PDA

View Full Version : hernia?!?!

The Prodigy
11-29-10, 12:27 am
yo fellas serious question here...

just found out i have a hernia, not to painful or anything except when i use my abs or do any powerlifting like deads n squats. i was told i could get an operation to fix it, but im a little worried. does anyone have any experience with this matter?

I got it about 2 months ago deadlifting. i tweaked a nerve in my back a week earlier, and upon doing my warmup sets for deadlifts, i felt a twinge and im assuming thats when i got it.

any and all coments appreciated.

Oz_78
11-29-10, 3:24 am

just found out i have a hernia, not to painful or anything except when i use my abs or do any powerlifting like deads n squats. i was told i could get an operation to fix it, but im a little worried. does anyone have any experience with this matter?

I got it about 2 months ago deadlifting. i tweaked a nerve in my back a week earlier, and upon doing my warmup sets for deadlifts, i felt a twinge and im assuming thats when i got it.

Definitely get it operated on as soon as possible. Felt something not quite right my self 2 weeks back, had a scan last week and while thankful I don't have one, did do a lot of reading from when I initially thought it'd come up, up until the scan. From what I read up on in those 4 days, will require an operation where they put a small mesh webbing where the tear occurred. Recovery time does vary, so don't let it get you down. Run a search on the net and you'll find a lot of information about hernia's.

All the best, let us know how it all goes for you.

Cheers.

Shukin
11-29-10, 3:53 am
Ask your Doctor first and foremost.
I had one for a while before operating, I opted for key hole surgery which I would recommend, they make 3 small incisions which have since disappeared, recovery time is quicker and less chance of infection.

shukin

pushin weight
11-29-10, 10:27 am

Hate to hear that man,your a young guy take care of yourself bro,hope everything recovers well.Im curious,were you trying to lift weight that was just too much?

The Prodigy
11-29-10, 4:54 pm
Hate to hear that man,your a young guy take care of yourself bro,hope everything recovers well.Im curious,were you trying to lift weight that was just too much?

thanks guys,

pushin weight: nah i normally pull 5 plates for 2-3 reps and i was on 365, standard warmup, and something just gave

the dilema is that im in the middle of ice hockey season for my school, and i dont want to miss any games. doc says operation is recomended but not necessary. said i could wait, but it would just liken the chance of making the injury larger

hate this shit it really pisses me off, start making gains again, then something like this happens. o well such is the sport of lifting

PORTERHOUSE
11-29-10, 6:55 pm
what kind of hernia is it? I got a ventral hernia last October, didn't get it operated on until the following January. I was back in the gym in 4 weeks.

The Prodigy
11-29-10, 7:18 pm
what kind of hernia is it? I got a ventral hernia last October, didn't get it operated on until the following January. I was back in the gym in 4 weeks.

family doc said he wasnt sure, but the hospital said they think its a urgenital one maybe?

Shukin
11-29-10, 7:33 pm
where is it? just below the waist line around the pubic area?

Machine
11-29-10, 10:09 pm
I am on my fourth one now, if the lump is able to be pushed back in then dont operate, the real danger is when it cannot be pushed in. That means that the lump (a piece of your intestines) is being strangulated...it will become dead if blood is not allowed to return into that particular peice of intestine.

Plan your surgery around some down time...and demand the Kevlar mesh...people say it cannot be blown out but I went back too soon and blew it out a few times.

No big deal just be careful and remember to plan the surgery around your off time unless you have the above described emergency conditions present.

Good luck

Machine

BigChrisF
11-30-10, 12:05 am
Get the surgery when you can. It doesn't seem immediate enough to put you out of hockey season. When you do get it done, make sure that your surgeon knows you are a weight lifter and to use the mylar or kevlar mesh. Otherwise they might just try to oversew the hole and hope for the best...

Machine, you should look into stainless steel mesh and staples...or a cast iron truss...or a midget to follow you around and hold your guts in...

The Prodigy
11-30-10, 12:50 am
where is it? just below the waist line around the pubic area?

ya, on like the right side

thanks for all the input guys

Shukin
11-30-10, 1:35 am
ya, on like the right side

Ok, mine was on the left.
Does it come and go? can you push it in? does it disappear when you lie down?
I had mine for like 6 months before I got the operation, opt for the key hole, with the mesh recommended above, my Dr. said he could check the other side from the inside with the scope during the operation. Could have happened any time on ya bro, weak area from when your testies dropped.

Respect,
Shukin

S-Temple
11-30-10, 11:43 am
I have a herniated back myself. Currently 1 month 3 weeks recovering. I can still lift but kinda little and must always watch out for my lower back by wearing a belt. If you're suffering intense pain or in a rush for your hockey game then you could go for an operation. If not you could try and let it heal by itself.

FITGYM
11-30-10, 12:23 pm

The best advice anyone can give is to tell you to take it easy until it's fixed.

If it's in the ABdominal area then make sure to get the WEB Insert when you do get it fixed unless you want recurring hernia's.....You will be fine. It's a simple surgery and you will be back training in no time....

If it's in the back then don't prolong fixing it cause you will lose range of motion and get worse over time....

PORTERHOUSE
11-30-10, 12:45 pm
I have a herniated back myself. Currently 1 month 3 weeks recovering. I can still lift but kinda little and must always watch out for my lower back by wearing a belt. If you're suffering intense pain or in a rush for your hockey game then you could go for an operation. If not you could try and let it heal by itself.

A herniated disk in the back is completely different. If it is not severe, they can SOMETIMES heal themselves with rest in about 8-10 weeks.

A hernia in the abdominal wall is a tear in the muscles that allow the intestines to come through. These don't heal themselves and require surgery to be repaired. I had a web mesh repair, and like I said, I was back in action in 4 weeks. I had my hernia for several months before having it repaired, and continued to train (against doctors orders). For the most part, hernias are not a medical emergency, the only concern being that they can strangulate, which requires emergency surgery. If you don't have it fixed, it will continue to get bigger and bigger though.

If I were you, i'de make an appointment to get that fixed up, its really not that bad of a surgery at all, and you'll be back in no time.

Machine
11-30-10, 8:51 pm
Get the surgery when you can. It doesn't seem immediate enough to put you out of hockey season. When you do get it done, make sure that your surgeon knows you are a weight lifter and to use the mylar or kevlar mesh. Otherwise they might just try to oversew the hole and hope for the best...

Machine, you should look into stainless steel mesh and staples...or a cast iron truss...or a midget to follow you around and hold your guts in...

Absolute best post I have ever read...thank you!

MACHINE

almosteasy
11-30-10, 11:46 pm
i have a femoral hernia and the doc said its not a huge deal now and he knows i workout all the time..he said i wont always be as strong as i am now though and eventually (30 yrs down the road) it will just pop all the way out and i'll have to get it surgically repaired. he pretty much told me it was up to me when i got it fixed and as long as it doesnt hurt everything is fine.

good luck

grishaxxx
12-02-10, 1:08 am
I've had an inguinal hernia for a long time - much TOO long without action -, and tho it has not given me any trouble (not painful, can be shoved back in pretty easily, etc.), it's made me cautious about moves that might make it worse. Now I have health insurance again, I can get it fixed, so this thread has been fucking invaluable (didn't know about the kevlar/mesh reinforcements, for example), not to mention BigChrisF's "Midget Solution" - which is just fucking brilliant.

Also helps to know it's such a common problem. Thanks!

BigChrisF
12-02-10, 1:52 pm
Little people need jobs too...