PDA

View Full Version : The "Reset Switch" Routine...Back to the Basics

TigerAce01
11-16-10, 11:23 am
I've been seeing a lot of conversations going on about 5/3/1 and its effectiveness as compare to many other routines.

5/3/1 is excellent in its simplicity, but if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. Everyone needs to find shit that works for them...if that means it's some training system you created and works for you but not the other guy...then stick with it. It makes me sad seeing people train under a system that doesn't stimulate growth, but because their partner is salivating over the results, they stick with it for months.

People tend to over think every aspect of training...the split, the system, the supplements, the diet, the sleep, etc...everyone just needs to clear out their mental cart, start at square one, and build it from there. My personal approach, which has coincidentally worked for other people I've trained, is to start with the absolute basics for 4-6 weeks, then advance from there once their body has started to figure itself out. Once this base period has passed, add specific exercises in on a limited basis, going from least specific to most specific over a 12 week period.

This routine can work for bodybuilders, powerlifters, and anyone who trains. The most important aspect of this routine is hitting the "reset switch". Take 1-2 weeks of before beginning so your body is reset. No supplements during this off period, and for the 4-6 week base period, only use a multi and protein powder. As for the diet, eat as your body wants. The point of this routine is to learn your body and pay attention to its needs.

See what you think of this :

(Weeks 1 through 4-6)
Mon - Squat : 3 sets x warmup
3 x 5
1 x 3
Wed - Bench : 3 sets x warmup
3 x 5
1 x 3
Fri - Deadlift : 3 sets x warmup
3 x 5
1 x 3

(Week 4-6+)

Mon - Squats : warmup
3 x 3-10
Then add in specific exercises...if bodybuilding, choose 1 extra exercise and do 3 sets x 10-12 reps, adding an extra exercise that you absolutely know works for you every 2 weeks. If going for strength, stay in the 3-5 rep range.

Wed - Bench : warmup
3 x 3-10
Then add in specific exercises...if bodybuilding, choose 1 extra exercise and do 3 sets x 10-12 reps, adding an extra exercise that you absolutely know works for you every 2 weeks. If going for strength, stay in the 3-5 rep range.

Fri - Dealift : warmup
3 x 3-10

If after a few weeks, the base exercises start to stall, switch them up to something that works better....this is a very personalized routine, listening to your body. If the bench is not working for you, switch it to DB bench or incline. Same goes for squat and DL.

Let me know how you like it, and feel free to give some more ideas.

-Ace

greek91
11-16-10, 12:20 pm
i really like the sound of this, especially for people who are getting started. ive seen kids jump into advanced routines and diet plans before they have any idea how their body will respond. this seems like a great way to find out how your body reacts to different things, and from there, it can be that much easier to find out how to stimulate growth

SOLDIER X
11-17-10, 3:36 am
Giving your body options is always great. The simplicity in this routine will allow possible lagging bodyparts to get reignited as well. Nice post Ace.

TigerAce01
11-17-10, 10:37 am
This routine is good for both beginners and experts. The point is starting over, going back to the raw aspects of weight training, then feeling how each and every movement works for your body.

-Ace