PDA

View Full Version : Triceps: How To Get Them Wider, Bigger?

eatNlift
02-28-07, 10:53 pm
i see results doing hammer curls,got me some wider biceps. but i was wondering which tricep workout will get me some wider tri's. someone tol me reverse close grip bench press.thanx

focused
02-28-07, 10:56 pm
i see results doing hammer curls,got me some wider biceps. but i was wondering which tricep workout will get me some wider tri's. someone tol me reverse close grip bench press.thanx

yeah IMO reverse close grip bench and close grip bench help hit every part of the tricep. go heavy and go hard bro.

gsb239
03-01-07, 1:47 am
Reverse grip bench presses are awesome. So are close grips, dips (parallel bar and bench), pushdowns and skullcrushers. Those are the major tricep mass builders. Go heavy but always watch your form.

hjayss
03-01-07, 2:20 am
Ready type in SEARCH AND TRICEPS AW MAN THAT IS A GOOD BURN.

Toni69
03-01-07, 5:52 am
Ready type in SEARCH AND TRICEPS AW MAN THAT IS A GOOD BURN.

Your too funny...too freakin'funny..but thanks for helping us out clean stuff up.

Mangekyou
01-18-09, 8:41 pm
Hello comrades....this is pretty shameful to say but i was not blessed with outstanding genetics, but hell makes me work all the more intensely. My triceps i work them twice a week and are the body part the absolutely refuse to grow....any suggestions? Besides skullcrushers ofcourse because thats the excersice that is never absent when i work out triceps.

redskin 344
01-18-09, 8:47 pm
Probably because you are working them twice a week. Work each muscle group once a weel or else you could be overtraining.

stringed bean
01-18-09, 8:49 pm
i find over head exercises real good for tris. try overhead extentions with the rope on the cables also opening up the rope at the end of the motion gives me a good burn. also try close grip bench press. i myself have found that higher reps like 3 sets of 10-12 make me really sore for days after. dips are good to if you want to switch it up, remember to keep elbows in.

pmug0000
01-18-09, 8:59 pm
For starters I would do tri's only once a week. They're already getting work with chest and shoulders anyway. And as far as exercises go heavy CGBP's and weighted dips should definitely add some mass.

Mangekyou
01-18-09, 9:12 pm
Thanks i guess ill go back to once a week routine then, and try out those new exercises.

redskin 344
01-18-09, 9:13 pm
i find over head exercises real good for tris. try overhead extentions with the rope on the cables also opening up the rope at the end of the motion gives me a good burn. also try close grip bench press. i myself have found that higher reps like 3 sets of 10-12 make me really sore for days after. dips are good to if you want to switch it up, remember to keep elbows in.

Same here bro. I as surprised to see a lot of definition on my tries when doing strict presses

ghost
01-18-09, 9:57 pm
Close grip bench press
skullcrushers
ranger pushups
db kickbacks, you dont see many people doing those anymore.
dips
rope pressdowns

those are just some of the amazingly effective exercises for tri's.

SelfInflicted
01-18-09, 10:58 pm
Close grip bench press
ranger pushups

Are db kickbacks really that good? I read an article saying it wasn't, but I'd like to hear what others think.

Also, what are ranger pushups?

Firefist
01-18-09, 11:29 pm
i used to think kickbacks were a pussy excercise; until i did them finally, supersetting them after skull crushers. just make sure your not swinging, and youll learn to appreciate them.

mritter3
01-19-09, 8:22 am
If you want to make them bigger do some heavy dips, and some close grip bench press, but i think twice a week is a bit much for them especially when they get hit on other days, one day and let them grow my man. good luck

WI_Elite
01-19-09, 8:27 am
heavy dips, or weighted bench dips, skull crushers, do high reps of 12-15, usually higher reps can stimulate a lagging muscle

simpleguy
01-19-09, 9:20 am
I think it's an individual things, but my tris are often sore after a chest or a delt workout, so training them twice a week is out of the question for me... maybe you should try hitting them once a week only

rhane
01-19-09, 9:56 am
Mine only started to grow when I went for super heavy dips. I used to be able to press down all kinds of weight with good form and still got nowhere. It had to be the compound move that brought them up.

Feel The Power
01-19-09, 10:08 am
I just did these this weekend and its been a while. I did them for my last exercise just 2 sets of 15lbs for 15 reps, but I really squeezed at the top of each rep. Awesome pump!!

before that

close grip bench
seated dumbell tricep pullover
rope pushdown
dumbell kickbacks

theharjmann
01-19-09, 10:52 am
Bro,

COMPOUND MOVEMENTS = BIG MUSCLES

The guys in my gym with the BIGGEST triceps are the ones who do dips and close grip bench ONLY. They have never even touched a curl bar or a set of cables other than to move them out of their way...yes they move whole cable stations out of their way at times!

I know even im guilty...i dont think ive hit my triceps properly unless i hit the rope or the EZ bar, but these boys are living proof that COMPOUND=SIZE.

Do one session of just dips every week and i'll put my steak on it that your triceps will grow!

Peace

prowrestler
01-19-09, 12:48 pm
progression

that "exercise" works for all muscles

if i go from curlin 20 pound dumbells to 115 pound dumbells, im pretty sure my biceps will have proof of this

close grip benchin, tricep ext of all forms, rollin db extensions, close grip dips

just pick a barbell move + a DB/cable move per workout, nothin else and do 6 sets of 3 reps on the barbell exercise after warm up and 4 sets of higher reps on the DB/cable exercise.

once an exercise grows dull aka plateau, switch it for another of its category

some barbell exercises i prescribe

close grip bench
close grip dips ( same class even though its a calisthenic)
california press (press up, extension down)
close grip military press (sick 1)
weighted close hand pushups
upper body vertical jump clsoe handed

some DB/cable exercises

db rolling extensions
overhead 1 arm ext
overhead 2 arm 1 db extensions
kickbacks
pressdowns, all handle variations
tate press
db JM press

Tron
01-20-09, 12:29 am
Close grip bench press
skullcrushers
ranger pushups
dips
rope pressdowns

There are other such things such as straight bar pressdowns... angled, etc... but they are all variations of the same... There is one definite missing here... Close-Grip Bench Press... nothing builds strength in the tries like such a beast.

Work arms only once a week unless you quit doing back and chest days.... That's overkill and you will be overtraining those body parts. In this stuff... anything other than intensity, eating, and sleeping... less is more.

Rabbit5
01-20-09, 4:07 am
Make sure you always peak you muscle into a pinch on every rep. You need to feel the tricep get to a point where it hurts a little. This forces blood into the sarcomeres and always go for an all out pump.

ghost
01-20-09, 10:24 am
hit this up for some serious arm growth... article by Schak
http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=272

MojoMike36
01-20-09, 10:43 am
My triceps weren't worth a shit til I started doing both flat and incline CGBP, heavy low rep dips, and heavy skullcrushers.

prowrestler
01-20-09, 10:55 am
hit this up for some serious arm growth... article by Schak
http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=272

i liked this one very much, one of my first animal articles i ever read

simpleguy
01-20-09, 11:27 am
i liked this one very much, one of my first animal articles i ever read

best part of it is:

you decide that you want to start with a cable tricep pushdown supersetting it with a standing EZ bar curl. Your partner does not like the idea and offers a different alternative. However, you being the more knowledgeable tell him to shut up or go home. He accepts.

prowrestler
01-20-09, 11:55 am
best part of it is:

you decide that you want to start with a cable tricep pushdown supersetting it with a standing EZ bar curl. Your partner does not like the idea and offers a different alternative. However, you being the more knowledgeable tell him to shut up or go home. He accepts.

its happend but not on an "arm" day with me, a leg day back in my BB days

C.Coronato
01-20-09, 12:08 pm
have a partner push your arms close to your sides as you do skull crushers, or cable pushdowns. make sure your hitting the right muscle. if you go too heavy, your gonna over comp and use your shoulders, if you go too light, it will be way too easy. Make sure you squeeze and contract at every rep. They will grow brotha. Give it time.

The Texian
01-20-09, 6:26 pm
didn't read all the way through each of the other posts, but here are my suggestions.

1. Frequency of training can be up to 3 x weekly, if done sensibly. I am *assuming* that you have some time under your belt, training wise, and are not one of those "I started training 3 months ago, and my arms are not 18" yet" idiots.

2. Training them 2 x weekly s not a bad thing at all, especially if you schedule your training so that once every 4 or 5 weeks, you only train them 1 x weekly.

3. Sets might ought be in the 4-6 range, reps 5 and under. Maybe one or two sets of some "pumping" or isolation move done once or twice a week, after the bulk work is done. Sets of 10-12 reps. Don't even focus on this, in terms of your main energy, and don't save anything up for it. Do it almost as an afterthought.

4. Things that REALLY affect the triceps (among a whole list of shit) include the close grip bench, weighted dips, and overhead presses/push-presses. if you were to dedicate 2 training sessions per week to a triceps focus for 3-4 months, you could incorporate one of those primary movers as your main exercise each day, toss in a few good sets of dumbell bench presses for the pecs, some extensions or pressdowns for pumping, and be pretty good to go.

5. The bulk of your work ought be done in the 80-85% (of 1RM) range. A good look at a Prilpens chart or Westside template would give you some ideas on progression.

BeastCook
05-02-09, 1:43 pm
hey recently for like the past 2 months i havent been sore after my tricep wrokouts....i mean i have been getting strength gains like crazy but i havent seen anything different in the mirror, i dont have much bodyfat either, i use to get so sore i could barely flex my tricep the next day....heres my tricep plan and my split....maybe its just a time will tell thing??

triceps
joint/tricep light warmups with cables

close grip bench press 3-5 sets x 5-10 reps
dumbbell skullcrusher 2 sets x 5-12 reps
one arm dumbbell skullcrusher 2 sets x 8-12 reps
tricep pushdown (each week is a different attachment) 3 sets x 5-10 reps
dips 2 sets to failure

heres my split

sunday- chest
monday- back, traps
tuesday- rest
wednesday- delts
thrusday- legs
friday- arms (for the last month ive been doing biceps with back)
saturday- rest

maybe i should train arms once every 2 weeks?

Dolby
05-02-09, 2:41 pm
hey recently for like the past 2 months i havent been sore after my tricep wrokouts....i mean i have been getting strength gains like crazy but i havent seen anything different in the mirror, i dont have much bodyfat either, i use to get so sore i could barely flex my tricep the next day....heres my tricep plan and my split....maybe its just a time will tell thing??

triceps

dips 2 sets to failure

you have put for example 5-10 reps but does that mean you do 5 then 8 then 10 etc... or keep it the same, like for example if for so many weeks u did 3 x 8 i would say try changing the rep scheme , maybe 3 x 12, 4 x 6 ... or change the exercises you do for triceps!

could even try slowing down alot on the eccentirc phase, eg close grip bench on the way down have like 4 second decent, then explode back up, all just ideas, maybe try dropsets or pyramid sets, all the usual suspects of intensity increasing! reaaly try and feel the tricep working even if it means droppin the weight

hope ive helped! i tried haha!...

mritter3
05-02-09, 2:42 pm
when i do triceps this is usually what i do, rev. grip bench..great exercise, heavy dips...with extra weight, and skulls..sometimes incline, flat, or decline...don't need much than that, close grip bench every now and then, but if your looking to add mass to them focus on the heavy compounds, after you put some mass on then focus on isolation movements, try mixing up the rep ranges to keep them guessing, don't let the workouts get stale.

Giant Killer
05-02-09, 2:46 pm
I'd decrease the volume and increase the rest time. If you are hitting pressing movements on chest and shoulder day your tri's are really getting worked, possibly beyond their recovery capacity, which would explain why you've gained strength but not size.

SDR
05-02-09, 6:30 pm
give weighted dips a go
and straight bar pushdowns but really go slow on the negative portion of the rep

BeastCook
05-02-09, 7:22 pm
give weighted dips a go
and straight bar pushdowns but really go slow on the negative portion of the rep

i always do dips, i cant do weighted dips yet....

Firefist
05-03-09, 1:34 am
its all good, youll eventually get em weighted.

ive been doing weighted dips for the last 4 weeks and the results are very noticeable. you dont have to do them weighted, take futilekyle's way and do em real sloooooow on the negative with your bodyweight, using the supported machine if need be. dips have become absolutely nessesary in my training. I dont close grip anymore. i do 5-6 sets of dips, 5-6 sets of skulls, and 3 sets of extensions for tris.

MightyMouse666
05-04-09, 7:51 am
Skullcrushers (with an easy bar), on the negative phase bring the bar behind your head (over the top of the head rather than to the forehead). If you don't do this already, it should get you nice and sore since you'll get a full stretch and ROM.

SDR
05-05-09, 3:14 pm

excellent, then thats a goal...now think if you were to do sets with weight for your dips, wouldnt they grow?

If I were you I'd do dips (weighted if possible) as your first exercise, if everything is going good you'll get strong in no time.....over a year ago I wasn't very good at even bodyweight dips but now I can handle the big plates attathced to me for reps..

Beast Genetics
05-05-09, 4:19 pm
triceps

dips 2 sets to failure

heres my split

sunday- chest
monday- back, traps
tuesday- rest
wednesday- delts
thrusday- legs
friday- arms (for the last month ive been doing biceps with back)
saturday- rest

Well if you are doing this exact routine every week that's why your are plateauing. From week to week your program or routine should be a little bit different, your triceps are now used to that routine. Switch it up for example one week instead of doing close grip bench, do california presses. It's a similar ROM and a serious exercise. You can swap out tricep pushdowns with seated overhead tricep DB extensions, dips are a staple in tricep development so that's great.

I have never been a big fan of pairing Back and Bi's and chest with Tri's simply because if you do chest first you are taxing your tri's to do so and will not get the full potential out of them for mass/strength gains, but it is possible so if it's working for you stick with it.

Beast Genetics
05-05-09, 4:26 pm

I just checked your journal homie, if your really doing 3 sets of 15-20 Bodyweight dips, you can do weighted dips bro shoot for weighted 5-8 reps.

BeastCook
05-05-09, 6:28 pm
I just checked your journal homie, if your really doing 3 sets of 15-20 Bodyweight dips, you can do weighted dips bro shoot for weighted 5-8 reps.

i never done them yet, what should i start with? should i start with a 25 or a 45lb plate?

spartacus21
05-05-09, 6:40 pm

I agree with Beast on this. Your workout is pretty high in reps so shoot for lower reps with more weight. Maybe even incorporate the 5x5 scheme into your regimen. That definitely helped me with both strength and size gains

Beast Genetics
05-05-09, 7:50 pm
i never done them yet, what should i start with? should i start with a 25 or a 45lb plate?
Start with a 25 and see how many you can rep out, you'd be suprised as to how many you should be able to do. If you don't have a dip belt have someone place a DB where your legs cross and interlock behind you. Know what I'm talking about?

The1
05-06-09, 5:24 pm
Skullcrushers, dips, tricep push downs. Just keep increasing the weight a few lbs each week. Basically, as you become stronger, your tris WILL become bigger

H@rl3yB08
08-01-09, 10:49 am
Now I know that people have probably asked this question before, but I've searched the forvm and can't find what I'm looking for. Now I'm 19, and have been training for a couple years, but no matter what I do I can't get my triceps bigger. I do my tri's twice a week, monday and thursday. I eat 5-6 times a day, consuming a good deal of protein. My workouts normally consist of in no certain order:
Rope pushdowns 3 sets, 12-15 reps
Straight bar pushdowns 3 sets 12-15
Close-grip bench 4 sets 8-10
Skullcrushers 3 sets 8-12
Dips 3 sets 8-12
One arm reverse cable pushdowns or dbell kickbacks 2 sets till failure
Now am I doing to much, not enough?? Are there other exercises I can try to enhance and speed up growth and bulk?? Are there certain movements that would help give me the "viking boat" arm?? I need help guys, I no it doesn't happend overnight, but damn.

GJN5002
08-01-09, 10:58 am
just change your routine. Are you doing the same routine twice a week? If so stop doing that. If anything atleast have two different workouts to do. I think you are doing way too much, 15 sets twice a week plus chest training and shoulders whihc indirectly trains tri's. I used to do them once a week usualy 3 exercises about 9-12 sets.

Fury317
08-01-09, 11:02 am
Stop training them twice a week. When it comes to growth, less is more (in most cases). Hit them, along with biceps, once a week, or even bi weekly. Tri's get hit with chest and shoulders. Youre doing too much and not giving your body enough time to repair the damage youre doing in the gym.

Also, make sure youre training the other muscles groups hard. The bigger your legs, chest, back etc the bigger your arms will be.

weedlewott
08-01-09, 11:36 am
just change your routine. Are you doing the same routine twice a week? If so stop doing that. If anything atleast have two different workouts to do. I think you are doing way too much, 15 sets twice a week plus chest training and shoulders whihc indirectly trains tri's. I used to do them once a week usualy 3 exercises about 9-12 sets.

Stop training them twice a week. When it comes to growth, less is more (in most cases). Hit them, along with biceps, once a week, or even bi weekly. Tri's get hit with chest and shoulders. Youre doing too much and not giving your body enough time to repair the damage youre doing in the gym.

Also, make sure youre training the other muscles groups hard. The bigger your legs, chest, back etc the bigger your arms will be.

What they said. I personally take Fury's over gjn's, but it's a me thing. They're both right, you just gotta see what works. But you are doing too much if you focus on Tris twice a week. You've got your tris used as a secondary muscle in a ton of lifts like Fury said. Just slow down on the volume and make sure you go heavy on your Tri day.

mcbeast
08-01-09, 1:55 pm
Gonna go with fury on this one.

Warm up your elbows with some underhand pulldowns.Then go ahead into smith cg bench.Using the smith will help significantly.Try higher volume.Maybe 6-10 sets of 4-10.If Cg isnt your thing try the same deal for dips.For a total burnout do a set or two of pressdowns afterwords.Just my 0.02

IRN-NML
08-01-09, 2:07 pm
The rope pushdowns; hi rep, lt - med. wgt, I've used as a warmup; seems to help keep the elbow tendonitis from flaring up.

Otherwise, yeah, cut back to 1/week & maybe just close grips, skulls & dips; you're probably ready for weighted dips. You could add seated overhead dbell presses. Like the dips, keep your elbows tucked in tight; lower just below top of your head and raise it clear to the top.

Close grip, try the Smith machine when you really want to push the weight.

You might even want to do a few non warmup 15-25 rep sessions every 4th workout or so.

whosnexttt
08-01-09, 5:21 pm
Now I know that people have probably asked this question before, but I've searched the forvm and can't find what I'm looking for. Now I'm 19, and have been training for a couple years, but no matter what I do I can't get my triceps bigger. I do my tri's twice a week, monday and thursday. I eat 5-6 times a day, consuming a good deal of protein. My workouts normally consist of in no certain order:
Dips 3 sets 8-12
Now am I doing to much, not enough?? Are there other exercises I can try to enhance and speed up growth and bulk?? Are there certain movements that would help give me the "viking boat" arm?? I need help guys, I no it doesn't happend overnight, but damn.

when ever your having trouble bringing up a body part drop the machine and cable work, do basic stuff like close grip bench, skulls behind the head, dips will work, doing all the pushdowns will just fatigue the muscle way to much for us naturals, save the cables and machine work for the pro bodybuilders

oh and hit triceps once a week because if you have a chest and shoulders day that means your hitting triceps 4x a week

and stick to basic movements, you will be suprised by the results youl get by dropping all the machine and cable work

BubbyLight
08-02-09, 12:36 am
Dips 3 sets 8-12

First off. doing way to much. and i only keep the 12-15 for warm up or failure. put some weight on the stacks or bar and push it. but dont get away from your form. ELBOWS IN has always done the trick for me

J A Y
08-02-09, 1:51 am
ELBOWS IN has always done the trick for me

pretty much everybody in here has come up with a a good suggestion so im not going to repeat what they all said.. use their advice bro..

and the quote above for me is absolutely spot on with triceps, i see countless people in the gym trying to do ridiculously heavy weight with tricep work, all with horrendous form, but its because one person does it and they all copy...

look up some form issues too along with just the exercises... u might know loads of exercises but if u aint doin em right..whats the point?

good luck bro

SDR
08-02-09, 2:25 am
looks like your doing too much,
dont even overtrain them,

I suggest starting off with dips, hopefully your strong enough to do them weighted-if not, aim to be.

then hit a pushdown exercises and end with an extension (skull crushers) or something...

BubbyLight
08-02-09, 10:17 am
pretty much everybody in here has come up with a a good suggestion so im not going to repeat what they all said.. use their advice bro..

and the quote above for me is absolutely spot on with triceps, i see countless people in the gym trying to do ridiculously heavy weight with tricep work, all with horrendous form, but its because one person does it and they all copy...

look up some form issues too along with just the exercises... u might know loads of exercises but if u aint doin em right..whats the point?

good luck bro

thanks bro, and i usually start with krushers then hitup pushdowns(dont use ur traps, hence elbows in) and then maybe dips. i say maybe due to a bad shoulder. overhead ext are always a nice way or switching it up.

theharjmann
08-02-09, 1:07 pm
1) Only train them once a week

2) Focus on heavy compound movements (close grip bench, dips)

3) No more than 3 exercises per workout

4) eat well

5) give it time

t_mh
08-02-09, 3:25 pm
Like whosnext said up there, skullcrushers, dips and close grips are the essentials.

And, like everyone said, you are probably hitting the tris too much. Go heavy and less often.

mritter3
08-02-09, 4:00 pm
your def. doing too much....twice a week is too much, once a week, 3-4 exercises and thats it..skulls, cgbp, pushdowns, and dips

shizz702
08-02-09, 10:17 pm
Dips, skulls, and close grip benching are all great tricep builders, focus on progression with those exercises and your triceps will grow.

whosnexttt
08-03-09, 3:37 pm
actually i never really found a benefit from close grip benching (but thats just me) ive built my horse shoes from just regular benching on chest day, and then i train the fat head on the back of the tricep on arm day

t_mh
08-03-09, 3:46 pm
I tend to focus on SCs and dips the most but a few sets of close grips helps and a lot of people love them.

BigAnt
08-03-09, 3:58 pm
How are you?

First of all we gotta jack our caloric intake up to gain size...right? ~

More good foods of protein/carbs/fats...

Heavy compound shoulder and chest exercises will also get some meat on those tris.

Me and just me (we are all different and have different muscle insertions-genetics-feel good exercises/these are exercises where you ALWAYS FEEL IT) Example: I have a good friend who has great biceps and does concentration curls and his arms ARE ALWAYS swole, but when I do concentration curls, I feel nothing! So, Again just me--I like skull crushers, close grips bench on the Smith machine, rope push downs and dips...

Try to use different angles and reps if your normal routine gets stale. And please give it time, your arms will grow, it just takes time!

Hollow
08-03-09, 4:10 pm
Here's another good one from BigAnt that was posted some time ago:

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=19257

H@rl3yB08
08-05-09, 12:17 pm
Guys thanks so much. I did tris last night, started off with cgbp on smith, did 5 sets of 6-10, went to skulls for 4 sets of 8-10, did 3 sets of weighted dips and finished off with 2 sets of rope pushdowns till failure. My arms were so pumped I felt instantly better. I owe it to the forvm once again.

Fury317
08-05-09, 12:19 pm
Guys thanks so much. I did tris last night, started off with cgbp on smith, did 5 sets of 6-10, went to skulls for 4 sets of 8-10, did 3 sets of weighted dips and finished off with 2 sets of rope pushdowns till failure. My arms were so pumped I felt instantly better. I owe it to the forvm once again.

Thats what we like to hear bro! How are they feeling today?

Really glad you had a great workout man, but honestly that still might be too much haha. Might want to bump down to 10-12 sets instead of 14. Just my thoughts. If 14 works for you though, stick with it! Who am I to question success haha.

BigAnt
08-05-09, 2:56 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VERY SOLID WORK...
Most importantly...You--YOU felt the swole!

Keep strong...and please remember....Rome was not built in a day!

IRN-NML
08-05-09, 8:25 pm

There's something satisfying about trashing the triceps with these good solid lifts. Glad you felt it!

IronJunkie
08-05-09, 11:30 pm
I've always liked standing barbell overhead extensions to shock the tris, but the main 2 are definitely (weighted) dips and close-grip presses for some serious mass. Side note: Use good form on the overheads because it's all too easy to make the elbow joints sore. Happy gains, peace.

sideburnz
08-06-09, 10:17 am
People keep saying here how cg bench presses are great and all.. its been great for me but it has been greater when i do them on a decline.. trust me its much more difficult.. & I've gotten better results..

theharjmann
08-06-09, 10:20 am
And please give it time, your arms will grow, it just takes time!

yes yes yes!

people forget that sooooo easily