PDA

View Full Version : Hoffman's "Protein From The Sea"

Girevik 69
11-12-10, 4:02 pm
I was paging through Alan Radley's excellent book, The Illustrated History of Physical Culture Vol. 1--The Muscular Ideal, and saw a photo of an old Hoffman advertisement for an early (1961) protein supplement, called "Protein From The Sea". The product was listed as "fish protein", and was available in both powder and chewable tablet form. I tsp. of powder had 9 grams of protein, and the recommendation was to take just 2 tsps a day--1 with lunch and 1 with dinner.

Does anyone know anything else about this old-time product? It sounds like it must have tasted really vile.

Jon
11-14-10, 6:01 pm
nothing like chewing some fish tabs in the morning

Sandman
11-14-10, 11:43 pm
I have only heard of them one other time. I was talking to Jack LaLanne about his diet (since he doesn't eat red meat) he was telling me some of the things he ate to get protein. I never could bring myself to try them though.

Girevik 69
11-15-10, 9:53 am
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Chewable fish tabs or a fish powder... both sound really horrible, lol.

G Diesel
11-15-10, 10:15 am
Oh man, as much as I love the old school, there are some ways I'm very thankful for certain modern luxuries.

Peace, G

Girevik 69
11-15-10, 10:20 am
Oh man, as much as I love the old school, there are some ways I'm very thankful for certain modern luxuries.

Peace, G

You and me both, G!

Optimus Prime
11-15-10, 10:29 am
i kep thinkin about that jaws movie and that guy throwing the fish stuffs from the buckets into the water..

Girevik 69
11-15-10, 10:31 am
i kep thinkin about that jaws movie and that guy throwing the fish stuffs from the buckets into the water..

Good ol' CHUM!

Optimus Prime
11-15-10, 10:32 am
Good ol' CHUM!

hahhaha yea thats it!!!