PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna have surgery, how do I prevent my muscles from shrinking?

toothpicklegs
11-12-10, 5:56 am
I'm gonna have a surgery to remove a genetic defect near the tailbone(no idea what it's called in english).
The point is I will not be able to train for 4-6 weeks. I would like to minimize my strengh and muscleloss during this time.
So my plan A at the moment is to go for a bulk diet all the way from now to the surgery, Somethinglike a bulkdiet through the time I can't train postsurgery and for about a month after surgery to regain lost strengh, and then cut away the extras I've put on.

Plan B is to cut now, do the bulk-like eating through the postsurgery time, cut the extras once i can start training again for about a month and the go back to building up.

I don't know which way to go or if plan C: do like B but bulk as fast as i can start training again.
Any thoughts?

pushin weight
11-12-10, 9:16 am
I'm gonna have a surgery to remove a genetic defect near the tailbone(no idea what it's called in english).
The point is I will not be able to train for 4-6 weeks. I would like to minimize my strengh and muscleloss during this time.
So my plan A at the moment is to go for a bulk diet all the way from now to the surgery, Somethinglike a bulkdiet through the time I can't train postsurgery and for about a month after surgery to regain lost strengh, and then cut away the extras I've put on.

Plan B is to cut now, do the bulk-like eating through the postsurgery time, cut the extras once i can start training again for about a month and the go back to building up.

I don't know which way to go or if plan C: do like B but bulk as fast as i can start training again.
Any thoughts?

If it were me i would keep my protein super high and my carbs moderate and very clean.

Jon
11-12-10, 4:01 pm
I would go with your bulking plan... keep the protein very high and take some amino acids... best bet

Mauricio
11-13-10, 5:34 am
can't prevent muscle loss even with increased dietary protein consumption. you'll start losing muscle tissue after 14-20 days of not doing resistance training, just recover from surgery and start over wish you the best brother.

Shukin
11-13-10, 8:59 am
Aminos more aminos......
Aganine, BCAAs EAAs, a multi,

Just get your recovery spead up and get back to normal life.

Respect,
Shukin

PORTERHOUSE
11-13-10, 12:06 pm
I definitely wouldn't try and eat a bulk diet when you can't train, making yourself fat isn't going to get you anywhere.

I would keep the protein high and double up on the aminos. Watch your carb intake, eating a shitload of carbs when your inactive ins't going to really do anything for you except make you gain excess fat.

I had a hernia surgery last January, out for 5 weeks and followed this sort of plan and was fine. Your not going to be able to retain all mass and strength, but you can minimize it.

toothpicklegs
11-13-10, 12:55 pm
Thanks bros, think i'm gonna go high protein, extra aminos and moderate on everything else...
Maybie the doctor can give me something to speed up the healing...
I'm so darn close to some of my strengh goals right now It's insane, hate to lose it.

the_big_freak_shaw
11-13-10, 2:39 pm
man im in the same boat. not having surgery but hurt my back and docs told me to sit out for a while. and i dont have a clue how i should be eating since i cant lift big.

toothpicklegs
11-14-10, 11:16 am
For 90% of my injuries in football and icehockey electric muscle stimulation has worked like a charm. You know those belts they sell on the home-shop TV-channels that they claim build muscle. they're worthless for musclebuilding but great for rehab.

I had a knee injurie and the docs told me I wouldnt play football for 2 months or at all that season. 2 weeks later guess who started on both offense and defense?(though I used knee braces but still)

what I did was:
heat 5 minutes, electric stimulation 10 mins, cold 5 mins, repeat for 2 h/day +easy knee extensions in swimmingpool 5 sets of 50/day