PDA

View Full Version : Bulking: carb ratio and timing?

thehawk
11-20-10, 5:34 am
Whats up animals?
So I've read a lot of articles about nutrition to prepare for bulking up again, did all the math and then I got confused.

Ratio:
I'm following 2.5g of carbs per lb, 1.5g of protein per lb and 0.4g of fats per lb. Do you think I'm gonna over consume carbs?

Timing:
Some say carb intake should me in the morning, pre-wo and post-wo only?
Others say carb intake should be with every meal (except pre-bed) to avoid muscle loss?

Jon
11-20-10, 10:19 am
I would go with every meal... and the amount you take is up to you... your body will not react the same way as everyone else.. I know if I took 2.5 per lbs i would get fat as hell

thehawk
11-20-10, 4:12 pm
Thanks Jon, I've been told the same today about the quantity of my carbs, I guess I will lower them to 1.5g per lb and then see how my body will react to that.

MassiveAttack
11-20-10, 6:35 pm
Hawk, usually I don't post on these forums and just read but in your particular situation I may be able to help you based on my experience. My last bulk I was taking in roughly 2-2.5g carbs/body weight, 1.5-2g protein/body weight, and .5g fat/ body weight.... Dude I got big, but put on a lot of fat. Like uncomfortably fat.

It was a clean bulk too but my carbs were waay too high in retrospect. On this new clean bulk that I'm only 2weeks into, I'm taking 1.5g carbs/weight and 1.5g protein/weight and .5 fat.

So my diet looks roughly like 320g carbs, 320g protein, and 120g fat per day. This may or may not change depending on how my body responds (again, im only 2 weeks in)
Hope that helps.... But as Jon pointed out, everyone is different this is just my experience

PS. As far as timing, I eat protein and carbs with every meal until about 6 or 7pm after that its only proteins and fats.

thehawk
11-21-10, 3:38 pm
Thanks for sharing, I'm also following 1.5g carb per lb now :) lets see how is it gonna be

PORTERHOUSE
11-21-10, 5:07 pm
too much math for a bulk.

Big Wides
11-23-10, 6:00 am
Whats up animals?
So I've read a lot of articles about nutrition to prepare for bulking up again, did all the math and then I got confused.

Ratio:
I'm following 2.5g of carbs per lb, 1.5g of protein per lb and 0.4g of fats per lb. Do you think I'm gonna over consume carbs?

Timing:
Some say carb intake should me in the morning, pre-wo and post-wo only?
Others say carb intake should be with every meal (except pre-bed) to avoid muscle loss?

WIth past bulks how much carbs have you taken in and what where the results. How much do you weigh? See what I would do in this situation is try the ratios that you have listed there for a month and see if you like the results and what you look like in the mirror. If you are happy with it, then you've got the right ratios, if not then cut back on the carbs or fats. Its all up to you and how you want to look.

As for timing I am a believer that carbs should be taken throughout the day, the nutrients need something to shuttle them to the muscles. Also, carb intake surrounding your sessions, pre, intra, and post are crucial as well. Sometimes I have consumed 100-150g of carbs surrounding my sessions and I know some guys out there who consume 200-250g of carbs surrounding their workouts. The bottom line is, what can your body handle and will you be happy with the results?

Aggression
11-23-10, 9:16 am
You have to figure out what works for you and you only. Big Wides suggests eating carbs all day long. Meanwhile, I only eat carbs postWO. Yet we're both able to see gains. I don't like to deal with ratios, nor do I count how many grams of pro/carb/fats I have in a day. I eat, plain and simple. If I want to gain more weight, I add some extra chicken to my plate. Don't over complicate things.

With you, only you can know if you're overdoing it with carbs. For me, I need to keep carbs low, otherwise I just pack on the fat. Others can eat a gallon of ice cream every night and still be shredded.

PORTERHOUSE
11-23-10, 9:51 am
You have to figure out what works for you and you only. Big Wides suggests eating carbs all day long. Meanwhile, I only eat carbs postWO. Yet we're both able to see gains. I don't like to deal with ratios, nor do I count how many grams of pro/carb/fats I have in a day. I eat, plain and simple. If I want to gain more weight, I add some extra chicken to my plate. Don't over complicate things.

With you, only you can know if you're overdoing it with carbs. For me, I need to keep carbs low, otherwise I just pack on the fat. Others can eat a gallon of ice cream every night and still be shredded.

Im the same way bro, gotta keep it real easy on the carbs. I focus all mine around my training as well, although I do have a cup of oatmeal in the mornings.

thehawk
11-26-10, 4:53 am
So bottom line is, everyone has got to figure out what works for him. Lesson learned.