PDA

View Full Version : 175-lb bent press with an old-style globe barbell

Girevik 69
11-13-10, 8:15 pm
Here's a cool video of Anthony DiLuglio doing a bent press with 175 lbs. It's an impressive lift, and I dig the old-style, shot-loaded globe barbells he uses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pfx_WOgttY

BryanSmash!
11-13-10, 8:51 pm
Bad ass! You dont see many people doing the bent press these days, many dont even know what it is. Pretty cool in the background, theres a bunch of thick ropes, and a globe dumbbell. I went to artofstrength.com just to see if they sold any shot fill globes barbell, but alas they do not. Id love a black iron version of one of those.

Girevik 69
11-15-10, 9:50 am
Bad ass! You dont see many people doing the bent press these days, many dont even know what it is.

I know. It's one of those lifts that was largely abandoned, though you still have good groups like the United States All-Round Weightlifting Association, who do all the old-school lifts:

http://www.usawa.com/tag/bent-press/

The bent press is a really tough lift. I do the vast majority of my kettlebell work (swings, cleans, snatches, military presses, halos, squats, good mornings, Turkish get-ups, etc) with 20 kg (44 lb) and 24 kg (53 lb) bells, but I'm still struggling to perfect the bent press, using a small (16kg/35lb) bell. Mastering the motion of "moving under the weight" is tricky--for me, at least.

Pretty cool in the background, theres a bunch of thick ropes, and a globe dumbbell. I went to artofstrength.com just to see if they sold any shot fill globes barbell, but alas they do not. Id love a black iron version of one of those.

I'd love to have a globe barbell and globe dumbells, too. In my research on early strength equipment, I've noticed that globe bells came in two varieties--the shot-loaded type, and a plate-loaded type, where the plates were fitted inside the globe.

prowrestler
11-15-10, 7:06 pm
ryan kennely will eat him

Girevik 69
11-16-10, 10:12 am
ryan kennely will eat him

You're talking about apples and oranges, bro.

Ryan Kennelly is a powerlifter who specializes in the bench press.

Anthony DiLuglio is a strength coach who specializes in old-school lifts, like the bent press and Turkish get-up.

prowrestler
11-16-10, 1:37 pm
You're talking about apples and oranges, bro.

Ryan Kennelly is a powerlifter who specializes in the bench press.

Anthony DiLuglio is a strength coach who specializes in old-school lifts, like the bent press and Turkish get-up.

i ment actually eat him

Girevik 69
11-16-10, 10:44 pm
i ment actually eat him

lol...