PDA

View Full Version : bad symmetry, and posture help me correct it.

toothpicklegs
11-23-10, 5:37 pm
Ok So I've noticed my back is disproportionate from side to side, especially when benchpressing. if I don't put any weights on the bar or only hold a wooden stick in a bench-pressing position the bar is tilting noticably when I hold it straight out.

I don't understand why this is, I've trained my back with one-armed rows with the same weight and the funny part is that I seem stronger on my left side when doing dumbell rows(it feels easier) which is the smaller side.(besides I'm right-handed) I figured If i used the same weight for both hands they'd even out...it's been almost 3 years now and they haven't.

Another thing is my posture, I've been hoping it would improve with all the back training I do, but it doesn't. My shoulders kind of point forwards, in spite of the fact that I can basicly go for 10 reps in rows with the same weight as I max for 1 rep in the bench.(approx 210 lbs). I'm always at the university (I study biotechnical enginering) while the physiotherapists are open so I can't really go to one until well, after new year (they'll be closed for christmas before I get a chance). I've tried doing exercises I found on youtube, worn some kind of shoulder wraps to pull em back etc, but they didn't help at all.

I don't know if it has to do with this but I sleep kinda wierd, always tossing and turning, with a lot of tension in my neck, but when it comes to that I don't even know how to try to correct it. I'm mostly happy if I can get to sleep at all and not stare at the ceiling for hours on end.

I think these 3 are connected, anyone knows anything to do about this?

Carrnage
11-23-10, 5:48 pm
For posture do the Cobra Stretch! Whenever you sit down to watch tv, just go on the floor and do it instead of sitting on the couch, it will stretch your spine really good.

Mauricio
11-23-10, 6:25 pm
weight training doesn't correct posture properly brother, it does worsen it sometimes. genetics and proportion play an important role on the position of your shoulders and how they look while resting; it can mean that your thorax is smaller than the average person or your clavicle is longer than normal. your best bet is to spend some time to find a good chiropractor, if they can't fix your posture you can at least treat your pain and discomfort. when it comes to rowing or any one handed exercise that you were refering you can't really tell what side of your body is weaker because rows, for instance, use several other secondary muscles. it can mean your forearm and rear deltoid are more developed on your "good" side and this causes your lats muscles to get less work overall, thus your "lagging" side could be working your lats harder.

BryanSmash!
11-23-10, 6:26 pm
What happens when you use dumbbells?

toothpicklegs
11-23-10, 6:36 pm
For posture do the Cobra Stretch! Whenever you sit down to watch tv, just go on the floor and do it instead of sitting on the couch, it will stretch your spine really good.
I haven't watched TV for at least 1,5 years, I simply never have time for it, all my sitting is done at lectures, writing reports on computers(I don't have a laptop) group assignments etc, none of which is made for sitting on the floor...

weight training doesn't correct posture properly brother, it does worsen it sometimes. genetics and proportion play an important role on the position of your shoulders and how they look while resting; it can mean that your thorax is smaller than the average person or your clavicle is longer than normal. your best bet is to spend some time to find a good chiropractor, if they can't fix your posture you can at least treat your pain and discomfort. when it comes to rowing or any one handed exercise that you were refering you can't really tell what side of your body is weaker because rows, for instance, use several other secondary muscles. it can mean your forearm and rear deltoid are more developed on your "good" side and this causes your lats muscles to get less work overall, thus your "lagging" side could be working your lats harder.

Thanks for the info, not sure how to use it though... and i don't know of any chiropractors that would be open when I'm not stuck at the university...

What happens when you use dumbbells?

In what exercise? rows? it's easier to do em with my size-lagging side than with my other side...

BryanSmash!
11-23-10, 6:46 pm
In what exercise? rows? it's easier to do em with my size-lagging side than with my other side...

For pressing.