PDA

View Full Version : Numbers

mnmvilla2002
11-20-10, 4:41 am
This is something I read on another site. The article is by Dan John.
" I have some simple rules yardsticks regarding what I call an Advanced Beginner (males) in the lifting world:

Bodyweight Bench Press

Double Bodyweight Deadlift

You should also be able to clean and front squat your bodyweight, too.

Folks, that's a pretty low level of strength. Although you "could" play high school football at this level, I'd still suggest you keep coming back to the weightroom.
"
What do you all think of those numbers for an Advanced Beginner? I like to test myself in a mile run. What would be a good bench mark for a 1 mile run?

BarbellManiac
11-20-10, 9:16 am
what are your goals? Strength gains/Powerlifting? Mass? Endurance?

mnmvilla2002
11-20-10, 10:20 am
Good question. My goal is to be "fit". That is why those numbers look like something to shoot for. I think I can and should be able to bench my wieght and deadlift more then bodywieght. I am not traing for a meet, show or event. Just want to be able to stay fit. Does that make sense? Sure I am not the only one who feels this way.

BarbellManiac
11-20-10, 12:00 pm
Good question. My goal is to be "fit". That is why those numbers look like something to shoot for. I think I can and should be able to bench my wieght and deadlift more then bodywieght. I am not traing for a meet, show or event. Just want to be able to stay fit. Does that make sense? Sure I am not the only one who feels this way.

You see, sometimes to gain something you have to lose something else. But I'm sure you can achieve those numbers. The 5-3-1 type program might help with this, just keep your cardio in check if you plan on maintaining a low bodyfat, keep your calories in check. btw, what are your current numbers? That way it would be much more clear how close you are to your goals.

BarbellManiac
11-20-10, 12:01 pm
This is a nice routine when strength is a primary focus for some time period.

http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?id=489

mnmvilla2002
11-22-10, 6:18 am
Thanks.

Cellardweller
11-22-10, 5:32 pm
This is something I read on another site. The article is by Dan John.
" I have some simple rules yardsticks regarding what I call an Advanced Beginner (males) in the lifting world:

Bodyweight Bench Press

Double Bodyweight Deadlift

You should also be able to clean and front squat your bodyweight, too.

Folks, that's a pretty low level of strength. Although you "could" play high school football at this level, I'd still suggest you keep coming back to the weightroom.
"
What do you all think of those numbers for an Advanced Beginner? I like to test myself in a mile run. What would be a good bench mark for a 1 mile run?

I think what he's saying is that once you reach those numbers you are what he would call an advanced beginner. Once you get past those numbers you would then be considered at an intermediate level.