PDA

View Full Version : Training quads and hamstrings on separate days?

BarbellManiac
12-01-10, 5:38 pm
I'm de-loading currently and going with little intensity and the body feels great. I was looking at a couple of animal training splits for my next split and noticed quite that I liked had hamstrings and quads on separate days. Personally, Ive never trained them on separate days, I just did overall leg days with calves included. To all the guys that do, does it make any difference or do they still grow at the same pace?

Back To Basics
12-01-10, 11:38 pm
Dividing them into two days is a excellent choice if your someone like me who has a really kick ass quad workout squats presses all that shit than when you get to hams you don't have it in you to finish it hard, if you find that its harder to get a good ham workout at the end of quads than yeah It would great and they might grow faster, they definitely will if you give them more attention than just stiff legs and some curls..
Hope I helped

C.Coronato
12-02-10, 10:10 am
I trained them on separate days a for a while. Before i split them up, i would do Quads first and then do hams, and by the time i got to hams i was so spent that i half ass the hams workout. Since then, i went back to training them all on one day, i just now do hams first, then quads.

theharjmann
12-02-10, 11:28 am
I have split them up recently and its the best thing ive done. Before, if i started on quads I would never have enough energy to hit hamstrings properly and vice versa.

I have now split them up and my legs are growing at a much faster rate.

Back To Basics
12-02-10, 6:08 pm
I have split them up recently and its the best thing ive done. Before, if i started on quads I would never have enough energy to hit hamstrings properly and vice versa.

I have now split them up and my legs are growing at a much faster rate.

I'm sure every lifter who goes hard and takes training very seriously has had the same experiences as us.

jeff00z28
12-02-10, 10:36 pm
imo just do both on both days

TheWolf
12-04-10, 2:08 am
Try and seperate... I have done both but one always lags. Its hard to do heavy squats and heavy deadlifts in the same day. Its better focus for the most part. You can worry about do high volume for both quads and hamstrings which is hard to achieve without overtraining.

Machine
12-04-10, 9:15 pm
The problem here is that almost all athletes across all sports undertrain the most athletically necessary part of the lower body. Train the Hamstrings first on your main quad day and then hit them brutally hard and basic after your shoulder day...you can get the best of both worlds.

Good luck

MACHINE

BarbellManiac
12-05-10, 9:27 am
My Split it training routine 10.

Mon- Chest/Calves/Abs
Tues- Quads
Wed- Arms/Abs
Thur- Back/Hamstrings/Calves
Fri- Shoulders/Traps
Sat and Sun Off.

What do you think?

Machine
12-05-10, 9:01 pm
My Split it training routine 10.

Mon- Chest/Calves/Abs
Tues- Quads
Wed- Arms/Abs
Thur- Back/Hamstrings/Calves
Fri- Shoulders/Traps
Sat and Sun Off.

What do you think?

Perfect through them right in after shoulders/traps you must nail these things with good mornings, suicide hamstring holds, and dumbell leg curls...this will work out just fine.

Good luck

MACHINE

BarbellManiac
12-06-10, 7:57 am
so switch back/hamstrings/calves with shoulders right? Sounds neat, but isn't it bad to train a smaller muscle group like shoulders before a larger one like back? or is it irrelevant since shoulders aren't used in back too much aside from stabilization?

C.Coronato
12-06-10, 10:04 am
Perfect through them right in after shoulders/traps you must nail these things with good mornings, suicide hamstring holds, and dumbell leg curls...this will work out just fine.

Good luck

MACHINE

I think i am going to start doing this. I have been running hams before quads on leg day since my show in July, but i want to hit them more. Can you give me some more reference on the suicide hamstring holds, just basically how to do them? Thanks Machine. Keep inspiring brother.

J-Dawg
12-06-10, 4:04 pm
I think i am going to start doing this. I have been running hams before quads on leg day since my show in July, but i want to hit them more. Can you give me some more reference on the suicide hamstring holds, just basically how to do them? Thanks Machine. Keep inspiring brother.

x2. These suicide hamstring holds are intriguing. Would be awesome if you could go more in depth on these Machine. Thanks in advance.

Machine
12-08-10, 8:44 pm
so switch back/hamstrings/calves with shoulders right? Sounds neat, but isn't it bad to train a smaller muscle group like shoulders before a larger one like back? or is it irrelevant since shoulders aren't used in back too much aside from stabilization?

Bad...not bad...these terms dont apply, just think in terms of overall productivity and addressable real time results. Dont overanalyze...thats my job...hahahaha.

MACHINE

Machine
12-08-10, 8:53 pm
x2. These suicide hamstring holds are intriguing. Would be awesome if you could go more in depth on these Machine. Thanks in advance.

SUICIDE HAMSTRING HOLDS...

You need a holder for these...

1. You need to kneel on a pad on the floor and allow enough pad for when you fall on your face.

2. Your holder will kneel behind you and place his or her knees on your feet and grasp your ankles to lock in place.

3. You will keep your hams, calves, hips, ass, and erector spinae extremely tight

4. You will lower yourself forward toward the floor, very slowly, with your hands touching your temples.

5. Your objective is too lower your self to the floor slowly and under control throughout the rep.

6. At first you will only be able to lower yourself through 1-2 reps, and you will definately need to reset by pushing yourself to the starting position with your arms.

7. Your long term objective is to eventually become competant enough to maintain this position...lower yourself to just touching the floor...and then curl your self back up to starting position under your own hamstring power.

8. After you develop exercise competancy; you will begin to string consecutive reps together for a set...dont be too hard on yourself...I work with professional athletes who cannot complete one suicide hold.

Good luck

MACHINE

BarbellManiac
12-08-10, 10:20 pm
Got it, hitting shoulders tomorrow then. Thanks Machine, very helpful responses.

theharjmann
12-09-10, 4:16 am
SUICIDE HAMSTRING HOLDS...

You need a holder for these...

1. You need to kneel on a pad on the floor and allow enough pad for when you fall on your face.

2. Your holder will kneel behind you and place his or her knees on your feet and grasp your ankles to lock in place.

3. You will keep your hams, calves, hips, ass, and erector spinae extremely tight

4. You will lower yourself forward toward the floor, very slowly, with your hands touching your temples.

5. Your objective is too lower your self to the floor slowly and under control throughout the rep.

6. At first you will only be able to lower yourself through 1-2 reps, and you will definately need to reset by pushing yourself to the starting position with your arms.

7. Your long term objective is to eventually become competant enough to maintain this position...lower yourself to just touching the floor...and then curl your self back up to starting position under your own hamstring power.

8. After you develop exercise competancy; you will begin to string consecutive reps together for a set...dont be too hard on yourself...I work with professional athletes who cannot complete one suicide hold.

Good luck

MACHINE

its amazing. i cannot do these either. but a GIRL can!

SHAME ON US!!! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6Ai5ty6oY

MojoMike36
12-09-10, 12:13 pm
I split quads and hams. Tuesday - Quads/Calves & Thursday - Back/Hams

C.Coronato
12-09-10, 1:13 pm
Thanks Machine.

tkdiesel50
12-09-10, 2:01 pm
I have done some past work with spliting quads/ hams and as well hitting legs all together in the same session. In recent weeks I have spilt legs to put a focus on quads on monday with more of a indirect ham workout.

Monday= Quads: (Squats, leg presses: wide placement superset with feet together placement, front squats, walking barbell lounges, leg extensions)
As well as calve work inbetween: Seated calf raises, donkey calf rasies, leg press calf raises.
Tuesday=Chest
Wed=OFF
Thursday= Back, Bi's, & Hams: (deadlifts, platform stiff leg deadlifts, lying leg curls.)
Friday= Shoulders and Tri's

This really seems to be working in the last few weeks. you do essentially hit hams 2 times a week this way, although Mondays is indirect ham work and is not nearly as effective to primary ham exercises.
just my thoughts.

Machine
12-09-10, 9:17 pm
Those Suicide Holds are tough huh?

Keep at it and you will know hamstring size, strength, and athletic ability previously unrealized.

MACHINE

jeff00z28
12-11-10, 11:32 am
i do those twice a week never heard them called that before, i just called em ghrs but did the negative slow to where going up is the easy part. it took me about 6 months to be able to do em without hands. good for squat and dead as well as hitting the entire hamstrings imo

Mattman33
01-01-11, 5:48 pm

Good luck

MACHINE

added this into my workout. i am the only one in my gym dong the suicide hamstring holds and i love it. i can feel my hamstrings growing and getting stronger. thanks for the advice. please keep it coming!

conjugalburns
01-01-11, 6:47 pm
Yeah I've just started routine 10, and it is my first split with the two divided. I have to say I like it much better than just a complete leg day

Machine
01-01-11, 7:02 pm
added this into my workout. i am the only one in my gym dong the suicide hamstring holds and i love it. i can feel my hamstrings growing and getting stronger. thanks for the advice. please keep it coming!

Glad it helped...keep pushing through.

MACHINE

BarbellManiac
01-01-11, 7:07 pm
I started incorporating Dumbbell Hamstring holds, basically you keep a D.B in the middle position of a curl for hamstrings. Boy does that hurt!