PDA

View Full Version : The Twinkie Cutting Diet

Howitzer
11-12-10, 5:12 am
You guys heard right. While this is entirely inappropriate for a bodybuilder or athlete, this news story is pretty ridiculous. I'm guessing a lot of "average Americans" are going to give this a shot. What do you guys think?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Like I said, I wouldn't personally do this EVER, but it shows there is a ton that we don't know about food and the human body. I posted this on Universal as well to get the word out. Be wary of people telling you it doesn't matter what kind of thing you eat as long as you get the calories.

Howitzer

IronWilson
11-12-10, 10:49 am
It's just proves the basic nutritional principle of calories in vs. calories out. If you are eating less than you are burning, you will lose weight.

What is more important is than the weight loss was the harm he was probably doing to his body. A diet like that can easily make a person very insulin resistant. He said that there was no unhealthy results. However, the duration of the diet was only 4 weeks. I don't know if that would be enough time for the diet to take it's true effects.

ironshaolin
11-14-10, 7:31 pm
Also, look at the fact that this guy after LOSING WEIGHT was around 180lbs or so (forgot exact weight) but was at 25% BODYFAT!!! I weigh 210 right now at 15% bodyfat, and I'm sporting around a spare tire. I can't imagine what his bodycomp must look like at that weight with that percentage. Also, I would not be surprised if while losing weight, just as much came from muscle, if not more, than from fat. I will certainly believe that you can lose weight eating junk. However, I remember hearing this quote from the late IronAddict,

"if you eat more than you burn, you gain weight. If you eat less than you burn, you lose weight. The TYPES of foods you eat determine if its fat or muscle you're losing/gaining".

T. Kemble
11-19-10, 1:52 am
It's just proves the basic nutritional principle of calories in vs. calories out. If you are eating less than you are burning, you will lose weight.

What is more important is than the weight loss was the harm he was probably doing to his body. A diet like that can easily make a person very insulin resistant. He said that there was no unhealthy results. However, the duration of the diet was only 4 weeks. I don't know if that would be enough time for the diet to take it's true effects.

Also, look at the fact that this guy after LOSING WEIGHT was around 180lbs or so (forgot exact weight) but was at 25% BODYFAT!!! I weigh 210 right now at 15% bodyfat, and I'm sporting around a spare tire. I can't imagine what his bodycomp must look like at that weight with that percentage. Also, I would not be surprised if while losing weight, just as much came from muscle, if not more, than from fat. I will certainly believe that you can lose weight eating junk. However, I remember hearing this quote from the late IronAddict,

"if you eat more than you burn, you gain weight. If you eat less than you burn, you lose weight. The TYPES of foods you eat determine if its fat or muscle you're losing/gaining".

All valid points fellas,
You also have to consider that a pencil pushing professor is going to have different nutritional demands than a lifter, but it does go to show that in sedentary adults one can loose weight simply by cutting calories. Now pair an active lifter up with a low calorie diet and the nutritional needs will change substantially. On a lighter note I wonder what his trips to the bathroom were like, honestly?!

Howitzer
11-19-10, 3:02 am
I'm telling you man, he must have felt terrible all the time. Sick to his stomach and shitting gravel. I'm only assuming this though.