PDA

View Full Version : :) the mornings

SteCu
11-17-10, 1:42 pm
hi guys,

a question

i get up at 08:45 and i need to eat something ( today i tried 2 cans of tuna and a bannana)
at 09:30 i took animal pump and at 10:00 i went to gym.

during the 2 hours workut i had a puk sensation.

do you have any thing that could be good to eat in the morning?

C.Coronato
11-17-10, 1:59 pm
Eggs and oatmeal my man! Classic, simple.

SteCu
11-17-10, 2:03 pm
whole eggs or only the white stuff ? :)

Bulldozer57
11-17-10, 2:27 pm
My breakfast usually consists of a couple hard boiled eggs and 2 peanut butter sandwiches. I usually eat the whole eggs even tho the more healthy thing would be only whites. It's an easy breakfast nd great if Ur on the go in the mornings like me

C.Coronato
11-17-10, 2:42 pm
If your cutting, then some whites some whole .. other wise wholes.

SteCu
11-17-10, 3:06 pm

SOLDIER X
11-17-10, 5:02 pm
Shake, sometimes training messes up my stomach and solid food won't stay down.

adidas
11-18-10, 1:21 pm
I go on an empty stomach....I get up @ 0500 and lift @ 1130.

pushin weight
11-18-10, 1:45 pm
Some mornings i just toss a half a cup of oats in my shaker cup with two scoops of whey and chug it with a little water,but mostly its eggs and such.

Are you lifting for two hours?

GUNS
11-18-10, 1:51 pm
You should never have an emty stomach! Eggs and oats as stated above.

adidas
11-18-10, 2:02 pm
You should never have an emty stomach! Eggs and oats as stated above.

Bull and Shit...there is NOTHING wrong lifting or excersing on an empty stomach.

NEVER is a very strong word to use...

GUNS
11-18-10, 4:44 pm
When I say never empty I mean you should have ate something in the last hour or so before working out. Cardio on a completely empty stomach trying to cut first thing in the morning is ok, but working out, weight training, with no food in you, now that's bull and shit. Go ahead, train with nothing, and you'll get nothing results!

adidas
11-18-10, 6:58 pm
When I say never empty I mean you should have ate something in the last hour or so before working out. Cardio on a completely empty stomach trying to cut first thing in the morning is ok, but working out, weight training, with no food in you, now that's bull and shit. Go ahead, train with nothing, and you'll get nothing results!

So what you're telling me is that the last 8+ months of doing just that....having NOTHING in my stomach/system prior to working out....in which I have made progress, has been a figment of my imagination?...Maintaining body weight, lowering body fat levels, increasing weight loads, lowering running times on distances...ALL of it...Bull Shit? Hmmm...I take it you have personal experience with an IF type diet or Warrior type diet???

you do realize that there is more one way to skin a cat right...You'de be surprised what one's body can do on an IF or Warrior style diet in the gym.

I did this today on ZERO calorie intake:

20 Deadlifts (275lbs)
Run 400m
20 KB swings (50lbs)
Run 400m
20 Overhead Squats (115lbs)
Row 400m
20 Burpees
Row 400m
20 Pullups (Chest to Bar)
Run 400m
20 Flat Bench Press 135
Row 400m
20 medice Ball Slams
Run 400m

400m = .25 mile

Total Time: 54 minutes

Now tell me again working out on an empty stomach = ZERO results...

GUNS
11-18-10, 7:18 pm
I really don't give a shit what you did. He is asking about him. Depending on his goals, the basics of weight training and making gains in muscle size start in the kitchen. The single most important part of our sport. You need to lose the attitude and figure out what he wants, not what works for you. I have been doing this for 20 years, been on stage, and know all about the food world. But I'm still learning. Looks like you got this whole thing figured out. Keep doing what your doing and you will be just fine.

DONE!

GUNS
11-18-10, 7:29 pm
hi guys,

a question

i get up at 08:45 and i need to eat something ( today i tried 2 cans of tuna and a bannana)

Hey brother, sorry this thread has been jacked. Man you got to eat, What are your goals? What do you weigh now? What do you want to weigh? We need info man. That will help a ton.

I get up at 630, eat between 6-12 eggs, 2 cups of oatmeal, glass of orange juice and sometimes a yogurt. I drink a RG shake at 9, then hit the gym at about 10-1030 giving a little time for digestion. I drink about 1-1/2 gal of water a day minimum. I have another RG shake walking out the door of the gym then about 1 hour or so later I eat a 10 oz chicken breast and 2 potatoes or 2 cups of rice. I eat again at about 5pm and one more about 730. I throw in a casien shake about midnight when I wake up to piss.

If your having a puking feeling, man hopefully your just pushing yourself hard. It happens. I feel like this all the time. Espescially leg and Back days. If it is something else just eat a little earlier spreadding it out about 1-1/2-2 hours.

Hope this helps man.

adidas
11-18-10, 7:34 pm
I'm not the one with an attitude or an ALL or NOTHING approach and ABSOLUTES...that would be YOU.

The fact is you don't have a clue, as I just showed you what someone can do on ZERO calorie intake prior to a work out...I have done 12 meals aday, 8 meals aday 6 meals aday, 4, 3 and now I just eat after 1730'ish during a 4hr eating time frame...know what, THEY ALL work for all of the same things....bulking, maintaining & cutting.

And I completely agree about the kitchen and nutrition being the single most important aspect of the BB sport...and this "diet" doesn't work for just ME, it can work for anyone...

biggora
11-20-10, 7:48 am
I go on an empty stomach....I get up @ 0500 and lift @ 1130.

Wow, so to make sure I understand this - you are going from 5:00 - 11:30 without food? Six and a half hours? And you're training? And you've probably slept anywhere from 5 - 8 hours before all this? If this is accurate then I don't see how it is possible to make any gains. Unless you're some genetic freak of nature...?

quinto
11-21-10, 11:17 am
^^^funny thing. you can do the above, but for the actual getting gains part is minimized. i used to do the following, but not as extreme. lift on an empty stomach? i loved it as i wouldnt get the puke. i was making gains, but not at the rate you would expect. you gotta eat something, otherwise you will plateau faster, and your gains will be limited. i soon realized that i was losing weight, getting stronger, but losing my muscle mass. if you want to get small there is the way to go. but say goodbye to your muscle mass you fought so hard to put on.

i took aggressions advice and ate something an hour or so before i lifted, and recovery is a lot better, i can lift a lot more, and my gains are through the roof. it was like night and day after about a week of consuming something before training.

so eat something. dont necessarily mean to eat a butt load of food, but something. i personally like the 2 eggs and a yogurt/cheese/ something as it will stay down as i lift. oir even a preworkout shake. its up to you.

TheBeef
11-21-10, 1:38 pm
You cannot say that one thing works for everybody. It is crazy to think that certain nutritional habits affect everyone the same. I know someone who gets stronger and stronger and has steady size gains eating like shit. This person also gets shit faced every weekend and sleeps less than 6 hours a day.

But me? Shit if I miss a meal I start losing weight, sucks.

With that said.....

Eating on an empty stomach cetainly has its place, but most people cant do it. If I work out after 8 hours of fasting, I can't even concentrate because my stomach is grumbling so hard asking for food. My intesity goes down because of that. Perhaps its a mental thing, but that's the way it is. So what do I do? I drink some milk, whey, and oats 1/2 hour before working out if I do it in the morning. If its an afternoon workout, I eat about 1 1/2 hours prior, that way I'm on an empty stomach.

OP, try it both ways and log how it affects you. Track your weight, mood, and intensity. Do your exercises the same way and in the same order and notice and changes in strength (if any). If you want a quick snack before working out, try some black coffee and a banana minimum. Ideally I prefer milk and oats, but that will bloat you a bit and might be uncomfortable when working out, unless you give yourself an hour or so for the food to leave the stomach.

kevin.eleven88
11-23-10, 11:13 am
You cannot say that one thing works for everybody. It is crazy to think that certain nutritional habits affect everyone the same. I know someone who gets stronger and stronger and has steady size gains eating like shit. This person also gets shit faced every weekend and sleeps less than 6 hours a day. If your having a puking feeling, man hopefully your just pushing yourself hard. It happens. I feel like this all the time. Espescially leg and Back days. If it is something else just eat a little earlier spreadding it out about 1-1/2-2 hours.

adidas
11-29-10, 12:39 pm
Wow, so to make sure I understand this - you are going from 5:00 - 11:30 without food? Six and a half hours? And you're training? And you've probably slept anywhere from 5 - 8 hours before all this? If this is accurate then I don't see how it is possible to make any gains. Unless you're some genetic freak of nature...?

let's see I typically polish off my last morsal around 2130 and get up @ 0500-0600...drink 16oz of green tea w/tbls honey and then work out @ 1130ish...finish work out roughly 1230 or sooner and then eat a can of tuna/salmon/herring/sardines (1 of the 4) and then go from then to 1730ish before I eat my real meal...so what is that...

roughly 15 hrs with out anything else other than a lil over 20g of honey in the morning...then less than 300cals for "lunch/pwo" and then 4 more hours till I start consuming my daily calories.

I still pound down about 1800-2200 calories or more a night though.

oh and I'm no genetic freak...by a long shot...

Fricano
11-29-10, 7:00 pm
So what you're telling me is that the last 8+ months of doing just that....having NOTHING in my stomach/system prior to working out....in which I have made progress, has been a figment of my imagination?...Maintaining body weight, lowering body fat levels, increasing weight loads, lowering running times on distances...ALL of it...Bull Shit? Hmmm...I take it you have personal experience with an IF type diet or Warrior type diet???

you do realize that there is more one way to skin a cat right...You'de be surprised what one's body can do on an IF or Warrior style diet in the gym.

I did this today on ZERO calorie intake:

20 Deadlifts (275lbs)
Run 400m
20 KB swings (50lbs)
Run 400m
20 Overhead Squats (115lbs)
Row 400m
20 Burpees
Row 400m
20 Pullups (Chest to Bar)
Run 400m
20 Flat Bench Press 135
Row 400m
20 medice Ball Slams
Run 400m

400m = .25 mile

Total Time: 54 minutes

Now tell me again working out on an empty stomach = ZERO results...

Why so angry? First of all, you are only partially right about absolutes. I agree that there are not many absolutes in bodybuilding.That being said there are some fundamental truths.We will all agree that all types of training work but thats because a lot of training protocols all do the same thing, tax the muscle one way or another and thus lead to growth. Progressive overload is something you see in all training. Same goes for nutrition. There are different takes but some things are always true. If you had just the slightest clue about nutrition you would know that going so long without any kind calories is detrimental to any bodybuilding goals you may have; cutting or bulking. The body is the ultimate machine and it runs best when internal conditions are kept constant.You see when the body is deprived of calories, specifically carbohydrates, muscle tissue must be broken down to maintain stable blood glucose. Glucose is the preferred fuel of the brain and thus you must always have some glucose in your blood just to fuel the brain. Now the brain can run off lipids but it doesn't "like" to and your body is more likely to break down muscle tissue through the process called gluconeogenesis than use lipids. So you see that going without eating for the length of time that you do is puts your body in a catabolic state. With glycogen stores depleted, muscle tissue is being broken down. When bulking or cutting we want to build or maintain as much muscle as possible. Your scheme works against that. Furthermore weight training is an extremely catabolic event and when you do not eat as you do you further hinder your progress. The small meal you eat after training does not make up for all the damage you have done. Now that we got that out of the way lets talk about your attitude. First of all what were all those numbers you posted? Were they meant to be impressive and proof that what your doing is good? Well they weren't. I can tell you must not be eating right with just 2500 calories the entire day. Either that or your a twig which is okay we were all there once but to say you have the answer and have knowledge about nutrition is troubling. You need to do a little more research before you blurt things out. Yeah it "works" for you but what are you? Nothing. Just a small guy who has yet to pay his dues. Just a big mouth who thinks he knows it all and loves to argue online about this and that with no concern of helping others but just for the sake of arguing. Now don't take this the wrong way. I'm not saying I have the answers. In fact I now very little but the little I know is from credible sources. I am constantly reading and am on top of everything I do. I leave nothing unquestioned because that how much I care about bodybuilding. If you don't care than continue what your doing. Keep posting on bodybuilding forums, and going to the gym and working out and pretending to be a builder. Your not fooling me but really I could care less.

Now for the question at hand. You should eat something before you workout. I used to workout in the morning and would do a shake with egg protein and a maltodextrin/dextrose mix. I still drink a shake containing carbs about 30 minutes before working out but I train much later in the day now. I also get a pre-workout meals about 1:30 before my session. I think you have plenty of time to get a meal in. For breakfast I really like egg whites and oatmeal. I like to mix them together in the same bowl. You could also due egg whites and grits ala Ronnie Coleman. They're not bad either. I did do the tuna thing for a while but canned tuna is so dry or sometimes funky that it makes me want to throw up whether or not im training. Do a little research on pre workout and nutrition and im sure you'll find some good answers. Personally I follow John Berardi's teachings but there are many other out there. Stay hungry.

adidas
11-30-10, 8:48 am
Why so angry? First of all, you are only partially right about absolutes. I agree that there are not many absolutes in bodybuilding.That being said there are some fundamental truths.We will all agree that all types of training work but thats because a lot of training protocols all do the same thing, tax the muscle one way or another and thus lead to growth. Progressive overload is something you see in all training. Same goes for nutrition. There are different takes but some things are always true. If you had just the slightest clue about nutrition you would know that going so long without any kind calories is detrimental to any bodybuilding goals you may have; cutting or bulking. The body is the ultimate machine and it runs best when internal conditions are kept constant.You see when the body is deprived of calories, specifically carbohydrates, muscle tissue must be broken down to maintain stable blood glucose. Glucose is the preferred fuel of the brain and thus you must always have some glucose in your blood just to fuel the brain. Now the brain can run off lipids but it doesn't "like" to and your body is more likely to break down muscle tissue through the process called gluconeogenesis than use lipids. So you see that going without eating for the length of time that you do is puts your body in a catabolic state. With glycogen stores depleted, muscle tissue is being broken down. When bulking or cutting we want to build or maintain as much muscle as possible. Your scheme works against that. Furthermore weight training is an extremely catabolic event and when you do not eat as you do you further hinder your progress. The small meal you eat after training does not make up for all the damage you have done. Now that we got that out of the way lets talk about your attitude. First of all what were all those numbers you posted? Were they meant to be impressive and proof that what your doing is good? Well they weren't. I can tell you must not be eating right with just 2500 calories the entire day. Either that or your a twig which is okay we were all there once but to say you have the answer and have knowledge about nutrition is troubling. You need to do a little more research before you blurt things out. Yeah it "works" for you but what are you? Nothing. Just a small guy who has yet to pay his dues. Just a big mouth who thinks he knows it all and loves to argue online about this and that with no concern of helping others but just for the sake of arguing. Now don't take this the wrong way. I'm not saying I have the answers. In fact I now very little but the little I know is from credible sources. I am constantly reading and am on top of everything I do. I leave nothing unquestioned because that how much I care about bodybuilding. If you don't care than continue what your doing. Keep posting on bodybuilding forums, and going to the gym and working out and pretending to be a builder. Your not fooling me but really I could care less.

Now for the question at hand. You should eat something before you workout. I used to workout in the morning and would do a shake with egg protein and a maltodextrin/dextrose mix. I still drink a shake containing carbs about 30 minutes before working out but I train much later in the day now. I also get a pre-workout meals about 1:30 before my session. I think you have plenty of time to get a meal in. For breakfast I really like egg whites and oatmeal. I like to mix them together in the same bowl. You could also due egg whites and grits ala Ronnie Coleman. They're not bad either. I did do the tuna thing for a while but canned tuna is so dry or sometimes funky that it makes me want to throw up whether or not im training. Do a little research on pre workout and nutrition and im sure you'll find some good answers. Personally I follow John Berardi's teachings but there are many other out there. Stay hungry.

you know I had a huge, long, lengthy, word response all typed up...and then I decided I don't wanna drag it out or make it a dick measuring contest with your personalized attacks against me on how little I know or have researched or have done/accomplished or your appearnt knowledge of what shape & size I am... suffice it too say I have spent more time under the bar than you been alive and have spent more time researching and studying exercise/nutrition than you have (most likely; assuming you started around 10-12 yrs of age lifting) spent under the bar yourself...

GUNS
11-30-10, 10:04 am
you know I had a huge, long, lengthy, word response all typed up...and then I decided I don't wanna drag it out or make it a dick measuring contest with your personalized attacks against me on how little I know or have researched or have done/accomplished or your appearnt knowledge of what shape & size I am... suffice it too say I have spent more time under the bar than you been alive and have spent more time researching and studying exercise/nutrition than you have (most likely; assuming you started around 10-12 yrs of age lifting) spent under the bar yourself...

And your pics prove your a god. You have all the answers, so much knowledge for a scrawny little fella who doesn't even use Animal or Universal products according to his bodyspace.

Fricano, great post man, one of the best in this thread. It's useless chatting with this guy. I wish I had that knowledge at 18. Keep up the hard work and research.

MRmichael.hooker
11-30-10, 10:05 am
hi guys,

a question

uhh back to the POINT of this thread, getting our bro some advice... eggs and oatmeal like TTL stated. Quick to make and digest nicely. Plus the oats will digest slower than other carbs, so it should provide a good carb source for the workout

adidas
11-30-10, 11:05 am
And your pics prove your a god. You have all the answers, so much knowledge for a scrawny little fella who doesn't even use Animal or Universal products according to his bodyspace.

Fricano, great post man, one of the best in this thread. It's useless chatting with this guy. I wish I had that knowledge at 18. Keep up the hard work and research.
a god? "scrawny"? based off of pictures over 3 yrs old...nice I love personal attacks...BTW does the supplements I use dictate my size now? I guess if you can't hold a general conversation with someone and a logical debate...then resorting to name calling is second best. You win. yay!

I never claimed to have all the answers, nor do I have an attitude...I just present a possible path that turns the "Accepted" nutritional bodybuilding standard on its ear...and so does anyone else who does an IF diet or Warrior diet method/principle...or hell for that matter so does a Keto diet or Paleo diet...and Lord forbid someone combine any of those 4 above in any sort of way...cause now you're really turning the nutritional world upside down!

rev8ball
11-30-10, 11:16 am
Knock off the shit-throwing, guys, or a few of you are gonna get dropped.

adidas
11-30-10, 11:26 am

on that note, what happened to the "report" button/feature, just out of curiousity?

GUNS
11-30-10, 12:52 pm

Roger!

Jameskarl
11-30-10, 1:15 pm
I am accountable for what I will or will not accomplish. I believe in myself, I stare my creator in the eyes.I usually eat the whole bread even though the more healthy thing would be only whites

Fricano
11-30-10, 1:17 pm
Roger!

Yeah me too I don't want to get "reported".

ghost
11-30-10, 1:55 pm
on that note, what happened to the "report" button/feature, just out of curiousity?

the report button is still there just hard to see, same spot as it was before man. lower left hand corner of the post in the grey section. color of it needs to be changed is all.

ghost
11-30-10, 1:56 pm
Yeah me too I don't want to get "reported".

you wont get reported, you'll get banned. so knock off the bullshit in here.

Mr. Dead
11-30-10, 2:11 pm
Might I suggest a "clean up", to get this thread back on track...???

BarbellManiac
11-30-10, 6:46 pm
I'll be honest here, lately there have been a lot of arguments on the forum, and although I don't care too much, I just want to point out that we personally are here to share ideas without getting bashed. This is the brotherhood, the place where the 140lbs and 280lbs get the same respect and have the equal amount of power to say whatever they want. Plus not everyone is going to see it from your point of view, so why waste ur time convincing them, we are all different, but fighting won't make us similar in any way. Just my 2 cents!

DayDream
12-01-10, 11:45 am
kane sumabat trains in the morning on an empty stomach :)

Aggression
12-01-10, 11:51 am
adidas is the one and only person I know who doesn't eat for 12 hours after waking, trains on an empty stomach, yet still progresses and sets PRs. For most others, eating something prior to training is ideal. OP, stick to the classics, like C.Coronato stated; eggs and oats. Can't beat that. I like to eat 60-90min prior to training and its all good.

adidas
12-01-10, 12:58 pm
adidas is the one and only person I know who doesn't eat for 12 hours after waking, trains on an empty stomach, yet still progresses and sets PRs. For most others, eating something prior to training is ideal. OP, stick to the classics, like C.Coronato stated; eggs and oats. Can't beat that. I like to eat 60-90min prior to training and its all good.

I think most others who do IF/Warrior diets are affraid to mention such around here, due to the back-lash that typically takes place once one admits they do the above as me.

Now, please do not take me saying "go train on an empty stomach", as training on an empty stomach is the "only way"....I am simply mentioning it as an option...I am beyond trying to shovel "my way" on people...which is how I use to come across in the past.

also if I HAD to choose a MEAL I would go with Oats (maybe w/honey) and WHOLE eggs...as you and Coronato said.