/overloading the top of the movement with chains and bands is necessary to keep progressing in your bench or do you think that just benching is enough? I lift raw and and have been stuck at 365 for way to long, I train using 5/3/1 and have for about the past year and a half. My rep strength has increased greatly but my max has been stagnant. Any input would be appreciated.

BryanSmash!
11-13-10, 10:01 pm
Hey, this is Tiny Meeker. How can I help your bench?

I was wondering if you would please critique my lifts from my first meet (bench only). Heres the write up I did for it:

Woke up early as usual, I shit like four times before I left. I had to replace the roll of toilet paper but didnt secure the holding bar and it popped off and fell with a sploosh right in the bowl. I laughed and hoped this wasnt a bad sign.
It took about two hours to get to the meet, I ended up weighing 213.5lbs, a little light for me, I was hoping to come in around 218. I had been eating a little extra the last few days but when I went to weigh myself the night before the meet, the battery on the scale died, and of course it was one of the quartz ones, so I didnt have a spare. Oh well, guess I pooped it all out that morning anyway lol.
Had an hour and a half until until meet time so I went to dennys and got a prime rib skillet (awesome!), came back, sat through the rules and went downstairs to warm up.
There was alot of guys down there but I worked in, heres how it went down.

Warm up
135x1
225x1
275x1
300x1,1

Had my buddy there to call out press and rack commands to get in the right frame of mind. 300 was my opener, so I decided to do two singles with it to build confidence.
I was on the second flight of lifters, there was 80 total lifters there so things had to be split up. Singlets werent required for this event, but I wore mine anyway, with track pants as well.
300lb opener:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae47pCca1K0

Whoops, the bar they were using had multiple rings and I place one hand waaaay off. Like six inches lol. Still made the lift though. Felt like a moron, but hey, I learned something new.

320lb 2nd lift:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNiD0LbrWL4

Everything went perfect. This was 5lbs less than my best for this year (gym), but I was very happy to nail this in a meet.

340 3rd attempt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVC4AetFZgk

Lost my set up after the lift off. I tried to shift and get it back but it didnt happen. Decided to try it anyway, but not this time. Next time I'll have a dedicated lift off man to prevent this from happening. At the time, it felt like I only got the bar about an inch off my chest, but after reviewing the video, it actually got pretty far. This would have been 5lbs more than my all time best (gym), but it just didnt happen that day. Next time.

The event was ran by a guy who was very good with the lifters, especially the younger ones, always making sure they knew what they did wrong if they were red lighted. Good spotters too.
I had the pleasure of watching a SHW masters bench record holder lift, learned alot by watching his technique. He ended up benching 530. Raw. At 57 years of age. Maybe it was the really rad mustache lol.
For some reason, I ended up with a second place trophy for my class, they gave the first place to a shirted lifter. I was under the impression that raw and geared would be separate, but I guess I was wrong? Not that big of a deal though, unless I missed something, I benched more than any raw 220 or less in any division.
All in all, I was very happy with this meet, looking forward to the next one on Feb 26th.
Oh, and I went to La Bambas and got a giant burrito afterward. Got another one to go, ate it for breakfast this morning lol.

T o m m Y
11-16-10, 7:21 pm
Well if a person is weak at the mid-point, then I think they should do more back work. I would also do lockouts and reverse bands. Reverse bands work great. You can really overload using them.

2-3 brds?
If so,in what set/rep range?

SomeDayI'llBeXL
11-17-10, 9:54 pm
Tiny Meeker, holy shit, a big HELLYEAH for the man and thank you for helping us out. My question pertains to raw lifting...Is it as important to keep your elbows tucked tight when performing a raw bench as it is while in a shirt?

Good Luck Brothers

JustJ
11-17-10, 9:56 pm
this is a great thread. my midpoint of my bench sucks and so does my set up. hope i can pick some stuff up in here.

Tiny1102
11-19-10, 2:59 am
Hey just curious what your thoughts are on fixin weak points. Do you think that workin the lockout/overloading the top of the movement with chains and bands is necessary to keep progressing in your bench or do you think that just benching is enough? I lift raw and and have been stuck at 365 for way to long, I train using 5/3/1 and have for about the past year and a half. My rep strength has increased greatly but my max has been stagnant. Any input would be appreciated.

Bands are great, but they work like a shirt. If your not using a shirt thrn switch to chains. Are you saying 5 reps, 3 reps, single rep. I like doing 5 sets of 5 or more. When using bands work off two or thre boards.

Tiny1102
11-19-10, 3:05 am
I was wondering if you would please critique my lifts from my first meet (bench only). Heres the write up I did for it:

Wow! That was way to much warming up. I bench over 1000 and I only go up to 405 on my warm-up. For you 95 x 10 for 2 sets, 135 x 8, 135 x 6, 185 x 2, and then again for a single. Do a two board with 225 and then do your opener. You don't win in the warm-up room.

Tiny1102
11-19-10, 3:08 am
2-3 brds?
If so,in what set/rep range?

I always do 5 sets after I warm-up. Do 5 sets of 5 or 3 reps. Even do 5 sets of 10 reps. Just do it once a week and change it up.

Tiny1102
11-19-10, 3:10 am
Tiny Meeker, holy shit, a big HELLYEAH for the man and thank you for helping us out. My question pertains to raw lifting...Is it as important to keep your elbows tucked tight when performing a raw bench as it is while in a shirt?

Good Luck Brothers

Yes, never flare the arms out. That is old school and that is why lifter's shoulders hurt. By keeping the elbows in, you stay on the lats and tri's. Much safer way to lift. Learn the form, then go heavy. Learn form first.

Tiny1102
11-19-10, 3:14 am
this is a great thread. my midpoint of my bench sucks and so does my set up. hope i can pick some stuff up in here.

Pinch your shoulders together, get a lift-off, take a big breathe, keep your wrist straight, lower to your upper ab, don't let your air out till you lock-out, and keep your elbows in, but not too much. I like to get my feet flat, but get a big arch.

Tiny1102
11-19-10, 3:18 am
Sorry if I am getting back to everyone late. I am at the Worlds and I have 12 lifters here. I lift tomorrow. I hope my responses were helpful. Please try to make your questions short and I will try to respond asap. Lets do one step at a time. Good luck with your training and be patient. I did not do this over night. Lift smart and safe.

Tiny Meeker

BryanSmash!
11-19-10, 7:46 am
Wow! That was way to much warming up. I bench over 1000 and I only go up to 405 on my warm-up. For you 95 x 10 for 2 sets, 135 x 8, 135 x 6, 185 x 2, and then again for a single. Do a two board with 225 and then do your opener. You don't win in the warm-up room.

Thanks Tiny! I was wondering if I was warming up too heavy, definitely going to implement this next time.

Ricky P
11-19-10, 8:46 am
Sorry if I am getting back to everyone late. I am at the Worlds and I have 12 lifters here. I lift tomorrow. I hope my responses were helpful. Please try to make your questions short and I will try to respond asap. Lets do one step at a time. Good luck with your training and be patient. I did not do this over night. Lift smart and safe.

Tiny Meeker

Tiny, good luck brother!

BryanSmash!
11-19-10, 9:01 am
Best of luck at Worlds!

JustJ
11-22-10, 9:04 pm
I've always hear about "trying to bend the bar"...do you try to bend it forward, towards your feet, or down, towards your chest?

Tiny1102
11-25-10, 1:32 am
I've always hear about "trying to bend the bar"...do you try to bend it forward, towards your feet, or down, towards your chest?

Wow, you got me on that one. I just let the plates bend my bar.

JustJ
11-25-10, 2:49 pm
Wow, you got me on that one. I just let the plates bend my bar.

haha k, i just always hear to grip it tight but that it helps to "bend" the bar or try to pull it apart...didn't know how crucial it is

Tiny1102
11-29-10, 9:23 pm
haha k, i just always hear to grip it tight but that it helps to "bend" the bar or try to pull it apart...didn't know how crucial it is

I think what they are trying to say, is squeeze the bar, like you are trying to bend it.

JustJ
11-29-10, 9:45 pm
I think what they are trying to say, is squeeze the bar, like you are trying to bend it.

got it. I tried holding the bar differently today and I felt instantly stronger. Another question though:
do you press the bar towards your feet, straight up, or slightly up and back towards your head?

Tiny1102
12-04-10, 6:19 pm
got it. I tried holding the bar differently today and I felt instantly stronger. Another question though:
do you press the bar towards your feet, straight up, or slightly up and back towards your head?

Just slightly towards your head, but when you bring the bar down tough your upper ab or just below your chest. Keep your elbows slightly in.

JustJ
12-04-10, 6:23 pm
Just slightly towards your head, but when you bring the bar down tough your upper ab or just below your chest. Keep your elbows slightly in.

got it, thanks. that's what i've been doing, but i'd also heard the "push it in a straight line" theory, and when i've tried that i'm a bit weaker.

Harcore23
12-04-10, 6:42 pm
What up Meeker!

I just got into powerlifting by a buddy of mine. I saw some of your vids on youtube, and I have to say AMAZING stuff bro! I was wondering what federations you suggest? I would like to enter a meet soon.

Tiny1102
12-04-10, 6:46 pm
What up Meeker!

I just got into powerlifting by a buddy of mine. I saw some of your vids on youtube, and I have to say AMAZING stuff bro! I was wondering what federations you suggest? I would like to enter a meet soon.

Well, first welcome to the powerlifting world. I am glad you like my videos. As for federations, it depends on what you want to do. Are you doing all three lifts or lifting in only one lift meets.

Tiny1102
12-04-10, 6:48 pm
got it, thanks. that's what i've been doing, but i'd also heard the "push it in a straight line" theory, and when i've tried that i'm a bit weaker.

Yea, the straight line answer is not exactly correct. You need to come up alittle to the face, but don't go to the rack. Again, keep you shoulders pinched together. If you don't then your going to be on you shoulders.

Harcore23
12-04-10, 6:57 pm
Well, first welcome to the powerlifting world. I am glad you like my videos. As for federations, it depends on what you want to do. Are you doing all three lifts or lifting in only one lift meets.

Wow dude, you replied quick!

Well right now I do three lifts; squat, bench, and deadlift. I weigh 213 and my pr's in the gym so far are; squat-500, bench-375, and deadlift-450.

TigerAce01
12-04-10, 7:05 pm
As I was a competitive swimmer for years, and then grappled for some time, I have had several shoulder injuries. I have found that for my bench, in order to avoid shoulder pain, I have to keep a pretty close grip. The problem with this occurs because I am tall at 6'1 and have long limbs, and the close grip causes me to take a longer path to lockout. I have been relatively successful with my bench, going at 305lbs just a week ago...but I am starting to feel my current technique is beginning to stall.

Any tips on the issue?

-Ace

Tiny1102
12-04-10, 7:08 pm
Wow dude, you replied quick!

Well right now I do three lifts; squat, bench, and deadlift. I weigh 213 and my pr's in the gym so far are; squat-500, bench-375, and deadlift-450.

Not bad numbers for a beginner. Are all your lifts raw? Do you wear any gear, squat suits, bench shirts, or dea suits?

BarbellManiac
12-04-10, 7:09 pm
Do you need to bench for mass? I prefer D.B flat bench press instead. For some reason bench, doesn't react good with my shoulders, It doesn't hurt at all, but you can feel it in the back of your mind that too much pressure overtime will them down.

Tiny1102
12-04-10, 7:14 pm
As I was a competitive swimmer for years, and then grappled for some time, I have had several shoulder injuries. I have found that for my bench, in order to avoid shoulder pain, I have to keep a pretty close grip. The problem with this occurs because I am tall at 6'1 and have long limbs, and the close grip causes me to take a longer path to lockout. I have been relatively successful with my bench, going at 305lbs just a week ago...but I am starting to feel my current technique is beginning to stall.

Any tips on the issue?

-Ace

I hate shoulder issues. Number one injury with the bench. First, do not do your lift-offs. Ice your shoulders every night. Never more than 20 minutes per side and never put heat on them. I wear a shirt when I lift and when I train. Even though you may not be a competive lifter. I would recommend you get a bench shirt. Nothing too extreme, but something that will give the extra support to train more and heavier.

Harcore23
12-04-10, 7:14 pm
Not bad numbers for a beginner. Are all your lifts raw? Do you wear any gear, squat suits, bench shirts, or dea suits?

No, but I've been thinking about it. Do you have any recommendations?

Tiny1102
12-04-10, 7:18 pm

Inzer make the best gear. For the squat I would recommend the Inzer MAX squat suit, the rage bench shirt, but the phenom II is also a great shirt and easy to use. For the dead the Inzer MAX DL.

prowrestler
12-06-10, 6:23 pm

not a powerlifter or anything but i follow..

the bend the bar thing is ment to activate the triceps and it the same shit as pushing the knees out while squatting.

Tiny1102
12-06-10, 8:51 pm

What gear are you thinking about. For the Squat, bench, or dead? Or all three?

Tiny1102
12-06-10, 8:53 pm
Do you need to bench for mass? I prefer D.B flat bench press instead. For some reason bench, doesn't react good with my shoulders, It doesn't hurt at all, but you can feel it in the back of your mind that too much pressure overtime will them down.

No, reps will work more on cuts. Low reps and heavy weight will work on mass.

Harcore23
12-07-10, 12:13 am
Inzer make the best gear. For the squat I would recommend the Inzer MAX squat suit, the rage bench shirt, but the phenom II is also a great shirt and easy to use. For the dead the Inzer MAX DL.

Yeah, my buddy was going to give me one of his Inzer Blast shirts. What federations would you suggest to lift in? I am drug free, however I'm wouldn't mind competing against those who are not.

Tiny1102
12-09-10, 8:17 pm
Drug-free, I suggest WABDL, but I also suggest you move up to a Rage or Phenom II shirt.

Yeah, my buddy was going to give me one of his Inzer Blast shirts. What federations would you suggest to lift in? I am drug free, however I'm wouldn't mind competing against those who are not.

TigerAce01
12-09-10, 9:44 pm
I hate shoulder issues. Number one injury with the bench. First, do not do your lift-offs. Ice your shoulders every night. Never more than 20 minutes per side and never put heat on them. I wear a shirt when I lift and when I train. Even though you may not be a competive lifter. I would recommend you get a bench shirt. Nothing too extreme, but something that will give the extra support to train more and heavier.

For a long time I have been very very against gear...but I've had a couple of injuries that are going to stick with me, and my opinion changed when I started wearing light knee wraps whenever I squatted heavy. I'm learning that gear doesn't have to mean simply a way to put more weight on the bar, but instead be able to do the exercises you love without pain.

Thank you for the advice brother.

-Ace

Altered Beast
12-09-10, 9:56 pm
This is where you've been hiding, Tiny!

Tiny1102
12-09-10, 10:58 pm
Example shirts, shirts today, exspecially the phenom does not have to be so tight you have to max out just to use it. I can bench 600 to 1000 in the same shirt. Back in the days that was unheard of. The shirts and other gear is many there to protect you. Yes, you can lift much more weight using gear, but you will also do it much safer.

For a long time I have been very very against gear...but I've had a couple of injuries that are going to stick with me, and my opinion changed when I started wearing light knee wraps whenever I squatted heavy. I'm learning that gear doesn't have to mean simply a way to put more weight on the bar, but instead be able to do the exercises you love without pain.

Thank you for the advice brother.

-Ace

Tiny1102
12-09-10, 11:00 pm
Hide? Me? Never

This is where you've been hiding, Tiny!

Altered Beast
12-13-10, 10:22 pm
Glad to hear it!

What kind of bands do you recommend and where can I acquire some? My gym has massively thick chains for public use, but no bands. I normally get Power Gear from House of Pain.

Keep in mind that I know nothing about bands.

Oliver
12-13-10, 11:15 pm
Hey Tiny I'm on my schools Powerlifting team and in the 154 weight class. I currently weigh 150 with a 305 bench. I hit 305 about a month ago and i just wont seem so go up past that. I don't know if its because i have been trying to maintain this weight for so long now and cant gain anything. Is there anything i can do that will help me? On my bench days i do this:

6/5/3/2/1 Bench
3x3 Floor Press (Once every 3 weeks, 30lbs over max)
4x10 Incline DB
3x6 Decline Bench
3x10 Flys

Tiny1102
12-16-10, 12:45 am
All sizes. Contact house of pain and tell them Tiny told you to call. Ask for Jason or Rick.

Glad to hear it!

What kind of bands do you recommend and where can I acquire some? My gym has massively thick chains for public use, but no bands. I normally get Power Gear from House of Pain.

Keep in mind that I know nothing about bands.

Tiny1102
12-16-10, 12:48 am
First, do you want to stay in your class? Are you using gear? If so what kind of shirt do you wear? Do more board press, two board. If you are using a shirt. Do it with and without the shirt. 5 sets of 5 or 3 reps. Do more tricep work.

Hey Tiny I'm on my schools Powerlifting team and in the 154 weight class. I currently weigh 150 with a 305 bench. I hit 305 about a month ago and i just wont seem so go up past that. I don't know if its because i have been trying to maintain this weight for so long now and cant gain anything. Is there anything i can do that will help me? On my bench days i do this:

6/5/3/2/1 Bench
3x3 Floor Press (Once every 3 weeks, 30lbs over max)
4x10 Incline DB
3x6 Decline Bench
3x10 Flys

Altered Beast
12-16-10, 11:41 am
All sizes. Contact house of pain and tell them Tiny told you to call. Ask for Jason or Rick.

Thanks! I didn't call, but decided to order the 50 pound resistance bands. Cannot wait to box squat with them tomorrow! I also got the Inzer Knee Sleeves with the 3 tightening straps. Got tired of having to wrap 10-12 times. It probably adds 20 minutes to my leg workout constantly wrapping. I will keep the wraps for my 1 Rep Max days.

I will definitely tell them you referred me next time.

Oliver
12-16-10, 3:28 pm
Yes i want to stay in my weightclass, and no i do not use any gear i am not aloud too since its high school weightlifting. So you suggest i do a 5x3 bench routine instead of 6/5/3/2/1? Also, when you say do 2 floor presses, meaning i do 2 different floor press exercises?

quietmuscle
12-16-10, 4:12 pm
i'm trying to get my chest stronger for football, and i've been wanting to do bench but for whatever reason i can't go as heavy with a barbell as i can with dumb bells. a few years ago just out of highschool i was hitting 310 on bench, and now i'm struggling to hit 185 5 times, but i can do db bench with 110's for sets of 12. My triceps are pretty strong on isolation exercises...any suggestions?

Tiny1102
12-16-10, 10:27 pm
Man that is a big difference. I wish I could watch your form. If you have issues off the chest then do some more back work. If its at lock-out then do more tricep work. How often do you bench? And what is your normal warm-up?

i'm trying to get my chest stronger for football, and i've been wanting to do bench but for whatever reason i can't go as heavy with a barbell as i can with dumb bells. a few years ago just out of highschool i was hitting 310 on bench, and now i'm struggling to hit 185 5 times, but i can do db bench with 110's for sets of 12. My triceps are pretty strong on isolation exercises...any suggestions?

quietmuscle
12-17-10, 2:57 pm
[QUOTE=T1102;1050380]Man that is a big difference. I wish I could watch your form. If you have issues off the chest then do some more back work. If its at lock-out then do more tricep work. How often do you bench? And what is your normal warm-up?[/QUOTEs

i've tried quite a few things, and I've tried hitting my back for years to help my bench out...as a result i'm a bit unproportional...but do you have a specific back exercise/area i should be hitting?

I tried bending the bar last night (a tip i picked up earlier in the thread) and actually increased my rep range on 185 to an easy 10, and pushed 225 out for a few sets of 4 (not great by any means but it was nice to see such huge improvement from something so simple as trying to bend the bar and i'm trying not to get ego-dumb).

I've wondered if i let everything get too much stronger than my chest and now they're taking more of the weight than my chest is...and my shoulders get so pumped during chest that i sometimes h sve to take a 5 minute break just to push them above my head, but every time i lay on the bench i have a routine, first i focus of driving my heels into the ground, then i lay back and squeeze my shoulder blades together and try to roll my actual shoulders back and onto the bench. my hand positioning is probably 2 inches outside of my shoulders on both sides, any further out and i have to really lower the weight, and further in and my triceps feel like they're doing it all...

i've also heard that because i'm 6'1 but have a 6'7 wingspan and measure 26 inches from tip of clavicle to tip of clavicle that i'll never have a strong chest but i don't see how having more room to add muscle is a bad thing...

Puke
12-18-10, 2:57 am
Have u ever messed up a shoulder and how did u fix it?

Tiny1102
12-24-10, 11:48 am
Do your bench, your back, and your legs one day a week. When you do you back, hit it hard and do your bi's on the same day. On bench day, do your warm-up. Only go up to 40 percent of your max for a double then a single. Then go into your sets. 5 sets for 3 reps or 5 sets for 5 reps, or even 5 sets for 10 reps. Change it each week. Then hit your triceps hard.

Yes i want to stay in my weightclass, and no i do not use any gear i am not aloud too since its high school weightlifting. So you suggest i do a 5x3 bench routine instead of 6/5/3/2/1? Also, when you say do 2 floor presses, meaning i do 2 different floor press exercises?

Tiny1102
12-24-10, 12:02 pm
Yes, tore my rotator in high school playing football and 20 weeks ago. First I started taking more Animal Flex. I doubled up on the recommended amount. I would try to ice my shoulder two times a day. No more than 20 minutes each time. And I would get deep tissue massages. I have never had surgery, even though the doctor recommended it. Most important, if it hurts doing a exercise, then don't do it. REST.

Have u ever messed up a shoulder and how did u fix it?

Tiny1102
12-24-10, 12:11 pm
I hurt my shoulder about 20 weeks ago. I did not tear it again, but I messed it up pretty good. I couldn't even bench the bar for 4 weeks, but weeks later I was in the cage repping 700 and 800. I took 4 weeks off again and then I slowly started to train for the WABDL Worlds. Use your Animal FLEX and ICE, ICE, and ICE.

Yes, tore my rotator in high school playing football and 20 weeks ago. First I started taking more Animal Flex. I doubled up on the recommended amount. I would try to ice my shoulder two times a day. No more than 20 minutes each time. And I would get deep tissue massages. I have never had surgery, even though the doctor recommended it. Most important, if it hurts doing a exercise, then don't do it. REST.

Altered Beast
12-24-10, 1:00 pm
Yo Tiny! Thanks for the recommendation on the bands. I absolutely love them! I switch from week to week performing different rep and weight schemes. Every other week I use thick chains to switch it up.

I've been using the chains and bands for Bench, Military Press and Box Squats. Trying to find a way to incorporate bands into deadlifting, any thoughts?

Flex and some Cissus Quadrangularis would repair those shoulders. Run 5000 Milligrams of Cissus for 12 weeks. It has been used for thousands of years in Ayurvedic Medicine to repair ligament, cartilage damage and even heal bone fractures! It removes inflammation from the body use well as building brand new cartilage. It's an all natural herb, give it a shot. Personally, I run it at least once a year to rebuild and heal my knees, elbows and shoulders if they need it or don't.

Take 2500 mg with breakfast and 5000 with your last meal. Take Flex with your PWO Shake.

ghost
12-29-10, 9:57 am
whats the best routine for increasing your bench?

Tiny1102
12-30-10, 10:28 pm
Thats great! Glad the bands are working. Try them out on a leg press, but be carefull. As for the deadlifting. It depends on what kind of power rack you have. Try them reverse. Like on the bench, but not from the top. Help out of the hole, but not at the top.

Yo Tiny! Thanks for the recommendation on the bands. I absolutely love them! I switch from week to week performing different rep and weight schemes. Every other week I use thick chains to switch it up.

I've been using the chains and bands for Bench, Military Press and Box Squats. Trying to find a way to incorporate bands into deadlifting, any thoughts?

Flex and some Cissus Quadrangularis would repair those shoulders. Run 5000 Milligrams of Cissus for 12 weeks. It has been used for thousands of years in Ayurvedic Medicine to repair ligament, cartilage damage and even heal bone fractures! It removes inflammation from the body use well as building brand new cartilage. It's an all natural herb, give it a shot. Personally, I run it at least once a year to rebuild and heal my knees, elbows and shoulders if they need it or don't.

Take 2500 mg with breakfast and 5000 with your last meal. Take Flex with your PWO Shake.

Tiny1102
12-30-10, 10:31 pm
There is really no best routine. Do a good warm-up up to 40%, then go to 5 sets of 3 or 5 reps. Always change up your workout, so your body does not get used to it. Hit your tri's hard on the same day and your back and bi's on another.

whats the best routine for increasing your bench?

Altered Beast
12-30-10, 11:42 pm
I didn't quite follow the deadlift setup. Reverse as in put the bands on the pegs closer to the top of the rack?

Tiny, you should consider putting together some instructional vids shot from your gym! Talk to Universal about hooking you up with a nice camera.

Tiny1102
01-08-11, 6:24 pm
Yes. I am working on a video very soon. As for the bands, the lower the less help out of the hole.

I didn't quite follow the deadlift setup. Reverse as in put the bands on the pegs closer to the top of the rack?

Tiny, you should consider putting together some instructional vids shot from your gym! Talk to Universal about hooking you up with a nice camera.

Altered Beast
01-08-11, 6:45 pm
Yes. I am working on a video very soon. As for the bands, the lower the less help out of the hole.

Can't wait to see them.

Sooner or later I will definitely stop by the Power Station and say whats up! Been busy getting advertising set up and running for my business.

Tiny1102
01-09-11, 5:12 pm
I know what you mean. Very busy getting things up hear as well. I am just about always here on Sundays at 4 pm.

Can't wait to see them.

Sooner or later I will definitely stop by the Power Station and say whats up! Been busy getting advertising set up and running for my business.

Train1
01-10-11, 4:39 pm
I have a meet next month and I was wondering if im doing the right steps on warm ups off of 2 or 3 boards. I am looking to open at 465. I do 315 on 3 boards for my first warm up, then 405 on 2 board for a second then I did 4 reps of 455 on 2 board.

Tiny1102
01-10-11, 5:05 pm
I would warm up with 95 x 15, 95 x12, 135 x 8, 135 x 6, 185 x 2, 185 x 1, then put the shirt on. Three reps with 275 off 3 boards and then 420 off a 2 board. Now you are ready for your opener.

I have a meet next month and I was wondering if im doing the right steps on warm ups off of 2 or 3 boards. I am looking to open at 465. I do 315 on 3 boards for my first warm up, then 405 on 2 board for a second then I did 4 reps of 455 on 2 board.

Train1
01-10-11, 5:10 pm
O ok so I have been doing my board presses with more weight than I should be.. I will for sure try this out on my next training session.. lol any more helpful tips you can give me? I have a problem, for some reason when im benching my right side is really good wrist straight, elbow in but on my left side it feels like my elbow isnt going in like my right side. Is that due to a bad lift off?

Tiny1102
01-13-11, 12:14 am
Sometimes, yes that could be from a bad liftoff, but I think you might want to back off the weight some. Get your form back and then go heavy. With bad form your getting nothing done.

O ok so I have been doing my board presses with more weight than I should be.. I will for sure try this out on my next training session.. lol any more helpful tips you can give me? I have a problem, for some reason when im benching my right side is really good wrist straight, elbow in but on my left side it feels like my elbow isnt going in like my right side. Is that due to a bad lift off?

DEVILMAN40K
02-06-11, 10:11 pm
I have a meet next month and my shirt doesn't fit as well as it did. I have lost weight and the shirt feels loose. Is there anything I can do to tighten up my katana?

Tiny1102
02-26-11, 6:27 pm
Yes, switch to Inzer. Best shirts in the business. Anyway, it is what it is. You lost some weight. Anytime you lose, your shirt is going to change. If it is lose in the sleeves, then send it in to have them tapered in. Put the shirt on. If you can put more than one finger inside the sleeves, then yes it is too loose. If it is to loose in the chest, then you need to move down a size in the shirt. I only wear Inzer, so I only deal with Inzer. I am not sure what all Titan will do for you, but that is what I would do with my shirts. Or you could try to gain weight again. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions.

I have a meet next month and my shirt doesn't fit as well as it did. I have lost weight and the shirt feels loose. Is there anything I can do to tighten up my katana?

Altered Beast
02-27-11, 3:37 pm
Tiny,

I have to come to the realization that I need to add board presses in the mix. I have long arms and use a wide grip (thumb on the smooth slit of the bar). Should I use a 4 board and 3 board? Also, how should I use them? At lower percentages use the 4 board than as I get closer to my Max use the 3 board? At this point I train raw, but am going to order a SlingShot from HOP to get extra reps at those heavier sets.

Thanks